Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlanta Child Murders

conspiracybeliever

Does anyone know anything about the Atlanta Child Murders back in the late 70's and early 80's? I have a link that tells most of the story but I've read other things on this. In the Encyclopedia of Serial Killers it says they sent a spy into the KKK and he said that they were laughing because a black man was convicted of these murders and stopped the killings so it would look like he really did it. A lot of people don't believe he's guilty including families of children that were murdered. I think he's innocent. What do you think?

http://www.CarpeNoctem.tv

You'll have to copy that to your browser. Sorry.

I remember this case well , my best friends dad was the sherrif at the time and thought he was innocent too but could not prove it!

Isn't that sad? Look at how long this man has been in prison and we don't even know if he's guilty. And with everything I've seen and read about this case I believe he is innocent. And he was a young man. Not that that matters. It's so sad. And we haven't gotten... or our legal system/government hasn't gotten any smarter...or actually what I should say is they don't care any more about the truth than they did then.

Another disposable person. Case solved.

I've never believed this man to be guilty. He was framed to ward off the real perpetrators, influential politicians of Atlanta..

I too remember this case, and believe he was set up...What I don't understand is that with all the testing that can be done today, why has none been done on him. I guess it's much easier to pick up one person, make him the accused, and take the limelight for supposingly solving the case.

I know. Even if they can't prove who really did it they can still prove he didn't. Kind of scarey isn't it? And look at the Jon Bonet Ramsey case. Look at all the attention that one child got over the years and look at how many children were murdered in this time period in this one location and I haven't heard anything about it in years. And as far as I'm concerned it's an unsolved case. Sometimes when I look at the picture I wonder if the government's motive is the same as the KKK in this, to start a racial war.

The Child Molester Theory

On June 20, 2006, the state of Georgia asked a federal judge to reject Wayne Williams' latest effort to challenge his incarceration because lawyers for the convicted killer have failed to show any relevance between the case and an unnamed child molester on whom they have cast suspicion, according to Associated Press.

"Williams' lawyers have had months to subpoena records from the DeKalb County Police Department regarding the purported suspect and have failed to do so, Assistant Attorney General Mary Beth Westmoreland said.

'"There is no basis for doing so now,' Westmoreland wrote in an objection to Williams' request for a judge to reconsider her dismissal of his habeas corpus petition."

The unnamed convicted child molester worked in the vicinity where many of the victims' bodies were found. The documents, which recently resurfaced, suggested that the man, currently serving time in a Georgia prison for multiple molestation charges, was a "viable suspect in the child murders," although the information was never released to defense attorneys, it was reported.

When the defense team was unable to come up with evidence linking the molester to any of the crimes, the DeKalb police department dropped their investigation into the five murder cases involving Aaron Wyche, 10; Patrick Baltazar, 11; Curtis Walker, 13; Joseph Bell, 15; and William Barrett, 17. David Simpson reported that there just wasn't enough evidence to justify further investigation. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution quoted interim Police Chief Nick Marinelli saying, "We dredged up what we had, and nothing has panned out." Instead, he announced that they were going to turn their attention to other cold cases that were in his reach. For the meantime, Williams will remain in jail with little chance for appeal. It is likely he will remain incarcerated for the duration of his sentence.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_...ms/42_2006.html

Hello everyone! :)

Those carpet fibers, in my opinion, sealed the deal--making Williams a murderer (Nathanial Cater). Maybe Williams wasn't responsible for all of the murders that took place in Atlanta. His rouse as a talent scout-- even having cards and literature made up--added to me believing he was the murderer of some--maybe not all. A perfect tact to lure poor black city children. We can't disregard the fact that he was the only car on that bridge in the middle of the night during a stakeout where police heard the splash in the river below. Williams' car was stopped on that bridge at that very moment. When pulled over by police moments later, He gave a jive story. One has to read into that. The witness that came forward implicating the KKK as being involved, was (for me) not believable at all. What we have here, in my opinion, 30 years later, is conspiratorial jump-jive-wail bull! The fact that Williams was not actually convicted of any child murders opens the door for conspiracy theories to make their splash. Williams, in my opinion, is right where he belongs. Even his own father, before this happened, wondered what the heck was he doing bringing children in and out of his bedroom at night. His parents feared him.

wilcuf :)

• Like 1

Where did you get this information about the parents fearing him? And that link does nothing to prove this case against Wayne Williams to me.

Where did you get this information about the parents fearing him? And that link does nothing to prove this case against Wayne Williams to me.

Hello Judith C! :)

How I received the information (parents fearing him) was from the next door neighbor being interviewed by the news media. I was a teenager when Atlanta occurred. I remember seeing/hearing the neighbor stating this information right on my own television set. The bridge, the jive story,the fibers, and his outlook towards lower class blacks and his superiority complex paints me a picture of Wayne Williams. I don't think Williams murdered all of those children. But I do believe he murdered. We all have our opinions and I don't think Wayne Williams was lily white. Personally, I think he was a closet homosexual and his encounters with these young men were sexually motivated. Not accepting his homosexuality, he murdered after the encounters.

• Like 1

Hello Judith C! :)

How I received the information (parents fearing him) was from the next door neighbor being interviewed by the news media. I was a teenager when Atlanta occurred. I remember seeing/hearing the neighbor stating this information right on my own television set. The bridge, the jive story,the fibers, and his outlook towards lower class blacks and his superiority complex paints me a picture of Wayne Williams. I don't think Williams murdered all of those children. But I do believe he murdered. We all have our opinions and I don't think Wayne Williams was lily white. Personally, I think he was a closet homosexual and his encounters with these young men were sexually motivated. Not accepting his homosexuality, he murdered after the encounters.

Why do you think so many people in that area, even people who's children were murdered, people who knew him, are saying they don't believe he's guilty? Do you have an opinion about that? And if it's true that he murdered but not all of them shouldn't it still be investigated? It just seems like real sloppy police work. Extremely careless. We're talking about 20 children and no one even knows how many adults.

I should tell you that I'm two people. I write on here at home and also at work sometimes and I messed up my account last weekend and couldn't remember my password and registered again. I'm JudithC and conspiracybeliever. I know it's very confusing. They are supposed to cancel the JudithC one. Sorry.

I should tell you that I'm two people. I write on here at home and also at work sometimes and I messed up my account last weekend and couldn't remember my password and registered again. I'm JudithC and conspiracybeliever. I know it's very confusing. They are supposed to cancel the JudithC one. Sorry.

Now your throwing another mystery at us, jeez... :lol:

I know, sorry. I think it's funny though. I'm really not trying to confuse anyone. I keep getting email notifications that someone has left a message everytime I leave a message.

Hello there 2 people! haha :)

Yes, it's true many people--some close to Williams and some of the victims' families--didn't feel that "LIL O WAYNE" could murder anyone. People who knew Ted Bundy didn't think he was capable of murder. In fact, most murderers just blend right on in with the rest of us. For me, there's just too many little inconsistencies/idiosyncracies/circumstantial evidence for me to believe "LIL O WAYNE" didn't kill anybody. I'd like to know how people look past the bridge incident so easily. Conspiracy theories, in my opinion, are like wildfire and weeds--kept around to sell for profit. I do agree with you that the state of Georgia owed all the victims justice. I think the fact that the state should have done more and didn't opened the door for the conspiracy plague. Again, in my opinion, Wayne Williams is a murderer.

So you don't believe he killed all of the those people right? I think there are a conspiracy theories because people want to know the conspiracy theorits would like to know the whole truth and nothing but the truth. The fact is there are still so many questions after a police investigation and a trial. That's why we have a conspiracy theory. It looks like there is either a cover up or the authorities just didn't think these people were worth the time and effort to find out the truth.

So you don't believe he killed all of the those people right? I think there are a conspiracy theories because people want to know the conspiracy theorits would like to know the whole truth and nothing but the truth. The fact is there are still so many questions after a police investigation and a trial. That's why we have a conspiracy theory. It looks like there is either a cover up or the authorities just didn't think these people were worth the time and effort to find out the truth.

• 1 month later...

I think that WW murdered some.....be clearly not all of them...JMO

The neighbors interview was, many believe, the nail on the coffin for Williams. This neighbor did not like the Williams family, especially the parents and lied on more than one occasion to add to their media coverage.

My aunt and uncle's housekeeper knew the Williams family, as well as their neighbor. According to the housekeeper the neighbor would have claimed the family of Rev. Martin L. King was involved if they could get away with it.

He did it! C'mon.. his alibi stinks.... he's got 'insane eyes' and ill fitting glasses.

Ok, he might not have committed all the murders, but there hardly enough new evidence to say "My god! this man is completely innocent!

we have a complete miscarriage of justice here.."

Unless you're a member of OJ's dream team..

Yes but if there is enough evidence to say he didn't kill all he is accused of killing shouldn't this still be investigated. Because if he didn't there is another child killer still out there.

Yes but if there is enough evidence to say he didn't kill all he is accused of killing shouldn't this still be investigated. Because if he didn't there is another child killer still out there.

Is there still an epidemic of kids missing now?

Is there still an epidemic of kids missing now?

I think he is guilty. There was too much evidence. No one goes to such extremes to lure in children, especially with such elaborate items and is innocent. The main issue on the A&E special I watched was the argument that serial killers are white, not black, statistically speaking. Since this case, there have been numerous black serial killers. IMO, the racial tensions of this time really had a lot to do with this case. The black community really didn't want to admit one of their own was capable of doing this. I don't blame them, who wants to think that a neighbour could be responsible for killing numerous children? The whole situation in incredibly sad. But, him being on the bridge is what nailed it for me. And really, who would admit to it? Of course he would point the finger at anyone else that he could so as not to take the blame.