Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

CERN's LHC "Super Collider", is it dangerous?

ShaunZero

So, just how many MPG (miles per gallon) does the Space Shuttle get? :D;)

Is that before it drops it's engines after it drops it's engines or after it lands.

I am still trying to figuare out what this thread is about or against or what ever there doesn't seem to be any links.

Edited by danielost

I am really glad you posted this. I only half understand it what it does but my partner was all excited if a little irked at those who are predicting global disaster.

People are always afraid of the unknown and to those worried i think you should perhaps do a little more detialed reseach to ease your mind. i am aware one concerened poster already did this :) and guess what they didnt come back screaming doom and gloom afterwards ;) .

The oh noes the scientists are experimenting with big unknown scary stuff, they have gone too far ahh apocolypse is a little more holywood than the reality. As far as i can gather its a controlled experiment of a natural event so that it can be studied. The potential is to take us another level in understanding matter and how the universe works. That is indeed fascinating even for a numpty like me that hasnt got her head round the fine details yet :D

Edited by tipsy_munchkin

Chances are the machine has already been used 10 times by now. You honestly think they would build a 6 billion dollar machine and not use it the first second they could? On Sept 10th they will officially use it but they wouldn't purposely set themselves up for failure. If the machine was going to blow up the world or whatever nonsense is being spread it would have already happened.

Chances are the machine has already been used 10 times by now. You honestly think they would build a 6 billion dollar machine and not use it the first second they could? On Sept 10th they will officially use it but they wouldn't purposely set themselves up for failure. If the machine was going to blow up the world or whatever nonsense is being spread it would have already happened.

Running such a machine is an extremely complex process and not something one just turns on. Actually, the full potential, i.e. the 14TeV collision energies won't be realized before sometime next year. In the mean time a whole host of tests and experiments will be conducted and the energies will slowly be ramped up. And, no, it is not because they are afraid of annihilating the Earth. It is a question of calibration.

Cheers,

Badeskov

just to let people know there was a program on tonight on BBC four all about the LHC, people in the UK can re-watch it from tomorrow (friday) via the BBC's iplayer, the name of the program is 'The Big Bang Machine' :tu:

Probably already been said, but, it seems to be only the ignorant and those that have no idea what-so-ever in the realm of physics. Who seem to be against this LHC-PA, it's funny how the unknown can scare people, even though there are people who DO grasp the knowledge - or at least a semi-large portion of it - tell them it's going to be okay.

I for one don't understand most of the hardcore-physics, however. Little teeny tiny marbles - so called atoms - going real real fast then smashing into each other at the end of a big race-course, sounds pretty damn fun to me. Especially the explosion at the end of it all.

Is doomsday next Wednesday? (Sept 10, 2008)

LINKY

I say not, because it has been predicted that the aliens are coming to us Oct 14th, so we're at least guaranteed no doomsday til then, else how could that have been predicted?

Ok, I'm being sarcastic.

The linked article is a new version of the same old doomsday story with that large hadron collider, although I must admit, I like the way they detail how it will come about

Read the last part of the article for your answer:

So is there really a chance that the scientists have made a terrible miscalculation and that their new toy could inadvertently kill us all?

Happily, the simple answer is no. CERN's scientists have in fact commissioned several safety reviews (such as those that have taken place before other big particle accelerators have been turned on).

All have concluded that there is no measurable risk whatsoever. Perhaps the best argument against the LHC doomsday scenario is that cosmic rays - natural high-energy particles from space - smash into the Earth's atmosphere all the time with far, far more energy than will be generated by this machine.

If it were possible to create a dangerous black hole by simply bashing atomic particles together, this would have happened naturally long ago, and we wouldn't be here to build this particle accelerator in the first place. So we are safe.

In fact, what the scientists at CERN really fear is not the end of the world, but that their machine simply isn't big or powerful enough to uncover anything new - that to probe the deepest secrets of the cosmos they will have to ask for yet more cash to build something on an even greater scale.

Either that, or their equations are simply wrong and a whole new approach is needed, despite the billions they have spent.

Not a doomsday for Earth, perhaps, but a catastrophe for physics.

(emphasis added)

"The collider is currently undergoing commissioning while being cooled down to its final operating temperature of approximately 1.9 K (−271.25 °C). Initial particle beam injections were successfully carried out between 8-11th August 2008,[2][3] the first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for September 10, 2008,[4] and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on October 21, 2008."

On this date they're just circulating the beam through the LHC, the actual collisions start on October 21. Sorry for killing your doomsday. :P

On this date they're just circulating the beam through the LHC, the actual collisions start on October 21. Sorry for killing your doomsday. :P

Oh darn, so the aliens will still be coming round for a visit on Oct 14th after all... :lol:

"The collider is currently undergoing commissioning while being cooled down to its final operating temperature of approximately 1.9 K (−271.25 °C). Initial particle beam injections were successfully carried out between 8-11th August 2008,[2][3] the first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for September 10, 2008,[4] and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on October 21, 2008."

I don't want to believe that this actually could kill us all but there is that tiny chance that something could go wrong, I don't really understand all of the sciency stuff though,,,,

also funnily enough, october 21,,,,my birthday

My grandfather used to say-

"The world ends for whomever dies. Thats it."

wise words,

Program all about the "Big Bag Machine"

part one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHs7hu9hgKc

part two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxAlLCBbx3M...feature=related

part three

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SzEMtiteU0

part four

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwCfGAhq5jw...feature=related

part five

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxn2iSVrKF0...feature=related

just to let people know there was a program on tonight on BBC four all about the LHC, people in the UK can re-watch it from tomorrow (friday) via the BBC's iplayer, the name of the program is 'The Big Bang Machine' :tu:

this program is uploaded on youtube, links are in this post,

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...howtopic=134567

I'v been looking into this and find it all very intresting, there are possibilities that they will be able to prove that there are other dimensions aswell.

Holy crap there's a doomsday prediction every day now days. Didn't someone try to sue the company/scientists behind this?

I'v been looking into this and find it all very intresting, there are possibilities that they will be able to prove that there are other dimensions aswell.

they said the possibility of finding another dimension is 0.01%. but who knows, :D no-doubt about it though this experiment is going to change the way we view everything in the universe.

I'v read alot about this expriment and find it quite fasinating that this could not only hold the key to the start of the universe but could also prove the theory that there are parallel universes which is something I'v always believed in.

• Like 1

alright, let's just say that they do somehow have success making this portal somehow. well what if they unlocked a portal to hell or some place like that. would you really want to unlock Pandora's box and know that the only way to stop it is to put everything back in it before it kills everything living? I don't think I'd want to play with something that I didn't understand. But I highly doubt anything would happen.

:rolleyes:

I wish people would stop linking Daily Mail articles.

yeah, true, but since reading this post i cant get this experiment out of my head, i've done no research on the subject and so have an open'ish mind, but my gut instinct tells me something isn't right, why i don't know, am thinking surely scientist wouldn't carry out such an experiment if it could drastically wrong etc... but if scientist carry it out and in 15 days everything is fine and a complete success what good will come out of the experiment, what are the benefits to humanity?

I keep getting the same feeling as well. And anyone who says scientist knows what they're doing apparently hasn't been watching the news recently the past few months or years. NASA has been having problems with the Space Station in space, trouble with the shuttles, and even a ton of other things have been going wrong. Something is going to go wrong with this experiment, and I can feel it.

That's actually very wrong because before they can use it properly they have to get the tempurature down to -271 Kelvin (colder than space) and that takes months to achieve.

I keep getting the same feeling as well. And anyone who says scientist knows what they're doing apparently hasn't been watching the news recently the past few months or years. NASA has been having problems with the Space Station in space, trouble with the shuttles, and even a ton of other things have been going wrong. Something is going to go wrong with this experiment, and I can feel it.

A feeling isn't enough. Maybe you have a feeling because of all the hype surrounding it.

alright, let's just say that they do somehow have success making this portal somehow. well what if they unlocked a portal to hell or some place like that. would you really want to unlock Pandora's box and know that the only way to stop it is to put everything back in it before it kills everything living? I don't think I'd want to play with something that I didn't understand. But I highly doubt anything would happen.

I don't know about a portal to hell, thats a bit too Doom 'y ... but i think The Mist is a pretty good movie in terms of showing what could happen when you mess with dimensions lol