Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

CERN's LHC "Super Collider", is it dangerous?

ShaunZero

I still predict my liver will go out before the world end.

I still predict my liver will go out before the world end.

:rofl: I love seeing you back, SC!

I don't know about a portal to hell, thats a bit too Doom 'y ... but i think The Mist is a pretty good movie in terms of showing what could happen when you mess with dimensions lol

ah good old Doom. That game never gets old. Expecially Doom 3 for the Xbox original. But make sure you get the collector's edition, haha. *day dreaming about the game* playing at two in the morning with your headset on, surround sound turned up, pitch black room, and then a hell knight, nymph, pinky, or zombie, or some other demon like that jumps out at you from no where....ah Doom, how I love you so. Thanks to you I now enjoy shooting anything that moves with a shotgun in hand and a weapon at my command, hahaha.

North Central Positronics anyone? (Read The Dark Tower series to understand this name)

Just a joke, hopefully.

The facts of this upcoming experiment are based on theory. A well studied theory. But there still is that slight chance that everything could go kablooy!

I myself have a feeling that not much will happen at all. And very few, if any, findings will be found.

Don't ask me how I know. I just have a feeling, oh and faith too.

First Post Here...

Watched a fair few documentaries on this subject and still feel a little in the dark - don’t want to sound like a conspiracy nut but….

This machine meant to be the most advanced thing ever built by man costing billions of dollars, near 20 years to build this is immense project, but cant see the pay back – I cant seeing anyone investing in such a project on the back of a maybe and if something goes wrong it will be pretty bad. If anyone were to invest in such a thing with a risk attached and a large investment the payback must be something more than knowing how the universe formed, I don’t think be any government will invest in such a project to scratch a proverbial curiosity itch.

One other thing watching the BBC show the other night, the guy talking (cant remember his name) said that when cars were first invested people thought that the human body would not be able to withstand speeds excess of 30 MPH, this is true of course, but..

Project Motor Industry

Risk : Death of test driver

PAYPACK : Revolutionize transportation

Project CERN

Risk : Death of life as we know it

PAYPACK : Make Scientists feel better knowing were we came from.

well it looks like nothing is going to stop this experiment so, 'Que, Sera sera' 'Whatever will be, will be;

The future's not ours to see. Que sera, sera,

No pain, no gain in my opinion. If no-one had dared step out of the trees, we'd all still be eating bananas and chewing nuts now. It's our willingness to take risks and our abillity to deal with the consequences (if there are any) that has got us where we are today. Without it, it's back to clubbing women over the head to get a girlfriend.

well it looks like nothing is going to stop this experiment so, 'Que, Sera sera' 'Whatever will be, will be;

The future's not ours to see. Que sera, sera,

I certainly hope nothing will stop the experiment, what a pity otherwise ;)

Cheers,

Badeskov

I'm just excited to see what they find out. No looking back now

Cant see what there is to gain - ( this must be lack of knowledge on my part ) - but what exactly can we gain from this experiment - dont get me wrong I would be the first to push the button if this payoffs were big enough.

Cant see what there is to gain - ( this must be lack of knowledge on my part ) - but what exactly can we gain from this experiment - dont get me wrong I would be the first to push the button if this payoffs were big enough.

One of the ultimate goals is of course the verification of the presence (or absence) of the Higgs boson, however, a general wider understanding of our understanding of the observable universe on a quantum level. This obviously sounds very high flying, however, each addition to our understanding permeates the whole technological sector, i.e. in the end helping making us better computers, cell phones, hearing aids, implants and so on.

The possibilities are too many to list ;)

Cheers,

Badeskov

Cant see how it directly helps our progress, what is the Higgs boson and what is the importance to world.

you might have seen this but it explains what the higgs is, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxn2iSVrKF0...feature=related

I'm kind of excited about Wednesday - It's quite the 'wait and see' anticipation that's so much fun.

I thought it is going to be switched on today.

First attempt to circulate a stream of protons completely around the ring is Wed. It's probably going to be another few months until it's ramped up to full power.

Cant see how it directly helps our progress, what is the Higgs boson and what is the importance to world.

Oddly enough, a hundred and fifty years ago they were saying the same thing about the electron.

Look how that worked out.

Large Hadron Collider team sent death threats

By staff writers September 09, 2008 09:00am

SCIENTISTS about to conduct one of the world's biggest physics experiments have received death threats amidst fears they could destroy the world.

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC), a giant particle accelerator built by European science organisation CERN, will start its atom-smashing activities tomorrow in an experiment it is hoped will uncover some of the secrets of the Big Bang.

... the LHC team hopes to recreate conditions similar to the Big Bang and find answers to some of the biggest questions in physics, such as how to explain mass, gravity and dark matter.

While recent studies have disproved the doomsday scenario, CERN scientists have reportedly received death threats and pleas to stop the experiment.

The LHC experiment will be several times more powerful than anything else of its kind.

Scientists expect to find the theoretical Higgs-Boson Particle, or the God Particle, and gain a better understanding of things like antimatter, parallel universes and dark matter.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,...5014239,00.html

Large Hadron Collider team sent death threats

By staff writers September 09, 2008 09:00am

SCIENTISTS about to conduct one of the world's biggest physics experiments have received death threats amidst fears they could destroy the world.

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC), a giant particle accelerator built by European science organisation CERN, will start its atom-smashing activities tomorrow in an experiment it is hoped will uncover some of the secrets of the Big Bang.

... the LHC team hopes to recreate conditions similar to the Big Bang and find answers to some of the biggest questions in physics, such as how to explain mass, gravity and dark matter.

While recent studies have disproved the doomsday scenario, CERN scientists have reportedly received death threats and pleas to stop the experiment.

The LHC experiment will be several times more powerful than anything else of its kind.

Scientists expect to find the theoretical Higgs-Boson Particle, or the God Particle, and gain a better understanding of things like antimatter, parallel universes and dark matter.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,...5014239,00.html

A mini black hole is about to be created

and that folks will be THE END

First attempt to circulate a stream of protons completely around the ring is Wed. It's probably going to be another few months until it's ramped up to full power.

Actually, full power won't be before sometime next year. There is going to be a lot of calibrations happening as power is ramped up.

Cheers,

Badeskov

A mini black hole is about to be created

and that folks will be THE END

If a black hole were created, it would be smaller than a proton and would evaporate immediately.

I wonder about the people that send death threats. If these scientists are willing (according to these twits) to endanger the entire planet with a black hole, why would a death threat stop them?

I wonder about the people that send death threats. If these scientists are willing (according to these twits) to endanger the entire planet with a black hole, why would a death threat stop them?
Actually, I wonder what is it that causes people to send death threats in the first place. :huh: -- though this *is* off topic. ~~~

Regards,

Karlis

Never underestimate the power of fear mixed with ignorance.