Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

CERN's LHC "Super Collider", is it dangerous?

ShaunZero

And nothing happened! woooooh, we're all still alive, what a shocker!

yep, true, good observations, but have they smashed anything yet? and what's the latest?

They fired a beam of protons around it, they haven't started smashing anything yet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7604293.stm

cheers Emma. just seen on the news that the LHC has broken down twice, something about the beam getting stuck in section 6, but its back up and running, but does anyone know when they're going to smash the things, because thats the H -hour,

cheers Emma. just seen on the news that the LHC has broken down twice, something about the beam getting stuck in section 6, but its back up and running, but does anyone know when they're going to smash the things, because thats the H -hour,

It will probably be a month before anything gets smashed.

I must admit that i does worry me (just a bit mind you)were at the stage where they are trying what could be very dangerous experiments in unknown territory.Yes they recreating what happens in nature but we all know that when you mess with nature it tends to mess you up even worse

I must admit that i does worry me (just a bit mind you)were at the stage where they are trying what could be very dangerous experiments in unknown territory.Yes they recreating what happens in nature but we all know that when you mess with nature it tends to mess you up even worse

Eh, why do you think so?! In my opinion, that is just nonsense. We are not messing with nature and nature is not going to mess us up.

Cheers,

Badeskov

I believe that the scientists estimate collisions will happen towards the end of the year, depending on how everything goes until then (no unforseen breakdowns, calibrations according to schedule and so on). It won't be before in a year or so the true potential is unleashed and the energy is cranked all the way up.

So still some time to go ;)

Cheers,

Badeskov

Cheers for the replies people, what a farce this is, we have the media jumping up and down, waving their willies in the air because the earth didnt get destroyed, yet nothing has happened yet, they've flicked the switch so we have power, they've sent one beam one way, and the other beam the other, and that's it, now its come to light, the 'danger point' for the people who think its 'thee end' is when the smashing takes place, and this is a good few weeks away, and then we all have to wait until next year for full power, what a bloody waste of time,

we'll all have to come back when they smash something, am very, very disappointed, on other peoples advice am sitting here in my dinner suit with a vol-au-vent in one hand a glass of pimms in the other and "this is the end" playing in the background,

i feel a little silly now, :blush:

Eh, why do you think so?! In my opinion, that is just nonsense. We are not messing with nature and nature is not going to mess us up.

Cheers,

Badeskov

It's not really nonsense.particles smash into the earths atmosphere all the time thats similar to what there atempting to do.Just in a supposed safe enviroment.As for not messing with nature just one word the o-zone

It's not really nonsense.particles smash into the earths atmosphere all the time thats similar to what there atempting to do.Just in a supposed safe enviroment.As for not messing with nature just one word the o-zone

Yes, but I fail to see where we mess with nature by high energy proton collisions. As you say yourself, that happens all the time in our upper atmosphere. Now we are just doing it here on Earth in a controlled environment, albeit at much lower energies.

It's like being afraid to turn on your shower in case something nasty happens even though it is raining cats and dogs outside.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov

Do you get all your scientific information from the Daily Mail?

Do you get all your scientific information from the Daily Mail?

No from yahoo news.I never said i understand it thats why it worries me .Do the scientists know that its safe or do they think that its safe.Its a big difference between the two.The last time they were messing about with that kind of thing on as big a scale they created the a-bomb thats what concerns me.

"Where is the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!"

linked-image

Can't wait to see what they find...

No from yahoo news.I never said i understand it thats why it worries me .Do the scientists know that its safe or do they think that its safe.Its a big difference between the two.The last time they were messing about with that kind of thing on as big a scale they created the a-bomb thats what concerns me.

They *know* that it is safe. And you can't really compare LHC and the creation of the a-bomb. The a-bomb wasn't a side result of some other experiment. The Manhatten project had the sole aim of creating nuclear weapons! Honestly, what do you fear will happen?!

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov

They *know* that it is safe. And you can't really compare LHC and the creation of the a-bomb. The a-bomb wasn't a side result of some other experiment. The Manhatten project had the sole aim of creating nuclear weapons! Honestly, what do you fear will happen?!

Cheers,

Badeskov

HOW do they know that its safe because they done some calculations on a computer to gauge something that they have mostly theorized about .Because they never done an experiment of this magnitude before .Most non-earth physics is theory because they can't get out there to see what really happens in deep space all they know is what they see from hubble and the like.Yes the manhatten project was to create the a-bomb but bid they forsee the long term devestation that it would cause from fallout

HOW do they know that its safe because they done some calculations on a computer to gauge something that they have mostly theorized about .Because they never done an experiment of this magnitude before .Most non-earth physics is theory because they can't get out there to see what really happens in deep space all they know is what they see from hubble and the like.Yes the manhatten project was to create the a-bomb but bid they forsee the long term devestation that it would cause from fallout

They *know* because this is happening all around us all day, every day and has been happening since the Earth was created and we are still here. This is a pebble gun compared to the huge guns the Universe is wielding every single day. It is really very simple. To bring out the shower comparison again: if you got wet every single day from walking in the rain, would you be afraid of getting wet in the shower?! It is exactly the same.

Yes, the scientists working at the Manhatten project foresaw the implications of their work.

Cheers,

Badeskov

LHC switch-on fears are completely unfounded

The Institute of Physics

5 September 2008

A new report published on Friday, 5 September, provides the most comprehensive evidence available to confirm that the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)’s switch-on, due on Wednesday next week, poses no threat to mankind. Nature’s own cosmic rays regularly produce more powerful particle collisions than those planned within the LHC, which will enable nature’s laws to be studied in controlled experiments.

Full article

It was a kind of joke, I wasn't being harsh. The Daily mail is known for its slightly knee-jerk reactions to situations.

There is no comparison at all between the a bomb and LHC. Seriously. Just because something is Big Science, doesn't mean its dangerous. Please do some research before jumping to conclusions!

HOW do they know that its safe because they done some calculations on a computer to gauge something that they have mostly theorized about .

Wrong! Oberon.They did not do some mere theoretical calculations on a computer and thought that OK we can begin construction on the LHC.Years before construction even began, extremely sophisticated simulations using the data collected from smaller particle accelerators were conducted on the worlds most powerful super computers to calculate the reactions that would occur on the scale of the LHC.Then the enormous amount of data was accumulated and used to plan and construct the LHC.

This type of project is not just mathematicians theorizing and crunching numbers.This is a international joint venture that houses the worlds smartest scientists,they will not just decide one day over a cup of coffee and some paper work to construct a project like this

And another thing.You most certainly can not compare the LHC with the A-bomb.The LHC and I have said this before uses subatomic particles where a A-bomb blows apart a plutonium core the size of a tennis ball using fission .

You should really reconsider using those type of claims as a valid argument when comparing instances like the LHC and the A-bomb.The deference between them are miles apart from each other.

You can die from it if your in there.

It can be used as a weapon and they have only turned it on once.

If it were to be go really wrong it could create a blackhole that would probably instantly kill us all in less than a second

Edited by Fenzo