Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

CERN's LHC "Super Collider", is it dangerous?

ShaunZero

Two words: Scare Mongering.

I am amazed at the nonsense some people think up in regard to the LHC due in part to lack of knowledge .

There is absolutely NO way that the LHC can create even a small black hole as have been concluded a insurmountable amount of times in this thread.

Ooh come on its pretty funny :-p

My Concerns About Cern

In theory, scientists believe that by recreating the moments just after the Big Bang, that they may be able to find that elusive thing which holds all matter together which has been dubbed the God Particle.

Even with all their scientific knowledge, science still can not explain why matter holds together. They haven't got a clue. According to everything science knows all matter should just fly apart because according to physics there is nothing holding us together.

So, scientists have created a giant particle accelerator which they plan to use to find this God Particle. The only problem with this is that in so doing, science just may destroy the very world they are trying to examine.

You see, this CERN project has the very great possibility of creating some bad side effects while it is smashing these particles together. Some of which are creating dark matter, strange matter and microscopic black holes.

If the scientist create strange matter, the result could be that the earth could explode, and if they create a black hole the earth could be sucked into this black hole in a matter of 4 years. They aren't sure what dark matter would do as far as I could tell, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be good.

Seeing as how they turned this particle accelerator on on the 10th and have plans to start these experiments now, I'm looking for anything to happen, especially since I believe in circular time. Although, I believe that it happens on a smaller scale than the creation of the universe.

Circular time basically means that we have lived these events before in cycles. The Native American tribe called the Hopi explain this concept in their legends.

According to my understanding of circular time, this could also explain the great flood stories of the world and the legend of Atlantis. This means that the world has grown to a technologically advanced state before and then something happened that caused a world wide disaster. Then there was a time which was a recreation period and then it all started over again.

According to Hopi legends, in the event of this world wide disaster there has been a place of hiding that has been maintained through the ages. So, should the worst case scenario with this CERN project happen, I believe that this hiding place will be activated.

My Concerns About Cern

In theory, scientists believe that by recreating the moments just after the Big Bang, that they may be able to find that elusive thing which holds all matter together which has been dubbed the God Particle.

Even with all their scientific knowledge, science still can not explain why matter holds together. They haven't got a clue. According to everything science knows all matter should just fly apart because according to physics there is nothing holding us together.

So, scientists have created a giant particle accelerator which they plan to use to find this God Particle. The only problem with this is that in so doing, science just may destroy the very world they are trying to examine.

You see, this CERN project has the very great possibility of creating some bad side effects while it is smashing these particles together. Some of which are creating dark matter, strange matter and microscopic black holes.

If the scientist create strange matter, the result could be that the earth could explode, and if they create a black hole the earth could be sucked into this black hole in a matter of 4 years. They aren't sure what dark matter would do as far as I could tell, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be good.

Did you happen to read through this thread explaining why you are wrong and nothing will happen?! It is complete unfounded nonsense, sorry.

Seeing as how they turned this particle accelerator on on the 10th and have plans to start these experiments now, I'm looking for anything to happen, especially since I believe in circular time. Although, I believe that it happens on a smaller scale than the creation of the universe.

OK, but nothing will happen.

Circular time basically means that we have lived these events before in cycles. The Native American tribe called the Hopi explain this concept in their legends.

According to my understanding of circular time, this could also explain the great flood stories of the world and the legend of Atlantis. This means that the world has grown to a technologically advanced state before and then something happened that caused a world wide disaster. Then there was a time which was a recreation period and then it all started over again.

According to Hopi legends, in the event of this world wide disaster there has been a place of hiding that has been maintained through the ages. So, should the worst case scenario with this CERN project happen, I believe that this hiding place will be activated.

So you believe there is a hiding place that will protect the Earth even if the Earth is gobbled up by a black hole?! Care to explain how that works out?!

Cheers,

Badeskov

You can die from it if your in there.

Meaning that you stick your head inside the machinery?! Not that you can, but if you could that wouldn't be healthy, that is correct. Just as you don't stab yourself with a screwdriver.

It can be used as a weapon and they have only turned it on once.

????? And how does that work?! I cannot even begin to fathom how the LHC could be fielded as a weapon...

Cheers,

Badeskov

So you believe there is a hiding place that will protect the Earth even if the Earth is gobbled up by a black hole?! Care to explain how that works out?!

Cheers,

Badeskov

The Hopi legends have them coming to this world from another place. That's undoubtedly what this New Age liberal arts major is talking about.

The Hopi legends have them coming to this world from another place. That's undoubtedly what this New Age liberal arts major is talking about.

Aah, ok. So I guess they would recreate Earth after it was destroyed, reseed it and wait for the self-inflicted Armeggedon to happen all over again?! Sounds as fun as watching paint dry ;)

Cheers,

Badeskov

What ?? :huh: .Science never concluded that theory.Show me conclusive proof in a trusted science book that has that phrase written down in it.

Pure Nonsense!.That looks more like your own hypothesis.The scientists that are working on this project have more understanding on the LHC and its intended use than you will hope to gain.

Nope WRONG AGAIN.

Again that is your hypothesis.

Do your self a favor and read before making the ridiculous claims about the LHC

CERN - Homepage:

http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/

Aah LEGENDS.What does the name comply: It only exists in myth its not True.

Well keep on believing as what you are postulating will not happen.

Aah, ok. So I guess they would recreate Earth after it was destroyed, reseed it and wait for the self-inflicted Armeggedon to happen all over again?! Sounds as fun as watching paint dry ;)

Cheers,

Badeskov

Haha.Well put Badeskov :tu:

Damn!! We're still here. Looks like borrowing that 10 grand from Mad Mike The Axe-Wielding Loan Shark was a bad move after all. :whistle:

What causes the same phenomena to be stronger in nature than in the LHC? I read that in the LHC, the particles are traveling at 99.9% the speed of light... so if it can't go any faster than that, what else is making it so much more powerful in nature than in the LHC, as claimed?

Cheers,

Badeskov

No, it won't protect the earth, only those who enter into it.

Edited by zions_watchman

Did you happen to read through this thread explaining why you are wrong and nothing will happen?! It is complete unfounded nonsense, sorry.

OK, but nothing will happen.

Cheers,

Badeskov

I actually took the time to research Cern and read everything that they themselves put out, and they admit that there is a small chance that all the things I mentioned might happen.

What ?? :huh: .Science never concluded that theory.Show me conclusive proof in a trusted science book that has that phrase written down in it.

Pure Nonsense!.That looks more like your own hypothesis.The scientists that are working on this project have more understanding on the LHC and its intended use than you will hope to gain.

Nope WRONG AGAIN.

CERN - Homepage:

http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/

Well keep on believing as what you are postulating will not happen.

Well then I guess the people who put up the CERN website have no idea what they are talking about.

Edited by zions_watchman

What causes the same phenomena to be stronger in nature than in the LHC? I read that in the LHC, the particles are traveling at 99.9% the speed of light... so if it can't go any faster than that, what else is making it so much more powerful in nature than in the LHC, as claimed?

I know I replied to this before.

What happened to my other post?

Well then I guess the people who put up the CERN website have no idea what they are talking about.

You're linking to the front page of a very large and complex site. Point to something specific and I'll explain why you don't understand what you're pointing to.

While I'm willing to believe that the people posting on the CERN website know what they're talking about , I'm also willing to believe that you don't understand what they're saying.

If you want to post something specific, I'll be happy to address it. In the mean time, I'm not going to spend much time debating with someone who's only knowledge of physics is Ex-Lax.

I actually took the time to research Cern and read everything that they themselves put out, and they admit that there is a small chance that all the things I mentioned might happen.

There is always a chance that something will happen on a quantum mechanical level, just like your molecules could suddenly decide to rearrange themselves to form a stack of lemon cakes. However, we are talking probabilities so low that in effect it means that it will not happen.

Cheers,

Badeskov

It is the relativistic nature of this process. You have to look at the energy of the particle, which will probably give you a much clearer picture of what is going on. A particle traveling at 99.99% of the speed of light has vastly more energy than one traveling at 99.9%. And a particle traveling at 99.999% of c even more energy. It is all governed by the Lorentz factor. From Wiki:

linked-image

where the small gamma equals v/c. I.e., the velocity of the particle divided by the speed of light. Thus, from the same Wiki page we find the following table:

Speed Lorentz factor Reciprocal

β = v / c γ 1 / γ

0.000 1.000 1.000

0.100 1.005 0.995

0.200 1.021 0.980

0.300 1.048 0.954

0.400 1.091 0.917

0.500 1.155 0.866

0.600 1.250 0.800

0.700 1.400 0.714

0.800 1.667 0.600

0.866 2.000 0.500

0.900 2.294 0.436

0.990 7.089 0.141

0.999 22.366 0.045

So as the particle velocity closes in on the speed of light the the Lorentz factor goes towards infinity, which is also why a particle with mass can never reach the speed of light in physics as we know it.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov

I've recently read up a bit more, and some are claiming that one vital difference between particles slamming in nature, and those slamming in the LHC, is the fact that when particles slam together in nature(Cosmic Rays), they are moving far too fast to be caught by Earth's gravitational pull. They claim that the LHC will be slamming particles together that COULD produce mini black holes(MBH) that aren't traveling fast enough to escape the Earth's pull.

This is also assuming that Hawking Radiation does not exist. I could be wrong, but didn't someone mention that the production of MBH's and Hawking Radiation are in one single theory, and that one can't exist without the other? And if Hawking Radiation does not exist, and these MBH's do exist in nature and escape the pull of Earth, it would seem that they'd eventually get caught in some place or another, not too far from Earth and grow, am I wrong? So, this alone is enough to dismiss what they are claiming.

Edited by ShaunZero

I've recently read up a bit more, and some are claiming that one vital difference between particles slamming in nature, and those slamming in the LHC, is the fact that when particles slam together in nature(Cosmic Rays), they are moving far too fast to be caught by Earth's gravitational pull. They claim that the LHC will be slamming particles together that COULD produce mini black holes(MBH) that aren't traveling fast enough to escape the Earth's pull.

When a cosmic ray slams into the atmosphere it's already headed down. They don't have to be caught by Earths gravity.

This is also assuming that Hawking Radiation does not exist. I could be wrong, but didn't someone mention that the production of MBH's and Hawking Radiation are in one single theory, and that one can't exist without the other? And, if Hawking Radiation does not exist, and these other MBH's do exist and escape the pull of Earth, it would seem that they'd eventually get caught in some place or another, not too far from Earth and grow, am I wrong? So, this alone is enough to dismiss what they are claiming.

Hawking radiation has a good theoretical basis. If micro black holes did not evaporate, we'd be awash in those produced during the BB.