Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Frankenrobot' has biological brain

UM-Bot

news icon rMeet Gordon, probably the world's first robot to be controlled exclusively by living brain tissue.

Stitched together from cultured rat neurons, Gordon's primitive grey matter was designed at the University of Reading by scientists who unveiled the neuron-powered machine on Wednesday.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Discovery Channel

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• seanph

• MasterPo

• Shuriken

• www375

I couldn't agree more. This is absolutely fascinating! I wonder how long it will be before we have an actual "Data"?

Most kindly,

Sean

Ditto. The possibilities for artificial limb controls (amoung other things) are astounding.

wow, I didn't even know it was possible. That's a big step, I would say.

Cyborgs aren't aroundthe corner just yet. ;)

Getting a few neurons to fire and cause a cricut to activate is a good start. But there's no cognative process in control. Just cells. IOW, it's a very big leap from a single cell's impulse causing an electronic circut to operate to having a person with an implant just think about moving their hand or leg and it happens.

But it seems like a darn good start! :tu:

what so this things 'alive'

if you think bout it it kind of is really

if you were in a terrible accident and only your brain surived, and u had artificial everything put back on, you wouldnt be considerd dead now would you?

i find it cool tho btw lol

RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

W

WWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

^^i got bored :wacko:

................... :tu:

Edited by XITSALLGOODX

prologue of cyber man (from Dr who)

I've read for years the idea of implanting a chip that contains all the info in an encyclopedia or a library of text books etc and being able to access the info by thought.

That would be awewsome! Totally change the way learning is done, maybe even make school as we know it obsolete.

Yes! :lol:;)

Someone call Sarah Connor.......................... :P

I'd try John instead. ;)

This is a wonderful time to live in,the limitless boundries of mans imagination are at work here. It maybe many years before we try to build such systems that duplicate the human brain. But bionic and cyborg development is comeing. The brain is in its self a universe of the unknow still today.We know more about the deepest oceans than all the workings of the brain,and we no very little of the deep oceans. But to think one day the ability to build neuron connections that aid in the function of intergrated systems such as we imagin in the Sci-Fi world we again are the creators,key word there.We think it so then we try to build it! Thats the amazeing thing. Man`s ability to explore the limitness of every thing around us. I belive that mans mind is very unique in the Universe. Keep lookin its bound to happen. All that we can imagine we can see come to be.IMO.just DONTEATUS

I couldn't agree more. And I certainly hope they make strides quickly. Being disabled -- paralyzed from the shoulders down -- I would love to see some broad leaps in all these areas. The future, if we don't all kill each other first, will be most incredible.

Most kindly,

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

No Blueguardian, I am also rather disturbed by this 'experiment'.

One day man will take a step too far and won't be able to backtrack, dooming us all through 'sheer curiosity'.

Just cos something CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.

Probably the greatest lesson man can learn.