Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sphinx statues found in Egypt

UM-Bot

news icon rEgyptian archaeologists have unearthed four small statues of the Sphinx, the mythological figure of a lion with a human head, the Higher Council of Antiquities said on Friday.

The headless sandstone statues were found on a road linking the ancient temples of Luxor and Karnak in southern Egypt, antiquities supremo Zahi Hawass said in a statement.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Yahoo! News

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paracelse

• Sag!ttarius

• Oen Anderson

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm Interesting,, wonder though why they didnt describe the reason they figured they were left in this particular spot, I mean what types of importance is in the area on this ancient road between the two temples,

Ironically they are headless...

Yeah! Why are they headless? You'd think at least 1 or 2 of them would still have a head, even if broken up, lying not too far from the bodies. Someone didn't want us to know they didn't originally have a human face? :alien:

:lol:

Yeah! Why are they headless? You'd think at least 1 or 2 of them would still have a head, even if broken up, lying not too far from the bodies. Someone didn't want us to know they didn't originally have a human face? :alien:

:lol:

Could be for the same reason that the head of the sphinx at giza was recarved.

if its headless how do you know its a sphinx? maybe its just a plain lion :D

if its headless how do you know its a sphinx? maybe its just a plain lion :D

Did the egyptians make statues of regular lions?

Edited by 1.618

I too once unearthed a statue of the Egyptian sphinx. It was headless, just like these four newly unearthed sphinxes. Also, the paws were missing. But it was pretty clear to me that it was an Egyptian sphinx. I dated the relic at around 4,000 BC, give or take. I can't remember where I put the thing, but I recall that I kept it for quite a while. This was years ago, of course. It was fascinating! Quite a find.

(Don't get me wrong, I love Unexplained Mysteries. I love Egypt. I love the Great Spinx. I love all mysteries and exciting rare finds. But 4 little headless statues of the sphinx? Come on!)

I too once unearthed a statue of the Egyptian sphinx. It was headless, just like these four newly unearthed sphinxes. Also, the paws were missing. But it was pretty clear to me that it was an Egyptian sphinx. I dated the relic at around 4,000 BC, give or take. I can't remember where I put the thing, but I recall that I kept it for quite a while. This was years ago, of course. It was fascinating! Quite a find.

(Don't get me wrong, I love Unexplained Mysteries. I love Egypt. I love the Great Spinx. I love all mysteries and exciting rare finds. But 4 little headless statues of the sphinx? Come on!)

WTF????

I don't trust Zahi Hawass. The past has shown him to pander to his own ideas of history and "adjust" things to fit into his beliefs. He has an obvious agenda in his portrayal of early Egypt. AND, he is one of the driving forces that refuses scientists to dig under the front paw of the Sphynx and uncover the hidden chamber that is supposed to contain the "secrets of the world."

I don't trust Zahi Hawass. The past has shown him to pander to his own ideas of history and "adjust" things to fit into his beliefs. He has an obvious agenda in his portrayal of early Egypt. AND, he is one of the driving forces that refuses scientists to dig under the front paw of the Sphynx and uncover the hidden chamber that is supposed to contain the "secrets of the world."

I don't trust Hawass either, although I sincerely believe he does what he does for "National Pride". Nobody would dare suggest Egyptians didn't build the pyramids, but merely ended up occupying them, just like the Mayans ended up as occupants of their "own" pyramids... :yes:

The true age of the Sphinx has been calculated to 12,450 B.C. The Egyptians did not make it. Those who made the pyramids and the Sphinx came from what we now know is Antarctica. They were the Atlantis people, and their nation was covered by water, two miles of frozen water. At the bottom of all that ice lies the true secrets my friends.

The true age of the Sphinx has been calculated to 12,450 B.C. The Egyptians did not make it. Those who made the pyramids and the Sphinx came from what we now know is Antarctica. They were the Atlantis people, and their nation was covered by water, two miles of frozen water. At the bottom of all that ice lies the true secrets my friends.

how did you know it?

any source?

how did you know it?

any source?

The book "Fingerprints of the Gods" by Grahm Hancock is an excellent source!

The book "Fingerprints of the Gods" by Grahm Hancock is an excellent source!

Graham has changed his Atlantis/Egypt tune quite a bit since writing "Fingerprints of the Gods".

• 1 month later...
Perhaps we'll finally get to see what the face originally looked like.

They were headless... sorry

An interesting book to read would be The stargate conspiracy by Picknett and Prince, albeit to be taken with a grain of salt

Last time I checked Dr Shoe (spelling unchecked) professor of Geology at Boston U gave an age of at least 7500 years which is far from the the pyramidobable of 12500 described by Anthony West, Graham Hanckok and Robert Bauval...

But it is really really strange 3 statues of the sphynx are found an are headless, leaving no clue as to what the sphynx looked like when they were made.