Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Democratic National Convention

acidhead

So I missed Obama's speech (caught stevie wonder tho).. anyone got some of the bullet points?

see now I missed Stevie Wonder ! Actually Obama's speech was the only one I caught ( I did watch Hilliarys on youtube)

Powerful. You have to watch it because a description isn't enough. I'm sure youtube or somewhere will have it up.

All I can say is the debates with McCain ought to be enjoyable. I'm going to sit back with popcorn .

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishAidan07

• Incorrigible1

• CosmicStaR

• AROCES

see now I missed Stevie Wonder ! Actually Obama's speech was the only one I caught ( I did watch Hilliarys on youtube)

Powerful. You have to watch it because a description isn't enough. I'm sure youtube or somewhere will have it up.

All I can say is the debates with McCain ought to be enjoyable. I'm going to sit back with popcorn .

If McCain picks Romney as his VP I'll enjpy the VP debate more... I'd love to see someone tear Romney apart after the speech he gave when he withdrew from the primaries. I believe he said something along the lines of, atheists don't exist and the democrats support terrorists.

Alot of the crowd shots were great. Many people were brought to tears. You would have thought they were in the midst of Jesus Christ himself.

I didn't see Keith Olberman's response though. But I bet his man-crush for Obama became even deeper. Olberman and Chris Matthew's are probably going to have to duke it out for Obama's love.

So I missed Obama's speech (caught stevie wonder tho).. anyone got some of the bullet points?

Promised the moon/stars while lowering taxes on good people but more taxes for evil rich. The election isn't about BHO, it's about "you."

Alot of the crowd shots were great. Many people were brought to tears. You would have thought they were in the midst of Jesus Christ himself.

Page 1 of the playbook, eh? Turn an amazing strength into some kind of weakness. Obama is an inspirational leader that, yes, can move people to tears with a powerful and amazing piece or oratory. D'oh, that's bad (somehow)!

You my friend are the politics of the past. Step aside.

Obama is an inspirational leader that, yes, can move people to tears with a powerful and amazing piece or oratory. D'oh, that's bad (somehow)!

I can think of plenty of other leaders who were great orators with the power to move their crowd to tears. Can you? It's fine to admire oratory, but it's not fine to think that's a qualification, in and of itself, to be a national leader.

I can think of plenty of other leaders who were great orators with the power to move their crowd to tears. Can you? It's fine to admire oratory, but it's not fine to think that's a qualification, in and of itself, to be a national leader.

But what else does the freshman Senator from Illinois have to offer?

Of course not. I firmly agree. Of course, serving the government for decades does not make a good president either.

Lincoln for example served only a small amount of time in the government before coming president.

In addition, can we think of any other leaders who had harsh tempers and were war friendly like McCain?

But what else does the freshman Senator from Illinois have to offer?

Perhaps the best economic plan, the best foreign policy plan(besides perhaps Ron Paul's), the best technology plan, the best educational plan, and the best environmental/energy plan?

Perhaps the best economic plan, the best foreign policy plan(besides perhaps Ron Paul's), the best technology plan, the best educational plan, and the best environmental/energy plan?

There's that darned "Perhaps" word.

There's that darned "Perhaps" word.

Yeah, I put that there because it is arguable that Clinton, Richardson, Paul, and Kucinich have/had equal/better plans in the same field.

I suppose Hillary did have a better social policy; She did less religious pandering then Barack, and she wasn't gang-pressed into voting for FISA. Other then that, they are pretty equal on social issues.

Cheers,

SQLserver

Charles Krauthammer

Friday, August 29, 2008; Page A15

Barack Obama is an immensely talented man whose talents have been largely devoted to crafting, and chronicling, his own life. Not things. Not ideas. Not institutions. But himself.

Nothing wrong or even terribly odd about that, except that he is laying claim to the job of crafting the coming history of the United States. A leap of such audacity is odd. The air of unease at the Democratic convention this week was not just a result of the Clinton psychodrama. The deeper anxiety was that the party was nominating a man of many gifts but precious few accomplishments -- bearing even fewer witnesses.

When John Kerry was introduced at his convention four years ago, an honor guard of a dozen mates from his Vietnam days surrounded him on the podium attesting to his character and readiness to lead. Such personal testimonials are the norm. The roster of fellow soldiers or fellow senators who could from personal experience vouch for John McCain is rather long. At a less partisan date in the calendar, that roster might even include Democrats Russ Feingold and Edward Kennedy, with whom John McCain has worked to fashion important legislation.

Eerily missing at the Democratic convention this year were people of stature who were seriously involved at some point in Obama's life standing up to say: I know Barack Obama. I've been with Barack Obama. We've toiled/endured together. You can trust him. I do.

Hillary Clinton could have said something like that. She and Obama had, after all, engaged in a historic, utterly compelling contest for the nomination. During her convention speech, you kept waiting for her to offer just one line of testimony: I have come to know this man, to admire this man, to see his character, his courage, his wisdom, his judgment. Whatever. Anything.

Instead, nothing. She of course endorsed him. But the endorsement was entirely programmatic: We're all Democrats. He's a Democrat. He believes what you believe. So we must elect him -- I am currently unavailable -- to get Democratic things done. God bless America.

Clinton's withholding the "I've come to know this man" was vindictive and supremely self-serving -- but jarring, too, because you realize that if she didn't do it, no one else would. Not because of any inherent deficiency in Obama's character. But simply as a reflection of a young life with a biography remarkably thin by the standard of presidential candidates.

Who was there to speak about the real Barack Obama? His wife. She could tell you about Barack the father, the husband, the family man in a winning and perfectly sincere way. But that takes you only so far. It doesn't take you to the public man, the national leader.

Who is to testify to that? Hillary's husband on night three did aver that Obama is "ready to lead." However, he offered not a shred of evidence, let alone personal experience with Obama. And although he pulled it off charmingly, everyone knew that, having been suggesting precisely the opposite for months, he meant not a word of it.

Obama's vice presidential selection, Joe Biden, naturally advertised his patron's virtues, such as the fact that he had "reached across party lines to . . . keep nuclear weapons out of the hands of terrorists." But securing loose nukes is as bipartisan as motherhood and as uncontroversial as apple pie. The measure was so minimal that it passed by voice vote and received near zero media coverage. .........................

Charles Krauthammer

Barack Obama is an immensely talented man whose talents have been largely devoted to crafting, and chronicling, his own life. Not things. Not ideas. Not institutions. But himself.

Nothing wrong or even terribly odd about that, except that he is laying claim to the job of crafting the coming history of the United States. A leap of such audacity is odd. The air of unease at the Democratic convention this week was not just a result of the Clinton psychodrama. The deeper anxiety was that the party was nominating a man of many gifts but precious few accomplishments -- bearing even fewer witnesses.

When John Kerry was introduced at his convention four years ago, an honor guard of a dozen mates from his Vietnam days surrounded him on the podium attesting to his character and readiness to lead. Such personal testimonials are the norm. The roster of fellow soldiers or fellow senators who could from personal experience vouch for John McCain is rather long. At a less partisan date in the calendar, that roster might even include Democrats Russ Feingold and Edward Kennedy, with whom John McCain has worked to fashion important legislation.

Eerily missing at the Democratic convention this year were people of stature who were seriously involved at some point in Obama's life standing up to say: I know Barack Obama. I've been with Barack Obama. We've toiled/endured together. You can trust him. I do.

Hillary Clinton could have said something like that. She and Obama had, after all, engaged in a historic, utterly compelling contest for the nomination. During her convention speech, you kept waiting for her to offer just one line of testimony: I have come to know this man, to admire this man, to see his character, his courage, his wisdom, his judgment. Whatever. Anything.

Instead, nothing. She of course endorsed him. But the endorsement was entirely programmatic: We're all Democrats. He's a Democrat. He believes what you believe. So we must elect him -- I am currently unavailable -- to get Democratic things done. God bless America.

Clinton's withholding the "I've come to know this man" was vindictive and supremely self-serving -- but jarring, too, because you realize that if she didn't do it, no one else would. Not because of any inherent deficiency in Obama's character. But simply as a reflection of a young life with a biography remarkably thin by the standard of presidential candidates.

Who was there to speak about the real Barack Obama? His wife. She could tell you about Barack the father, the husband, the family man in a winning and perfectly sincere way. But that takes you only so far. It doesn't take you to the public man, the national leader.

Who is to testify to that? Hillary's husband on night three did aver that Obama is "ready to lead." However, he offered not a shred of evidence, let alone personal experience with Obama. And although he pulled it off charmingly, everyone knew that, having been suggesting precisely the opposite for months, he meant not a word of it.

Obama's vice presidential selection, Joe Biden, naturally advertised his patron's virtues, such as the fact that he had "reached across party lines to . . . keep nuclear weapons out of the hands of terrorists." But securing loose nukes is as bipartisan as motherhood and as uncontroversial as apple pie. The measure was so minimal that it passed by voice vote and received near zero media coverage. .........................

I don't care what Charles Krauthhamer has to say. He's a neo-con, a member of the PNAC, and I don't like him.

I don't care what Charles Krauthhamer has to say. He's a neo-con, a member of the PNAC, and I don't like him.

I took the liberty to quote him merely to lopsidedly balance the constant liberal far left postings rampant here. Of course you're not required to read Krauthammer. In a nutshell, he states Obama has not really done anything to hang his hat upon.

Charles Krauthammer

Strong words from a supporter of a man whose entire campaign has been based on his heroism in being a POW and his reputation as a "maverick". You were saying, Charles?

In what lunatic land was he living? Virtually all the reports I've read suggest that Obama really helped put down old fears, along with the Clintons' help - hence the 8-10 point bounce.

It's easy to praise John Kerry after your buddies distorted and lied about his record to get a rich-b****-draft-dodger in office, eh, Charles?

Aside from his family, you mean. And Dick Durbin, the senior senator. And colleagues from his state legislature days.

She pointed out that he's much better than the alternative - something which I suspect McCain will do at his convention.

Obama's never made pretensions that his main qualifications lie in experience.

Is he going to do this with every colleague who got up and supports Barack Obama? Not that it would surprise me coming from Charles Krauthammer.

The air of unease at the Democratic convention this week was not just a result of the Clinton psychodrama. The deeper anxiety was that the party was nominating a man of many gifts but precious few accomplishments -- bearing even fewer witnesses.

In what lunatic land was he living? Virtually all the reports I've read suggest that Obama really helped put down old fears, along with the Clintons' help - hence the 8-10 point bounce.

Pshh! "All the reports you've read." Heh! "8-10 point bounce." Hah! McCain's people prepared for a 15 point post-convention bounce. You're rather humorous.

It's easy to praise John Kerry after your buddies distorted and lied about his record to get a rich-b****-draft-dodger in office, eh, Charles?

Are you talking about 2004's campaign versus John "I served in VietNam" Kerry? And what were those lies? That Kerry exaggerated his VietNam exploits? His bandaid Purple Heart, in which he wounded himself? Please document the lies you claim, Guardsman Bass.

Obama's never made pretensions that his main qualifications lie in experience.

The experience (or lack thereof) the freshman senator from Illinois has had in (less than) his first term?

Is he going to do this with every colleague who got up and supports Barack Obama? Not that it would surprise me coming from Charles Krauthammer.

Krauthammer's blog was mentioning just how few were able to mention Obama's actual accomplishments. You're quick to criticize Krauthammer, yet he's the messenger, pointing out your emperor is wearing few clothes.

Edited by Incorrigible1

Jesus Christ. Fix those bloody quote tags, then I'll respond to you.

LOL.

lollin @ fox news

I doubt the protest will reach the levels of the 1960s. We had a whole counter culture among the youth then. Today the youth is strictly part of the consumer culture which means they are products of corporations...the same as the presidents.

Well it just did. Delegates at the Republican National Convention been attacked, harrassed, their bus been thrown bricks and bottled at, their eyes sprayed with some substance, one delegate was hurt, car windows smashed, tires slashed.