Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When a stranger's at your door late at night

NosmoKing

There are lots of urban legends where there are creepy happenings at someone's house late at night. Has anyone ever had someone/something weird come to your door or ring you late at night or peer through your windows that really freaked you out?

For me, three things happened once:

1) One time someone knocked at my door around 10pm. When I opened the door, there was an older man in swimming trunks standing there. He looked disheveled and asked me to help him because "he couldn't remember who he was." It kind of freaked me out so I told him he could ask next door for help (my neighbours were a couple a guys), or he could go down the road to the police station for help. A few days later I saw a missing poster at the local supermarket for a guy who had alzheimer's and the picture looked like the guy who had knocked on my door. I felt really bad for not helping him out more, but I was a female living alone at the time and couldn't afford to risk asking a strange man inside. Still, I wish I had helped him.

2) Another time I was living with my parents in a two story house. I was alone that night and around 11pm there was a knock at the door. Since it was so late, I went out onto the upstairs balcony that over looked the front door to see if it was someone I knew. It was two strange teenage males. I asked what they wanted. They said they were Jehovah's Witnesses who wanted to talk with me, could I open the front door. I thought Jehovah's Witnesses at 11pm, WTF?, so I said no thanks and went inside. But they didn't go away. Through the windows I could see them walking around the house and looking through windows. Creepy. Luckily my parents came home about 10 minutes later and the two guys took off. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if my parents hadn't come home.

3) Another time when I lived alone in a small town, in a older house that had been converted into small appartments that was next to a park, I was awoken for several nights by a guy who would scream and yell. The screaming would go on for at least 20 minutes, sometimes stuff about hating a certain person, sometimes unintelligable yelling. I don't think this guy was in my yard, but he was still pretty close. This went on for about two weeks. I always kept my windows locked after that, and it was lucky my lease was up and I moved out soon after that.

What weird expereinces have happened to you guys? Either supernatural or just normal (but weird) people?

• Like 5

Wow, those are some creepy experiences. Eh, I don't think i've ever had any creepy ones like those, and I hope I don't get any :mellow: I would be freeked out the most if some individual was staring through my window late at night, and even in the day time.

• Like 1

• Well, lets see in my old neighborhood there was a couple who seemed to have fights (the yelling screaming kind) a house or so from us but it was loud enough so that the whole neighborhood could practically hear what was being said.
  • When we had just moved into this neighborhood (Take in mind that this was a move back to my old neighborhood that I had lived in all my life well untill I turned 19, nothing like this had even happened before the neighborhood used to be pretty quiet), the people had a few screaming fights and such next door to us. It seemed to escalate little by little each day until somebody grabbed a gun and shot it. Well, that scared me to death because of the stories I have heard with stray bullets and such, with both the kid's rooms were on that side of the house too.
Edited by Blue Box

i've had things like that happen to me, but they were all practical jokes...

I hope the OP called the cops in each of the three incidences.

I once had some really irate woman pounding at my door around midnight screaming something about "My baby daddy," "No good crack-sucker," and "He got your eyes, N*****" over and over again.

^ lol!

I used to live downtown in a pretty big city. . .and I lived right on the "strip" with all the bars and clubs and such. It was VERY rare for a night to go by that I didn't have some random drunk people banging on my door. One night was pretty dramatic, though. It was me and my boyfriend in there, and it was like 3 or 4 in the morning and there was just this deafening banging on the door. . .like it seriously sounded like someone was trying to beat down the door.

Anyways, my b/f opened the door and it was these two marines. It was sort of funny the way they talked to my boyfriend because it was like they were interrogating him. . .They had a goofy little flashlight they kept flashing in his face. . .But anyways, apparently they had parked their car in the alley next to our apartment and someone had slit the tires. . .or so they said. . .but really, with it being an alley, there was all kinds of broken glass in there. They shouldn't have parked there to begin with. . .plus it was against the law.

But anyways, they started getting more and more irrate and started threatening us (like, just because we had an apartment near where they parked their car, it must have been us?! Weirdo's) , and we finally had to tell them we were going to call the cops if they didn't leave. They weren't too happy about that. . .we were half expecting them to come back and REALLY beat down our door, but they never did.

Edited by Sweetsalem82103

I hope the OP called the cops in each of the three incidences.

I once had some really irate woman pounding at my door around midnight screaming something about "My baby daddy," "No good crack-sucker," and "He got your eyes, N*****" over and over again.

Nah, I didn't call the cops. My town had a lot of drunks and drug addicts, and around the time the bars/pubs closed every night, they would walk home acting a little crazy. In my 3rd example in the opening post, my landlord who lived in one of the appartments (that was converted from an older house) had three large dogs, who would bark like crazy if anyone came into the yard. My landlord never locked her doors, and her backdoor (upstairs appartment) didn't even have a proper door, just a screen door. A very relaxed woman, it seemed.

Another thing that happened once in that same appartment was--I didn't have a phone and would walk a few houses down to use the public phone. I was very comfortable in this area and so would use the phone at night. One night I walked down to the phone and there was what looked like blood in the phone box. As I walked home there was a large dog in the shadows with wet looking fur--I wasn't curious enough to get closer to see if it was blood on its fur or not.

I live in a quiet area so never had drunks come and bug me. Did have a friend who used to live in an old drug house and have junkies come by looking for a hit.

I've had a couple of strange things happen like this and they are not the norm for my area because it's a very quiet area. The state has a very low crime rate. When I was 18 I got my first apartment. It was in a small town but because it was my first apartment it wasn't the greatest and the location wasn't either. I was still pretty excited about it because it was mine. So I'm hanging out one night alone. It was about 10 and I had to work the next day. I was laying across my bed watching tv with nothing on but a tee shirt and underwear and I stood up to go to the kitchen and as I turned toward the kitchen I could see the silouette of a man just standing in the kitchen window looking in. I totally freaked out. I was screaming and trying to run to the front door and I couldn't even stand up. When I got to the front door and opened it my neighbor was walking past. It was him. This young guy that lived in the apartment next to me with his, I think it was, his wife and newborn baby. I called the landlady and she supposedly talked to him and he denied it of course.

Then I moved to my second apartment a few months later. It was in, well it's our biggest city but most states it's probably the size of a large town. I was right on main street and one night very late I was up watching tv and I heard something, a noise on the front porch. I went to the door and there was this young guy laying on the floor. He looked up and said he needed help. I asked what was wrong and he kept saying he needed help and started to get up real slow like he was having a hard time. All of a sudden he grabbed at the handle of the sreen door and tried to open it. Thank God it was locked. I slammed the other door shut and locked it and he ran away.

• Like 1

Conspiracybeliever, I hate it when perverts aren't taken seriously. Just because they didn't *do* something overt that time, doesn't mean they can't escalate. Your landlady should have done more. Peering through a window is bad enough.

Also, your second story sounds scary, mostly scary cause the guy acted so odd.

Mugger maybe?

Mugger maybe?

just what i was thinking

When I was a little kid, an older neighborhood girl that I kinda, used to be friends with had met this guy at a lake near where we lived. One night he came to my friends' house looking for her, banging on the door real hard and screaming. My friends' parents told him they would call the police if he didn't leave. It was so terrifying and weird.

That girl later was institutionalized... I don't really know what for though.

Conspiracybeliever, I hate it when perverts aren't taken seriously. Just because they didn't *do* something overt that time, doesn't mean they can't escalate. Your landlady should have done more. Peering through a window is bad enough.

Both times were terrifying. Actually that wasn't the end of the first story. The one with the peeping next door neighbor. They were really strange. My brother in law and a friend of his, a real big guy, sent a couple little warnings his way. He moved out one night, in the middle of the night, with his wife and baby. Just disappeared. I think the middle of the night thing was more to avoid paying some back rent.

Conspiracybeliever, I'm glad that jerk moved out. I had neighbours in an appartment moved out one night for not paying rent. They couldn't take everything with them, so the next day the landlord told us tenants we could take whatever we wanted. I scored a coffee table.

I'm glad your situation turned out okay, cause I've read some true crime books like that.

They took everything with them. I don't think they had much. Nothing anyone would want anyways.

I've had a few bizarre experiences. But, the last one I had a boy about 16 completely naked standing in my front yard around 8:00pm, just getting dark. He was standing under my street light. Poor boy was mentally challenged (profound, he couldn't speak.) He had ran away from his folks house and wind up in my front yard which is actually miles away from his home. He'd been missing all day- I find out later.

When I first saw him, I thought he was on drugs.. and it took me back a second. But, then I got the strangest feeling something was wrong with him. bless his heart.

I immediately found out what the situation was, I took him some clothes and dressed him. He was shaking & scared to death.. poor thing. L.E came with his folks to pick him up...

They said he'd do this a lot.

Just glad he wind up here, and not some person who'd hurt him.

Edited by Shankpin
  • Like 1

These sound all a bit freaky! Am glad nothing happened to you guys.

I have had a couple weird experiences too. The 1st one happened after we moved to a big city in TX. I was 15 & we didn't get along to good with our neighbors because they thought I was too ****ty for their daughter who I used to hang out with. Then one night while I was asleep in my room it was on a school night & close to mid night i can't remember the time but it was late. And I woke up because I heard a noise that sounded like a pop. And someone was trying to break into my room. I ran to my mom's room & she went & called the cops & the guy was gone. But their was a big shoe print in front of the window. It turned out to be my next door neighbor's oldest son who was in his early 20's. They were out of town but he was taking care of the house at the time. And slipped & said something , that's how we found out it was him that did it.

Another time I was living at these apartment complex & I heard a knock at the door around 1 o'clock in the morning so I opened it & there was this weird girl from the apartment wanting a cigarette. I told her I don't smoke & shut the door.

A stranger banging our door at midnight. It turned out a drunk guy who entered the wrong building and thought that he lives in this building. So I told him that he lives at the next building.

Ok so I was in Richmond near S.F. at my cousins aunts and uncles house and my cousin her friend and I were watching The Grudge and the doorbell rang. well it was like 1am so none of us wanted to get it so I looked out the window to see who it was :unsure2: .....the house had an upstairs living room and the window overlooked the front door....anyways, I looked out the window and no one was there plus the sensor light didnt come on....We were like ooookaaaay.....went back to watching the movie and not even 5 minutes later the bell rang again...we all ran to the window and the light was on but no one was there....so we went back to watch the movie...yup...rang again...no light this time so we stayed in the window to see who was doing it and the bell rang and there wasent anyone at the door....I didnt sleep that whole night....too freaked out and I will NEVER watch that stupid movie again. :no:

Ok so I was in Richmond near S.F. at my cousins aunts and uncles house and my cousin her friend and I were watching The Grudge and the doorbell rang. well it was like 1am so none of us wanted to get it so I looked out the window to see who it was :unsure2: .....the house had an upstairs living room and the window overlooked the front door....anyways, I looked out the window and no one was there plus the sensor light didnt come on....We were like ooookaaaay.....went back to watching the movie and not even 5 minutes later the bell rang again...we all ran to the window and the light was on but no one was there....so we went back to watch the movie...yup...rang again...no light this time so we stayed in the window to see who was doing it and the bell rang and there wasent anyone at the door....I didnt sleep that whole night....too freaked out and I will NEVER watch that stupid movie again. :no:

scary