Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When a stranger's at your door late at night

NosmoKing

Another time, I chased a guy out of my garage with a sword. It wasn't particularly scary to me at the time, but it was a strange occurrence in the middle of the night.

I had foolishly forgotten to close our garage door and around 3 AM, I heard sounds coming from it. I remembered the door being open, and guessed that someone decided to see if there was anything worth stealing. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure it was a neighbor from down the street - he'd stolen our garden hose and some potted plants from us previously, and a few things from our neighbors, too.

Anyway, it p***ed me off that someone was going through our stuff, so I grabbed a decorative fantasy sword and barged out into the garage, snapped the lights on and yelled like a banshee. It was a big heavy set guy (I swear it was our neighbor, same body type, though I didn't get a good look at his face), who was already running off at the sound of the door opening.

I chased him all the way down our driveway, and up the road to the community mailbox, swinging an unsharpened sword, trying my best to cave his head in, before I finally came to my senses and gave up.

(And now my neighbors call me Xena, because my yelling woke up my next door neighbor who caught the tail end of me trudging back to my house carrying a sword. Embarrassing just isn't a strong enough word.)

Hah good for you! I hope he's freaking scared of you now haha.. Your other account is really creepy, I'm glad you scared him off. Scary stuff!

OK, here's my tale of freaked-out-in-the-middle-of-the-night:

Home alone with my then two year-old son. About 3 a.m. I got up to get a drink of water and standing in the kitchen with all the lights off, I looked at my front door about fifteen feet away and saw the outline of a person on my porch. I then realized that they had their hand inside my door and were trying to work the chain off. Apparently the door had been left unlocked but chained or they had already slipped the door lock and fortunately the chain was still in place. Without thinking, I crept quietly over the front door, still in the dark, still holding the water bottle and with my foot, I slammed the door against the intruder's hand as hard as I could. I'm sure his hand must have been broken, because he screamed and let some obsenities fly before pulling the door closed and running away. I immediately dropped the water bottle, and ran to my bedroom to call the police who came and investigated and basically said to keep my doors locked and there really wasn't anything they could do, that I had probably done more damage to the intruder than the courts would do, and next time, let him get all the way in the house, and I would be justified in shooting him!! I just still shudder to think what would have happened to my son and I if I had not awakened thirsty and gotten up for that drink of water...

The only other time I had someone come to the door in the middle of the night was when my husband and I lived FAR in the country. Apparently two teenagers were out joy riding and had run off our unpaved road into a ditch and they were looking to use a phone to call a tow truck. My husband went with his pick-up truck and pulled them out of the ditch 'cause he said they looked scared to death when he opened the door (he's an ex-Navy boxer and poses a rather intimidating presence!) :lol:

Uhm. There was a random drunk dude that showed up at my front door at like 2 AM... but aside that, nothing interesting.

Uhm. There was a random drunk dude that showed up at my front door at like 2 AM... but aside that, nothing interesting.

Thank you for sharing.

Hi there everyone. Some of these experiences are pretty similar to mine, but i hope you don't mind me telling anyway :)

I live in England, on the edge of town (http://www.bridgwater.net/ if your intrested) and when you come through my front door the stairs are right in front of you, and there is a street light right outside my house. And one night about 1am i'm laying in bed watching television and nature called i get up and walked across the hall past the stairs and i notice someone at the door, what makes it more freaky for me is that because of the light outside all i could see was an outline of black, there was no knocking or anything, and i watched for about five minutes and the shadow seemed to just walk away. This freaked me out big time.

Oh and i never opened or asked who was there, i was only 18 at the time and my parents were on holiday and i had to stay behind for college work.

Edit: I didn't HAVE to stay behind, i wanted to.

That's pretty creepy... I got paranoid reading this haha

• 3 months later...

I have two stories here that definately deserve to be on this thread.

1. I was in a cabin type structure on a lake (One full floor, small kitchenette, good sized bathroom and a small non enclosed bedroom on the "second floor") with about two or three other cabins with the same floor plan near us. We have weekly things where we all do something. Very nice and close place where everyone knows each other.

So I was sitting on the couch watching Tv on the couch and I hear the sliding door being nudged. I get up and look out the shades thinking it was the landlord putting the bill in the crack in the door. No it was a black male trying to open the door. I didn't say anything but I hit the alarm button on the panel and got my gun. (It wasn't loaded and that was the only way I could keep it on the property was by having it unloaded and the landlord could come in and check it as per the lease)

The guy runs off and I go to put the gun down when a rock smashes through the sliding door. I scream "I HAVE A ****ING GUN AND I WILL SHOOT." The guy opens the door as I am saying this and by the time he hears it he is inside the door. So I stood there with my gun and the guy stands there. I'm shaking and the adrenaline is pumping at this time and he sees my 10 Gauge Shotgun pointed at him. He tell him to get out of here as I have a gun and if he takes a step toward me I will shoot him because he is trespassing.

A few moments after this his friend I think (Another guy who yelled the guys name as the guy ran really fast out of there) said the cops were coming as a siren could be heard. A few minutes later two squad cars came and looked at the area. I told them the situation and they said they knew the suspects well and took the rock the guy had thrown through the door. A week later the cop came back and told me the kid was going to be arraigned (He was 17) and they wanted me as a witness. I managed to not have to go and really was glad for that as they took my testimony and the kid plead out to a less charge and got until he was 21 as that was the most he could anyway.

I know the gun was stupid but I wasn't thinking. I was like 18 at the time I think.

2. Went camping at a cabin in the middle of the woods during hunting season with two friends. We went up there to hunt and after a few days we all had killed our limit. So we all on the last night were sitting around a fire when we heard stuff off in the distance. One of the guys went off to find out the source of the sound. He was gone for about an hour with us all wondering with us hearing two gunshots "What was going on?" He comes back white as a ghost and tells us to pack up and get out.

So we get into the two cars we brought and I wasn't in the car he drove. So we get back to town and he tells us that there was this guy who was watching us. He had snuck up behind him and had approached him. The guy acted fine and told him to leave him be. My friend informed him that he was trespassing and the guy informed him he didn't care and went on a semi rant about something my friend didn't quite understand.

My friend then left and this was like twenty minutes after the commotion of finding the guy. He then spent the next thirty minutes being followed by this guy. He fired two shots into the air (The friend) and the guy took off. He then came back and told us to leave.

Both of those were weird and I think the first one I may have died if I didn't threaten him with the gun.

• Like 1

There are lots of urban legends where there are creepy happenings at someone's house late at night. Has anyone ever had someone/something weird come to your door or ring you late at night or peer through your windows that really freaked you out?

For me, three things happened once:

1) One time someone knocked at my door around 10pm. When I opened the door, there was an older man in swimming trunks standing there. He looked disheveled and asked me to help him because "he couldn't remember who he was." It kind of freaked me out so I told him he could ask next door for help (my neighbours were a couple a guys), or he could go down the road to the police station for help. A few days later I saw a missing poster at the local supermarket for a guy who had alzheimer's and the picture looked like the guy who had knocked on my door. I felt really bad for not helping him out more, but I was a female living alone at the time and couldn't afford to risk asking a strange man inside. Still, I wish I had helped him.

2) Another time I was living with my parents in a two story house. I was alone that night and around 11pm there was a knock at the door. Since it was so late, I went out onto the upstairs balcony that over looked the front door to see if it was someone I knew. It was two strange teenage males. I asked what they wanted. They said they were Jehovah's Witnesses who wanted to talk with me, could I open the front door. I thought Jehovah's Witnesses at 11pm, WTF?, so I said no thanks and went inside. But they didn't go away. Through the windows I could see them walking around the house and looking through windows. Creepy. Luckily my parents came home about 10 minutes later and the two guys took off. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if my parents hadn't come home.

3) Another time when I lived alone in a small town, in a older house that had been converted into small appartments that was next to a park, I was awoken for several nights by a guy who would scream and yell. The screaming would go on for at least 20 minutes, sometimes stuff about hating a certain person, sometimes unintelligable yelling. I don't think this guy was in my yard, but he was still pretty close. This went on for about two weeks. I always kept my windows locked after that, and it was lucky my lease was up and I moved out soon after that.

What weird expereinces have happened to you guys? Either supernatural or just normal (but weird) people?

id say u just attrack weirdos

The Jehovah's Witnesses were just sick if you know wat i mean or did ur gaff get robbed a sort time after that

there was this one drunk guy that walked up to door because he was drunk i didn't open and about 2 seconds later he started shooting at the door until he ran out of ammo so i went and got my shotgun and screamed"Drop the ****ing gun and get away from house my you son of a"and he ran but fell and i called the cops they came pretty fast and arrested him

i get rid of jehovah's witnesses by blasting "Faith in the Devil" by wednesday 13 and walking onto the porch with a pentagram painted on my fat chest in fake blood. They try though. Never succeed.

Also, i scared some jock on halloween with the old petophile routine. I told him not to tell his parents what i would do to him. I let him up like i was going to take him home, he s**t himself and ran home. He lives about 3 miles away. I would know, i stole his garden gnomes. Hee hee.

I hope the OP called the cops in each of the three incidences.

I once had some really irate woman pounding at my door around midnight screaming something about "My baby daddy," "No good crack-sucker," and "He got your eyes, N*****" over and over again.

:o Uh-oh somebody had some mistaken Identinty baby-mamma drama :lol:

I've never really had any of these instances occur but you best believe my 9mm will be coming to answer the door with me, just in case B)

Edited by Kim81

When I was about 4 I remember police knocking on the door and telling my mom there was a serial killer in the area

Edited by fatass666

My mom and dad used to tell me that when me and my brother were about 5 years old, (we shared a room), we would ALWAYS complain and cry about a strange man walking around in our bedroom. I don't know why, but this kinda creeps me out.

:mellow: lol

I did. And I also posted about the Saline Valley Stalker. I'm way too lazy to type all that again, though lol. bri/x/ were shat.

HAHA I KNEW IT!! it was like the only night i've been completely by myself in weeks and after reading that thread I was SO SCARED. The one story about the guy that lived alone in the middle of nowhere with only his 3 dogs scared me the most.

What was the Saline Valley Stalker about? I don't remember reading that one!

I live in a really quiet street in a pretty nice area and occasionally suffer from sleepless nights and last August I was in the living room using my laptop at about 2.00am when there was the hardest two thumps on the front door I have ever heard. Our living room is on the front of the house and they hit the door so hard that it seemed like the window (which I was right next to) shook and I can tell you, I was petrified. I had the lights off so I closed my laptop and just sat there terrified. I wanted to go up and get my husband (who would sleep through an earthquake) but to do this I had to pass the door and though there's no window in it, the thought of going past it just froze me. I waited for about two minutes and then bolted upstairs and woke Rick but we decided not to open the door!

We weren't the only house to get the bang on our door that night and our a good number of the residents of our street are quite elderly and live alone and it must have been terrifying for them in particular. One guy who works shifts was also up and he did open the door and said there were a couple of people running down the street so I assume it was intended as a prank but it really wasn't very funny!

I would never have opened the door at that time and with a bang like that, I would have thought twice about opening it in broad daylight.

I live on a campus and am in a 5 storey building on the 4th storey. So I've recently sustain a bad knee injury meaning I'm kinda bed bound. I can get around, but it's just awkward. So 2 nights ago this incident happen (not the knee, the stranger at door one ^_^)

I was in my room when I heard this banging at the door that leads into our flat. My flatmate across from me was the only other person in. Everyone else was home or out for the night. So there's banging and laughing, so I knew whoever it was they were drunk. Suddenly I hear the door open and the sound of 2 or more guys laughing and staggering about, bouncing of the hallway doors. They are definately not any of my roomates. They come closer to my door and they're ratting on other peoples along the wat. Next thing I see my door handle move and I realise my door isn't locked. Next time the door is opened fully and there are these two idiots standing and laughing in my doorway. There's about a second between that happening and me diving for the door, slamming it shut and locking it.

Obviously they found this hilarious and ended up stumbling back out of our flat. I'm pretty shaken and I hear my roomie open her door so I open mine and we're both saying "wtf?".

Someone had left the latch on the main door open, so my roomie goes and locks it. I go back into mine,locking door again and after 10 minutes start breathing properly. Thank goodness I wasn't asleep when they came in.

It's not exactly spooky, definately doesn't compare to all previous stories, but it did unnerve me greatly and I was already in shock from the hospital visit earlier.

The creepiest part of this story to me is how much is left to the imagination. I could picture being a kid and hearing adults talk about a murderer running around. The imagination must run wild.

Well One night it was around 230-3am and I was watching tv. Im laying down in the living room because it was a weekend so I decided to stay up late. I heard knocking on my window. I looked at it and there was a guy staring at the window like bent over trying to see through. I ran downstairs grabbed a poolstick and ran back up. No one was there. I never slept downstairs in front of the window again. Oh and there is plenty of times that I am downstairs in the basement and I see people looking in through the door since it is like glass in the center at like past midnight. Thats about the scariest.

This past summer, 3AM I wake up to a couple of guys sneaking into my backyard. They were then met by my three p***ed off dogs and one loaded 12ga shotgun. I swear one of them p***ed his pants. Nothing scarier than the chambering of a shell in a pump action shotgun.

i think everyone gets these... i think they belong to some sort of cult called 'johovas witnesses' or something spelled like that :P

The thingy I would do is to keep the door shut untill I find out who the person is

Thanks

B???

Old lady knocking at my door at 12:00 /w a giant gas tank asking to spray my house for bugs.

• Like 1

... I wouldn't answer? How much common sense does that require? :huh:

Only time there has ever been strangers at my door at night... They've been trying to steal cigarettes from me... And alcohol :rolleyes: