Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lycans

deadtotheworld

I love this thread.

Lycans do not and have not ever existed, its the fictional name given to werewolves derived and shortened from greek and other terminology.

Part 4 of the underworld series is due out soon, so no doubt a resurection of people believing their lycans.

If thats the case then Im an autobot.

FOOL I've discovered your disguise!

DECEPTICONS TRANSFORM AND RISE UP!!

Well, I was always a little wolfish, I guess that I didn't make the connection until I was about 14. I did a lot of researching into both old myth and Clinical Lycanthropy, and found that alot of the things spoken about partained to me, with the exception of the transformation. Of course, this could be because I'm still young, I honestly dont know, Im no expert on the subjuct. Of course, with clinical Lycanthropy, there were a few symptoms that I was able to say, "Thats not me."

My human friends all say that Im a little dogish too, which I find funny, since they dont know the truth.

I know this is an old post but i can really relate to this, especially with the last part :P my nick name is ookami which means wolf in japanese, i'm yet to find someone who doesnt mention that it suits me

By definition; Yes.

Ohh be nice, we're not irrational or deluded.

We're differently rational that's all.

Ohh be nice, we're not irrational or deluded.

We're differently rational that's all.

Well, when you put it that way....

DECEPTICONS TRANSFORM AND RISE UP!!

I'll rip out your optics!

On a more serious note, these people need to stop. Every time there is a new underworld or twilight movie there is always a surge in vampire and werewolf threads.

Please, appeal to my sanity! Let me state this very clearly for everybody to read;

You are neither a vampire nor a werewolf. You feel 'different' because you are a teenager. It's part of growing up. It does not mean that you are a mythological creature.

Sincerely,

Everybody else in the world.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

<!--quoteo(post=2470924:date=Aug 30 2008, 11:16 PM:name=Darcy Blake)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Darcy Blake @ Aug 30 2008, 11:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2470924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The term "Lycan" doesn't come from the film Underworld. The term had been used centuries before the release of the film.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you show me where, because the only use of the word I can find is in reference to the film and a Jedi from the Star Wars expanded universe?

Deadtotheworld: I am aware of the origins of "Lycan" from Lycanthropy thanks.

The old 1941 movie "the wolfman"has a scene in it that shows a page of a book explaining lycanthropy.thats the earliest reference i have seen in a movie. :cat:

How much faster and how much higher?

Slightly faster and slightly higher.

I love this thread.

Lycans do not and have not ever existed, its the fictional name given to werewolves derived and shortened from greek and other terminology.

Part 4 of the underworld series is due out soon, so no doubt a resurection of people believing their lycans.

If thats the case then Im an autobot.

DIE AUTOBOT!

Megatron01.JPG

DIE AUTOBOT!

Megatron01.JPG

1192583564_origg1prime.jpg

One shall stand... and one shall fall!!!

Edit: Werewolves (can't bring myself to call them Lycans, it makes me feel ashamed about myself for being so dumb) aren't real. Deal with it.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

<!--quoteo(post=2470924:date=Aug 30 2008, 11:16 PM:name=Darcy Blake)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Darcy Blake @ Aug 30 2008, 11:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2470924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The term "Lycan" doesn't come from the film Underworld. The term had been used centuries before the release of the film.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you show me where, because the only use of the word I can find is in reference to the film and a Jedi from the Star Wars expanded universe?

Deadtotheworld: I am aware of the origins of "Lycan" from Lycanthropy thanks.

Thought you guys might enjoy this from an arrow3.gifView: Etomological Dictionary that is from the 1730's (kinda cool):

All the misspelling are intentional.

A LYCHNO'BITE [Greek-a candle and lite] [1.] a night-walker ; [2.] one, who, instead of the day, uses the night, and lives as it were by candle-light ; [3.] one that turns day into night, and night into day.

LYCI'SCA [Greek] [1.] a dog engendered of a wolf and a b**** ; [2.] a wolf-dog, a shepherd'd-dog.

LYCO'CTONON [Greek] Wolf's-bane.

LYCOPO'DIUM [Wolf's-foot] the herb Wolf's-claw.

LYCO'PSIS [Greek] the herb Garden Buglofs or Wolf's-tongue.

Lycon was also a philosopher and is mentioned in that book under the term philosophy.

• 1 month later...

Ok sooo, My friend she says shes a lycan and stuff and she says she does transform and so does her brother. Is it possible? And she says that she can turn me. I kinda want her to but is all this possible?

Ok sooo, My friend she says shes a lycan and stuff and she says she does transform and so does her brother. Is it possible? And she says that she can turn me. I kinda want her to but is all this possible?

No it's not. A physical transformation into another animal or animal/man hybrid is impossible. The depiction of werewolves is a bastardization of early pre-Christian ceremonial magic, demonized to reflect the original practitioners in a negative light. Spiritual shape-shifting was just one of many pagan and tribal practices presented as diabolical in the early days of Christianity when conversion was in full swing.

No it's not. A physical transformation into another animal or animal/man hybrid is impossible. The depiction of werewolves is a bastardization of early pre-Christian ceremonial magic, demonized to reflect the original practitioners in a negative light. Spiritual shape-shifting was just one of many pagan and tribal practices presented as diabolical in the early days of Christianity when conversion was in full swing.

Are you sure? Cause her brother took pictures of her when she was "transformed". She is sure that she is a lycan. She doesn't sound like shes kidding AT ALL.

Well lycan is a term in the Underworld series for werewolves, or the next step in werewolf evolution. It is a shortening of lycanthrope; "wolf-man"which is the psychological disorder in which the patient beleives that they are a canine. When a person says lycan, they are simply saying wolf, as in the animal not the monsters on TV, you need to add the anthrope to make it a wolfman and even then your talking about a mental disorder.

That said, I am interested in your pictures, though I doubt we will ever see them.

Are you sure? Cause her brother took pictures of her when she was "transformed". She is sure that she is a lycan. She doesn't sound like shes kidding AT ALL.

Her brother took a picture of a wolf or dog and maybe convinced her it was her when she was transformed. The true test is have her transform in front of you while you film it. I'm 100% positive she either won't do it or can't do it and will come up with some type of excuse.

I believe that everything is possible no matter how strange and I believe that in the case of clinical lycanthropy is it can have subtle effect on the senses, just a thoery btw

I myself feel a bit agitated by the full moon on certain occasions, but it's nothing to post about really, I wouln't exactly refer to yourself as a "race" because you are human as is everyone(I hope at least lol).

But in this sense maybe you are quite interested in this type of mythic creature and your mind has slightly attuned itself so it results in this sort of.....syndrome....if that's the right word but I just can't bring myself to believe that an actual werewolf exists, not in the physical sense but here I think subtle clinical lycanthropy may as well be present.

• 2 months later...

can anyone name 1 famous lycan in real life?

Even though it is surely only stories, being in a Lycan thread I just wondered who heard about stories about Lyc.V (virus causing lycanthopy). Just curious :)

i have not i was born with lycanthropy.

i have not i was born with lycanthropy.

Just to clarify, you aare teling us you have a medical condition and not that you turn into a wolf?

Even though it is surely only stories, being in a Lycan thread I just wondered who heard about stories about Lyc.V (virus causing lycanthopy). Just curious :)

This is a made up virus in Llona Andrews books. She is a fantasy writer.

A description of one of her latest efforts, you ask?

Gunmetal Magic: A new novel in the world of Kate Daniels, featuring Andrea, a sniper werehyena, her deranged honey-bunny, Russian druids in Eeyore pajamas, gods, terrible danger, and giant snakes. Also includes Magic Gifts, a novella featuring Kate Daniels and Curran.

I **** you not.

Edited by Pauly Dangerously

Made my Mrs Andrews? Her oldest books date from 2007.Then why did i heard about those stories since I was a kid? I'm not saying that this virus exist, i'm just curious to know where the story originaly came from.

Edited by Bildr

Can't tell you why you heard something when you were a kid that didn't happen till 2007. Perhaps misremembering things?