Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

American Atlantis

darkbreed

Ok here is a rather old article I wrote. I am lazy so I did not update the following article but simply put some extra photos as an addition in a post below.

Map of Gulf of Mexico

linked-image

From my own research on this subject I have come to believe the location of Atlantis was actually the Latin-Americas. There are so many things that points in this direction. And Atlantis was not just a city by the way, it was a whole continent, and Plato states so himself. Atlantis, the city, was the capital of Atlantis, the continent.

I believe large parts of Latin-Americas got submerged under water due to some cataclysmic event in the past. The evidence for this is there:

Look at a map of Latin Americas for starter, if you look at Mexico notice the Gulf of Mexico, and further down the Caribbean ocean. Here it seems very likely to me that there once was dry land that now is gone, filling up the gap that is now between Mexico and rest of South America. And the evidence for this has been found by underwater monuments, artifacts and ruins in the mentioned area.

And if you follow Plato's own description of where Atlantis is located, he says its a place far away in the atlantic ocean, opposite the strait of gibraltar. The Strait of Gibraltar is the strait that divides Spain from Morocco. If you travel through it and thus to the opposite side and continue until you reach another continent you end up in South America.

And while we are at this route, there is also evidence of contact between south america and africa in ancient times. Among things worth mentioning, there has been found traces of cocaine and tobacco in egyptian mummies, and both these are native to south america. Possibly "atlanteans" who escaped from the disaster and ended up in Africa and thus taught the egyptians some of their knowledge about stone technology and construction among other things as well as establishing some trading route with south america.

There are many similarities between egyptian pyramids and south american ones, specially when it comes to the masonry and stone technology. And this technology again fits the description of atlantis and their advanced knowledge. Even to this day modern science doesn't know how they built these magnificent structures or how they processed the stones etc.

Here is some aztec earplugs made of stone, less than one mm thick sides:

linked-image

And here is an egyptian vase, made out of solid granite in one piece, and hollowed out:

linked-image

Egyptian "tube" fashioned in a way very similar to the aztec earplugs above:

linked-image

To me it seems both the egyptians and the latin americans had similar knowledge on how to work with stone. Could this be because the egyptians had learned it from the migrating south americans (Atlanteans)?

In addition there were the unknown pre-incan people, who built Machu Picchu among other things. The incas themselves just built upon a pre-existing foundation and structures that were already there - the evidence is clear as the incas structures were not as advanced and of as excellent quality as that of their precedents. And these pre-incan monuments show they had a vast knowledge and very advanced building and construction skills. None have been able to replicate these skills in later generations - though they have tried to imitate. Here is an example of a pre-incan wall:

linked-image

And here is an example of excellent pre-incan wall with sloppy incan extended work on top:

linked-image

If you walk around in places like Machu Picchu and other south american ruins it will become clear that there were some highly advanced civilization that suddenly disappeared and left their buildings and structures unfinished, and then later incas and others came and started build on top of the ruins they found which was already ancient for them as well.

Nobody knows what happened to this pre-incan people, where they went, or why they suddenly disappeared. But it seems quite likely its related to some ancient disaster happening that made the people of those days flee their homes and cities.

If you want to know more about the ancient stone technology I highly recommend you to check this documentary called Technology of the Gods:

http://www.dark-truth.org/okt21-2006-10.html

If we again go back to Plato and his description of the continent of Atlantis, he said it was "bigger than Libya and Asia put together". So we are talking about a very large continent here, and what other continent could fit this description than South America, when we also take in consideration the other descriptions Plato gave us about this continent?

Places in Latin America also fits the description of Atlantis in more ways, f.ex a researcher named Jim Allen has discovered that Bolivia fits rather perfectly with how Atlantis (the capital city) is described to be a rectangular island high above the sea level - the mountains. Check Jim Allen's theories on this at his website:

http://www.geocities.com/webatlantis/

And the local natives have ancient legends telling about a great flood that raged the planet and swept cities away around 10,000 years ago - which could suit well with the destruction of Atlantis. There are also other similar ancient stories about floods and terrible earthquakes and erupting volcanoes around in South America, check this site for more info on this: http://www.labyrinthina.com/flood.htm

There is also the linguistic evidence, if you look at ancient latin american language and how they named many of their places, it fits together with the theory of Atlantis being in Latin Americas. Here are Toltec names of places around in Mexico:

Atlán, Autlán, Mazatlán, Cihuatlán, Cacatlán, Tecaltitlán, Tihuatlán, Atitlán, Zapotlán, Minititlán, Ocotlán, Miahuatlán, Tecaltitlán, Tepatitlán, Tihuatlán, Texiutlán, and the like.

Notice that the Nahuatl Tlán root of these place names is exactly like the Tlan in "Atlantis."

And the pre-conquest Meso-Americans claimed that their primordial founding city was Tollán, which is another variety of Tlan.

Hard evidence suggests that Sanskrit is the father of most world-class languages. If we use Sanskrit to explain the true meaning of "Atlantis," we'll learn that the initial A means "Not; No longer." The final Tis derives from the Sanskrit Desa, Des, or Tes, meaning "Nation." Atlantis = "No-Longer-the-'Tlan'-or-'Tollán'-Nation." When A-Tlan-Tis sank under the ocean named after it, it certainly ceased to exist.

For more in depth linguistic analysis and theories of Mexico being part of Atlantis check this website:

http://www.dark-truth.org/okt18-2006-12.html

Of course there is a lot more mysteries regarding South America that could possibly relate to an ancient advanced civilization of Atlantis. In addition to all the monuments, pyramids, temples and structures all the way from Mexico and down towards Brazil in South America, we also have strange places like the Nazca lines of Peru that I assume most people are familiar with, and the Ica stones found in an area close to them, which depicts advanced surgery, astronomy and use of telescopes, people together with dinosaurs and more, that cold be the remains of such an advanced and long passed but not forgotten civilization. I do not have the time to tell more about this and other things right now, perhaps some time later.

So, with what I have mentioned above in consideration, doesn't it seem possible that Latin Americas actually was the so called continent of Atlantis, and some of these people who once lived there managed to escape and migrated to Egypt, bringing with them some of their knowledge and thus also being responsible for the greatness of the Egyptian civilizations wonders? At least I think so myself.

And here is some new material that suggest a connection between ancient latin americas and africa (Peru and Egypt in this case):

linked-image

linked-image

NICHES IN PERU:

linked-image

NICHES IN EGYPT:

linked-image

KEYSTONE CUTS IN PERU:

linked-image

KEYSTONE CUTS IN EGYPT:

linked-image

So with the above mentioned, this strengthens my theory that latin americas were Atlantis, and some atlanteans got over to Egypt, which explains the above mentioned similarities, as well as why it was the egyptians who told Plato about Atlantis in the first place.

Credits for some of the photos above goes to my friend and fellow researcher and member of "American Atlantis Research", Fernando. Thanks for the extra material to add to my own mate.

Here is a google earth photo of a lagoon in Guatemala that seem to show underwater structures:

linked-image

Also notice, this is interestingly enough named "Amatitlan"... =9

-EA

So with the above mentioned, this strengthens my theory that latin americas were Atlantis, and some atlanteans got over to Egypt, which explains the above mentioned similarities, as well as why it was the egyptians who told Plato about Atlantis in the first place.

Credits for some of the photos above goes to my friend and fellow researcher and member of "American Atlantis Research", Fernando. Thanks for the extra material to add to my own mate.

Here is a google earth photo of a lagoon in Guatemala that seem to show underwater structures:

linked-image

Also notice, this is interestingly enough named "Amatitlan"... =9

-EA

darkbreed, have you any further infomation or links to these underwater structures ?

Dan Dare

I'm not sure superficial resemblances in stoneworking are enough to act as solid proof of much, nor am I certain that expertise in stoneworking per se is enough to deem a piece of work as belonging to another (unknown) culture.

Taking individual pieces or buildings out of context as you do here is the work of the pseudo-historian, not the historian.

--Jaylemurph

Taking individual pieces or buildings out of context as you do here is the work of the pseudo-historian, not the historian.

--Jaylemurph

Who said it was solid proof ?

Why is it out of context ?

Were did darkbread say he was a historian ?

Dan Dare

The problem is that there are only so many ways to fit stone together, to create keystone cuts, and to build structures out of masonry. Because of these limits, it is inevitable that any society that develops these technologies is going to develop similar, if not identical, methods.

In regards to Atlantis, I would need to know how Atlanteans could have conquered and held the known world by force if they were on the other side of it.

darkbreed, have you any further infomation or links to these underwater structures ?

Dan Dare

If you are referring to the above google earth photo I found it at http://fireside.designcommunity.com/topic-19642.html when looking for underwater structures in the area. It has some other interesting things there, and also some rather speculative things. In any case the guy who discovered the above which seems to be underwater structures said he would contact the Guatemalaen governments and let them know about it and see if it turns out to be something or not, if they decide to do anything about it.

Of course my posts above are just personal theories and beliefs based on what I personally find as evidence suggesting a connection between egypt and latin americas, as well as where Atlantis is located. Lots of more research needs to be done and more evidence needs to be discovered that can do more than just suggest it, but hopefully prove it or at least leave little doubt about it.

Well I mentioned other things that suggest what I theorize about here in addition to the masonry and stonework alone. For example Platos description of where it is, which means, that if he told the truth, the egyptians whom told him about Atlantis must gotten this from either someone who survived and ended up in Egypt, or they were themselves related to the Atlanteans, or they had traveled to Atlantis and had some connection with eachother.

And, we have the mentioned tobacco and cocaine mummies. And yes I know it is possible that this is due to later contamination, but as far I know that is just a theory as well. However research seem to show the contamination as less likely according to the tests done by the discoverer and others, here is a quote:

Balabanova herself had been worried about contamination. First she checked all the lab equipment. But being a forensic toxicologist, that wasn't all she did. Balabanova had learned her trade from working for the police, and had been trained in the methods they use for investigating a suspicious death. She'd been taught how vital it is when an autopsy is carried out to know wether the victim has consumed or been given any drugs or poisons. And she had also been taught that a special forensic technique exists which can show that the deceased has consumed a drug and rule out contamination at the same time.

So, anxious to ensure that her tests on the mummies were beyond reproach, she used this very technique - it's called the hair shaft test. Drugs and other substances consumed by humans get into the hair protein, where they stay for months, or after death - forever. Hair samples can be washed in alcohol and the washing solution itself then tested. If the testing solution is clear, but the hair tests positive, then the drug must be inside the hair shaft, which means the person consumed it during their lifetime. It's considered proof against contamination before or after death.

-

DR JOHN HENRY - Consultant Toxicologist, Guys Hospital, London:

"The hair shaft test is accepted. If you know that you've taken your hair sample from this individual and the hair shaft is known to contain a drug, then it is proof positive that the person has taken that drug. So it is accepted in law. It's put people into prison."

So as all these pieces of various suggesting evidence comes forth, the evidence towards my theory is growing stronger in my opinion. But as mentioned it is of course obviously just a theory, but I think it is a theory that might be worth researching more.

And when it comes to mummies, there's been found red haired and blonde mummies in both peru and egypt that seem to date to around same period which also is interesting. That goes for other parts of the world as well. These mummies also shows what strongly seems like caucasian features. Sure I know that sorts of coloring might have been used and that they may have dyed their hair in some ways as I've heard that theory before too, I think what is needed to solve it is dna tests to check the hair of these mummies to see if there is any connection. I am not aware of any such tests being done myself. Also I think the spaniards themselves reported seing red haired and blonde people in the americas when they got there

I'll also quote myself on a very old topic that dealt with the same thing:

There has been discovered a village somewhere in Peru where the people are blonde, have blue eyes, and look like scandinavians. Local rumors have it they descend from Vikings. They speak an ancient mayan language and not spanish, so they have been there a while. Some researcher claimed he found evidence of this language being related to ancient norse language. A norwegian explorer named Johnny Haglund found this place and documented it in one of his books. Unfortunately I dont know much more about this place as its very hard to find any information online, at least I have been unsuccsessful when trying. It is called "The valley of the white", or De Hvites Dal, as he calls it in Norwegian. I am very interested in finding out more about this place and what kind of research has been carried out on the people there. I read something about DNA tests, but I cant remember what the results were. I will get back with more info on it if I am able to figure out more.

-

Well, indeed one of the theories is that they are descendents from Dutch missionaries. But if they are of so recent origins, is it not strange there is no recollections of this in their community? From the info I have, the only thing they mentioned themselves were scandinavian vikings. And some of these people this norwegian explorer interviewed was very old, close to 100, and as far as I know not even those knew of any more recent origins. And yes as you say, there are natives that speak mayan, but is not this because they are natives, and thus have kept their tradition alive from before the europeans came? If these blonde people here are of european origin, wouldnt it be more logical that they were speaking spanish, if they were from spain as you say?

In any case, as this people are there and they do exist, I think more research should be carried out on figuring out where they descend from, and how they got there. Maybe I will try contact the norwegian explorer who wrote about them and see if he can supply me with some more info.

When it comes to the above I've still yet to find out more about it, if anyone have some more information or research done on these people I'd be interesting to hear about it.

Regarding the buildings and the pieces, I personally think that such specific and extremely similar work show a possible connection again with all the other things mentioned taken in consideration.

I'm not making any claims that my theory is a fact or that it is correct, I'm just stating what I think might be possible from the various pieces of evidence that points in that direction as far I see.

I'm not sure superficial resemblances in stoneworking are enough to act as solid proof of much, nor am I certain that expertise in stoneworking per se is enough to deem a piece of work as belonging to another (unknown) culture.

--Jaylemurph

That could be interpreted in several ways. One way is to consider where you end up if you go "beyond Atlantis" (latin americas) - you end up in another continent - Asia. Also, Atlantis might have been outside Latin America's as well somewhere and had a connection with latin americas and it is possible that when this cataclysmic event took place some went west and some went east, thus some ended up in Latin Americas and others in Egypt. So then if Atlantis was a continent or island close to latin americas, then you have the answer to your question. On that route you also got Australia of course though that is pretty far down and I doubt this had anything to do with it, but who knows.

More research needs to be done in the area to either prove or disprove any such theory though.

-EA

Oasis: I find the corners interesting too it seems in many ways to have been soft at some point, some people have suggested they used a form of concrete when building the structures, and when looking at inscriptions on several of them it seems to have been inscribed into a soft concrete type of matter while it was still wet, and then later dried up and other incscriptions has been carved into the hard stone in addition.

Also notice the "bumps" on the stones which are peculiar, and they also appear in egypt such as in one of the niche photos I posted above. What is those? Could this be the whole in the a box where they filled the concrete into and thus left a mark of the filling hole after? Just a speculation and I have no idea if this is the case or not but it's a strange feature.

I've not examined the stones themselves or taken samples to check if it is possible that it is concrete or not so I can't really say anything more than such speculations.

-EA

I absolutely think you are on to something here.

Egyptian God Thoth has been referred to in Alchemy circles as Thoth the Atlantean

Would you know if South American had some equivalent to Thoth?

While what you have pointed out, darkbreed, may indeed be a connection, what is there to suggest it is an Atlantean one and not something else?

Personally I feel Atlantis predated the Egyptians and Incas considerably.

Edited by SOUL-DRIFTER

I think I've pointed out in my previous posts why I think it is an Atlantean connection.

Regarding the Incas, yes I do believe that the Incas built upon pre-existing leftover of an earlier civilization, that may be the Atlanteans. This can be seen if you walk around in many of the Inca ruins, specifically in the Macchu Picchu area, and take a look at the stonework done there and you will see that there is some great stuff done and then some more or less not so great stuff that has been built upon pre-existing constructions, indicating that perhaps the incas found the place already abandoned and then added some of their own to it and settled down there for some time.

The real atlanteans, if they existed, were probably gone, and it is possible that the work done in both egypt and latin americas, at least what is mostly left of it now, was done by people either inspired by the original atlanteans or because they were related to them in some way that dates further back, such as when the main civilization of Atlantis itself collapsed and probably a lot of its people with exception of those whom maybe managed to escape more inlands into Latin Americas and Egypt - these survivors may be the key that connects egypt and latin americas and Atlantis, and may be the people that either were directly involved with the construction in latin america and/or egypt, or had shared their knowledge with other people in these areas that took up what they learned and built with the assistance of these. It seems to me there were several different civilizations that were influenced in similar ways at least which from my belief has to do with a common origin which I believe is Atlantis, in both Latin Americas and Egypt.

As soon as I can afford it and get the time I'll do some more research in those areas and try spend some more time on field work there and see if I can discover any other possible connections of any sort.

While what you have pointed out, darkbreed, may indeed be a connection, what is there to suggest it is an Atlantean one and not something else?

Personally I feel Atlantis predated the Egyptians and Incas considerably.

Is there a Gades there somewhere? As Plato said, Eumelous had the district (extremity) of the island facing/beside/in front of Gades.

Well at least the feathered serpent gods were part of both latin american and egyptian belief so we have a connection when it comes to that as well. Some speculate that Quetzacotal and Thoth is representing the same God.

Some other interesting connections:

Ancient Mexicans and Egyptians who never met and lived centuries and thousands of miles apart both worshiped feathered-serpent deities, built pyramids and developed a 365-day calendar, a new exhibition shows.

-snip-

"There are huge cultural parallels between ancient Egypt and Mexico in religion, astronomy, architecture and the arts. They deserve to be appreciated together," said exhibition organizer Gina Ulloa, who spent almost three years preparing the 35,520 square-feet (3,300 meter-square) display.

-snip-

In the arts, Mexico's earliest civilization, the Olmecs, echo Egypt's finest sculptures. Olmec artists carved large man-jaguar warriors that are similar to the Egyptian sphinxes on display showing lions with the heads of gods or kings.

The seated statue of an Egyptian scribe carved between 2465 and 2323 BC shows stonework and attention to detail that parallels a seated stone sculpture of an Olmec lord.

Above quote from a Reuters news story at: http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnN24278139.html

There is also linguistic evidence suggesting that mayan languag and egyptian had a common origin:

http://www.earthmatrix.com/comparative.html

I absolutely think you are on to something here.

Egyptian God Thoth has been referred to in Alchemy circles as Thoth the Atlantean

Would you know if South American had some equivalent to Thoth?

I have heard this theory before, read a book about this actually. James Churward, I guess. Funny that the first connection you noticed between the Ancient Mexicans and Egyptians is their architecture and stonework, just like he stated.

Okay - here's a theory for ya!!

linked-image

This hypothesis of course is based on the fact that these "blocks" were still wet and not completely cured. This method was used in the not-so-distant-past on the priairies, when folks first settled the plains of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. They had nothing to build houses with, as there are hardly any trees on the priairies, so they built "soddies". These are actually dug into the ground like a cave, but not so deep. Then taking the dirt that had been dug out, they made bricks with it. The bricks were left to dry in the sun for a time, until they were something like silly putty. Workable, and not breakable as would be a hard brick. The bricks would then be placed and shaped to wherever they had to go. After that, a slime of clay and water was spread over the roof which made it waterproof.

Now for a bigger block, one could use the "scissor lift" I've so crudely drawn. The block would still be workable, so you put the side pieces up to the block and lift. The scissors close. Some of the "putty" oozes out the holes. You place the block where you want, the weight comes off the scissors and they open: then work it, smooth it, cut it, trim it, whatever, and then leave it to thoroughly harden. If another block was going to be put behind or in front of the first block, the nipple would have simply been cut off smooth with the block. No need to cut off the one in front.

Actually, now that I think about it, this could be what Herodotus is describing regarding the "machines" that lift the blocks one layer at a time. For the smaller blocks anyway.

Maybe - if one could figure out some of those little jewellry pieces, one could figure out that they were actually models of machinery that were used to lift and place with.

Edited by Qoais

Ancient Mexicans and Egyptians who never met and lived centuries and thousands of miles apart both worshiped feathered-serpent deities, built pyramids and developed a 365-day calendar, a new exhibition shows.

Oh come on now, DB, you can't seriously be using astronomy as a point of coincidence! Of course two different societies with solar calendars are going to arrive at a 365-day cycles, just like two societies with lunar calendars are going to come up with 28-day cycles! Are you going to suggest a relationship between the Hebrews and the Chinese now? ;)

Seriously though, I do agree with you that the Incas seem to have built up on the foundations of another culture; I'd just be loathe to call it Atlantis or say it's more advanced than the Incas, though. By the exact same logic, you could say the society of Western Europe built up by the Franks or the Goths or the Saxons in the Early Middle Ages was based on a mysteriously advanced culture -- but that culture was just Rome. Not mysteriously advanced. Not Atlantis.

--Jaylemurph

Well from my personal observation and research at several sites i can only conclude with what is obvious; the pre-incas seem to have been more advanced in their stone technology than the later incas were. Mysteriously advanced, well that's your words not mine, I'm just saying "more advanced" than the incas whom found it. I don't consider Atlantis to be some sort of spaced out super civilization with space ships and time machines or aliens and what not, like some people do when it comes to Atlantis. I merely see it as a lost civilization that for its time was advanced. And it disappeared and little evidence is left of it, it is not even located properly yet, unlike for example Rome as in your own example. If we had heard of a great civilization like Rome, but not seen it or found it, it sure would have been something interesting to search for just like Atlantis is for me - Atlantis being a somewhat vague term though as I am not sure that it was it's real name, if it even was. But I am pretty sure of it's existence from the little evidence so far and the things that I've and many others have found to point towards such a civilization, and I still think south america and the areas that might have been close is the best candidate so far.

In any case, its a great adventure to just research the topic and travel around and visit the different sites and see the beauty of the ancients and get some new insights on their cultures, beliefs, achievements and so on, even if it turns out there is no Atlantis there still is enough interesting sites to still be discovered, and of those that have already been discovered there's plenty more to learn about them, so the bottom line is that it is a great field of study as it gets you around and in contact with lots of interesting things on the way, and hopefully it will lead to some very important and groundbreaking new discovery about the ancients and solve some of the mysteries surrounding them at some point.

-EA

Seriously though, I do agree with you that the Incas seem to have built up on the foundations of another culture; I'd just be loathe to call it Atlantis or say it's more advanced than the Incas, though. By the exact same logic, you could say the society of Western Europe built up by the Franks or the Goths or the Saxons in the Early Middle Ages was based on a mysteriously advanced culture -- but that culture was just Rome. Not mysteriously advanced. Not Atlantis.

--Jaylemurph

Labyrinth Carving, Macchu Picchu Peru:

linked-image

Labyrinth Carving, Kom Ombo Egypt:

linked-image

The above again suggest a connection between ancient latin americas and egypt. This symbol is so special that it takes something to come up with that in two different places in the world without any connection. Actually the labyrinth thing is an interesting mystery on its own that strongly indicates ancient migration and contact between different continents were more common than most believe today. For more on the Labyrinth check http://mmmgroup.altervista.org/e-labiri.html

The Egyptian culture was over a thousand years old before the earliest American culture that built large scale stone ceremonial architecture, the Olmecs, even started building...

If you know of a culture that was building stone ceremonial architecture prior to the Olmecs I’d appreciate a link...

You’re really playing fast and loose with the time line to make your hypothesis work... IMO

BTW, I’d like to know the ages of the two structures with the 'KEYSTONE CUTS' you used as evidence, I suspect there’s a considerable amount of time separating the two examples...

Edited by Pax Unum