Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Palin's daughter pregnant

pendora

What I am noticing, is that she pretty much failed, in my opinion, she pretty much failed in living the values she supposedly is being represented through her. I'm just saying that I think she's not living the family values that usually is presented as a republican candidate. That is what I find hypercritical.

HER DAUGHTER got pregnant. A 17 year old girl, no matter how she's been raised, most likely has a mind of her own. It is insanity to hold the mother responsible and a failure for the acts of a woman just shy of legal adulthood. Especially when you don't personally know the people.

Decide to vote or not vote for her based on her record and her platform, nothing more.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stubbly_Dooright

• Neognosis

• danielost

• BlindMessiah

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HER DAUGHTER got pregnant. A 17 year old girl, no matter how she's been raised, most likely has a mind of her own. It is insanity to hold the mother responsible and a failure for the acts of a woman just shy of legal adulthood. Especially when you don't personally know the people.

Decide to vote or not vote for her based on her record and her platform, nothing more.

Well stated, and again, for the record, I'm extremely impressed with Obama's stance on this subject, that family's should be out of bounds.

It's because Palin is being sold partially as the "hockey mom" with a good, conservative family - the epitome of good American family values. This doesn't exactly reflect well on that.

Think, for example, of what the reaction would be if it was Barack Obama's 17-Year-Old daughter who got pregnant.

As for the unnamed young man, while I would hope he genuinely wants to marry Bristol, it really almost doesn't matter if he does or not. You do not p*** off the family of a potential Vice President, especially when doing so would cause the media to turn its eye on you and no doubt kick up a ****storm that would leave you marked forever.

Utterly amazing, but somewhat expected...

The media hopped right on something that's 5 months old, and which Senator McCain knew about already. It's probably good for the campaign, especially given the obvious values that are being illustrated by Gov. Palin and her daughter.

However, it should be off limits, as Chelsea Clinton was, and as Obama's children are. You won't hear the left-wing media talking about those kids...they didn't and they won't.

The problem now is, several liberal democrats are now riling against this covereage of the daughter of a candidate... :) It's actually rather comical to see.

The fact is, Gov. Palin is virtually unassailable; has a record, an appeal, and an approval rating which the liberal media knows is a serious problem, and they will try their damndest to cut her down. Their problem is that they are failing, and will, because despite the fact that NOW and associated feminist groups don't like her (for obvious reasons), the good Governor is the epitome of the feminist movement as it should be---she's a feminist success story! They know this too---they know full well that people are going to like her--alot, and they have a serious problem on their hands.

And if Obama's daughter got pregnant??

Well, it would depend on what she decided to do about it. If she kept it--I'm thinking that would be viewed as a choice the young woman made and the media would respect her for it. If she didn't, the media would probably chanmpion her as an illustration of pro-choice exemplified. She couldn't lose.

In this case, we have Gov. Palin's "judgement" actually being questioned! Wierd stuff...very wierd stuff.

No one seems to mention the fact that this was all known months ago, fleshed out withing the confines of the family, the daughter made a decision to KEEP THE BABY (dear God, what was she thinking), get married and take responsibility for her actions (how's that work?), and it has no bearing at all on anything pertaining to her Mother's career.

Her Mother accepted the appointment and will of course accept the nomination to run for Vice President of the United States...with the full knowledge that this situation exists. And, McCain knew too! What's the big deal? They made a decision...that's it. It seems apparent that this young woman has been encouraged to make her own decision, and she did.

Ditto with Incorrigible.

Well stated. It's an irrelevancy...

Well stated, and again, for the record, I'm extremely impressed with Obama's stance on this subject, that family's should be out of bounds.

I agree, but never forget: Obama is a politician and therefore, by default, a calculating liar. He may be saying that because he knows he's going to win by taking the high road.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Vote or don't vote for him based on his record and platform as well.

The media hopped right on something that's 5 months old, and which Senator McCain knew about already.

And we know McCain knew about it how? Because he says he knew? Don't forget, McCain is a politician, and therefore a calculating liar by default. Again, my mantra this entire election is going to be Vote or don't Vote based on record and platform, not his nonsense. If everyone voted based on record and platform, maybe we wouldn't have the embarassments that we put into office in the past, on all levels.

This just begs the question

Is Palin a 2 timer

On one hand she preaches family and christian values

On another she cant even keep her daughter in raps

Is everybody else supposed to teach their celibacy when she holds double standards when it comes to her own daughter

Palin is just hungry for money and power and she wil use any means to get it

>>>Are you dense? Have you been 17 before?

>>>This is just a really dumb statement. Extremely dumb.

I don't think you understand my point. I'm not holding her responsible for her parental responsiblities, because I agree with you, it's nobody's business. It's the irony here, that I find conservatives do in making personal business everyone's business, telling them how to live, and then something happens to them to bite them right back. Again, I have often found republicans making mine and everyone else's personal lives their business, so I feel they should follow their own lead. I just noticed they didn't. Like I said before, and I hope you understand this now, I think that Palin shouldn't have taken the VP nomination, if she was aware of her daughter's situation. That is not saying I blame her for her daughter's situation or how her daughter was raised, I'm saying that Palin's situation makes her a hypercrite. Is it the way I presented my post?

By the way, as for someone who is 17 years old, they are still considered a minor by law for a reason. According to law, they still don't have what it takes to really know their own mind yet. So what they do, it's on the parents. I do believe, if Bristol broke the law or caused damages, her parents would be the ones the authorities would come to. I believe this is what happens to all parents of minors, no matter what their ages are.

Now, looking back at an earlier post of mine, it does goes against it at some point.

And the thing is, 17 years old is an interesting age if you think about it. Yes, this is the age of a minor, but does that mean that minor graduated high school yet? For all I know, or all we know, Bristol may have her high school diploma already. She turns 18, gets married, and everything turns out alright.

Then again, she would still be considered a minor, but not for long. More than likely she'll need her parents permission, written permission to get married.

Edited by Watchful

You know, looking at what you wrote here, I reflect. I'm a mother of a sixteen year old, and if my daughter ever gets pregnant, I know I would feel utter responsible for that. And please note, my husband would feel the same thing. Like I said earlier, a 17 is still considered a minor, and the parents are held responsible. I think for good reason, because they are the sole custodial parents and in charge of them. Granted, as the child gets older, and thinks more on their own, but they are considered, from my observation of life, not considered able to be seen to think on their own until they are 18. I am having a hard time with your staunch that Bristol's parents are not responsible in some way for her situation. If Bristol was 18 or older, that would be different.

This just begs the question

Is Palin a 2 timer

On one hand she preaches family and christian values

Is everybody else supposed to teach their celibacy when she holds double standards when it comes to her own daughter

Kids will always make mistakes, you can hardly deny that.

Double standards after the fact? I can't think she's happy about it but she's also pro-life so she doesn't want her to have an abortion. Not sure where you got that from... Seems you just made it up.

At least the young father is a class act.

Palin and her husband, Todd, said their daughter plans to marry the child's father - who sources said is Levi Johnston - and that both "are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family."

Johnston, 17, who is entering his senior year at Wasilla HS, plays on the school hockey team and was once teammates on a youth squad with Palin's older brother, Track, 19, who is now in the Army.

Despite suffering a cracked bone in his shin last season, Johnston scored 24 goals in 24 games.

"We don't want to talk about this," said a woman who answered the phone at the Johnston home.

On his MySpace page, Johnston boasts, "I'm a f - - -in' redneck" who likes to snowboard and ride dirt bikes.

"But I live to play hockey. I like to go camping and hang out with the boys, do some fishing, shoot some s- - - and just f - - -in' chillin' I guess."

"Ya f - - - with me I'll kick [your] ***," he added.

He also claims to be "in a relationship," but states, "I don't want kids."

edit// Of course, in the ten pages of this thread this has already been posted. Apologies. But it amuses me.

Edited by Startraveler

Oh, I agree. The thing is, I see the 'family values' thing spewed on a common basis, like it is very important to everyone and should be out in the fore front in politics and the media. 'Family Values' that Palin is, and that is being used as part of her label for her position. And then you have a little anti'family values in the form of her daughter.

That her daughter got pregnant is not evidence of poor parenting or of anything else.

In case you didn't know, a lot of teenagers have sex whether or not their parents tell them to or not, whether they are raised catholic, jewish, conservative, liberal, etc. etc.

Sometimes they get pregnant.

The real family value, IMO, is standing by family when they do something to embarass you or hurt your career.

Of course, there is a bit of irony in that Palin is against sex ed in public schools, so there is that.

Where did you get the idea, that I said that there is poor parenting from Palin?

I am having a hard time with your staunch that Bristol's parents are not responsible in some way for her situation. If Bristol was 18 or older, that would be different.

so the difference of a few years and some man-made laws effects whether or not the parents are responsible?

You don't know the palins. You don't know this Bristol kid. It doesn't matter anyway. It's nonsense and should have no bearing on politics whatsoever. Do you think that they didn't try to raise their kid the best way they knew?

I get your point...conservatives want to decide what's acceptable moral behavior for everyone, and now their VP nominee has a kid who did not behave according to their own moral code. Ok, point made.

Now can we talk about the real reasons that Palin should never hold another public office, and not this nonsense?

So her daughter's name is Bristol.. which if there is any other artists out there should pick up how funny it is to name your child after a type of paper... but her son is named Track?

._o

Hurray for conservatism!

ST. PAUL -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee who revealed Monday that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant, earlier this year used her line-item veto to slash funding for a state program benefiting teen mothers in need of a place to live.

After the legislature passed a spending bill in April, Palin went through the measure reducing and eliminating funds for programs she opposed. Inking her initials on the legislation -- "SP" -- Palin reduced funding for Covenant House Alaska by more than 20 percent, cutting funds from $5 million to $3.9 million. Covenant House is a mix of programs and shelters for troubled youths, including Passage House, which is a transitional home for teenage mothers.

According to Passage House's web site, its purpose is to provide "young mothers a place to live with their babies for up to eighteen months while they gain the necessary skills and resources to change their lives" and help teen moms "become productive, successful, independent adults who create and provide a stable environment for themselves and their families."

So her daughter's name is Bristol.. which if there is any other artists out there should pick up how funny it is to name your child after a type of paper... but her son is named Track?

._o

Or she's a big Nascar fan. Bristol ( Tenn. ) is one of the most popular tracks in Nascar. And to have a son named Track ? Quite a coincidence.

Caroline and John Kennedy didn't turn out so bad. They were very young when their father took office. Amy Carter, Chelsea Clinton, etc.

Barack Obama, if elected, will be raising children while on the job.

Somehow, making Palin out to be a questionable mother for seeking office with young children seems............sexist, don't you think?

Yes, it's sexist if you want to view it that way. I'm female, I'm completely liberal as well. However, I DO believe that infants need their moms. I believe that teenaged girls need their moms. I believe that new born grandchildren need their grandmas. Dads are important, don't get me wrong, however, they are not moms. These people have a lot going on in their family. A pregnant teen, a downs syndrome INFANT, an impending grandchild... As a mother, I couldn't take that job knowing I'd largely be ignorning ALL of them.

so the difference of a few years and some man-made laws effects whether or not the parents are responsible?
By law, yup. It must be a law for a reason, right?

You don't know the palins. You don't know this Bristol kid. It doesn't matter anyway. It's nonsense and should have no bearing on politics whatsoever. Do you think that they didn't try to raise their kid the best way they knew?
I'm sure they did raise her the best that they could, and still are too. The thing is, this would not be an issue, if Palin herself wasn't tauted as a great VP nominee because of her conservative pro-family values I feel she makes it clear to everyone. Again, I have gotten the message, that she was aware of her daughter's situation before she accepted the VP nomination, and she shouldn't have accepted it. If she was not being made as such a big pro-family value person, as tauted from the normal list of what the conservatives see as their version of family values, then her daughter's situation wouldn't be a consideration. It's not really about Bristol, it's about the hypocracy. You're right, I don't know her, but Palin invited everyone to know her by her accepting a VP nominee as a conservative pro-family values person. If she wants to be taken seriously, practice what she preaches. It's not how she is as a parent I find in question here, it's how she is as a character.

I get your point...conservatives want to decide what's acceptable moral behavior for everyone, and now their VP nominee has a kid who did not behave according to their own moral code. Ok, point made.
Good, I was afraid you weren't understanding what I was saying.

Now can we talk about the real reasons that Palin should never hold another public office, and not this nonsense?

Ok, that wouldn't be the point of this particular thread although, considering this thread's title. Maybe a new thread should start on why she really was picked for VP nominee. I'm hoping McCain picked her for her qualities, like I hope Obama picked Biden for his. I'm hearing differently of what people might perceive as why McCain picked her, but I like to hear all the sides of the story.

Yes, it's sexist if you want to view it that way. I'm female, I'm completely liberal as well. However, I DO believe that infants need their moms. I believe that teenaged girls need their moms. I believe that new born grandchildren need their grandmas. Dads are important, don't get me wrong, however, they are not moms. These people have a lot going on in their family. A pregnant teen, a downs syndrome INFANT, an impending grandchild... As a mother, I couldn't take that job knowing I'd largely be ignorning ALL of them.

And I'm the same way. I know I couldn't do the job that Palin has accepted. And as I have observed throughout the years, both men and women are participating in both roles now, so as we might feel that a mother can do things outside of the home and yet try to be their for her children, I see fathers who have the responsibilities they always have had, but now try to fulfill and spend more time with their children then before. In which, I think it's great, it helps round out both mom and dad. I think it will be hard on Obama, if he's president, to try to fulfill the need of a father wanting to spend as much time as he can with his growing daughters, in which a president who is also a father, really didn't think he could because of society's point of view of fathers then.

I think we can't pin point all women, or men, into what they can or cannot do. I think Palin got where she is today for a reason, and doing that as a wife and mother. I know I wouldn't have gotten that far in her place, just making a retail career, from part time to full time as a mother of two, I think is tough, but I did it even though I don't think it compares to what Palin does. I believe Palin is a mother of five. Maybe Mr. Palin is more of the hands on father than Palin is a hands on mother. I think we should be credited for what we are able to give from ourselves, and not what our gender can, because it seems in the sense of everyone, gender doesn't mean we all love those roles we're put in. I guess, in the long run, I do wonder though, if McCain wins the presidency, and he then dies, would Palin be able to handle the Presidency as a mother of five children, some of them very young? Maybe or maybe not. I think some can't help to think that the answer being questionable is not something that should be considered for someone so close to the presidency.

Then again, that is how I feel. *SHrugs*

Edit mistake. Sorry.

Edited by Watchful

By law, yup. It must be a law for a reason, right?

I'm sure they did raise her the best that they could, and still are too. The thing is, this would not be an issue, if Palin herself wasn't tauted as a great VP nominee because of her conservative pro-family values I feel she makes it clear to everyone. Again, I have gotten the message, that she was aware of her daughter's situation before she accepted the VP nomination, and she shouldn't have accepted it. If she was not being made as such a big pro-family value person, as tauted from the normal list of what the conservatives see as their version of family values, then her daughter's situation wouldn't be a consideration. It's not really about Bristol, it's about the hypocracy. You're right, I don't know her, but Palin invited everyone to know her by her accepting a VP nominee as a conservative pro-family values person. If she wants to be taken seriously, practice what she preaches. It's not how she is as a parent I find in question here, it's how she is as a character.

Good, I was afraid you weren't understanding what I was saying.

Ok, that wouldn't be the point of this particular thread although, considering this thread's title. Maybe a new thread should start on why she really was picked for VP nominee. I'm hoping McCain picked her for her qualities, like I hope Obama picked Biden for his. I'm hearing differently of what people might perceive as why McCain picked her, but I like to hear all the sides of the story.

By the way, I am still wondering why you thought I claimed that it was poor parenting on Palin's part.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrg! My editing stinks!

Teenagers get pregnant, I don't give a CRAP about that. Whatever, that doesn't make me think any more or less of Palin.

What gets me is that she's all high and mighty woman power and family values, but this job she's accepted will rip her away from her family. How is that NOT duplicity?

Or she's a big Nascar fan. Bristol ( Tenn. ) is one of the most popular tracks in Nascar. And to have a son named Track ? Quite a coincidence.

OMGS that's even *WORSE*

"Yeah.. my parents named us after a NASCAR track!!"

*convulses*