Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Palin, "Iraq War, Task from God"

EmpressStarXVII

Palin: Iraq war 'a task that is from God'

By GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

A video of the speech was posted at the Wasilla Assembly of God's Web site before finding its way on to other sites on the Internet.

Palin told graduating students of the church's School of Ministry, "What I need to do is strike a deal with you guys." As they preached the love of Jesus throughout Alaska, she said, she'd work to implement God's will from the governor's office, including creating jobs by building a pipeline to bring North Slope natural gas to North American markets.

"God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," she said.

"I can do my job there in developing our natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded," she added. "But really all of that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart isn't right with God."

Source and Full article here.

I can handle the uncomfortable opinion, though I disagree with it immensely, that the Iraq war is somehow inspired by God. But a $30 Billion dollar pipeline is stretching it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlindMessiah

• eqgumby

• danielost

• IrishAidan07

the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

InI can handle the uncomfortable opinion, though I disagree with it immensely, that the Iraq war is somehow inspired by God. But a $30 Billion dollar pipeline is stretching it.

bet god sweats under his collar with this statement

"It's god's will or somebody else's fault!"

Once more.. religion and politics do not belong together.. The time of claiming wars are for some deity is long long over...

"It's god's will or somebody else's fault!"

Once more.. religion and politics do not belong together.. The time of claiming wars are for some deity is long long over...

Maybe the God she is talking about is the other guy from below(ha,ha,ha),you can't mix religion with politics although you want another Dark Ages.Please stay away from people like these.....

By GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

A video of the speech was posted at the Wasilla Assembly of God's Web site before finding its way on to other sites on the Internet.

Palin told graduating students of the church's School of Ministry, "What I need to do is strike a deal with you guys." As they preached the love of Jesus throughout Alaska, she said, she'd work to implement God's will from the governor's office, including creating jobs by building a pipeline to bring North Slope natural gas to North American markets.

"God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," she said.

"I can do my job there in developing our natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded," she added. "But really all of that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart isn't right with God."

Source and Full article here.

I can handle the uncomfortable opinion, though I disagree with it immensely, that the Iraq war is somehow inspired by God. But a $30 Billion dollar pipeline is stretching it.

Clearly, God is a fan of natural gas.

Ridiculous comment, but other than that, Palin was absolutely impressive. She is beautiful, smart, and worked her way from stay at home mom to potential vice president. Very smart pick for McCain. Not to mention that it might pull some Hillary supporters to vote for him.

Ridiculous comment, but other than that, Palin was absolutely impressive. She is beautiful, smart, and worked her way from stay at home mom to potential vice president. Very smart pick for McCain. Not to mention that it might pull some Hillary supporters to vote for him.

too bad republican insiders don't think that. And it isn't pulling anymore Clinton voters that before picking her. The one's that were upset Clinton didn't get the nomination and turned their backs. Off set btw easily by the number of republicans who have refused to vote for McCain.

Clearly, God is a fan of natural gas.

:lol:

too bad republican insiders don't think that. And it isn't pulling anymore Clinton voters that before picking her. The one's that were upset Clinton didn't get the nomination and turned their backs. Off set btw easily by the number of republicans who have refused to vote for McCain.

While that is an optimistic outlook; I really do think Irish has a point. We're careless enough to vote for someone based on such frivolous things. Considering how historic an election it would be if a woman were to be the first vice-president; I see a very large amount of women (especially those who decided not to vote at all) actually going out to vote for McCain just to see it happen.

"everything happens for a reason" is the logical theory

"god's will or task from god" is the physical theory

..totally opposite theories from one another..

..Palin took one too many pucks to the head sitting in the stands im guessing.

COME ON PEOPLE IT IS A TRUTH IN ANY WAR. GOD IS ON OUR SIDE. DOESN'T MATTER WHICH SIDE IT IS. GOD IS ON OUR SIDE ALLAI IS ON THEIR SIDE SAMETHING.

Yes I am shouting, you condemn a republican for invoking God but not a democrat. I believe Obama invoked God as well for the wars in one way or another.

"Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion."

-Jon Stewart

Have the christians supporting a mission that isn't there only what they want to say it is and on the other side you have crazed up muslims murdering infidels for world domination. Great...

I wonder how these remarks are sounding overseas. How many times republicans have claimed this isn't a religious war( we knew better ) and to hear this ? keep fanning those flames of hate.

COME ON PEOPLE IT IS A TRUTH IN ANY WAR. GOD IS ON OUR SIDE. DOESN'T MATTER WHICH SIDE IT IS. GOD IS ON OUR SIDE ALLAI IS ON THEIR SIDE SAMETHING.

Yes I am shouting, you condemn a republican for invoking God but not a democrat. I believe Obama invoked God as well for the wars in one way or another.

asking God to care for soldiers or civillians , to protect is one thing. To call the war a 'task from God' is something else.

I knew this would pop up eventually.

I think it's a little over-blown. I think she was speaking to a specific audience, and speaking hopefully about the reasons for having gone to war. Not that a burning bush and a voice from the clouds said, "Go to WAR!", but that we are doing the "right thing" within the confines of the specific religion they (and she) subscribes too.

Any time a population goes to war, they attempt to use religion as a tool to comfort, justify, etc etc. I do NOT think these people are using their religion to justify a war.

That being said...

I really wish ALL politicians would refrain from speaking specifically about religion no matter what group they are talking too. They just sound so disingenuous when they do.

Any politician who tries to justify such a big thing with God's will should be removed from office immediately. Even if you accept the completely irrational idea that God talks to individual people, how can you tell the difference between God's will and voices in your head?

Any politician who tries to justify such a big thing with God's will should be removed from office immediately. Even if you accept the completely irrational idea that God talks to individual people, how can you tell the difference between God's will and voices in your head?

Didn't eggumby just cover that?

I sorta kinda agree. I think there are Clinton supporters who will vote McCain, but as you said, nothing to do with his vp pick. I don't agree that any significant amount of conservatives will not vote for McCain, while polls show 25% of Clinton supporters will support him. Polls are highly inaccurate but still. As I said before, I don't think McCain is going to have any problems especially with Dobson endorsing him last week.

Any politician who tries to justify such a big thing with God's will should be removed from office immediately.

On what basis? Where exactly in our laws is it illegal for a leader to act on religious convictions? The truth is everyone makes decisions based on their own personal world view. Whether that world view is relgious doesn't matter. If you don't like their world view don't vote for the individual. However, there is no room for attempting to outlaw world views outside of your own.

Even if you accept the completely irrational idea that God talks to individual people, how can you tell the difference between God's will and voices in your head?

She didn't claim to hear voices.

On what basis? Where exactly in our laws is it illegal for a leader to act on religious convictions? The truth is everyone makes decisions based on their own personal world view. Whether that world view is relgious doesn't matter. If you don't like their world view don't vote for the individual. However, there is no room for attempting to outlaw world views outside of your own.

As you can see Liberalism is for free speech, but only if they like what you are saying.

results

People should not invoke the name of God for their own capitalist ventures especially when so much murder and death is involved.

Edited by Rosewin

Acting on religious convictions is one thing, such as working to aleviate poverty and suffering because of your Christian convictions. Going to war because it's what you think God want's is mental illness. If your convictions cause you to make a bad decision, but no harm is done, then there's nothing wrong with it. But this is different. There are hundreds of thousands of people who are dead now because a man heard voices in his head. Removing people with dangerous opinions from positions where they could cause great harm is not stiffling free speech, it's protecting people. Would you put a white supremacist in charge of vaccinating children in Africa? Would you put a voodoo healer in charge of a hospital?

She didn't claim to hear voices.

But Bush did and she's backing up what he said.

results

Thousands of innocent people dead.

How about:

'5:38-39 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.'

'5:43-44 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;'

If they believe in the same God that said that, along with 'Thou Shalt Not Kill', then clearly the messages they're recieving from God are not accurate.

What really boggles my mind is how these money grubbing republican 'christians' can so often invoke God's will, despite certain things not being prohibited by the Bible, while not sticking to the words of Jesus. Doesn't it seem ridiculous that God is meant to be the all loving all powerful and all knowing, and loves and cares for each individual human being, yet at the same time want's us to kill people for the simple fact that they call their god by a different name?

Acting on religious convictions is one thing, such as working to aleviate poverty and suffering because of your Christian convictions. Going to war because it's what you think God want's is mental illness. If your convictions cause you to make a bad decision, but no harm is done, then there's nothing wrong with it. But this is different. There are hundreds of thousands of people who are dead now because a man heard voices in his head. Removing people with dangerous opinions from positions where they could cause great harm is not stiffling free speech, it's protecting people. Would you put a white supremacist in charge of vaccinating children in Africa? Would you put a voodoo healer in charge of a hospital?

No, but if they're elected there is nothing we can do. You can be impeached for your views no matter how incredibly stupid.

Didn't eggumby just cover that?

Bingo!

But, the haters never listen, because it's not what they want to hear.

Oddly enough Michelle, I get this from both sides, as I am generally a moderate when it comes to politics, and I tend to think both sides of the coin lie on a regular basis.

Sarah Palin is a very religious person. And she makes it well known.

But for many people, that will be a major factor in weather or not they vote for her.

And as petty as it may seem, that is definitely a turn off for me.