Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zen meditation really does clear the mind

UM-Bot

news icon rThe seemingly nonsensical Zen practice of "thinking about not thinking" could help free the mind of distractions, new brain scans reveal.

This suggests Zen meditation could help treat attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (so-called ADD or ADHD), obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety disorder, major depression and other disorders marked by distracting thoughts.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Live Science

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Grandpa Greenman

• brothers

• mnemeion

I don't know about others but I don't really sit in the lotus position. Sometimes I just sit back in our terrace and think about nothing, or sometimes lay down in our roof, and again, think about nothing until a solution on my problem just pops out. Really relaxing.

Some 20 years or so ago there was a movement about transcendental meditation and said the same things then. This is ofcourse not new just new research.

• 1 month later...
Some 20 years or so ago there was a movement about transcendental meditation and said the same things then. This is ofcourse not new just new research.

The movement started in the 60's not in the 80's... saying it from experience

I don't see why this should be news either,but anyhow:)

From experience I can say that certain Zen techniques do help in the case of anxiety disorder/mental restlessness in general.

Zen has a great depth and what I admire the most about it is the fact that it aims to transcend logic.

I've recently read "An introduction to Zen Buddhism".Certain concepts are very interestingly put, especially the one of "satori".

Here are a few chapters from the book: http://www.geocities.com/upakaascetic/zen_intro.html