Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Former POW (with McCain) says McCain is

Lt_Ripley

John McCain has been exploiting his prisoner of war experience every chance he gets. He has used this story to justify everything from not knowing how many homes he has to his healthcare plan to his marital infidelities to his taste in music. The McCain campaign is even using his POW story in paid ads. But now a veteran who was a prisoner with McCain in Vietnam is explaining loud and clear that being a POW does not qualify McCain to lead our country.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lt_Ripley

• __Kratos__

• LogicalPiccolo

• acidhead

Top Posters In This Topic

John McCain has been exploiting his prisoner of war experience every chance he gets. He has used this story to justify everything from not knowing how many homes he has to his healthcare plan to his marital infidelities to his taste in music. The McCain campaign is even using his POW story in paid ads. But now a veteran who was a prisoner with McCain in Vietnam is explaining loud and clear that being a POW does not qualify McCain to lead our country.

No one has ever claimed that all POW were Republicans.

No one has ever claimed that all POW were Republicans.

Not to mention it was said at the RNC (I believe by Fred Thompson) that McCain being a POW didn't qualify him to be President. It's the fact he's had that experience first hand, to better understand a soldier's place in this military, and MUCH better to be commander-in-chief over such circumstances. I don't think anyone thinks that is the sole reason he should become the President, but it is certainly a fighting point. Especially against Obama's experience.

I mean, if you think about it, would you rather have an individual with a Masters Degree or Doctorate in English to be teaching your children High School English? Or someone who just passed their freshmen exams? Experience makes a difference, especially when you are talking to families who have family oversees at war. I have a brother over there who my family worries about everyday, and with the promises to cut military spending that Obama has been making, I have pretty good faith my brother would be better taken care of under McCain.

Edited by Ambriel

Not to mention it was said at the RNC (I believe by Fred Thompson) that McCain being a POW didn't qualify him to be President. It's the fact he's had that experience first hand, to better understand a soldier's place in this military, and MUCH better to be commander-in-chief over such circumstances. I don't think anyone thinks that is the sole reason he should become the President, but it is certainly a fighting point. Especially against Obama's experience.

I mean, if you think about it, would you rather have an individual with a Masters Degree or Doctorate in English to be teaching your children High School English? Or someone who just passed their freshmen exams? Experience makes a difference, especially when you are talking to families who have family oversees at war. I have a brother over there who my family worries about everyday, and with the promises to cut military spending that Obama has been making, I have pretty good faith my brother would be better taken care of under McCain.

I have 2 family members back from Iraq and one soon to be leaving for Afghanistan. My uncle is a Vietnam vet . All are voting for Obama. It isn't the president that runs the military. Bush isn't/wasn't smart enough to fly a plane( he became suddenly afraid to fly) let alone make military decisions. McCain graduated at the bottom of his class , has no control of his temper , has shown he doesn't really understand what's going on in the middle east , makes rash decisions and has been at odds with Vets for years.

I'd rather have great military leaders and solid honest intell without an administration twisting it and a level headed smart sane temper controlled person in office. that isn't McCain.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

Fellow POWs stand by McCain

ST. PAUL — John McCain is accused of talking too much about his experience as a prisoner of war, but many of his fellow Vietnam POWs say the Republican presidential nominee can't talk about it enough.

In McCain's acceptance speech, scheduled for tonight, "we think he should play it up more," says Dave Wheat, a retired Navy pilot from Minnesota who was a POW for more than seven years. "People have always been interested in our experience, and they tout it more than we do. … To say he's milking it" — as former president Jimmy Carter did last week — "is a gross injustice."

Tom McNish, shot down and captured in 1966, says the senator "is telling his story now to allow the American people to understand who he is."

For the POWs, McCain's nomination is a reminder of what they endured in captivity and achieved after it.

Wherever they watch his speech — living room, corner bar, convention floor — they'll think of how far they've come and how much they and others like them have paid: suicides and divorces, lost promotions and missed opportunities, wounds and nightmares.

"We've gone from the bottom of the heap to the top of the heap," says Alan Brunstrom, an Air Force pilot captured in 1966. Adds Bill Baugh of Colorado Springs, shot down on his 25th combat mission, "John's the epitome of how we've hung in there."

McCain was a Navy pilot when he was downed over North Vietnam in October 1967. He suffered crippling, life-threatening injuries; received poor medical treatment; turned down an early release offered by the North Vietnamese after they learned his father was a top Naval commander; was isolated and tortured.

Like most of the other POWs, he was released in 1973.

Today, they're still tight. "If you've walked through a fire together like that, you've shared an experience very few people can relate to," says McNish, who was in a cell next to McCain's in the prison known as the Hanoi Hilton.

Almost all of McCain's former fellow captives like and respect him, even when they disagree. "I know him as a man, and that's most important," says Bill Austin, a former fighter pilot downed a few weeks before McCain. "He is who he says he is."

More of the article here: Link

------------------------------------------------------------

Majority like and respect him... Minority complains about him.

Majority like and respect him... Minority complains about him.

I wouldn't say the majority like him when he gets treated as a golden boy for singing ( which is why most vets call him songbird) when others who were treated as badly and complied with communist propaganda making as he did get brought up for treason. Not to forget what he 'thinks' and on going treatment of POW-MIA family members . no love lost there.

Iraq Veterans Against the War marched to the convention center in St. Paul yesterday intending to present Senator John McCain with a list of demands regarding U.S. military actions in Iraq and Afghanistan. The veterans conducted a similar exercise in Denver at the Democratic Convention and delivered their letter to Senator Obama. McCain, however, refused to meet with the group. The UpTake's Chuck Olsen reports.

More at http://www.theuptake.org.

[url=http://www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnmccain.com/]http://www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnmccain.com/[/

Edited by Lt_Ripley

I wouldn't say the majority like him when he gets treated as a golden boy for singing ( which is why most call him songbird) when others who were treated as badly and complied with communist propaganda making as he did get brought up for treason.

Your blind hatred for the uniform gives you inability to see he was the one they wanted talking, not the others but him as the son of a major commander. He went through hell regardless for his men and his country and all you do is spit on that. How can a good American not be disgusted by that?

Not to mention it was said at the RNC (I believe by Fred Thompson) that McCain being a POW didn't qualify him to be President. It's the fact he's had that experience first hand, to better understand a soldier's place in this military, and MUCH better to be commander-in-chief over such circumstances.

If the logic is that being a former POW makes McCain some sort of foreign policy guru who's ready to command all of our armed forces, then I suppose Obama's community organizing experience makes him one of the country's foremost experts on almost every aspect of domestic policy.

I have 2 family members back from Iraq and one soon to be leaving for Afghanistan. My uncle is a Vietnam vet . All are voting for Obama. It isn't the president that runs the military. Bush isn't/wasn't smart enough to fly a plane( he became suddenly afraid to fly) let alone make military decisions. McCain graduated at the bottom of his class , has no control of his temper , has shown he doesn't really understand what's going on in the middle east , makes rash decisions and has been at odds with Vets for years.

I'd rather have great military leaders and solid honest intell without an administration twisting it and a level headed smart sane temper controlled person in office. that isn't McCain.

I just don't fully understand how people can feel this way. I notice you made no mention on my argument he at least has experience. You need experience with ANYTHING. No one gets hired for any job with inadequate experience. I'm not saying Obama doesn't have the potential to be a good leader, and likewise, McCain isn't necessarily going to be the best president in history if he wins.

But I do not like Obama's take on the war or on military spending. He upset so many troops on his trip to Germany, in so many ways. He doesn't give the military the respect or care it deserves. Now don't get me wrong, I have not before or now been fully supportive of all aspects of this war. But what's done is done, and what's happening is happening, and my family is being affected by it. I want someone that I know cares about what grade of gear my brother has for defense, how well he will eat, how reliable his weapons are. Obama rarely acts like he gives a crap about any of those things, and quite frankly, that scares me.

And don't get me started on the abortion thing. That's above his pay grade? PLEASE.

Edited by Ambriel

Your blind hatred for the uniform gives you inability to see he was the one they wanted talking, not the others but him as the son of a major commander. He went through hell regardless for his men and his country and all you do is spit on that. How can a good American not be disgusted by that?

Rip is trying to win an election. :rofl:

If the logic is that being a former POW makes McCain some sort of foreign policy guru who's ready to command all of our armed forces, then I suppose Obama's community organizing experience makes him one of the country's foremost experts on almost every aspect of domestic policy.

Sorry, but you are putting words in my mouth. I never said it made him a foreign policy guru. Does it give him a better understanding of military than Obama? Absolutely.

If all former POWs were backing McCain, I'm sure we'd be hearing how those old senile guys must have been brain washed in North VietNam and should simply be ignored. The are American men, real heroes who lived through situations most of us would never have made it through. They're real people and have more than won the right to have and voice whatever opinion they have... no matter how wrong it is.

lmao. My blind hatred ? a good portion of my family is military . 2 of my girlfriends were .

so they only wanted McCain ? that's why they used all 3 ? it was America that treated McCain like a hero for passing off propaganda for 3 years while treating those 2 grunts WHO WENT THROUGH THE SAME THING were treated like crap and threatened them with treason !!

anyone who keeps a POW is disgusting. (hint...... all those we've kept for years with no charges.) The fact that he got special treatment while others didn't and claims to have had it hard in comparison is what is disgusting.

I think the one who needs to check their hatred is you ... where the truth is concerned.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

lmao. My blind hatred ? a good portion of my family is military . 2 of my girlfriends were .

so they only wanted McCain ? that's why they used all 3 ? it was America that treated McCain like a hero for passing off propaganda for 3 years while treating those 2 grunts WHO WENT THROUGH THE SAME THING were treated like crap and threatened them with treason !!

anyone who keeps a POW is disgusting. (hint...... all those we've kept for years with no charges.) The fact that he got special treatment while others didn't and claims to have had it hard in comparison is what is disgusting.

I think the one who needs to check their hatred is you ... where the truth is concerned.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those aren't POWs! They were not part of a national military force, they are detained because they weretrying to kill our service men and would go right back to doing so if we released them.

I just don't fully understand how people can feel this way. I notice you made no mention on my argument he at least has experience. You need experience with ANYTHING. No one gets hired for any job with inadequate experience. I'm not saying Obama doesn't have the potential to be a good leader, and likewise, McCain isn't necessarily going to be the best president in history if he wins.

But I do not like Obama's take on the war or on military spending. He upset so many troops on his trip to Germany, in so many ways. He doesn't give the military the respect or care it deserves. Now don't get me wrong, I have not before or now been fully supportive of all aspects of this war. But what's done is done, and what's happening is happening, and my family is being affected by it. I want someone that I know cares about what grade of gear my brother has for defense, how well he will eat, how reliable his weapons are. Obama rarely acts like he gives a crap about any of those things, and quite frankly, that scares me.

And don't get me started on the abortion thing. That's above his pay grade? PLEASE.

He doesn't care for the troops ? who was it that sent them there without body armor ? or that cut their care once they were home ? Seems McCain doesn't care about the MIA/POW's and Vietnam . ask their families whom he's actually been an Azz too.

He upset troops on his trip to Germany ? Gee most on the base of my neices husband said most didn't care. The fact is troops and diplomats were not allowed to go see him speak !

as for him not seeing the troops ?

Although the Illinois senator visited troops in Afghanistan and Iraq on the first part of his overseas trip, those stops were part of an official Congressional delegation, and therefore deemed apolitical. The European tour, which included a speech in Berlin last night before an enthusiastic crowd of 200,000, is funded by the campaign and as such is not official government business.

"Senator Obama had hoped to and had every intention of visiting our troops to express his appreciation and gratitude for their service to our country," retired Air Force Major General Scott Gration, an Obama adviser, said in a statement.

"We learned from the Pentagon [Wednesday] night that the visit would be viewed instead as a campaign event. Senator Obama did not want to have a trip to see our wounded warriors perceived as a campaign event ... and decided instead not to go."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2...obama_in_g.html

as for military spending ? we're bloated. Maybe if there had been better administration billions wouldn't be missing in Iraq ( 8 billion alone in one swoop ) stop the 1500 dollar toilet seat thinking.

With the volume of your anti-military posts, it's not hard to come to that conclusion.

Yes, I hate the truth because I'm not fond of you posting silly hate posts regarding a former POW of this country. How bloody foolish.

I'll back McCain's use of his military service in helping define his character, just as I backed John Kerry's during the Swift Boat attacks.

With the volume of your anti-military posts, it's not hard to come to that conclusion.

Yes, I hate the truth because I'm not fond of you posting silly hate posts regarding a former POW of this country. How bloody foolish.

he was one POW out of many ! he got treated like a hero and the rest spit on !! those who were treated EXACTLY the same and worse who sold out to the commies like he did got called up on treason while McCain got treated like a hero !

how screwed up is that ?

he was one POW out of many ! he got treated like a hero and the rest spit on !! those who were treated EXACTLY the same and worse who sold out to the commies like he did got called up on treason while McCain got treated like a hero !

how screwed up is that ?

And that's not right either. But as you can see from my link that you've nicely ignored here, the majority of those guys like and respect him. You're basically telling me that they're wrong and you're right. But you're not trashing on POW's or facts of McCain's years of torture and service to this country.

This doesn't even have anything to do with the election but the fact you're attacking a man who went through pure hell that not a one of us can picture for his men and his country. It's low and shameful.

how screwed up is that ?

No one is saying it isn't screwed up, but screwed up or not, it wasn't McCain's fault.

5 minutes into Mccain's acceptance speech last night.

linked-image linked-image

MCCAIN HECKLER DETAINED, HANDCUFFED, AND RELEASED OUTSIDE EXCEL CENTER. | Main

INTERVIEW WITH MCCAIN HECKLER ADAM KOKESH.

Kokesh, a passionate Ron Paul supporter, is 26 and a member of Iraq Veterans Against the War. He served in Fallujah in 2004, grew up in Santa Fe, and currently lives in Washington, D.C. He has a website.

At the beginning of McCain's speech, Kokesh held up a sign reading, "McCain Votes Against Vets" and yelled, "Ask him why he votes against vets!" I followed as Kokesh was escorted out of the Excel Center by security, handcuffed by local police, and then briefly questioned while security debated whether or not the Secret Service would get involved. They did not. He was then escorted off the premises and allowed to go free. I interviewed him just outside the security gates, where he was greeted happily by antiwar protesters.

Why were you here in the Twin Cities? And how did you get into the Excel Center?

I was here in Minneapolis for the IVAW convention and thought I’d stick around for this.

Well I’ve been a Ron Paul supporter since the beginning of this campaign. Since before this campaign started, actually, I’ve been a fan of Paul. So I’ve got a lot of friends in the Ron Paul crowd. And he’s got a lot of delegates in there. More than the Republican Party is willing to admit. And the fact that I got into there is proof of that. One of Paul’s alternate delegates got me a guest pass.

Were you surprised to be handcuffed? Or are you just relieved you were not arrested or detained longer?

I was actually expecting to get manhandled much sooner. [During the heckling], someone was grabbing my belt and pulling on me. And then someone pulled the sign out of my hands.

Do you feel your protest was effective?

Well I wasn’t so much trying to interrupt the speech as make the point that McCain has a horrible voting record on veterans. What the Republican Party is doing with their take on the war in Iraq is spinning it in such a way that it’s about victory or defeat. But they can’t face up to the fact that you can’t win an occupation. In an occupation, everybody loses. What we’re calling for is an immediate withdrawal of all occupying forces in Iraq.

Who will you vote for in November?

Bob Barr.

--Dana Goldstein

Posted by Dana Goldstein on September 4, 2008 10:50 PM | http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/tapped_..._mccain_heckler

Edited by acidhead43

I don't understand why everyone is having such a hard time understanding Ripleys posts

Are you new on the forum? You don't seem to know much about Rip and his hobby.