Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Her deadly wolf program

__Kratos__

Sept. 8, 2008 | Wildlife activists thought they had seen the worst in 2003 when Frank Murkowski, then the Republican governor of Alaska, signed a bill ramping up state programs to gun down wild wolves from airplanes, inviting average citizens to participate. Wolves, Murkowski believed, were clearly better than humans at killing elk and moose, and humans needed to even the playing field.

But that was before Sarah Palin took Murkowski's job at the end of 2006. She went one step, or paw, further. Palin didn't think Alaskans should be allowed to chase wolves from aircraft and shoot them -- they should be encouraged to do so. Palin's administration put a bounty on wolves' heads, or to be more precise, on their mitts.

In early 2007, Palin's administration approved an initiative to pay a $150 bounty to hunters who killed a wolf from an airplane in certain areas, hacked off the left foreleg, and brought in the appendage. Ruling that the Palin administration didn't have the authority to offer payments, a state judge quickly put a halt to them but not to the shooting of wolves from aircraft.

Detractors consider the airborne shootings a savage business, conducted under the euphemism "predator control." The airplanes appear in the winter, so the wolves show up like targets in a video game, sprinting across the white canvas below. Critics believe the practice violates the ethics of hunting, while supporters say the process is not hunting at all, but a deliberate cull.

Palin has argued that she is worried about Alaska's hunters, locked in perennial competition with the canine carnivores for the state's prodigious ungulate population. A hunter herself, Palin has battled critics of aerial wolf hunting with the support of the Alaska Outdoor Council, a powerhouse advocacy and lobbying organization for hunting, fishing and recreation groups. In addition to so-called urban hunters, who shoot moose mostly for fun, Alaska is home to a significant number of subsistence hunters, including some of the Native population. Subsistence hunters rely on an occasional moose to make ends meet. The wolves, Palin has said, are stealing food from their tables.

"Palin acts like she has never met an animal she didn't want shot," says Priscilla Feral, president of Friends of Animals, based in Connecticut.

The controversy over Palin's promotion of predator control goes beyond animal rights activists recoiling at the thought of picking off wolves from airplanes. A raft of scientists has argued that Palin has provided little evidence that the current program of systematically killing wolves, estimated at a population of 7,000 to 11,000, will result in more moose for hunters. State estimates of moose populations have come under scrutiny. Some wildlife biologists say predator control advocates don't even understand what wolves eat.

More of the article here: Link

----------------------------------------------

Pretty brutal and utterly pointless slaughter. :no:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InHuman

• SilverCougar

• MasterPo

• Plainbob13

Top Posters In This Topic

-.-

Yeah... this is just one of the many things I'm not to fond of Palin for.

If Palin and the other hunters must kill for FOOD (which I HIGHLY doubt) then I understand their worries.

But mabey its not that theres too many wolves, but too many people...

If Palin and the other hunters must kill for FOOD (which I HIGHLY doubt) then I understand their worries.

Where do you think the meat in that Mig Mac you had for lunch came from?

It's made of wild caribou?

I had chocolate ice cream for lunch.

However, there is a huge difference between this comparison you're making. They get their "big mack meat" from the same places every McDonalds do. Raised cattle down in the lower 48. Not wild deer/carribu up in Alaska. There's no reason to slaughter wolves just because they hunt animals that is their *main* food source. It's not like the wolves can go to the local super market like humans...

I had chocolate ice cream for lunch.

However, there is a huge difference between this comparison you're making. They get their "big mack meat" from the same places every McDonalds do. Raised cattle down in the lower 48. Not wild deer/carribu up in Alaska. There's no reason to slaughter wolves just because they hunt animals that is their *main* food source. It's not like the wolves can go to the local super market like humans...

Hmmm.... lets release some cow herds into alaska... that might solve the problem....

then if that dosn't work, mabey some new wooly pig species... I'm sure the wolves will give up the caribou for bacon....

But mabey its not that theres too many wolves, but too many people...

I am in complete agreement with this.

As for the article in the original post; What a vile Woman. I know that sounds harsh, but those are my feelings. Didn't like her from the instant I saw her, the the sound of her spine wounding voice sealed the deal, along with those wry smirks.

I am not against hunting by any means if people are responsible and law abiding and don't waste their kill. I live close to area's that have Cougars and we occasionally have encounters with them and Elk, Moose, Coyotes and Bears, in fact, a heard of deer live & roam in this part of town, literally a mile from our mall, freeway and main shopping area of town. I personally love venison, I fish, but I have never hunted, but I would to fill my freezer.

But Wolves. Wow. Just like the Cougar up here, we are encroaching on their homes/territory and diminishing their hunting grounds, not the other way around.

Hmmm.... lets release some cow herds into alaska... that might solve the problem....

then if that dosn't work, mabey some new wooly pig species... I'm sure the wolves will give up the caribou for bacon....

Actually.. there was a report just out (I'll have to look it up) that showed that during the fall months, wolves loved to nom on salmon more then deer and carribu since salmon has a greater fat content and such. They'll go after deer and carribu when Salmon season is over.

What.. does this have to do with putting a bounty on wolve's head for idiotic reasons?

They have bounties on coyote's in La.,Ms, and other states. Not that big of a deal.

But other state does not have a Sarah Palin, so the wolf in alaska now is a big deal.

If Obama wins then that will be it for the concern for alaskan wolf, you can machine gun the alaskan wolf and same people here so concern now won't give a hoot anymore. :tu:

Edited by AROCES

But other state does not have a Sarah Palin, so the wolf in alaska now is a big deal.

If Obama wins then that will be it for the concern for alaskan wolf, you can machine gun them and same people here so concern now won't give a hoot anymore. :tu:

Very true. Anything to demonize her.

Actually.. THose of us who are apauled by this are also appauled by the Wyoming or rather ANY govenor who issues the same with any wolf population. So yeah.. it's just another govener showing that they have not one clue about natural balance.. *shrugs* You can whitewash it as "Palin haters!" all you want.. but it's not just her.

Hells I "demonize" (since that seems to be a lovely word to just toss around) any govenor/mayor/program that allows suvch hunting of any land preditors. Yotes, Wolves, Cougars, Bears.. Half the issues we have with deer overpopulation is *because* we kill off their natural preditors. Palin just proved herself to just be another politician who doesn't have a damned clue.

Edited by SilverCougar

Actually.. THose of us who are apauled by this are also appauled by the Wyoming governer who issues the same with the wolf population there. So yeah.. it's just another govener showing that they have not one clue about natural balance.. *shrugs* You can whitewash it as "Palin haters!" all you want.. but it's not just her.

Really. Funny you only bring her into it. "Her deadly wolf program." I don't see governers deadly wolf program.

Edited by Plainbob13

Actually.. THose of us who are apauled by this are also appauled by the Wyoming governer who issues the same with the wolf population there. So yeah.. it's just another govener showing that they have not one clue about natural balance.. *shrugs* You can whitewash it as "Palin haters!" all you want.. but it's not just her.

Yeah right!

Even the alaskan wolves knows it's all about Palin and not them. :D

They have bounties on coyote's in La.,Ms, and other states. Not that big of a deal.

If it wasn't for the wolf they'd be after her for killing bacteria when she boils water for coffee! :D

Wow guys.

She isn't that important, this isn't about her. It's about people (humans) once again overstepping their bounds.

Wow guys.

She isn't that important, this isn't about her. It's about people (humans) once again overstepping their bounds.

OK. Then why the "HER DEADLY WOLF PLAN?" Why not peoples deadly wolf plan?

OK. Then why the "HER DEADLY WOLF PLAN?" Why not peoples deadly wolf plan?

This is in the Election Subforum, obviously this thread was to give people more information on her policies.

It could have been any other governor, but to be in this subforum, it shuold be someoen whos running..