Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Large Hadron Collider is activated

UM-Bot

If the particles are traveling at almost the speed of light, why does it take 30 days to see a collision?

On a cable channel the other night, a scientist gave a comparison; it would be easier to have two guns shoot toward each other, one from the earth and the other from our moon and the bullets collide than for the particles to collide. That may be why they say it will take thirty days to see a collision.

well they should not play with gods world here

the scientists are not god

we need to do something about it!

we are not helpess and we can stop it. they have no right to just because they have money and are big shot scientists

what we need to do is organize and network. is anyone here good at making websites? or creating another forum specifically for people who want to stop this and make them turn it off

???

because we will need to gather thousands or petition. find ideas. get connections to plitician

the scientists are merely humans\

and humans arent perfect and make mistakes. science isnt perfect and they are faithless people meaning they are dangerous because their stupidity and failure to know there is a higher power than man

we need to do something. again they are only people who have no authority over the rest of the world and what we have to say

This whole thing would make a great science fiction story. The whole world gets sucked into a black hole, but instead of being destroyed we're simply sucked into another parallel universe. And suddenly were in a different solar system with other alien races. COOL.

So how long would it take the world to be sucked into a black hole? Would it be instantanious or would it take a couple of weeks while we all ran around screaming?

Could someone explain this thing in baby speak to those of us idiots who have no clue. Sounds like the death star to me?

The LHC Rap.

The Hawking Rap part is funny.

:lol:

Edited by psyche101

I am scared. Hawking only hopes is that his equations are right. I see this as a step up for Mankind.

But he is not particle physicist - his interests are in theoretical biochemistry and chemistry. So Hawkings and other particle physicists are more reliable in this case.

He bases his protests on Max Abraham's 1912 theories. The majority of experts in these fields dismissed his claims as substantial misconceptions of the general theory of relativity, as well as being inconsistent and disproved through measurement experiments. He also questions the existance of Hawking radiation.

Max Abraham's Wiki Entry.

Abraham developed his theory of the electron in 1902, in which he hypothesized that the electron was a perfect sphere with a charge divided evenly around its surface. Hendrik Lorentz (1899, 1904) and Albert Einstein (1905) developed a different theory which became more widely accepted; nevertheless, Abraham never gave up believing that his views were correct, since in his eyes they were based on "common sense".

Like you say, he is not a particle physicist.

I am scared. Hawking only hopes is that his equations are right. I see this as a step up for Mankind.

Hawking's guesses are probably more accurate then most people's certainties with regards to particle physics.

But what if there's nothing special outcome after the collision? e.g. particles just bouncing around after being smashed. It's gonna upset lots of people, eh?

Well, it didnt create a black hole when it was fired up this morning...we will have to see what happens when they actually collide some protons. Coincidentally at the same time they fired up the collider this morning my cats started running laps around the bedroom like 2 tasmanian devils, just out of the blue...I dont think they hit near the speed of light, but they were fast enough to be able to bounce off walls...

I have my own Small Catron Collider.

Its a lot cheaper and funnier to watch than the Hadron.

LOL you know my cat was going off last night just crying very restless at 6pm AEST which is when the collider started. I told him its not the end of the world fed him and he was happy and content

besides, imploding is not such a bad thing, at least we will all die quickly

DO we? :hmm:

Didnt that happen with einstein

linked-imageScientists have switched on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the device they hope will unravel some of the remaining mysteries of the universe. At 9.30 am local time (8.30 am British Summer Time), 300 feet below the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva, the most powerful particle accelerator ever built became fully operational. The team was holding its breath in the countdown to the switch-on after a series of technical hitches, including problems with the cooling system. The £5 billion machine has been described as a 17-mile racetrack around which two streams of protons - building blocks of matter - run in opposite directions before smashing into one another. Reaching 99.99 per cent of the speed of light, each beam will pack as much energy as a Eurostar train travelling at 90 mph. The flashes from the collisions may help scientists reproduce the conditions that existed during the first moments after the Big Bang at the birth of the universe. Physicists hope to learn more about the origins of mass, gravity and mysterious dark matter. But concerns have been voiced - in particular by the German chemist Professor Otto Rossler - that black holes created by the LHC will grow uncontrollably and “eat the planet from the inside”. These claims have been dismissed by leading scientists, including Prof Stephen Hawking of Cambridge University who said that the LHC is “feeble compared with what goes on in the universe.

If a disaster was going to happen, it would have happened already.” The switch-on saw the first stream of subatomic particles - known as Hadrons - circulating in the tunnel. The first collisions are expected in around 30 days. The LHC will produce beams seven times more energetic than any previous machine, and around 30 times more intense when it reaches its design performance, probably by 2010.

linked-image View: Full Article | Source: The Telegraph

Aren't we kinda playing "God" here?

No no no! All you people out there who are like:

"this is fantastic imagine our worldy possibilities of this magnificent experiment!"

Are just ****heads.

The circuitlatory was never the "doomsday" problem its self it was the protons colliding,We're not out of this yet....

It can end in disaster but i find it will likely be 2 ways this project can go.

1. nothing happens

2.microscopic debris is formed.

The idea of a black hole is a little out there because to create a huge massed BH you need 10000000 tones of matter about the size of a tespoon and a falling star. This MBH has small mass and even it it gets bigger in size you can evaporate it using the hawking solution.There is a 1 out of 500,000,000,000 that even a micro black hole appears.

and yes ValkyrieVoice we are playing god and just because they're scientists doesn't mean they can't **** up...

Edited by ziggy455

Aren't we kinda playing "God" here?

Uhh if God is a scientist trying to figure out what caused the Big Bang then yes, but all other definitions of 'playing god' don't apply. Technically treating our injuries and illnesses is playing god and nobody has a problem with doing that.

No no no! All you people out there who are like:

"this is fantastic imagine our worldy possibilities of this magnificent experiment!"

Are just ****heads.

The circuitlatory was never the "doomsday" problem its self it was the protons colliding,We're not out of this yet....

It can end in disaster but i find it will likely be 2 ways this project can go.

1. nothing happens

The idea of a black hole is a little out there because to create a huge massed BH you need 10000000 tones of matter about the size of a tespoon and a falling star. This MBH has small mass and even it it gets bigger in size you can evaporate it using the hawking solution.There is a 1 out of 500,000,000,000 that even a micro black hole appears.

and yes ValkyrieVoice we are playing god and just because they're scientists doesn't mean they can't **** up...

Thanks for that, our minds might be on the verge of being blown and all you can do is act negatively. I think the naysayers want something to go wrong so they can say, "see, I told you so you stupid scientists."

After the protons collide , Matter is converted to heat and light are released. What do you call whats left?

And on another note, some have it that at the instant of the Big Bang , Space and Time were created and started to expand (possibly faster than the speed of light). So will the collider make it,s own space, time allowing people to understand the true nature of Mass verses Gravity? If so, is this not a good thing?

And on another note, some have it that at the instant of the Big Bang , Space and Time were created and started to expand (possibly faster than the speed of light). So will the collider make it,s own space, time allowing people to understand the true nature of Mass verses Gravity? If so, is this not a good thing?

It's not a good thing if it did create it's own little universe.... what would they do if that started expanding like our own??? Flick a switch and turn the thing off? Would that work? Would that stop whats already been done?

The main problem is that Scientists are doing something that they can only guess about. They have no idea what is going to happen. And IF something bad did happen, then would it be too late to reverse or stop what ever damage was done?

They don't know how exactly how space/universe, time and black holes actually work, so then how will they know how to stop it once it's been done?!?

intresting i saw on the news last night that over in the eastern states of australia a group or more of people was haveing an end of times party of some kind , as they beleaved the earth was going to end when they switched this massive machine on , well its the second time that people got carried away and as like before they all got disapionted as the earth dident end like these gullible beleavers thought it was , even though i cant excatly remmeber what the first time was about , but when they start throwing end time parties or other it turned out to be we are still alive , it makes ya wonder whos right and whos wrong and for those who were proven wrong, then would they ever admit there mistakes when they got carried away and suckering others into there twisted beleafs that the earth was gona end .

It's not a good thing if it did create it's own little universe.... what would they do if that started expanding like our own??? Flick a switch and turn the thing off? Would that work? Would that stop whats already been done?

The main problem is that Scientists are doing something that they can only guess about. They have no idea what is going to happen. And IF something bad did happen, then would it be too late to reverse or stop what ever damage was done?

They don't know how exactly how space/universe, time and black holes actually work, so then how will they know how to stop it once it's been done?!?

The universe initially expanded in the big bang because of a massive discharge of energy ie an explosion. This explosion caused the unimaginable amount of mass that was present, to spread out. So if you collide two microscopic protons together you will get a yield of similar mass that spreads out, and likely you won't even be able to see the debris (if there is any) that is left over. They aren't making a "big bang" they are making a "smallest bang to ever happen". :tu:

Luckily help is now available for thous in need! post-9259-1221120833.gif

post-9259-1221120737_thumb.jpg

lol If the world was going to end then my health would be the last thing on my mind :lol:

The LHC is NOT recreating the Big Bang. What the LHC is trying to do is to create energy densities which existed during the first few micro/milliseconds after the Bang. At these energy levels, we hope to see massive, energetic particles which only exist at these levels, i.e. the Higgs boson and supersymetric particle partners.

The energy levels reached will be FAR below those at the time of the actual Bang. In Big Bang terms, a millisecond is a fair piece of eternity.

You realize that there is no reason in doing experiments if you 'factually know the outcome' of them?

Yes I understand that, and touche for catching my wording.

What I'm getting at, is Hawking is claiming there's no possible way a black hole could be created and possibly get out of control, to the point the worry about its effects are considerable.

I say, that because there is no factual evidence on what creates a black hole, that if they were to forcefully create one how could he possibly know it could not grow to a size or strength where danger is a possibility?

That's more of what I was getting at...

why are we sitting here?

why are we not in switzlerand surrounding the cern factory and demanding they end this?

we need to do something

we cant sit here and do nothing because we feel helpless and thats hoe its goes and those scietnists have money and already have permission to do this

this is our say weather they continue or not. its our world not those stupid cern peoples world. they dodnt believe in god and i think they are aq little crazy for messing with this and looking for extra dimensions and pretending to be god

we wont even clone a person because its against the bible and we will go and do this where we dont know what will happen. the truth is no scientist ever knows what will happen, they can guess

just like doctors. they dont know how surgery will be. they tell the patient theres a 85% sucess rate but they screw up

we wont even do stem cell research because some fear it may kill a fetus but we can go conduct an experiment that might alter the universe or even destroy it. but think its safe because scientists think it is but arent 100% sure

they said the idea that it could be negatuve is "nonsense maybe even silly"

who uses the word nonsense or silly when playing with something so severe that id had something to do with creating our universe and may put people in danger

why are we sitting here?

why are we not in switzlerand surrounding the cern factory and demanding they end this?

we need to do something

we cant sit here and do nothing because we feel helpless and thats hoe its goes and those scietnists have money and already have permission to do this

this is our say weather they continue or not. its our world not those stupid cern peoples world. they dodnt believe in god and i think they are aq little crazy for messing with this and looking for extra dimensions and pretending to be god

we wont even clone a person because its against the bible and we will go and do this where we dont know what will happen. the truth is no scientist ever knows what will happen, they can guess

just like doctors. they dont know how surgery will be. they tell the patient theres a 85% sucess rate but they screw up

we wont even do stem cell research because some fear it may kill a fetus but we can go conduct an experiment that might alter the universe or even destroy it. but think its safe because scientists think it is but arent 100% sure

who uses the word nonsense or silly when playing with something so severe that id had something to do with creating our universe and may put people in danger

I mean no disrespect, but exactly who are you talking about when you say "we" and "our"? I'm not sure where you're from, as your location is not listed, but you'd probably have a better chance of talking your government into going to war over it than rallying a group of average "we's" and "us's" together to stand against the testing. If you want me to be perfectly honest with you, I wonder how much you've paid attention to this thread? Most people WANT this experiment to happen. And those who don't, do not have the authority to just barge in and stop it. There are plenty an atheist in the world that believe churches and religion do the same injustice to humankind, as is your comparison.

I guess I'm just saying, I understand what you're saying. I don't necessarily agree with you, I have my own hesitations for very different reasons. Does this mean I'm not just a little bit intrigued? Not at all, I'm absolutely curious about what is going to happen. And so are many other people. Against God or not, it's going to take a lot more than you to try and take down an experiment such as this. And most people want to know.

why are we sitting here?

Stop being a drama queen.

We dont even know if God is real, and I am sure that if there was a God and it did not like this, it would do something about it and not need a lackey to do it.

we wont even clone a person because its against the bible.

Are you serious?

No not because of the bible, that is meaningless.

What?

We do do stem cell research as far as I know. And the collider cannot destroy the universe! How old are you?

It is people like you who would keep everybody back in stone caves and mud huts.