Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Large Hadron Collider is activated

110 posts in this topic

chaoszerg
Now who you going to call?

GHOSTBUSTERS!!!......oh wait..no not them :blink:

Princess Serenity
web cam of Hardon Collider :w00t:

linky here

I saw that last night.

*Hides behind Jesspy.* Scared the crap out of me. >.>

That can't be real.

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:
web cam of Hardon Collider :w00t:

linky here

Haha! Oh no!!!! :o

missmaster

Just for clarification purposes, I do know a little about physics, I don't believe in God (a higher power, yes, but not God) and damn that pic of David Bowie in Labyrinth is a classic! Yummy!

I'm all for scientific progress, especially when it comes to a possible melding of scientific theory and 'spiritual' beliefs.

However, the LHC is, in my humble opinion, teetering precariously on the edge of a 'no-go area' for humans.

To me, this is, like I originally said, dabbling in the unknown. Unjustifiably.

It's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on testing theories when there are much greater problems to be solved right here on our own home ground, ie Earth.

I'm no 'doomsayer', if that's even a word outside the US, but I don't fully support the LHC either.

I have to admit to feeling sadistically drawn to the program and its possible discoveries but my 'soul', if you like, is telling me this is very wrong, and will ultimately create far more problems than it solves.

badeskov
Just for clarification purposes, I do know a little about physics, I don't believe in God (a higher power, yes, but not God) and damn that pic of David Bowie in Labyrinth is a classic! Yummy!

I'm all for scientific progress, especially when it comes to a possible melding of scientific theory and 'spiritual' beliefs.

However, the LHC is, in my humble opinion, teetering precariously on the edge of a 'no-go area' for humans.

To me, this is, like I originally said, dabbling in the unknown. Unjustifiably.

All science is about the unknown. But the LHC is far from dabbling anywhere near to anything remotely dangerous.

It's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on testing theories when there are much greater problems to be solved right here on our own home ground, ie Earth.

I would respectfully disagree. Such is inevitable given the need for continued progression. And hopefully the results will yield advanced in many different fields.

I have to admit to feeling sadistically drawn to the program and its possible discoveries but my 'soul', if you like, is telling me this is very wrong, and will ultimately create far more problems than it solves.

It will not solve problems as such, it will advance science.

Cheers,

Badeskov

jesspy
GHOSTBUSTERS!!!......oh wait..no not them :blink:

:( that means there is no one to call... we could call the Myth Busters

I saw that last night.

*Hides behind Jesspy.* Scared the crap out of me. >.>

That can't be real.

lol you wouldnt want to hide behind me my butt does the same thing sometimes

Princess Serenity
lol you wouldnt want to hide behind me my butt does the same thing sometimes

:lol:

Thanks for the advice, Jesspy.

Blizno

A girl in India killed herself after hearing nonsense like we've been reading here. link

She listened to people shouting and screaming who have not the slightest idea what they're talking about. The ranting of fools cost her life.

AlexG
A girl in India killed herself after hearing nonsense like we've been reading here. link

She listened to people shouting and screaming who have not the slightest idea what they're talking about. The ranting of fools cost her life.

There are more of the oddest superstitions rampant in India than anywhere else on earth.

Blizno

This is a tiresome false argument. If no money had been spent on the LHC, those much greater problems would still be here. The money would get sucked up by another tax cut for the rich or by paying for a few hours of the Iraq war.

It is a false dichotomy to say that we can either fund big research or we can solve world hunger, but not both. Of course we can do both.

Also, where do you think the money went? Did it get burned up? No, the money went into the pockets of lots of workers and businesses. The money is still here, on Earth. It is still being spent, on food, rent, equipment, cars, etc. etc.