Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

GOP Womens Group boycotts Oprah

Nxt2Hvn

GOP Women’s Group Boycotts ‘Oprah’ For Refusing to Book Palin

The Florida Federation of Republican Women has launched a boycott against Oprah Winfrey’s TV show and magazine because the talk queen has said she will not have Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin on her show until after the election.

Democrat Barack Obama — whom Winfrey is supporting for president — was on “Oprah” twice before he announced his run for president, in January 2005 and in October 2006. Winfrey has said she will have neither party’s candidates on her show while they are running for their respective offices.

But the 58-year-old federation, which has 4,500 members, says Winfrey should have Palin on her show now, given how important the Alaska governor’s run is for women.

“She is an icon, and set her herself up to be such a women’s rights and women’s issues person. To have the first vice president of our lifetime on the Republican ticket being a woman and to sit it out regardless of what her personal political beliefs were was disingenuous, we felt,” the group’s First Vice President Cindy Graves told “FOX & Friends” on Wednesday morning.

Graves, 50, says she used to watch “Oprah” and occasionally bought her magazine. She told FOXNews.com that the group has been joined by women all over the country since launching the boycott last Saturday.

“People from Southern California, Tennessee, Texas, Colorado, Rhode Island, just about every state in the union. We’ve also had a tremendous response from Democrats and Independents who are supporting McCain, and Hillary supporters,” she said.

Asked whether the boycott is affecting Oprah’s TV ratings and magazine subscriptions, Graves said Winfrey is “keeping that quiet.”

A call to Oprah’s company, Harpo Productions, for comment was not immediately returned.

Winfrey reacted strongly on Friday to a report posted on the Drudge Report that she and “a couple of her top people are adamantly” against booking Palin on her show.

“The item in today’s Drudge Report is categorically untrue,” Winfrey said in a statement sent to news organizations in reaction to the Drudge Report’s posting. “There has been absolutely no discussion about having Sarah Palin on my show. At the beginning of this presidential campaign when I decided that I was going to take my first public stance in support of a candidate, I made the decision not to use my show as a platform for any of the candidates. I agree that Sarah Palin would be a fantastic interview, and I would love to have her on after the campaign is over.”

Before Obama became a candidate, Winfrey used her show to introduce him to America’s women voters, and she has endorsed and campaigned with the Democratic nominee. She also was very visible at Obama’s nomination acceptance speech in Denver last month.

Winfrey and her executive producer, Sheri Salata, both donated the maximum $2,300 contribution to Obama’s campaign during the primary season.

According to the Drudge Report, Winfrey’s staff is sharply divided on booking Palin.

“Half of her staff really wants Sarah Palin on,” an unidentified source told Drudge. “Oprah’s Web site is getting tons of requests to put her on, but Oprah and a couple of her top people are adamantly against it because of Obama.”

SOURCE / Link

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nxt2Hvn

• pendora

• SilverCougar

• goalienan

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I will laugh if Opra caves to this. Though I find it funny already that people are boycotting her. It's Opra.. who cares?

I find it very "egotistical" of Oprah to think she has that much influence on people just because "she" endorses Obama. And the GOP Women's Group is only giving her the power by boycotting her.... like she is that important.

Now this I think is silly of the GOP! Immature even!

That's awesome!

The gop women have every right to make their opnions known, by boycott or rally or protest...whatever the means.

Oprah exercised her rights by not inviting Palin.

(and I LOVE how this is still about a mere vp candidate. If she's to be equal, it would be mccain she'd have on....talk about off focus...gees...)

(and I LOVE how this is still about a mere vp candidate. If she's to be equal, it would be mccain she'd have on....talk about off focus...gees...)

Exactly .... Palin has Obama scared!!! LOL

Yeah...that's it.

ROFL!

Why else would Oprah be against her being on her show? Doesn't want to give Palin anymore attention than she is getting... which the way it's going .. she doesn't need Oprah or anybody else!

Why else would Oprah be against her being on her show? Doesn't want to give Palin anymore attention than she is getting... which the way it's going .. she doesn't need Oprah or anybody else!

Dear, one more time. It's her show. Obama is her friend.

Get it yet?

Dear, one more time. It's her show. Obama is her friend.

Get it yet?

Never said it wasn't her show and he's her friend ... whooptee!! I still have my opinions .. as I am sure you do! :tu: Sorry if mine heat you up!

Oh... and I am not your dear... don't even know you! ;)

I'm not "heated up" about anything on this board hon.

I'm amazed at how upset the right are getting in these threads about the candidates.

As I've said before, this election is probably one of the most entertaining in years.

:D

I'm not "heated up" about anything on this board hon.

I'm amazed at how upset the right are getting in these threads about the candidates.

As I've said before, this election is probably one of the most entertaining in years.

:D

Now I'm Hon?? LOL!!! Too cute!

And you haven't seen me upset one little bit! And yes I agree... very entertaining!!!

Can't wait for the next thread!

yer both freakin adorable.

Edited by SilverCougar

yer both freakin adorable.

Thanks ... (dare I say it?) ... Hon! :P

Edited by Nxt2Hvn

Thanks ... (dare I say it?) ... Hon! :P

*snerks*

No problem dear! =P

It's her show. She should be able to have on whoever she wants. The whole world knows that she's endorsed Obama so she should just come right out and say that she doesn't want Palin on because she doesn't want to help the McCain / Palin ticket.

Plus, I oppose the Fairness Doctrine. And this issue leans in that direction.

I think Oprah is a hypocrite for posturing herself as 'out there' on empowering ALL women, and then she pulls stuff liek this. BUT... It's Oprah's show and she can do with it what she wants.

We don't want that "Fairness Doctrine" nonsense forcing

She isn't likely to have a catholic bishop on

or a person who teaches creationism

or a person who endorses violence or torture

or the person who injects the death row inmates

She has on who she feels in alignment with...who she feels contributes to the earth's wellbeing

pfft, It's Oprah's World, we just live in it. :yes:

Shoot, I always thought it was *Elmo's World*...Bummer

She can endorse anyone she wants to, but sounds like by not having Palin on her show it backfired. I love that we're not seeing anybody cowtail to her.. ;)