Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ron Paul: US in Georgia for pipeline

acidhead

The full Tuesday September 9th 2008 Congressional Hearing can be watched here on C-Span( http://www.c-span.org/Recent/Default.aspx ) : Washington, DC : 4 hr. 4 min.

It is labeled as follows: note - Ron Paul speaks at 27:25 minute mark

House Foreign Affairs Cmte. Hearing on U.S.-Russia Relations

Rep. Howard Berman (D-CA) presides over a hearing on relations with Russia after Russia's conflict with Georgia. The Committee hears testimony on how previous U.S. relations with Georgia might have affected the conflict and post-conflict aid to Georgia.

Thu, 11 Sep 2008 01:02:14 GMT http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=69076...ctionid=3510203

US Congressman Ron Paul says the United States is in Georgia not for democracy but to protect an oil pipeline bypassing Russia.

“We are not for democracy there - we are there to protect a pipeline. And that is tragic for me,” he said.

The remarks came as the US Senate Committee on Armed Services held a hearing to cast Moscow as an aggressor in the 5-day conflict in the Caucasus region but a rift among the members hampered decision making.

Another US congressman has accused Georgia of triggering the conflict despite the Bush administration's taking side with Tbilisi.

“The recent fighting in Georgia and its breakaway region was started by Georgia. The Georgians broke the truce, not the Russians! And no talk of provocation can change that fact,” said Congressman Dana Rohrabacher.

Senator Hillary Clinton who attended the session said: “Rather than seeking to isolate them - which I think is not a smart proposal - we should be more strategic. We have to answer for ourselves: Did we embolden the Georgians in any way? Did we send mixed signals to the Russians?”

“For many months my colleagues and Secretary Rice had been telling the Georgians clearly and unequivocally that any military action initiated by them would be a mistake and would lead to a disaster,” Undersecretary of Defense Eric Edelman said during the hearing.

The US is backing the operation of the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline which pumps crude oil from the Caspian Sea to the Mediterranean via Georgia and without reliance on Russia.

Edited by acidhead43

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caesar

• BlindMessiah

• nickoli

• SoCrazes

Personally, I don't care.

We need oil.

Oil is the life blood of modern industry.

While I don't buy conspiracy theory that it's all about oil, wouldn't bother me much if that is one of the reasons.

Flame on.

Edited by MasterPo

Ron Paul still don't get it and never will.

What is the best way to protect commerce and trade? By getting rid or preventing rougue states or regimes, and you do that by promoting democracy.

What is the best way to protect commerce and trade? By getting rid or preventing rougue states or regimes, and you do that by promoting democracy.

Ron Paul, a man with millions of supporters and political experience, a congressman, a doctor, and an author, doesn't get it... but you do. Yay for you. You deserve a good round of applause.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ron Paul, a man with millions of supporters and political experience, a congressman, a doctor, and an author, doesn't get it... but you do. Yay for you. You deserve a good round of applause.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sure, he has accomplishments, but his ideas are not suited for him to lead the country.

For he does not get it.

Sure, he has accomplishments, but his ideas are not suited for him to lead the country.

For he does not get it.

He isn't going to lead the country. So you don't have to worry.

He isn't going to lead the country. So you don't have to worry.

Amen... it would be like the 1920s all over again.

Edited by Caesar

For he does not get it.

Actually he's the only one who does get it.

Everyone else just believes what mainstream media and politicians tells them and is too lazy/thick/brainwashed to do any research themselves

Amen... it would be like the 1920s all over again.

I love when people use quotes of people who disagree with them to aid their so called point. It's amusing.

I love when people use quotes of people who disagree with them to aid their so called point. It's amusing.

I'm glad he has no chance of being president. his views match those of the 1920's

http://digg.com/politics/Do_You_Even_Think...ricans_Ron_Paul

There's a better video of just Paul.

AROCES, don't be naive. We have supported more rogue and terrorist regimes than anybody else. Bid Laden, Suddam, the Sha all were products of the United States, which turned on us. Even today we support Mushariff in Pakistan, who is a military dictator who overthrew an elected official, and we, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, are sending them OUR tax dollars!!! A military dictator and this is nothing, this is our foreign policy! Today in IRAQ we are doing the same, arming thousands of radicals, who says they won't turn on us in the future, going by past indicators, they surely will! We prop up this puppet in this middle east nation, this one here, now this one here, all on their holly lands - their lands! No wonder they are mad! We would be too!

Ron Paul is the only man voicing these concerns, other than maybe Dennis Kucinich and the like. They want you to believe they are doing this, the excuse is, its to promote democracy! HAH! We don't even have democracy here in the United States! The media and establishment own everything, you can't even get on a ballet these days if you're not rich or social elite. Wake up!

Vote third party, just vote, and don't put down McCain or Obama. Both of them vote pro Patriot Act, pro FISA, and pro our current foreign Policy! These are the only two choices and we call this a democracy!!

I'm glad he has no chance of being president. his views match those of the 1920's

You quoted my post with an amen comment as if we were in agreement on your jubilation. I was simply stating the fact that he would never be president, not affirming your distaste for the man.

Actually he's the only one who does get it.

Everyone else just believes what mainstream media and politicians tells them and is too lazy/thick/brainwashed to do any research themselves

If everyone else believes the main stream media, Gore and Kerry would have been President.

As you can see it's not as you think it is.

Edited by AROCES

http://digg.com/politics/Do_You_Even_Think...ricans_Ron_Paul

AROCES, don't be naive. We have supported more rogue and terrorist regimes than anybody else. Bid Laden, Suddam, the Sha all were products of the United States, which turned on us.

More than anybody else? More than Russia or China?

Products of the United States? Or are they really who they are and we tried to influence them and simply failed?

As you can see we tried all avenues to deal with them and you still complain.

Even today we support Mushariff in Pakistan, who is a military dictator who overthrew an elected official, and we, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, are sending them OUR tax dollars!!! A military dictator and this is nothing, this is our foreign policy! Today in IRAQ we are doing the same, arming thousands of radicals, who says they won't turn on us in the future, going by past indicators, they surely will! We prop up this puppet in this middle east nation, this one here, now this one here, all on their holly lands - their lands! No wonder they are mad! We would be too!

So do you want to abandon Mushariff and just watch him align with Russia or China? Or do you wan tto keep influencing him that opens the possibility or a slow path to democracy?

Now you see what you and Ron Paul don't get?

Ron Paul is the only man voicing these concerns, other than maybe Dennis Kucinich and the like. They want you to believe they are doing this, the excuse is, its to promote democracy! HAH! We don't even have democracy here in the United States! The media and establishment own everything, you can't even get on a ballet these days if you're not rich or social elite. Wake up!

Vote third party, just vote, and don't put down McCain or Obama. Both of them vote pro Patriot Act, pro FISA, and pro our current foreign Policy! These are the only two choices and we call this a democracy!!

If Ron Paul becomes President , he will not do many of what he is saying now for then his actions will have consequences.

I dont think Musharref is president anymore, I believe Bhutto's husband was elected and Musharef is seeking asylum somewhere maybe here. I happen to like Ron Paul and may well write him in myself. I like his tax plan his isolationalism and his gold standard ideas,abolish the frb banking system and put the power back in the peoples hands where it should be.

Edited by nickoli

I dont think Musharref is president anymore, I believe Bhutto's husband was elected and Musharef is seeking asylum somewhere maybe here. I happen to like Ron Paul and may well write him in myself. I like his tax plan his isolationalism and his gold standard ideas,abolish the frb banking system and put the power back in the peoples hands where it should be.

Exactly. He is an educated man with a lot of good ideas for this country. I find it ironic, that he is being compared to a 1920's mentality and that being a bad thing. (Politically speaking) Our government and society have lost the clue that power is supposed to be with the people of this country, represented by a few but speaking the voice of the many. Over time, this ideology has been taken from the masses and lost to the wind. We now breed a society of lazy, clueless people who WANT the government to take care of them, so they can go on about their lovely American days playing video games and eating Taco Bell. Do not take me out of context, obviously this doesn't speak for everyone. But this lifestyle and state-of-mind is becoming more and more sustained as new generations come in. It is a sad time.

I believe his ideas would be a motivational factor to Americans, who mostly, have lost their pride in this country. There are varying reasons for that, but few people out there who want to genuinely fix it. Fact of the matter is, it took us YEARS to dig this hole we are in, economically and socially, and it will not be easy to dig back out. And no one wants to put in that work. So logically, no average Joe is going to want a politician who wants to put some tears, sweat, and blood into fixing it.

Just my opinion anyway...

The problem with your statement quoted above is that- Many believe that the United States, in its attempt to promote commerce and trade, has become a rogue nation that has a false democracy that protects the interests of its corporations at the expense of its people.

Edited by SoCrazes

The problem with your statement quoted above is that- Many believe that the United States, in its attempt to promote commerce and trade, has become a rogue nation that has a false democracy that protects the interests of its corporations at the expense of its people.

Uh, we have havent we? Did I miss something? We are not even close to a democracy which of course we werent meant to be we're a republic with democratically elected (supposedly) leadership which never does the things they promise they'll do once elected.

Uh, we have havent we? Did I miss something? We are not even close to a democracy which of course we werent meant to be we're a republic with democratically elected (supposedly) leadership which never does the things they promise they'll do once elected.

Our "democratic" republic is somewhat of a farce in the light of how candidates keep their promises once elected.

Our "democratic" republic is somewhat of a farce in the light of how candidates keep their promises once elected.

Isnt that the truth,you ever see that video going way back to Ford where all the previous Presidents promised oil independance. They still havent got there cause they dont want too. Unfortunantly your right most of those born after about 1970 or so just dont get it because nothing seems out of place to them. They were raised by the one eyed monster and believe everything that it spits out. I got news for them they'll sure be shocked when the bottem falls out or worse.

For he does not get it.

What is he to get that you know? Maybe you should run since you "get it"?

I'm writing in Dr. Ron Paul for President, and I'm writing in nickoli for VP. I agree with you totally nickoli. The US is one of the few countries that is rich enough naturally to be an isolationist country. Most other countries want us out of their business as well. The FRB? A monopoly, that doesn't operate in the public's best interest. An un-necessary "middle man" that collects a huge vig.

Edited by SoCrazes

His isolationalism, gold standard idea and abolish the Fed would lead to massive inflation, massive unemployment and would kill the U.S. economy along with putting the world in a recession for a very long time.

It's the Fed that's causing all the inflation. Printing all this money to pay for all the bailouts. Now lehman brothers is going under.

There's already massive job losses and nearing a world recession - you really think the current economy is fine?

Whoever the next president is, is going to inherit alot of debt and you find they're so called promises will never happen - where's the money going to come from. Just print it all? I guess, but that will lead to higher inflation. Then the government will just manipulate the CPI and say inflation is fine