Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange things you used to believe as a kid

NosmoKing

His Sunday was sitting in front of the tv watching it all day. All of us kids would keep going in and begging to watch something on tv before we had to go to bed and he'd keep saying it's almost over, then it went into overtime. I always thought a football game lasted the entire day. Then I got married and my husband also loved the game. I wanted to go someplace one day and he said he'd go after the game was over. I started arguing with him that the game lasted the entire day and I was going without him. He swore that a game only lasts a couple hours and said the players could never play such a physical sport all day. So I waited to see and sure enough it ended within a couple hours. I couldn't believe it. All those years my dad had been sitting there watching one game after another all day and lying to us.

Are we cousins? My father and your father have GOT to be brothers!!

My mom used to tell us a lot of strange things, old wives tales. She told us when we were kids if we crossed our eyes they would stay that way. When I was pregnant she told me not to put my arms above my head because you could strangle the baby with the umbilicle cord. My mom is 80. But my father told us something that I bekieved for years. I didn't find out it was a lie until I was married. My father loves football. His Sunday was sitting in front of the tv watching it all day. All of us kids would keep going in and begging to watch something on tv before we had to go to bed and he'd keep saying it's almost over, then it went into overtime. I always thought a football game lasted the entire day. Then I got married and my husband also loved the game. I wanted to go someplace one day and he said he'd go after the game was over. I started arguing with him that the game lasted the entire day and I was going without him. He swore that a game only lasts a couple hours and said the players could never play such a physical sport all day. So I waited to see and sure enough it ended within a couple hours. I couldn't believe it. All those years my dad had been sitting there watching one game after another all day and lying to us.

Isn't it horrid when you find out your parent(s) have been lying to you about something for years? When I was a kid there was a theme park near where I lived called Magic Mountain which I always wanted to go to. Mum said we couldn't go as the foundation had never set properly and as a result one day the rides would fall over (i.e the roller coaster wasn't built correctly and would fall over, etc). I found out years later she just didn't want to take us, she didn't really like theme parks, and made up an excuse I believed. Meanie!

LOL!!! All day football! I think your dad is an evil genius, conspiracybeliever!

My mom used to always say that when a person lied, their eyes would shine/glow. She was pretty quick to catch on if we were trying to pull a fast one, so she was good at just saying, "Your eyes are shining," and we'd admit whatever wrongdoing we'd committed. It was only when I was telling her the truth and she would say this, convinced I was lying, that I caught onto the fact that it was a total crock.

My grandpa told me that the Indians that lived on the otherside of the field behind the church across the street would come and scalp me. I used to play in the field and in the front yard, but I would look across the field every min or so thinking some really big guy with feathers in his hair was coming to scalp all 2 1/2 feet of hair off my head.

turns out, the only thing behind the church was Jed Clampett before the oil.

He also told me that there were bloody bones in the closet. I didn't open the closet until I was 14 and just to vaccum, there were no bones but it smelled bad and I didn't open it again until I was 16, just in case they had been temporaily moved for spring cleaning.

He also called me a flat foot floosie with a floy floy, I was scared of that until I found out what a floosie was and then I was just mad.

LOL!!! All day football! I think your dad is an evil genius, conspiracybeliever!

My mom used to always say that when a person lied, their eyes would shine/glow. She was pretty quick to catch on if we were trying to pull a fast one, so she was good at just saying, "Your eyes are shining," and we'd admit whatever wrongdoing we'd committed. It was only when I was telling her the truth and she would say this, convinced I was lying, that I caught onto the fact that it was a total crock.

When I was a kid I heard the thing about how to spot a liar is they can't look people in the eyes. Since I was a good little girl I didn't want to seem untruthful, yet was uncomfortable looking people in the eyes (I was shy), so I *forced* myself to looked people in the eyes until I was comfortable with the process. Due to that childhood quirk I can now lie to people quite well, as I can look them directly in the eyes when I'm lying. ha

When I was a kid I heard the thing about how to spot a liar is they can't look people in the eyes. Since I was a good little girl I didn't want to seem untruthful, yet was uncomfortable looking people in the eyes (I was shy), so I *forced* myself to looked people in the eyes until I was comfortable with the process. Due to that childhood quirk I can now lie to people quite well, as I can look them directly in the eyes when I'm lying. ha

LOL! So then it sort of backfired in the end. ;) For your parents anyhow. :lol:

Mom always said that boys would destroy me *I always thought they would kill me or something*,and if I socialized with one he'd put my life in ruins (no she is not a sour person with ex's)

Turns out it was her over protective way of making sure I don't get a boyfriend....if I have to then it must be "accepted" by them or "arranged". I'm 12 now and she told me this stuff way back since I was even widdler....I didn't even truley understand the concepts of love in the boyfriend+girlfriend way..

Ironically the people I socialize best with (when I am forced to) are boys,my only friend is a boy (and suprise,suprise my entire family loath him)..

*sigh*

And THEY ALL WONDER why I have issues.

edit: they blame my issues on my only friend.."it was THAT boy again wasn't it?"

Edited by The Wise Raven

LOL! So then it sort of backfired in the end. ;) For your parents anyhow. :lol:

Not only my parents--for the whole world apparently. Sometimes I'll tell whoppers to people thinking they can't possibly believe me and yet they do. However at an early age I realised I should use my 'powers' for good and not evil. Usually I'll tell the truth, even when it's not in my best interests.

Not only my parents--for the whole world apparently. Sometimes I'll tell whoppers to people thinking they can't possibly believe me and yet they do. However at an early age I realised I should use my 'powers' for good and not evil. Usually I'll tell the truth, even when it's not in my best interests.

Um. Have we dated?

Um. Have we dated?

Probably not ;)

Yeah, it's kinda weird to be good at lying, but to feel *so* guilty when I do. I'd probably be a pretty good sociopath if not for my conscience.

Another thing from when I was little: when my family would go on drives we would pass a cylindrical water reservoir and I asked mum what it was. She said it was a swimming pool for adults (I guess cause it was so large and she wanted to be funny). I told her I wanted to go swimming there and wouldn't back down about going (so I guess the joke backfired on her). So mum said it's only for adults because once you're in the water only adults are tall enough to reach the ladder to get out. Children are too small, and would end up drowning as they tired themselves out reaching for the ladder. Still very immersed in the idea of swimming in the water reservoir, I told my mom she could come in with me, and help me out when I was done. So then she told me it was against the law for adults to help children out of the water reservoir. If a child snuck in the adults had to let them die.

Usually my mum was pretty good for the truth. Something about my incessant questioning on Sunday drives must have driven her slightly mad.

Edited by NosmoKing

Probably not ;)

Yeah, it's kinda weird to be good at lying, but to feel *so* guilty when I do. I'd probably be a pretty good sociopath if not for my conscience.

Another thing from when I was little: when my family would go on drives we would pass a cylindrical water reservoir and I asked mum what it was. She said it was a swimming pool for adults (I guess cause it was so large and she wanted to be funny). I told her I wanted to go swimming there and wouldn't back down about going (so I guess the joke backfired on her). So mum said it's only for adults because once you're in the water only adults are tall enough to reach the ladder to get out. Children are too small, and would end up drowning as they tired themselves out reaching for the ladder. Still very immersed in the idea of swimming in the water reservoir, I told my mom she could come in with me, and help me out when I was done. So then she told me it was against the law for adults to help children out of the water reservoir. If a child snuck in the adults had to let them die.

Usually my mum was pretty good for the truth. Something about my incessant questioning on Sunday drives must have driven her slightly mad.

I lie really well on the spot.

I lie really well on the spot.

See, that's where my truthfulness comes out. Put on the spot, my brain is like directly connected to my mouth, and I just blurt out the truth. Later on I think 'oh, I probably should have lied about that.'

When I was little I used to keep asking my mum "but when do babies know when to come". My mum would avoid answering me, so trying to figure it out for myself I came to the conclusion that it must be when the wedding ring was put on the finger. :D

Yeah and then my husband told all of our friends and everyone was laughing at me asking how I could still believe that but I don't watch football. I think what he did had some lifetime effect on me. To this day I won't watch football unless it's the superbowl. And then only if I'm invited to a party. I hate football.

My mother was famous for over exaggerated stories. She even admitted you should not spoil a good story with the complete truth!

Anyway as a child one of her stories scared me for years. I was about 5 years old when she caught me extracting lint from my belly button. Suddenly she screamed at me, STOP doing that if you undo that thing you'll fly around the room like a broken balloon. And I thought she was telling the truth. :D

Ack!! I had the same story from my grandmother!! It realy made an impression on me. When my daughter was about 4 months old I decided her bellybutton had changed. I was convinced it was popping out. Took her to the hospital and all. She was fine. But I never told my husband that I was afraid it would come untied and everything would um..ooze...out.

HN

Yeah and then my husband told all of our friends and everyone was laughing at me asking how I could still believe that but I don't watch football. I think what he did had some lifetime effect on me. To this day I won't watch football unless it's the superbowl. And then only if I'm invited to a party. I hate football.

:D

See, that's where my truthfulness comes out. Put on the spot, my brain is like directly connected to my mouth, and I just blurt out the truth. Later on I think 'oh, I probably should have lied about that.'

I can only lie well if it's someone I don't know. And I mean, like... a total stranger, unless it really is right on the spot and I'm not thinking about it when I say it, which is rare. I'm too blunt and transparent otherwise.

What a shame! I think I'd be disowned if I didn't like football (and baseball). But... it is funny.

Edited by Marby

I can only lie well if it's someone I don't know. And I mean, like... a total stranger, unless it really is right on the spot and I'm not thinking about it when I say it, which is rare. I'm too blunt and transparent otherwise.

I can lie equally well to people I know and people I don't, but I feel 100x more guilt with people I know. A little bit like with Ted Bundy saying he couldn't kill anyone he'd talked to for 20 minutes, that they had become a real person to him.

I can lie equally well to people I know and people I don't, but I feel 100x more guilt with people I know. A little bit like with Ted Bundy saying he couldn't kill anyone he'd talked to for 20 minutes, that they had become a real person to him.

I've just got that face. I could never be an actress either. I'm so easy to read and I blurt things out, appropriate or not. When I do get away with a lie, it has to be so perfectly planned it's usually not even worth it.

I've just got that face. I could never be an actress either. I'm so easy to read and I blurt things out, appropriate or not. When I do get away with a lie, it has to be so perfectly planned it's usually not even worth it.

Apparently good acting comes from the eyes. Bad actors are the ones that are moving their facial muscles too much when 'acting.'

Another thing I believed (and sadly I wasn't young at the time and had no excuse): in an episode of the Simpsons, I think it's the ep where the Bart's (Lisa's?) class go on a school trip to a chocolate factory. Anyway, there's a educational film on cocoa, and it's stated the ancient Aztecs used to roll and smoke the cocoa leaf. I repeated this factoid to mum once and she laughed for quite a while. Apparently this is not true (or maybe it is, what do I know). Still, I can't hate the Simpsons for it...mmm, Simpsons.

Has anyone ever gotten bad info from the Simpsons?

Apparently good acting comes from the eyes. Bad actors are the ones that are moving their facial muscles too much when 'acting.'

Another thing I believed (and sadly I wasn't young at the time and had no excuse): in an episode of the Simpsons, I think it's the ep where the Bart's (Lisa's?) class go on a school trip to a chocolate factory. Anyway, there's a educational film on cocoa, and it's stated the ancient Aztecs used to roll and smoke the cocoa leaf. I repeated this factoid to mum once and she laughed for quite a while. Apparently this is not true (or maybe it is, what do I know). Still, I can't hate the Simpsons for it...mmm, Simpsons.

Has anyone ever gotten bad info from the Simpsons?

There may be hope for me yet! :)

Hee hee. That's cute! I've never gotten bad info from The Simpsons, but I did watch far too many soaps as a kid, and as a result, went through a phase where I thought it was perfectly normal for people to get amnesia and that one twin was always evil. The latter was a bit scary because my mom is an identical twin and I couldn't decide if it was Mom or Auntie that was evil because they both seemed so nice.

I used to think that you can make children just by holding hands with your lover.

What a shame! I think I'd be disowned if I didn't like football (and baseball). But... it is funny.

I still watch if there are a lot of other people watching it like at the super bowl parties and pretend to be excited. In reality I just sit there and get drunk and watch their asses running up and down the field. That's the one good thing about it. They look good in those uniforms.

My grandpa told me that the Indians that lived on the otherside of the field behind the church across the street would come and scalp me. I used to play in the field and in the front yard, but I would look across the field every min or so thinking some really big guy with feathers in his hair was coming to scalp all 2 1/2 feet of hair off my head.

turns out, the only thing behind the church was Jed Clampett before the oil.

He also told me that there were bloody bones in the closet. I didn't open the closet until I was 14 and just to vaccum, there were no bones but it smelled bad and I didn't open it again until I was 16, just in case they had been temporaily moved for spring cleaning.

He also called me a flat foot floosie with a floy floy, I was scared of that until I found out what a floosie was and then I was just mad.

By the way did you ever find out what a floy floy is? Just curious. I think that's hilarious.

I still watch if there are a lot of other people watching it like at the super bowl parties and pretend to be excited. In reality I just sit there and get drunk and watch their asses running up and down the field. That's the one good thing about it. They look good in those uniforms.

They do wear those uniforms well. :wub: