Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do the Republicans think McCain / Palin

sear

They're making a fuss about Senator Obama having commented on Senator McCain's economic policy.

"That's just calling some ... the same thing somethin' different. ... You know, you can put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig." Sen. Obama.

The McCain campaign reply, delivered by Gov. Swift:

"Disgraceful comments, comparing our vice presidential nominee Governor Palin to a pig." Republican Former Massachusetts Governor Jane Swift

The hypocritical part of this is:

Palin has used the word "lipstick" too. McCain has used the phrase "lipstick on a pig", as has VP Cheney.

Yet they criticize Obama for it.

In fact, hours later, the Republicans published a web ad criticizing Obama for the usage.

Isn't this a silly double-standard for the Republicans to trot out?

Unfortunately, McCain's team has created a controversy here, that has little if anything to do with the issues.

Don't they have anything more substantive to whine about?

And that's the key to understanding this.

If they're rational, if they understand English, then they know Obama was addressing McCain's economics, not his running mate.

But the Republicans also realize, every day, every news cycle that goes by where substance is addressed, that means news about President Bush can taint McCain / Palin's electoral chances.

So they contrive disparaging distractions, hoping it will advance their political objectives.

They should be ashamed.

Evidence key Republicans think McCain / Palin are on the ropes:

Would they all sink this low, if they thought they were ahead?

Last time I checked, independent of the popularity polls, Obama is closer to the 270 needed for an E.C. win than McCain is.

But desperation politics from "The Straight Talk Express"?

Do the Republicans want us to think they're so stupid they don't know understand English?

Or are they merely Machiavellian enough to not care, and want to get issues of substance out of the news for a day or two?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ninjadude

• Caesar

• AROCES

• BlindMessiah

It's about time we stop beating this dead horse.... don't ya think??? :yes:

(See my smiley below ... LOL)

They're making a fuss about Senator Obama having commented on Senator McCain's economic policy.

Palin has used the word "lipstick" too. McCain has used the phrase "lipstick on a pig", as has VP Cheney.

In fact, hours later, the Republicans published a web ad criticizing Obama for the usage.

Unfortunately, McCain's team has created a controversy here, that has little if anything to do with the issues.

Don't they have anything more substantive to whine about?

And that's the key to understanding this.

If they're rational, if they understand English, then they know Obama was addressing McCain's economics, not his running mate.

But the Republicans also realize, every day, every news cycle that goes by where substance is addressed, that means news about President Bush can taint McCain / Palin's electoral chances.

So they contrive disparaging distractions, hoping it will advance their political objectives.

They should be ashamed.

Evidence key Republicans think McCain / Palin are on the ropes:

Would they all sink this low, if they thought they were ahead?

Last time I checked, independent of the popularity polls, Obama is closer to the 270 needed for an E.C. win than McCain is.

But desperation politics from "The Straight Talk Express"?

Do the Republicans want us to think they're so stupid they don't know understand English?

Or are they merely Machiavellian enough to not care, and want to get issues of substance out of the news for a day or two?

Yes yes we know, Republican's are bad stupid and the devil, Obama is the saving grace of the world! Blah Blah Blah

Only democrats are able to get their panties in a wad for something the opposing side has said. We get it! How dare McCain get mad for something Obama said! He has some nerve!!!!!!!!!

I love it that we are in a country where you don’t actually stand for anything, but you get everyone wanting to vote for you because you say you bring hope and change, what that hope and change actually is Who Knows? But it sounds good doesn’t it?

From what I can see we are screwed no MATTER WHO is elected, because both sides are crap! Obama has hardly ANY political experience at all, but has faked his way through because celebrities ram it down your throat he is the 2nd coming, and well I don’t have to say why everyone hates McCain, after all he does have a letter ® by his name and that’s enough o hate him right?

I just hope if and when Obama get elected, democrats will shut the hell up and let us come together as a country again, all this anti American crap is really starting to p*** me off. It’s really like a 5 year old screaming crying and being violent until you get your way! I have had to listen to it for 8 years and I am ready for you guys too shut up already about how this country sucks so bad, once The new savior is elected we will all be ritch and happy and living on cloud 9! .YAAAY! :wacko:

This in no way proves the Republicans are on the ropes. Obama makes a comment about Bush and McCain's policies and McCain is able to convince some voters that he was calling Palin a pig. Smear tactics work. McCain has been releasing a ton of smear ads and he is up in the polls because of Palin and such ads.

I don't think that people are expecting to be rich and livin' on cloud nine.....Happy yes. But the rest is just gravy.

What people want is change. I remember that Bill Clinton was unknown and people thought that he was a risky choice.

Although NAFTA is something that I disagree with, Clinton did right by the USA.

People hope to see the same result in Obama.

Don't get me wrong, I am an Independent. I distrust the Dems And the GOP equally!

As far as the Dems shutting the hell up ~ well I think that could be said for the Republicans too.

They are all acting like babies and doing to each other...what they complain is being done to them.

Sometimes I wish we had a free press. As it stands right now, ALL media is biased.

THIS IS A PERFECT ILLUSTRATION OF ATTEMPTING A SPIN.

Ain't going to work, Plain has the Obama/Biden ticket on the ropes and they surely struggling to get out of it.

Ain't going to work, Plain has the Obama/Biden ticket on the ropes and they surely struggling to get out of it.

Palin is something, that's for sure. I don't like her, and I thought she'd be a louzy choice for McCain but was I ever wrong.

Ain't going to work, Obama has the McCain/Palin ticket on the ropes and they surely struggling to get out of it.

Fixed! CAPS MAKES IT TRUE!

Fixed! CAPS MAKES IT TRUE!

Nah... it was already true... CAPS JUST MAKE IT STAND OUT BETTER! :tu:

:innocent:

I don't think that people are expecting to be rich and livin' on cloud nine.....Happy yes. But the rest is just gravy.

What people want is change. I remember that Bill Clinton was unknown and people thought that he was a risky choice.

Although NAFTA is something that I disagree with, Clinton did right by the USA.

People hope to see the same result in Obama.

Don't get me wrong, I am an Independent. I distrust the Dems And the GOP equally!

As far as the Dems shutting the hell up ~ well I think that could be said for the Republicans too.

They are all acting like babies and doing to each other...what they complain is being done to them.

Sometimes I wish we had a free press. As it stands right now, ALL media is biased.

I hate to burst yo bubble but just because Obama gets elected doesn’t mean anything is going to change all that much! What most of you fail to realize is the president has only so much power? He is the face of the government, but when push comes to shove at the end of the day Obama doesn’t get to make all the choices for this county, the same people who are in power now all make those choices as a group and right now Obama is a part of that group, and I haven’t seen Obama do crap for this country in the short time he has been an elected official.

Don’t you think that if he really had the wish and power to make positive changes he would have already started for his own city? And have a good hard record to back up his "hope and change" slogan? He has absolutely NO RECORD of anything of major significance since being in office and everyone chooses to ignore that. WHY?

He wants a promotion to be President without having done anything in his current position. One would think he would have started years ago going over and beyond the call of duty bringing about CHANGE to his city knowing that he will be running for president one day but didn’t? He hasn’t done anything! So how and why do you think it will be any different for an entire Country?

That’s like me going to the owner of the company I work for and asking them to make me president of the company, granted I have only been here for a few years and I haven’t done anything of significance to be qualified to be president of my company even though I have a masters degree, but hey I am going to bring hope and change to the entire company. I can tell them that but they know by looking at my record as an employee that I don’t have the experience to be the president. Just because I SAY I can bring hope and change doesn’t mean squat, they look at your work record and since I have been at this company I have brought no hope or change to anything, I just want to be president of the company.

That’s how it goes in corporate America for huge business that makes millions of dollars; you have to have a "proven record" to be president of a corporation so why should it be any different for the person who runs our country?

shall we talk about double standards. This one mostly, She can't be the vice president because she won't be able to spend anytime/enough time with her kids. But Obama can as president.

She doesn't have enough experience to be vice president a job that doesn't do anything except sit and wait for the president to die if he does.

But Obama does have to be president, the most powerful man on the planet.

Double standards all over the place looks to me.

shall we talk about double standards. This one mostly, She can't be the vice president because she won't be able to spend anytime/enough time with her kids. But Obama can as president.

She doesn't have enough experience to be vice president a job that doesn't do anything except sit and wait for the president to die if he does.

But Obama does have to be president, the most powerful man on the planet.

Double standards all over the place looks to me.

Exactly!!!! You are VERY RIGHT ABOUT THAT!!!!

And if anyone would bother looking at Palin’s ACTUAL record they would see she has done TONS!!!!! Of things for her state. She brought down hundreds of corrupts government officials in her state, she has a track record of success and she HAS brought about "hope and change" in her state!

But as always, when a celebrity comes out and says she has No experience then that must mean it’s true! No one bothers looking at her record, the 100% true fact is she has more experience than even Obama who is bidding for the presidency. She is going to be running in the background as V.P with more experience than the guy who thinks he is going to be President.

You can say what you want but the proof is on PAPER!!!!!! Instead of watching t.v and listening to John Stewart and P.Diddy telling you she is not qualified how about getting off your lazy rear and reading her record. I would bet you a million dollars even they haven’t read her record.

Granted most of you are too uneducated to understand what most of it means, but that still doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to at least read it before repeating the mindless garble of lies that you heard from the celebrities you adore so much.

In case you didn’t know all the records for your government officials are available for your viewing pleasure. I suggest you actually educate yourself then you can make an intelligent argument.

Well of course it is silly.

It's almost precisely as silly as what Obama did to the Clintons in accusing them of "playing the race card."

Harte

On the lipstick issue: I really don't think it was the actual words that were so offensive; it is a phrase used many times in politics.

It was Obama's timing on it..Using it so soon after Palin used it to differentiate between a hockey mom and a pit-bull just a few scant days before was foolish. If he were to have waited for a couple of weeks (at least), it would be a non-issue..

/The polls for the Republicans look better now than probably anytime in the race so far..If they are 'on the ropes', someone needs to inform the people responding the the pollsters..

Edited by Pinky Floyd

I was beginning to think I was the lone ranger :lol:

I hate to burst yo bubble but just because Obama gets elected doesn’t mean anything is going to change all that much!

You got it. Obama could promise if elected every child in america will recieve a free 10 count bag of lollipops. But if the house shoots it down, then thats the end of that.

On the lipstick issue: I really don't think it was the actual words that were so offensive; it is a phrase used many times in politics.

It was Obama's timing on it..Using it so soon after Palin used it to differentiate between a hockey mom and a pit-bull just a few scant days before was foolish. If he were to have waited for a couple of weeks (at least), it would be a non-issue..

/The polls for the Republicans look better now than probably anytime in the race so far..If they are 'on the ropes', someone needs to inform the people responding the the pollsters..

Well I saw the whole thing go down live on tv. When I got up the next day I saw the article about the McCain camp crying for an appology to Gov. Palin. I thought, good grief you gotta be kidding me. Same ole hyperbole. And THAT is what gives them the appearance of desperation.

Timing? You mean like when is a good time to get pregnant? :lol: Things happen. If anything, he baited the McCain camp and they bit.

I was beginning to think I was the lone ranger :lol:

You got it. Obama could promise if elected every child in america will recieve a free 10 count bag of lollipops. But if the house shoots it down, then thats the end of that.

Well I saw the whole thing go down live on tv. When I got up the next day I saw the article about the McCain camp crying for an appology to Gov. Palin. I thought, good grief you gotta be kidding me. Same ole hyperbole. And THAT is what gives them the appearance of desperation.

Timing? You mean like when is a good time to get pregnant? :lol: Things happen. If anything, he baited the McCain camp and they bit.

I dont see the McCain desperation, if thats what you meant, more like seizing an opportunity. more analogy: I see it as the McCain camp taking advantage of the gaffe, using the appology demand as the bait, casting to the press and Obama and getting hooked up big time, still playing that fish. :)

I think the whole lipstick thing was stupid. people want to listen on what they plan to do with the economy jobs and when we are going to start drilling.

Republican's are bad stupid and the devil, Obama is the saving grace of the world!

My sentiments exactly.

;)

Insinuating that a successful woman who is running for VPOTUS is a pig in front of women (some of those women are still fuming from the dissing that he gave to another successful woman that had 18 million votes) will not go well with a good amount of them. Baiting? Very well could be, but if he planned on baiting, it backfired amongst the undecided, independent women voters. Some Dem chicks too-I know that 'cause I'm dating one that he P.O.'ed with his very statement.

Like I said..Bad timing on his part. My girlfriend-a tried and true Democrat (she made me highlight that BTW) agrees..

/whether he planned it or not..the perception that he did is undeniably there.

//many women-Democrat or Republican, ARE proud of what Palin has done-they may not vote for her but they are still proud of her (mom of 5, mayor, Governor, VP candidate..)

Edited by Pinky Floyd

You'd have to be a complete idiot to believe Obama was talking about Palin.

It's a COMMON STATEMENT! I've heard the analogy long before I cared about politics - long before most people had ever heard of Palin or Obama.

Good God. Obama has more intelligence in his left (radio edit) than most politicians have in their entire body. No way he did it on purpose - for this exact reason. People would be all over him. I'm certain Obama forgot about Palin's little stray from the teleprompter. I'm certain he didn't do it on purpose, and I'm relatively sure he wouldn't have said it if he had remembered her comment.

Can we move on to how he is a Muslim terrorist now? Please.

Edited by IrishAidan

You'd have to be a complete idiot to believe Obama was talking about Palin.

It's a COMMON STATEMENT! I've heard the analogy long before I cared about politics - long before most people had ever heard of Palin or Obama.

Good God. Obama has more intelligence in his left (radio edit) than most politicians have in their entire body. No way he did it on purpose - for this exact reason. People would be all over him. I'm certain Obama forgot about Palin's little stray from the teleprompter. I'm certain he didn't do it on purpose, and I'm relatively sure he wouldn't have said it if he had remembered her comment.

No-one should be debating the actual saying. It IS said all the time in speech. And he probably wasn't referring to Palin-but then again, if he's as brilliant as you say he is, surely he should have known (before the words flew out of his mouth) that it would be at least a controversy over him saying this. But it's the fact that is that he said it only a couple of days after Palin referred to lipstick is what has kicked him in the (radio edits). And perception is everything...Like I posted before: "whether he planned it or not..the perception that he did (knowingly sling that barb towards Palin) is undeniably there."

I'm sticking to my guns: Bad timing on Obama's part.

Edited by Pinky Floyd

No-one should be debating the actual saying. It IS said all the time in speech. And he probably wasn't referring to Palin. But it's the fact that is that he said it only a couple of days after Palin referred to lipstick is what has kicked him in the (radio edits). And perception is everything...Like I posted before: "whether he planned it or not..the perception that he did is undeniably there."

I'm sticking to my guns: Bad timing on Obama's part.

I'll agree that it was bad timing. But I refuse to believe he did it on purpose, like many on the Right are saying.

^^^^ This is it

I mean really, even Obama's audience thought it was a dig at Palin, as evidenced by their "OH YOU GOT EM GOOD" Cheers...

^^^^ This is it

I mean really, even Obama's audience thought it was a dig at Palin, as evidenced by their "OH YOU GOT EM GOOD" Cheers...

The "it's still a pig" quip has gotten laughter EVERY TIME it has ever been used! That's why politicians use it! Just listen to the "oh you got em good" laugh when McCain used it about Hillary: