Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biden: Be Patriotic, Pay More Taxes

Nxt2Hvn

WASHINGTON — Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden said Thursday that paying more in taxes is the patriotic thing to do for wealthier Americans. In a new TV ad that repeats widely debunked claims about the Democratic tax plan, the Republican campaign calls Obama’s tax increases “painful.”

Under the economic plan proposed by Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, people earning more than $250,000 a year would pay more in taxes while those earning less — the vast majority of American taxpayers — would receive a tax cut.

Although Republican John McCain claims that Obama would raise taxes, the independent Tax Policy Center and other groups conclude that four out of five U.S. households would receive tax cuts under Obama’s proposals.

“We want to take money and put it back in the pocket of middle-class people,” Biden said in an interview on ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

Noting that wealthier Americans would indeed pay more, Biden said: “It’s time to be patriotic … time to jump in, time to be part of the deal, time to help get America out of the rut.”

McCain released a television ad Thursday charging that Obama would increase the size of the federal government amid an economic crisis. Contending that “a big government casts a big shadow on us all,” the ad features the image of a shadow slowly covering a sleeping baby as a narrator misstates the reach of the Obama tax proposal.

“Obama and his liberal congressional allies want a massive government, billions in spending increases, wasteful pork,” the ad says. “And we would pay — painful income taxes, skyrocketing taxes on life savings, electricity and home heating oil. Can your family afford that?”

The McCain campaign said the ad is set to run nationally.

Link

I consider myself better off financially than a lot of American's, but don't consider myself "wealthy", but my husband and I make over the mentioned amount above!!... So I guess that would mean us!

Edited by Nxt2Hvn

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlindMessiah

• Guardsman Bass

• MasterPo

• Startraveler

“We want to take money and put it back in the pocket of middle-class people,” Biden said in an interview on ABC’s “Good Morning America

“We want to take money ...."

Biden says this so blithely, effortlessly, naturally.

Astonishing....

That's what happens when you become wealthy and successful.

The government sticks it to you.

Yep.... maybe I should quit my job and go on goverment assistance.... :hmm:

Wow, you guys make more than 250,000 a year? I personally would consider that wealthy!! :) My husband and I make about 30,000 a year, so we'll take any kind of tax breaks we can get!

Wow, you guys make more than 250,000 a year? I personally would consider that wealthy!! :) My husband and I make about 30,000 a year, so we'll take any kind of tax breaks we can get!

I'm right in the same bracket as you. Around the 35k mark. Far far from being wealthy. And I would love to get a tax break as well. I just don't think wealthy people should have their taxes jacked up to make up the difference.

I'd rather see our government shrink in size and power and let Everyone keep more of their money. Rich and poor.

I'm right in the same bracket as you. Around the 35k mark. Far far from being wealthy. And I would love to get a tax break as well. I just don't think wealthy people should have their taxes jacked up to make up the difference.

I'd rather see our government shrink in size and power and let Everyone keep more of their money. Rich and poor.

Thanks Ohio ... I agree 100%.

And believe me ... $250,000 a year is not wealthy ... We own a construction company and have bills just like anyone else.

Who does your husband work for? I bet it's a "rich" person.

That's supposed to mean what?

You said you bet her husband works for a rich person. I doubt that he does. Most people work for companies owned by stockholders.

You said you bet her husband works for a rich person. I doubt that he does. Most people work for companies owned by stockholders.

There are far more small and medium companies than large ones. But that's off topic.

I've never understood the suggestion that those who work hard and build themselves up are supposed to pay for the poor for what reason. Half the people in dire straights right now are there of their own volition. They over spent and tried to live beyond their means. You see people driving around in status symbols they can't afford instead of buying a used car, buying flat panel tvs etc when they can't afford it. Putting everything on credit cards and then getting swamped by the interest etc etc etc. Rich people usually don't use the public systems that they are already taxed to pay for. Like mass transit and public schools. Most wealthy people are already paying for the rest of the country. They suggest that those upper class elitists are hoarding in a sense all of the money. But their tax bracket it much higher. I'm poor and I feel like rich people should keep their money as they earned it. Its time to be patriotic should read lets get back to old time values where you don't live on credit and its ok to not have every single thing you want to have.

I've never understood the suggestion that those who work hard and build themselves up are supposed to pay for the poor for what reason. Half the people in dire straights right now are there of their own volition. They over spent and tried to live beyond their means. You see people driving around in status symbols they can't afford instead of buying a used car, buying flat panel tvs etc when they can't afford it. Putting everything on credit cards and then getting swamped by the interest etc etc etc. Rich people usually don't use the public systems that they are already taxed to pay for. Like mass transit and public schools. Most wealthy people are already paying for the rest of the country. They suggest that those upper class elitists are hoarding in a sense all of the money. But their tax bracket it much higher. I'm poor and I feel like rich people should keep their money as they earned it. Its time to be patriotic should read lets get back to old time values where you don't live on credit and its ok to not have every single thing you want to have.

Well said! :tu:

Joe Biden has foot-in-mouth disease..I posted that when Obama chose him..

Meanwhile..increasing personal taxes are not going to fix our problem..the problem is a suicidal trade imbalance, meaningless wars (well...the war in Afghanistan has some meaning) and too big of a government...A smaller government making more money on a robust economy is the deal..Along with tax incentives for companies to bring manufacturing jobs here (or bring them back here for that matter).

/increasing taxes now (even the 'rich') will be a catastrophe...

//The American government needs a serious diet, stop giving crazy money away to other countries and a will to stay home and mind our own business for awhile ...(for the next 232 years or so..) :yes:

Edited by Pinky Floyd

Keep in mind that we're only talking about an 8.5% income tax increase on the top 1% (and that's the very highest; if you are making $250,000, I doubt you are in the top 1%). That still puts the percentage of income you are losing to tax under 40% of income - a far cry from the 91% top bracket rate from before the Reagan tax cuts.

That still puts the percentage of income you are losing to tax under 40% of income - a far cry from the 91% top bracket rate from before the Reagan tax cuts.

...or the 50% top bracket after the Reagan tax cuts.

Half the people in dire straights right now are there of their own volition.

Where do you get that figure from?

The fact that any one wants to legally limit the amount of income allowed to be kept by a person's own hard work which as brought them, all in the name of the greater good, should scare the HELL out of everyone!!

Where do you get that figure from?

I don't know about any stats. But I can assure you from my personal experience that at least half the people I've known couldn't manage two $1.00 bills if their life depended on it.

Funny thing about that - in spite of all the anti-tax activists' howling about how even slightly higher tax rates on the rich will cause economic stagnation, the US did quite nicely in terms of economic expansion and income from the post-war period until the 1970s, when the top income bracket in the US ranged from 91% (from the middle of World War 2 until 1964), to over 70% until the first Reagan era tax cut.

Funny thing about that - in spite of all the anti-tax activists' howling about how even slightly higher tax rates on the rich will cause economic stagnation, the US did quite nicely in terms of economic expansion and income from the post-war period until the 1970s, when the top income bracket in the US ranged from 91% (from the middle of World War 2 until 1964), to over 70% until the first Reagan era tax cut.

Inspite of it, not because of it.