Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do You Support Abortion?

TheKnight

Abortion Poll  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Support Abortion?

• Yes, the circumstances don't matter.
    • Yes, if the woman was raped, or the mother's life is in danger.
    • Depends on the case.
    • No, however I think it's OK for a rape victim or someone who's life is in danger.
    • No, however I think it's OK for rape victims but not mother's who's lives are danger.
    • No, the circumstances don't matter.
  2. 2. Do You Support The Death Penalty?

• Yes.
    • No.

I think that many times religionists and non-religionists often get so tied up in other debates that we just assume things about the opposing group which may or may not be true. I, personally, have been surprised quite a few times to hear that there are Atheists who are against Abortion. So, in order to kinda see where the general consensus is (because I certainly don't know), I made this poll.

Responses are welcome.

EDIT: I kinda wanted to ask this too because I sometimes find it interesting that some people will be pro-life and pro-death penalty, and sometimes will be pro-choice and anti-death penalty. I support the death penalty.

Edited by ~HaParash~

No, I don't support abortion in anyway, shape, or form.

I support abortion only under the conditions that you specified above.

I support death penalty under special circumstances. Lets say a case by case support.

Well, as a spiritualist, I'm sure even posting anything on here will render all sorts of attacks my way, but yes, as someone who believes in and loves God, I am pro choice. I want life whenever possible, sure, but hey, I'm a man, so ultimately, its not MY CHOICE, and never should be, and worse still, I should never have that authority to DEMAND that from someone else.

From my very liberal religious perspective, if one accepts that we are all spirit beings, then.....these children will both take, and already have their true life in spirit, if not in flesh. I mean, to me, no one or nothing ever really dies. First and foremost, we are all spirit beings, having but a material experience, and as such, as souls, we incarnate into matter, into flesh at different periods and cycles. If a soul loses one body, it transmigrates to another. The cycle of birth death and rebirth is very real, and Death itself is an illusion IMHO. And because I also feel that everything happens for both a karmic reason, and destiny, that such a choice should NOT be abhored. If that is the choice one makes, then, it is part of their destiny. It is that simple. And who am I to judge that? Or interfere? Or worse, impose some deluded will on someone else? THERE ARE NO ACCIDENTS.

I support life, but who am I to force my will on others, or to judge others for their actions? I mean, explore the options, TRY to choose life, you know, give the kid up for adoption or something. That's what I THINK others should do, but in some cases, abortion is all right with me, other than pure wanton disregard for life. But I say that I am pro choice, because this is not my place to decide. Simple as that. We are all on our own individual spiritual path here, and we should respect one another.

• Like 1

I just want to point out that "do you support abortion" is a bit of a loaded question. To my knowledge, the vast majority of people who wish to preserve the choice/right and keep abortion from being outlawed still would like to see efforts made to reduce the number of abortions performed. The tricky thing with an issue like this is that it's all but impossible not to frame it in some way when discussing it. Focusing on the act itself, as in the poll question, implicitly tips it toward the anti-abortion crowd because for most pro-choice people (I believe) the issue is much broader than "do you support abortion." It's a matter of privacy, government intruding on a woman's body, and, yes, choice. That said, this is an interesting topic. Carry on.

I just want to point out that "do you support abortion" is a bit of a loaded question. To my knowledge, the vast majority of people who wish to preserve the choice/right and keep abortion from being outlawed still would like to see efforts made to reduce the number of abortions performed. The tricky thing with an issue like this is that it's all but impossible not to frame it in some way when discussing it. Focusing on the act itself, as in the poll question, implicitly tips it toward the anti-abortion crowd because for most pro-choice people (I believe) the issue is much broader than "do you support abortion." It's a matter of privacy, government intruding on a woman's body, and, yes, choice. That said, this is an interesting topic. Carry on.

I noticed this and this reason is part of the reason I made this thread. I noticed that a lot of people who supported abortion, also wanted to see abortion rates going down. I guess I was just shocked because I thought that a lot more people than actually are would be pro-abortion.

For me abortion it really depends on the case as far as the death penatly goes IF the person charged with the crime is deemed 100% guilty you better believe it. However ( this is going to sound a bit harsh) I don't believe that they should sit in a prison for a number of years take em out back & put a bullet in thier head. Paying taxes for them to sit in prison is crazy just end it right there & then.

The poll is too broad for me to vote. However, I will explain my positions. I am atheist by the way. You said you wanted to know that.

I'm against abortion once the pregnancy has reached the second trimester. The brain activity begins to develop during this period and the fetus thus becomes a child. Once it is a child it has all the legal rights to life as any other person.

I am only for the death penalty in a few specific situations. And even in these cases, there must be DNA evidence.

Edited by BlindMessiah

I just want to point out that "do you support abortion" is a bit of a loaded question. To my knowledge, the vast majority of people who wish to preserve the choice/right and keep abortion from being outlawed still would like to see efforts made to reduce the number of abortions performed.

Granted. There are of course some extreme zealots who don't care.

When it is revealed that everything in the physical is a spirit , a living spirit, I think this will change many, many hearts in regard to terminating The miracle of Conscious life at any stage.

Love Omnaka

I don't think it should be illegal.

I don't think people should do it.

Depends on the 'stage' of the 'baby'.

Depends on the circumstances of the abortion.

Mostly however I do not particularly care or see the big fuss. That may be a bit cold but when grown adults are dying in government/populace condoned wars I could really care less about a collection of cells in a lady's womb.

Disease, Famine, War, etc,....all take back seat to that all important issue of unborn babies. I don't see why.

Could you please explain why?

Thanks.

When I go to bed and wake back up. Right now, I am far too tired to explain.

Interestingly, I would probably be classified as both Pro-choice and Anti-Death Penalty. I don't see them as necessarily conflicting views.

As varied as the poll options might be, however, I think my approval, or otherwise, for abortion is subject to circumstance. Contraception, for example, is essentially pre-emptive abortion, and I'm certainly in favour of that.

The Death penalty, in my opinion , is also subject to circumstance. In general, I'm only in favour when there is absolutely no possible doubt that the person in question committed murder, such as incontrovertible video evidence. Like Norwood, in those cases, I'd also favour a quick death.

So vehement are the Pro-life and Death Penalty campaigners, however, that any deviation from "All Abortion is murder" and "All people convicted of murder must be killed" automatically places you within the opposing camp by default.

Very strongly against the death penalty, mixed feelings about abortion.

I would be active in trying to keep the death penalty out of Australia, but I don't care to engage in the abortion debate because firstly I don't feel strongly enough either way and second even if I did I don't have the right to try and force my will on anyone else.

I support abortion regardless of the circumstances. I do not support the death penalty in most cases.

Abolition of a woman's right to abortion, when and if she wants it, amounts to compulsory maternity: a form of rape by the State. ~Edward Abbey

Im pro-choice but I feel that women need some counseling before they make that decision. A hard long discussion is needed.

I feel abortion can be an emotional time bomb that can devastate if there is guilt or regret involved. It can also be devastating for the father. The quicker it's done the better.

I am for the death sentence ONLY if it's 100% positive (DNA) that someone murdered another in cold blood. Especially murderous sociopaths and serial killers. Alot of innocent people have been sent to their death.

Abortion - theoretically against it. Unless it is to save the life of the mother I cannot the killing of unborn babies. A rape-victim may be hurt by the rapist, but this is not sufficient reason to kill another being for this. Though from a purely social perspective, there are very few rape-victims who fall pregnant (though obviously it does happen). When we come right down to it, I do not support the "Her body, her choice" view. While it is most definitely "her body", it is also "the baby's body". So what we essentially have is "Baby's body, her choice".

However, I am completely against making abortion illegal. Abortion is part of our society whether we agree with it or not. Making it illegal will only push it underground which would make abortions much more dangerous, causing harm to baby and mother (perhaps even death to both). As such, while I would completely agree with any decision to abort a baby, I would not make it illegal.

Death Penalty - theoretically for it. The Death Penalty is an acceptable punishment for crime (some crimes, at the very very least). However, the person bringing judgement must be two things: 1- be able to see into the very heart of the person to gauge guilt; though many accused are guilty, there are those who are wrongfully imprisoned, even when it might seem an "open and shut case". 2- They MUST be free from all forms of crimes themselves; they cannot bring death on another if they themselves are in any way guilty of even the smallest thing, for they also must come under judgement.

As such, while I theoretically support the death penalty, I cannot ever support it in life since no one could ever fulfil these two criteria (though spiritually speaking I believe God could fulfil that - but we are not God and cannot take his place).

Just a few thoughts,

~ PA

For me abortion it really depends on the case as far as the death penatly goes IF the person charged with the crime is deemed 100% guilty you better believe it. However ( this is going to sound a bit harsh) I don't believe that they should sit in a prison for a number of years take em out back & put a bullet in thier head. Paying taxes for them to sit in prison is crazy just end it right there & then.
May I submit to you a quick question, norwood? A man is charged with murdering his wife and daughter. He confesses the crime to the police, telling them how he killed them and where the bodies could be found. As the case goes to court and it becomes apparent he will be found guilty, he changes his story and pleads total innocence. As he is questioned further, the story continues to change as the accused changes their story again and again, adding details to some versions, omitting them from others, and sometimes changing the entire story altogether.

Is this enough evidence to be deemed "100% guilty"? Thanks in advance for your response,

~ PA

May I submit to you a quick question, norwood? A man is charged with murdering his wife and daughter. He confesses the crime to the police, telling them how he killed them and where the bodies could be found. As the case goes to court and it becomes apparent he will be found guilty, he changes his story and pleads total innocence. As he is questioned further, the story continues to change as the accused changes their story again and again, adding details to some versions, omitting them from others, and sometimes changing the entire story altogether.

Is this enough evidence to be deemed "100% guilty"? Thanks in advance for your response,

~ PA

Thats a tough question you ask. Perhaps the man finally understands what is going to happen to him because he has confessed, & is scared of going to prison. I guess unless you have DNA showing that he's truly gulity then you can't be sure. I'm postive there are some innoccent people in prison but the court system saw it differently. Again it's a tough question you ask its even harder to anwser that with 100% accuracy.

This was actually a very good logic test.

Congratulations to those who chose by the case.

The case could be a woman eight and a half months pregnant.

Interestingly, I would probably be classified as both Pro-choice and Anti-Death Penalty. I don't see them as necessarily conflicting views.

As varied as the poll options might be, however, I think my approval, or otherwise, for abortion is subject to circumstance. Contraception, for example, is essentially pre-emptive abortion, and I'm certainly in favour of that.

The Death penalty, in my opinion , is also subject to circumstance. In general, I'm only in favour when there is absolutely no possible doubt that the person in question committed murder, such as incontrovertible video evidence. Like Norwood, in those cases, I'd also favour a quick death.

So vehement are the Pro-life and Death Penalty campaigners, however, that any deviation from "All Abortion is murder" and "All people convicted of murder must be killed" automatically places you within the opposing camp by default.

I'm with Tiggs.