Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Suicide Attack in Islamabad!

oldvariant42

28 die in latest northwest Pakistan offensive

By NAHAL TOOSI, Associated Press Writer

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - Pakistan's security forces pounded militant positions near strategic areas in a tribal region bordering Afghanistan, killing 25 suspected insurgents in a new round of a military offensive that also left three troops dead, officials said.

The battle in the Bajur tribal region comes as the nuclear-armed, Muslim nation struggles to recover from a massive suicide attack at the Marriott Hotel in the capital. Police said Saturday the death toll in the blast a week ago in Islamabad had risen by one to 54.

On Friday, security forces cleared militant compounds near Bajur's Rashakai and Loi Sam areas, army spokesman Maj. Murad Khan said, confirming the death toll. He said two of the three soldiers killed were officers.

The weekslong military operation in the Bajur tribal region has already killed more than 1,000 militants and some 66 soldiers, and officials say it could be another two months before the militant stronghold is under government control.

American officials say the tribal regions have turned into sanctuaries for al-Qaida and Taliban fighters involved in attacks on U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan. The U.S. has praised Pakistan for its Bajur offensive, saying it has helped reduce violence on the Afghan side of the porous border.

Pakistani officials say the insurgents had a stranglehold on the region prior to the offensive, basically setting up a parallel government.

The militants had converted schools into Islamic courts, imposed taxes on the timber and marble industries, and even arranged their own traffic control system.

"All families were asked to give their one male child to this movement, and this was done forcibly, and if somebody doesn't do it, his house would be destroyed," said Maj. Gen. Tariq Khan of the paramilitary Frontier Corps.

In a briefing of reporters visiting the region Friday on an army-organized trip, Khan showed photos of militant tunnel systems and trenches and said Bajur had become a "center of gravity" for all sorts of insurgents from throughout the region.

"My timeframe for Bajur is anything from between one-and-a-half to two months to bring about stability," Khan said.

The Bajur offensive, which began in early August, and ongoing military action in the northwest's Swat Valley have been coupled with a string of suicide bombings that the Pakistani Taliban claimed as revenge.

Analysts and experts say the Pakistani Taliban or al-Qaida could have been behind the hotel blast in Islamabad as well, though the top Pakistani Taliban commander has denied a role.

So far only a little-known group calling itself Fedayeen al-Islam, or Islam commandos, has claimed credit, calling on Pakistan to stop cooperating with the U.S. war on terror.

The blast wounded nearly 270 people. Khadim Hussain, an Islamabad police official, said the death toll had risen to 54. At least two Americans were killed in the blast, an a U.S. State Department contractor remains missing, the American embassy said.

Since the hotel blast, foreign aid missions and diplomats in Pakistan have reviewed security measures. On Friday, a group of diplomats met with Rehman Malik, the head of Pakistan's Interior Ministry, to get a briefing on enhanced security measures for their missions and personnel.

United Nations officials also met, and decided not to change their offices' current security status. A change by the U.N. — such as sending home family members or non-essential personnel — could have prompted other foreign-based groups to consider pulling people out as well.

The U.S. Embassy, meanwhile, said Saturday that it would reopen its visa and consular services on Monday after a two-day suspension of services. Routine services for American citizens also will resume, embassy spokesman Lou Fintor said.

___

Associated Press writers Munir Ahmad and Asif Shahzad contributed to this report.

Link : http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080927/ap_on_re_as/as_pakistan

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldvariant42

• Gustavo

• Moon Monkey

• stevewinn

It seems like Pakistan is getting its act together. shame its taken so long. when the taliban and Al Qaeda where/still are targeting NATO forces the Pakistani government didn't really care if the truth be known, they didn't really mind the militants crossing the border into the tribal area for a bit of R&R, but just to keep the US sweet the Pakistani Government would carry out a few raiding parties into the area, by sending a few soldiers every now and then to kill a few militants for nothing more than a tokenish gesture to keep the US partially pleased, which would mean the US dollars would keep flowing into Pakistan has part of an agreement to tackle the problem, but it seems to me, that all of a sudden after this bomb attack, the penny has dropped and now the Pakistani government is getting tough i guess its different when their own citizens are now being killed. its a funny old world.

@stevewinn

Our men have also been killed. But the main thing was the Tribal Clan Treaties. Tribes were not allowing our men to fight against them but now, All of these clans have koined with Army creating Ultimate Alliance...

I hope for the best....

And the reason for such change was that the Talibs were burning the houses of these tribes, destroying their schools/places. Using the tribal people as human shields as Steve said and things like that. It angered the Tribes and they joined us.

@stevewinn

Our men have also been killed. But the main thing was the Tribal Clan Treaties. Tribes were not allowing our men to fight against them but now, All of these clans have koined with Army creating Ultimate Alliance...

I hope for the best....

And the reason for such change was that the Talibs were burning the houses of these tribes, destroying their schools/places. Using the tribal people as human shields as Steve said and things like that. It angered the Tribes and they joined us.

Waiting For stevewinn and Gustavo to Reply here...

i have nothing to say. just thought i'd let you know, it saves you waiting ^_^

Waiting For stevewinn and Gustavo to Reply here...

Im glad to see a change in the approach Pakistan is taking. Its timely for us. We need help to win in Afghanistan so its a good thing. Every cloud has a silver lining and in the case of the terror attack in Islamabad, the silver lining is that the Pakistani public has woken with a new resolve. Godspeed clearing out the terrorists and Thank You! We support that cause.

Yup....Thanks for your support. MAy these cursed people suffer...Amen!

@Steve

Do you watch football? Torres is one of my favorites too:)

And according to l8st reports around 54 suiciders were caught from Islamabad with about 100Kg explosives.

And also about 25 areas of Talibs were washed out in Bajaur

And according to l8st reports around 54 suiciders were caught from Islamabad with about 100Kg explosives.

And also about 25 areas of Talibs were washed out in Bajaur

i just hope your government gets the job done. if they 'clean' the area up, we should see a reduction in the fighting in Afghanistan and maybe even Osama bin laden might put in an appearance or any number of his Cohorts.

yep i love footie, support Liverpool if you hadn't guessed already, and for Torres hes top class. you heard the Torres song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUjRQfJ3f74

i just hope your government gets the job done. if they 'clean' the area up, we should see a reduction in the fighting in Afghanistan and maybe even Osama bin laden might put in an appearance or any number of his Cohorts.

I Hope the same, May God be with us...

yep i love footie, support Liverpool if you hadn't guessed already, and for Torres hes top class. you heard the Torres song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUjRQfJ3f74

Yup, i guessed it. I support Man-U