Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Michigan Will Have A Real Race this year

Caesar

"Meanwhile, Macomb County is also up for grabs. Pollster Stan Greenberg, who helped Bill Clinton successfully tailor his message for Macomb voters in 1992, surveyed the county prior to the Democratic convention and found an electorate anxious over lost auto jobs, rising gas prices and high health-care costs. Their ideal presidential candidate? An "outsider, middle-class" senator, who feels their pain and their betrayal by America's economic and political elites, according to Mr. Greenberg.

Both Messrs. McCain and Obama are competing to fit that description, but so far Mr. McCain has a lead in Mr. Greenberg's polling, running ahead by seven points. "Obama is still an exotic candidate to this heavily white, socially conservative electorate," Mr. Ballenger told me.

Michigan's fading economy will remain the ace up Mr. Obama's sleeve. Union leaders are now rolling out a sophisticated, $300 million-to-$400 million electoral national campaign aimed at convincing blue-collar voters in Michigan and other states to vote Democratic out of economic self-interest.

That may not be enough. With union members now preparing for the new labor contracts to take effect in 2010, Mr. Obama's campaign is built on themes from the 1970s of greater benefits for less work that have lost their power. And Mr. McCain has his own ace in the Wal-Mart-shopping, union-worker-marrying, Caribou-hunting, PTA-member Sarah Palin"

Source and full article

If the Democrats cant win Michigan, they will need Florida and three others like Colorado, New Mexico, New Hampshire and Nevada. I think its that close

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caesar

• IrishAidan07

• msmischief

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No, we won't have a real race. Far too many African-Americans have now been registered by the Obama camp, I think an extra 40,000 or so this year, that don't participate in polls. Especially in Wayne County, about 90 miles South of me. They were talking about this on the local news tonight.

Edited by IrishAidan

No, we won't have a real race. Far too many African-Americans have now been registered by the Obama camp, I think an extra 40,000 or so this year, that don't participate in polls. Especially in Wayne County, about 90 miles South of me. They were talking about this on the local news tonight.

How can you say it won't be close if most polls list it as a toss up state?

Obama has slight edge on McCain in Mich.

Edited by Caesar

How can you say it won't be close if most polls list it as a toss up state?

I just told you there are 40,000 or so new registered voters in Wayne Country. Wayne County, for those of you unfamiliar with Michigan, is Detroit. Detroit is probably 90% African-American. Who, honestly, do you assume they are going to vote for? The vast majority don't participate in polls! I just watched a special about this on the news tonight.

Edited by IrishAidan

I just told you there are 40,000 or so new registered voters in Wayne Country. Wayne County, for those of you unfamiliar with Michigan, is Detroit. Detroit is probably 90% African-American. Who, honestly, do you assume they are going to vote for? The vast majority don't participate in polls! I just watched a special about this on the news tonight.

I could say the same here about North Carolina and the Mecklingburg county

I could say the same here about North Carolina and the Mecklingburg county

Might be true. Inner Cities are a huge portion of the vote, and most of the time they vote Democrat. And with Detroit being 90% African-American, you just need to remember what the father of J.C. Watts said, "A black man voting for a Republican is like a chicken voting for Col. Sanders."

J.C. Watts, by the way, is a Republican.

Edited by IrishAidan

I haven't been keeping up with how other states are likely to vote, but I do know that most of my husbands family (he's from Michigan) are in Obama's corner. My father in law voted republican the last 2 elections btw. Not that it should matter, but they are Caucasian. Also, some friends I still phone seem to like Obama as well. I realize they don't represent everyone in the state, just pointing out that the people I personally know from there, seem to be impressed with him.

Might be true. Inner Cities are a huge portion of the vote, and most of the time they vote Democrat. And with Detroit being 90% African-American, you just need to remember what the father of J.C. Watts said, "A black man voting for a Republican is like a chicken voting for Col. Sanders."

J.C. Watts, by the way, is a Republican.

Yes I know who he is. the inner cities always go democratic I agree they usually don't vote though. I know the state is having a very tuff time with leading in unemployment