Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If you're an animal lover

pendora

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• Bish815

• Incorrigible1

• Nxt2Hvn

Top Posters In This Topic

Que the "Who cares about animals!" people in 4...3...2...

Oh .... here we go!!!

I am a huge animal lover, have several different species of animals myself, foster for a local animal group, and donate money every year to different organizations helping animals......

(Here's where the "but" comes in)....

I am also an avid hunter, grew up hunting with my dad.

What most people don't understand is that some of the side effects of not hunting, being record deer populations which involves many car accidents, crop loss and eventually disease and famine within the deer population.

Hunting is a necessity.

I know this doesn't exactly address the article... but I had to defend hunters ... the ones that follow the rules that is ...

Edited by Nxt2Hvn

Not the kind of hunting Palin supports... She placed a bounty on wolves paws to slaughter at will. Just to name an example :hmm:

Oh .... here we go!!!

I am a huge animal lover, have several different species of animals myself, foster for a local animal group, and donate money every year to different organizations helping animals......

(Here's where the "but" comes in)....

I am also an avid hunter, grew up hunting with my dad.

What most people don't understand is that some of the side effects of not hunting, being record deer populations which involves many car accidents, crop loss and eventually disease and famine within the deer population.

Hunting is a necessity.

I know this doesn't exactly address the article... but I had to defend hunters ... the ones that follow the rules that is ...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I thought the article was a big waste of space. :sleepy: Personally I'd rather have a nice fat juicy med rare steak.

Medium rare, for me. A little freshly cracked black pepper and lots of garlic, thank you.

I forgot to mention, you'd probably change your mind about killing an animal if you had cats or live stock killed by another animal too. Like here coyotes are bad, there always taking someones pet or lives stock.

Edited by Bish815

I forgot to mention, you'd probably change your mind out killing an animal if you had cats or live stock killed by another animal too. Like here coyotes are bad, there always taking someones pet or lives stock.

Here too, farmers can openly kill any predator that is threatening their livestock.

Also, I live very near the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, and there is a very high population of Wild Boar, which is not native to this area. Some escaped a long time ago from settlers and have over populated. They actually have a special force of park rangers to deal with killing them.

Not the kind of hunting Palin supports... She placed a bounty on wolves paws to slaughter at will. Just to name an example :hmm:

People don't see that. They just think "Oh, she just likes to hunt deer, moose and carribue." Not the bounties on preditory animals that we've already damned near ground into extinction becuase them big bad TROPHY hunters need another mounted moose head in one of their country homes.

Food hunting is one thing. Yeah, I'm all for hunting deer and such *FOR FOOD* since I grew up where it was the norm. But never ever will I be ok with killing off preditors or trophy hunting. That's more of a waist then this article.

Most people here that hunts for trophy also eat the meat. I don't know of anyone who just trophy hunts.

A way to vilify hunters. They're all either Elmer Fudd or Simon Legree.

Medium rare, for me. A little freshly cracked black pepper and lots of garlic, thank you.

You like it exactly how I like it. :tu:

You like it exactly how I like it. :tu:

I failed to mention the desire for a cold microbrew or a glass of chilled Chardonnay.

I forgot to mention, you'd probably change your mind about killing an animal if you had cats or live stock killed by another animal too. Like here coyotes are bad, there always taking someones pet or lives stock.

I've had pets. And I lived where 'yotes were growing in numbers. Along with coydogs. My cats were both outdoor cats. One died of old age. The other.. was killed by a neighbor's dog. Infact more outdoor pets and livestock are killed by pet dogs then yotes. Shall we put a bounty on their heads as well? I have known a couple of livestock farmers back home. They lost more animals due to diseases and winter and someone's pet dogs then to wild preditors.

And even still, just because a wolf or a yote or a cougar nabs a cow or a sheep.. that isn't a reason to kill every last one of them. Or any of them. We have enough damned livestock.. And it *is* part of raising them. It comes with the territory. You take your chances. But then again, we probaly wouldn't be having this as such a "oh so horrible" issue if we didn't mow the preditors down, take over their territories, and compete with them for their "natural" food sources. (deer and the like)

A way to vilify hunters. They're all either Elmer Fudd or Simon Legree.

Actually I knew alot of people who killed just for the trophy and not the meat. Had a huge issue with people just taking hooves, heads and antlers, and leaving the meat and carcass out in the forest to rot.

So it's not vilifying them.. it's stating known experiance.

*edit* I are be gud typust

Edited by SilverCougar

There are open seasons on Coyotes as well as other predatory animals ... for the same reasons as deer - over population which leads to disease, car accidents and killing livestock.

I understand part of raising livestock is losing some to predators, but it if more often when there is an over population problem, so yes, if it becomes a common problem in an area, then open season should be and is allowed.

Dang ya'll are making my mouth water

:P

Yea. A nice wolf steakwould be nice. Then i'd hang his head on the wall.

Edited by Plainbob13

Yeah,Just last week I had to kill a coyote that tried to kill some chickens at night .I had gotten up when the geese started to make a lot of noise "mind you geese make good watch dogs" and sure enough there was a coyote trying to get to the chickens,at first I threw a brick at it but it didnt scare it away and it turned and growled at me so I shot it with my 12 gauge,Didnt like to do it but Had too.I love animals,all animals but sometimes inorder to protect the ones you care about you got to do what you got to do.

But as for Barack, We dont need that crumb cake in the white house.

I'm a bit amazed that this thread grew this quickly but the replies are good and well thought out without malice.

First, let me state that I'm not a vegan. Been there done that, didn't feel well ever on a vegan diet no matter how I tweeked it. I'm a meat eater.

My husband is a bow hunter. We love deer, venison, elk, etc. Love it!

I posted the letter because I thought it was interesting that being an organization that has never backed a pres. candidate, the HSofA decided to do so. Even with more than half their people being volunteers.

I fully support the Humane Society and the SPCA

I do NOT support Peta in any way shape or form. I feel deeply about that having been both involved with the org. and outside of it, too.

My husband gets really disgusted because a good many of the hunters he meets at events and such are trophy hunters, with no regard for the population of the animal or the meat of it.

Many hunters do either donate the meat or give it to friends.

I would like to see the work of the Humane Society continued, with as much support from Washington as possible. I don't care if it takes electing Jeff Corwin.

You're all good folks and no matter the divide on political issues, I'm betting we all have hearts for the work the HS does. I'd like to see it continue, with all the help it can get.

Pendora

And even still, just because a wolf or a yote or a cougar nabs a cow or a sheep.. that isn't a reason to kill every last one of them. Or any of them. We have enough damned livestock.. And it *is* part of raising them. It comes with the territory. You take your chances. But then again, we probaly wouldn't be having this as such a "oh so horrible" issue if we didn't mow the preditors down, take over their territories, and compete with them for their "natural" food sources. (deer and the like)

"We" aren't raising livestock, are "we?" You're quick to spend the farmer's/rancher's money by allowing wholesale predation of their livestock. How big of you, to volunteer up someone else's valuable property!

Well maybe the hunters who stay in the US are more responsible, but the ones who come up here include probably the most incompetent, trigger happy, morons who ever graced the earth. No concept of gun safety, fire at anything that rustles in the bushes, fire across a lake etc. Only good thing is that the meat is always either eaten or given away. My mephew is now a hunting guide and he has already got a wealth of stories on Yankee hunters

"We" aren't raising livestock, are "we?" You're quick to spend the farmer's/rancher's money by allowing wholesale predation of their livestock. How big of you, to volunteer up someone else's valuable property!

Its always easier to be high and mighty with someone else's money.