Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

glorybebe

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fylgja

• Plainbob13

• Michelle

• Sherapy

Of all the things off-the-wall and random about this, I know this is probably nit-picking - but as a parent, I had to laugh when I read this in PETA's letter to Ben & Jerry's:

The late Dr. Benjamin Spock, America's leading authority on child care, spoke out against feeding cow's milk to children, saying it may play a role in anemia, allergies, and juvenile diabetes and in the long term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease-America's number one cause of death.

Ummm, if I remember reading correctly in MANY articles, Dr. Spock's theorys have been found out to be mostly unhelpful, and incorrect. I also remember reading somewhere that he had even said himself, toward the end of his life, that a lot of what he had said was found to be incorrect.

So for these people to use him as a "leading authority" in thier argument (when his 'information' is AT LEAST 20 years out-of-date), just shows how rediculous they are. If nothing else, that they'll say anything to make their "point".

:rolleyes:

The name of the group means people for the ethical treatment of animals no where in the groups name does it mention or even hint at the brain power of its members. It is plain, to me anyway, that they never watched the episodes of Star Trek concerning the use of logic. For they never display any logical thoughts...

First of all, I consider PETA to be something of a clandestine domestic terrorist organization. I've written on UM about my run in with PETA who attacked an old lady in front of my eyes, then set her Major Mitchell's cockatoo free in a parking lot, where the VERY rare bird was instantly killed by a passing car. No kidding. These people don't care about animal OR human life.

Second, if they had HALF a brain in their heads, they'd know that the FDA would NEVER approve human breast milk in any food product. Hell, they don't even approve it as a commercial substitue for babies! Ben and Jerry's couldn't use human breast milk even if they wanted to! Is PETA insane and painfully stupid?? Of course they are.

Third, if PETA were really serious about eliminating dairy and animal protiens from foodstuffs, they'd urge Ben and Jerry's to make more sorbets, sherbets, ices, and other dairy-free frozen treats. Breast milk? That's just IGNORANT to think that anyone would take that seriously. But I don't think PETA is sincere or serious about much of anything except making pet owners and omnivore humans lives miserable.

Although, when they aren't busy beating up old ladies and killing animals, they're good for a laugh.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Yea they are some nut jobs. They rank right up there with the E.L.F fruitcakes.

I'm convinced PETA and ELF are directly tied to each other.

we have a lot of problems with ELF out here in Seattle and area... they're SCARY... and I think PETA funds them on the sly.

I'm neither disgusted or outraged. I just can't see how enough human milk could be obtained to satisfy demand. I love milk.

id just love to see what kind of milking machine they were thinking of implimenting for the women who would be the (jersey cows) milkees?

peta are a bunch of nonsensical twits.. and that is putting it mildly.. if i said what i really felt about that so called organisation i reckon id be kicked off here toot sweet. they have no idea what-so-ever.

ps.. i think the only weird thing is that we are the only mammal to keep drinking milk long after we are weaned, and not from our own breed. not that it bothers me.. bring on all the dairy i say.

WTF? Need I say more?

WATERBURY, Vt. -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace cow's milk they use in their ice cream products with human breast milk, according to a statement recently released by a PETA spokeswoman.

"PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves," the statement says.

PETA officials say a move to human breast milk would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health.

"The fact that human adults consume huge quantities of dairy products made from milk that was meant for a baby cow just doesn't make sense," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "Everyone knows that 'the breast is best,' so Ben & Jerry's could do consumers and cows a big favor by making the switch to breast milk."

"We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child," said a spokesperson for Ben and Jerry's.

link

EEEWWWWW!!! PETA needs to stop now, they are just going way way too far. Weirdos.

You can read teh letter they sent to B&J at the link.

Yes they have gone too far sticking there noses where it dont belong.There is one of those people living down the street from me who called the police on me for walking my dog with a leash,said it was crule for me to do so,He ran out of his house and tried to take the leash off my dog and I had to fight the guy off,when the police came the arested the guy for assult and destrubing the peace.Someone thew a brick thew his window with a note saying something like if he didnt quit messing with people he would be killed,scary for him but he doesnt mess with anyone anymore,No I didnt do it,got better scense then that.besides I'd be the first one the police would look at .still I hate those people.Breast milk instead of cow milk,YUK.how dare they even send that stupid letter.

Excellent idea, of course there's gonna be some small minded bigots being childish and crying "ewww!" then go into their kitchen to cook shoat, fasces, and ******* (AKA burgers and sausage). Will these people ever learn to evolve? “Unlikely”. They’ll keep rejecting goodness until they, and all who rely on them for support, wither and die, for not using their brain to sustain their body and the things around them, “Shame”.

Those who are against it are small minded bigots? From what you say here, I must say that YOU sir are the bigot for labelling any oppossition as such. Learn to accept others' opinions

Yeah. They'd never get enough volunteers for this anyway. :l

Alot of women would just be appalled by the idea.

And there's no way people would like the change in taste. :l

It's just a bad idea all around. Cows aren't good for much else besides feeding animals higher on the food chain. There's no point in defeating their purpose.

I would LOOOOOVE to be able to sit in on one of the PETA meeting where they come up with this crazy crap.

I can just see it now, A bunch of crazy people sitting in a board room trying to outdo one another with outrageous radical suggestions that they think they should demand on the world.

These people lack complete reasoning skills and common sense. :blink:

Now I'm hungry! A nice big burger! :P

linked-image

Hey Plainbob ya want to come over for dinner,Going to slaughter a big ol juicy cow and cut me some big ol juicy steaks and then maybe roast a fat juicy pig for desert.

Hey Plainbob ya want to come over for dinner,Going to slaughter a big ol juicy cow and cut me some big ol juicy steaks and then maybe roast a fat juicy pig for desert.

I'M THERE BUDDY! I'll bring the beer!

Can I come too, that burger looks great.

WOW! I'm a Nazi! I just LOVE putting a yummy animal in a oven!

Guess that make me a nazi too, I too like the taste of fresh animal flesh ,RARE and still dripping in blood,Nothing like the taste of freshly cut cow,lamb or pig,can you smell it cooking over an open flame.mmmmmmmmmmmmm animal meat all cooked tender.mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Can I come too, that burger looks great.

Yep guess I'll invite you too just for the pleasure of having a bunch of hungry meat lovers feast.If you notice on that burger there is also BACON.MMMMMMMMMMMM.Now thats what we like,Meat topped with meat with a side of meat.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,Hey just dont bring salad.

Guess that make me a nazi too, I too like the taste of fresh animal flesh ,RARE and still dripping in blood,Nothing like the taste of freshly cut cow,lamb or pig,can you smell it cooking over an open flame.mmmmmmmmmmmmm animal meat all cooked tender.mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Don't forget rabbits, squirrels, pheasants, and all types of fish!

Don't forget rabbits, squirrels, pheasants, and all types of fish!

And lamb chops!

linked-image

Reminds me of Borat...

Yaes... the cheese is made of milk

I think PETA has a great idea. There are human breast milk ice creams already anyway. It'd be great if more people found out about this. Men and women both could help alleviate the conditions of dairy cows by using the milk that they can lactate THEMSELVES. Imagine the possibilities. If Little Billy wants ice cream all he need do is extract the milk from his own teat, add sugar and vanilla, and put it into the ice cream maker.

:lol:

It might even be a pretty good diet aid for people with unrelenting sweet tooths since they will simply be consuming their own fluids...

Mmmmmmm......(drool) Lamb (drool)

Crap, it's 2 am and now I want a burger or a big steak. I'm thinking steak and eggs for breakfast now! :D

"We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child," said a spokesperson for Ben and Jerry's.

Wow, see, they get it! Human milk is for baby human's and cow's milk is for baby cows! I'm so glad everyone agrees. ;)

Edited by fylgja

Okay, I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if I am reiterating a point. My Uncle had a dairy farm and I helped out on it from time to time. THere was nothing wrong with milking cows. Cows milk and Humans milk is very different and contain different nutrients. Hence we have Baby formula and do not feed our sick infants Cow's milk. Has anyone ever tried making Cheese out of Human Milk as opposed to Cow's milk? It is very different and the enzymes are not present in Humans milk. Don't get me wrong, it can be done, but it takes more work and the addition of ingredients. One other point I would like to bring up is the amount of blood in the human milk, which can lead to the passing of blood born pathogens.

Epic fail.

Hitler believed that the Jews were inferior too.

Nazi

Godwin's Law. You fail. After all PETA already believes that Jews are just like chickens.

You know compared to other stuff that PETA has pulled this is rather tame. Still just shows their continued believe that animals should be treated as good, if not better, than humans. They were a good group doing good work but they've since been taking over by the nut jobs who want everyone to be vegans.