Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Killed sergeant's family asked Obama

Caesar

"Barack Obama played the "me too" game during the Friday debates on September 26 after Senator John McCain mentioned that he was wearing a bracelet with the name of Cpl. Matthew Stanley, a resident of New Hampshire and a soldier that lost his life in Iraq in 2006. Obama said that he too had a bracelet. After fumbling and straining to remember the name, he revealed that his had the name of Sergeant Ryan David Jopek of Merrill, Wisconsin.

Shockingly, however, Madison resident Brian Jopek, the father of Ryan Jopek, the young soldier who tragically lost his life to a roadside bomb in 2006, recently said on a Wisconsin Public Radio show that his family had asked Barack Obama to stop wearing the bracelet with his son's name on it. Yet Obama continues to do so despite the wishes of the family."

Source and full article

Will the main stream media repoirt this?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caesar

• eqgumby

• SQLserver

• danielost

Who really cares?

Thanks for reminding us that the Onion was right in reporting that the most important issue to voters in this election is BS!

Here's a fact, Cesear:

US troops abroad donate 6 TIMES more to Obama then to McCain. This gives us a real hint on who they actually favor.

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008/08/tr...ad-give-61.html

So I hope we can stop babbling about bracelets as if they are important what-so-ever to the election and focus on some real issues.

Cheers,

SQLserver

To be honest, wearing it at all kind of creeps me out. I know we ought to have respect for our soldiers, and give them what they need, but this . . . it strikes me almost as if they're carrying it like some type of totem. It's like the flag pins; it's supposed to be patriotic, but it really doesn't mean anything compared to actually being a real patriot.

From the AP

Soldier's mother ``ecstatic'' about Obama's bracelet

By DINESH RAMDE | Associated Press Writer

4:28 PM CDT, September 28, 2008

MILWAUKEE - The mother of a Wisconsin soldier who died in Iraq says she was "ecstatic" during Friday's debate when Senator Barack Obama mentioned the bracelet she gave him in honor of her son.

Tracy Jopek of Merrill told The Associated Press on Sunday she was honored that he remembered Sgt. Ryan David Jopek, who was killed in 2006 by a roadside bomb.

She criticized Internet reports that suggested Obama exploited her son for political purposes.

She acknowledges e-mailing the campaign in February asking that Obama not mention her son in speeches or debates. But she says Obama's mention on Friday was appropriate because he was responding after Senator John McCain said a soldier's mother gave him a bracelet.

Jopek says Obama's comment rightfully suggested there's more than one viewpoint on the war.

Edited by pendora

Who really cares?

Thanks for reminding us that the Onion was right in reporting that the most important issue to voters in this election is BS!

Here's a fact, Cesear:

US troops abroad donate 6 TIMES more to Obama then to McCain. This gives us a real hint on who they actually favor.

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008/08/tr...ad-give-61.html

So I hope we can stop babbling about bracelets as if they are important what-so-ever to the election and focus on some real issues.

Cheers,

SQLserver

opensecrets.org wow great source

From the AP

Soldier's mother ``ecstatic'' about Obama's bracelet

MILWAUKEE - The mother of a Wisconsin soldier who died in Iraq says she was "ecstatic" during Friday's debate when Senator Barack Obama mentioned the bracelet she gave him in honor of her son.

Tracy Jopek of Merrill told The Associated Press on Sunday she was honored that he remembered Sgt. Ryan David Jopek, who was killed in 2006 by a roadside bomb.

She criticized Internet reports that suggested Obama exploited her son for political purposes.

She acknowledges e-mailing the campaign in February asking that Obama not mention her son in speeches or debates. But she says Obama's mention on Friday was appropriate because he was responding after Senator John McCain said a soldier's mother gave him a bracelet.

Jopek says Obama's comment rightfully suggested there's more than one viewpoint on the war.

LOL it doesn't get any stranger then this

Isn't wearing a bracelet for one soldier some kind of favouritism? Like I remember this dead soldier more than the rest? If you're going to wear a bracelet(and you supported the war), you should be made to wear one for each soldier, civilian and contractor who has died so far in that conflict.

Not such a gimmick now is it?

Isn't wearing a bracelet for one soldier some kind of favouritism? Like I remember this dead soldier more than the rest? If you're going to wear a bracelet(and you supported the war), you should be made to wear one for each soldier, civilian and contractor who has died so far in that conflict.

Not such a gimmick now is it?

You know I've always felt the same way. Its like what makes that soldier so special. Like when they singled out the passenger on Flight 93 or that girl during the Columbine shootings for saying "yes" to Jesus. Its just tacky in my opinion. :(

As the story suggested, the mother of the fallen soldier asked Obama to wear it. What's he s'posed to say? "Thanks, but no thanks?" "If I wear your son's bracelet, I'll end up having to wear all the soldier's bracelets, and that would hurt my arms?" It's just a gesture of respect--nothing more, nor less. Do we really have to make rules for this stuff? Can we suspend P.C. perfectionism long enough for people to grieve however they see fit? If a mother wants to give a candidate a bracelet to remember her son by, where's the harm???

LOL it doesn't get any stranger then this

I absolutely agree, Caesar. It doesn't get any stranger then posting an irrelevant, pointless story that is wrong and misleading to begin with.

opensecrets.org wow great source

I know it is! Here are some more reporting the same fact.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-soltz/de...o_b_118987.html

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h5FiNn...WUBX6GMFvu524Qg

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...9-12335,00.html

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=08...;show_article=1

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080814/military_donations.html

http://theiraqinsider.blogspot.com/2008/08...es-more-to.html

Just give it up dude.

Cheers,

SQLserver

wear a bracelet is fine, I just think its odd how they told him not mention her son in speeches or debates he does anyways and its fine? why did she even tell him not to wear it?

wear a bracelet is fine, I just think its odd how they told him not mention her son in speeches or debates he does anyways and its fine? why did she even tell him not to wear it?

I don't think you are very observant. Here's a hint:

Go back and read the thread again. It isn't very long.

You know what, you aren't going to, so I'll do it for you

"Soldier's mother ``ecstatic'' about Obama's bracelet

Jopek says Obama's comment rightfully suggested there's more than one viewpoint on the war."

You're welcome.

Cheers,

SQLserver

I don't think you are very observant. Here's a hint:

Go back and read the thread again. It isn't very long.

You know what, you aren't going to, so I'll do it for you

You're welcome.

Cheers,

SQLserver

I don't think you understand my posts

I don't think you understand my posts

I think you are making a ridiculous mountain out of a molehill.

She says she supports Obama.

She says that she supports Obama's decision to use the braclet in the debate.

And She criticizes those who are spreading such claims as you are.

What else is there to it?

Not to mention that this is total nonsense. It has nothing to do with the issues of the presidential election whatsoever. It is the kind of BS that has taken over our media...

And then that's also not mentioning that this has no relevance about which candidate troops support more; As we already concluded, the evidence shows that troops vastly support Obama.

So can you please explain where you are going with this?

Cheers,

SQLserver

I think you are making a ridiculous mountain out of a molehill.

She says she supports Obama.

She says that she supports Obama's decision to use the braclet in the debate.

And She criticizes those who are spreading such claims as you are.

What else is there to it?

Not to mention that this is total nonsense. It has nothing to do with the issues of the presidential election whatsoever. It is the kind of BS that has taken over our media...

And then that's also not mentioning that this has no relevance about which candidate troops support more; As we already concluded, the evidence shows that troops vastly support Obama.

So can you please explain where you are going with this?

Cheers,

SQLserver

My point is how the hell can you tell Obama not to do something and he does it anyways

I was a Marine and I don't know anyone in Iraq that supports Obama. I think this is another topic for another discussion that has been discussed so many times already. I think those polls were done when the Iraq war was in question if we would win or not.

I was a Marine and I don't know anyone in Iraq that supports Obama. I think this is another topic for another discussion that has been discussed so many times already. I think those polls were done when the Iraq war was in question if we would win or not.

First of all, these aren't "just some more" polls. It is a cold, hard, factual comparison of the amount of money troops have donated towards Obama vs the amount donated towards McCain.

Second of all, they are a lot more reliable then your personal account, no offense. I can't believe you communicate with and know the political positions of more then 15 troops in Iraq, tops.

My point is how the hell can you tell Obama not to do something and he does it anyways

*shrugs* Why does it matter what-so-ever? The mother still supports his using it.

First of all, these aren't "just some more" polls. It is a cold, hard, factual comparison of the amount of money troops have donated towards Obama vs the amount donated towards McCain.

Second of all, they are a lot more reliable then your personal account, no offense. I can't believe you communicate with and know the political positions of more then 15 troops in Iraq, tops.

Yes these are dollars, it kinda reminds me of the Ron Paul donations but he got nothing in terms of votes

Even if I had 100 personal accounts it doesn't mean that Obama didn't have more support then McCain. just because he raised more money that doesn't mean more people support Obama. also, most of the polls that I've seen most showed more support from Marines then any other branch for McCain/Bush

*shrugs* Why does it matter what-so-ever? The mother still supports his using it.

Either they are black or Obama paID THEM. thats my opinion

Yes these are dollars, it kinda reminds me of the Ron Paul donations but he got nothing in terms of votes

True, this is because, of course, Paul supporters are utterly fanatic.

However, Ron Paul did not raise 6 times more then any other candidate, just a bit more, which was surprising just because of the few votes he obtained.

More troops for Obama:

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Story?id=4244798&page=1

True, this is because, of course, Paul supporters are utterly fanatic.

However, Ron Paul did not raise 6 times more then any other candidate, just a bit more, which was surprising just because of the few votes he obtained.

More troops for Obama:

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Story?id=4244798&page=1

I think Ron Paul raised 3 or 4 times as much as McCain but I guess we will see if this turns into votes

Either they are black or Obama paID THEM. thats my opinion

Or the mother gave permission and the father doesn't like it. Or your source got it wrong. Or it was a misunderstanding. Or, or, or. If your version of the story has any cred, it sure sounds like a family squabble getting aired in public by an sensation driven press.

But no, Occam's razor points to Obama paying the mother off! :no: Jesus, Caesar, if your son had died in Iraq and you'd been dishonored by a candidate, how much money would entice you to not only deny the disrespect but to say that you approve and support the jerk? You entertain some mighty cynical notions about a woman you never met who's son recently died for our country.

Or the mother gave permission and the father doesn't like it. Or your source got it wrong. Or it was a misunderstanding. Or, or, or. If your version of the story has any cred, it sure sounds like a family squabble getting aired in public by an sensation driven press.

But no, Occam's razor points to Obama paying the mother off! :no: Jesus, Caesar, if your son had died in Iraq and you'd been dishonored by a candidate, how much money would entice you to not only deny the disrespect but to say that you approve and support the jerk? You entertain some mighty cynical notions about a woman you never met who's son recently died for our country.

How the hell can they tell Obama not to do it, and when he does it they are happy. something doesn't seem right here