Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Michelle Obama .... Racist?

Nxt2Hvn

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nxt2Hvn

• Sherapy

• Leonardo

• Whangarei

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it looks like the information circling the web about Michelle Obama's thesis is true ....

Here check out the link

Michlle Obama Thesis / Snopes

Hvn, without reading the thesis itself in its entirety one cant make this determination..or would..... because some who knows who on 'snopes' says this doesn't make it fact hon...

Well it looks like the information circling the web about Michelle Obama's thesis is true ....

Here check out the link

Michlle Obama Thesis / Snopes

Sheri has a valid point regarding not being able to read the thesis in it's entirety so any judgement on whether the content of it amounts to racism must be held in abeyance. However, from reading the snippets on the Snopes site I would say it does not appear to be racist in any way, but seems to be dealing with questions of integration (on both sides of the divide) and could be considered controversial.

From the last chapter and knowing the propensity of out-of-context quotes being used in political campaigns as part of dirty tactics I can see why the thesis would be made unavailable.

Sheri has a valid point regarding not being able to read the thesis in it's entirety so any judgement on whether the content of it amounts to racism must be held in abeyance. However, from reading the snippets on the Snopes site I would say it does not appear to be racist in any way, but seems to be dealing with questions of integration (on both sides of the divide) and could be considered controversial.

From the last chapter and knowing the propensity of out-of-context quotes being used in political campaigns as part of dirty tactics I can see why the thesis would be made unavailable.

leo, your posts are lyrical to me.... its like listening to Chopin for me reading you... :wub:

great point, not to mention Princeton 25 years ago probably was predominately white as the article said....She was also a young college student who was sharing of her experiences a the time..i also did not see anything remotely racist based on the snippets provided.....

to attend an ivy league here in the US for anyone says alot for you....and speaks volumes to me ..

Edited by Tangerine Sheri

I agree, this means nothing. More scare tactics. Anyone with half a brain can see Michelle Obama is an intelligent well spoken driven lady. I can't wait until she's first lady!!!

Okaaay.... here is the thesis in it's entirity.

Here is a PDF version of it.

Michelle Obama's Thesis

and here is the site I got it from.

Link/Source

Interesting!

And I feel it is remarkably shallow and she misses out on addressing some critical points which would undermine her argument.

I'd like to stress I have only skimmed the thesis, so I may have missed some details, but it doesn't appear to me to be indicative of any underlying racism, but it does indicate the author has a very heightened sense of the separation of races. This could also be in part down to the academics which have influenced her; academics I wholeheartedly disagree with in their theory of integration.

Take this from Carmichael and Hamilton, from her thesis...

The concept of Black Power rests on

the fundamental premise: Before a

group can enter the open society, it

must close ranks. By this we mean

that group solidarity is necessary

before a group can operate effectively

from a bargaining position of strength

in a pluralistic society.

What complete and utter rubbish!

Closing ranks will only heighten a groups' sense of difference in a society, thus preventing (or at least prolonging) any attempt at successful integration.

Michelle Obama really should have reasoned why there is this sense of loss of their previous community by those black people who integrated into pluralistic society by identifying the separation of that previous community. She sees those blacks who lost the sense of wanting to contribute to 'Black Society' as then contributing to 'White Society' - sorry, Michelle, but I would have failed you for this assumption alone. Why assume the society outside 'Black Society' must be 'White'? It is the pluralistic society those black people now devote their contribution to.

I don't see Michelle Obama as a racist, Nxt2Hvn, based on this...but certainly a whinger!

PS: I also saw lots of grammatical and spelling errors. Shame!!!!

Edited by Leonardo

leo, your posts are lyrical to me.... its like listening to Chopin for me reading you... :wub:

:blush:

Such a compliment! I am humbled by such a comparison. Thank you, Sheri!

*don't stop the compliments though*

:P

I forgot to mention that she actually asked Princeton not to release her thesis to the public until after the election. That is really what brough attention to this ... so from what I see, is that she thought the general public would read "racism" into the thesis.

I don't know what I actually think about it yet ... still mulling it over ...

I posted for everyone else to be able to read it and come to their own conclusions.

Just in reading what I have read so far... it is clear to me she is looking at how attitudes affect experiences and how it seems she is set up a study to see if its attitude that perpetuates division and how can that be changed........

i so see this so far as a exploration in sociology and its effects and outcomes and how can it be changed if it can be....

if anything she was considering how to bridge the gap between the black and white alumni, through understanding and social responsibility...

If anything i see this as very positive and optimistic thesis ...

the reader will bring their own biases to the evaluation that has to be accounted for and figured in also .... IMO

Edited by Tangerine Sheri

Having read her thesis...I've come to the conclusion (during that time of her life) you couldn't really win with her.

If you were white and nasty, you're racist. If you were nice to her.. it's only to hide your racism.

That kind of mentality.

Whether it's a sign of those times and now she's changed, I don't know..

Edited by Bill Hill

Okaaay.... here is the thesis in it's entirity.

Here is a PDF version of it.

Michelle Obama's Thesis

and here is the site I got it from.

Link/Source

Amazing what following links will do for people, huh? LOL. I found the entire thesis within 45 seconds of opening the Snopes link.