Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vice Presidential Debate

IrishAidan07

I figured a thread like this was going to be opened tomorrow night anyway, so I decided I would open one now and share a New York Times Video (yes, video) of Biden & Palin's debating styles. A very fair video, I feel.

http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=ebfa...8598d8b02b3dcbb

Just navigate to the correct video. You'll know it when you see it.

Edited by IrishLexie

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• MID

• SilverCougar

• IrishAidan07

I got the impression from this video, Irish, that Biden is going to find it very difficult to win the debate. It seems there will be public sympathy towards Palin if he debates aggressively - mainly because the spin on her being "an ordinary working folk (woman)", yet he will be accused of condescension if he restrains himself.

Do the American public want to see whether Palin can take real political heat, or do they just want someone "nice and cutesy" as the VP?

I got the impression from this video, Irish, that Biden is going to find it very difficult to win the debate. It seems there will be public sympathy towards Palin if he debates aggressively - mainly because the spin on her being "an ordinary working folk (woman)", yet he will be accused of condescension if he restrains himself.

Do the American public want to see whether Palin can take real political heat, or do they just want someone "nice and cutesy" as the VP?

My opinion is that we will have to wait for the debate, before we can make up our minds -- and even then -- it will only be a debate; "not" really showing up the qualities of either candidate.

That be as it may -- the public will probably form an "instant judgment" of both of them. ;)

Karlis

I don't know, to be honest. I think most people like it when they go to bed at night knowing their leader is like them. That they understand their needs, wants, et cetera... I think in this election, however, voters would do well to listen to the differing stances on issues rather than personality. There is a lot at stake here. I despise Joe Biden, but currently I think he would be a better VP than Palin. Palin hasn't proven to me that her positions would be good for the country. I'm hoping, however, she'll prove it tonight.

I know I didn't think conservatism could be beautiful until Palin. LOL.

I think people make way too much of the Republicans' current control of public opinion. Just as McCain's "suspension" of his campaign was supposed to make Obama look bad "no matter what" and in reality only served to make McCain look like a grandstanding political hack, so this fabricated double-bind for Biden will amount to nothing.

Public sympathy for Palin is plummeting. Palin has been entirely unable to give the impression that she knows much of anything about anything. What little credibility she has left is absolutely on the line in tonight's debate. What makes y'all think she'll suddenly blossom into a policy wonk over night? When asked what periodicals she reads regularly--a softball question if ever there was one--she said "Oh, all of them." What kind of answer is that? Either she simply doesn't read, or she's so bizarrely paranoid about her image that she can't afford to give us even that much information about herself. The woman has way, way too much to hide to be a fluid speaker on the National scene.

The worst we'll see from Biden is that same blinking astonishment we saw from Gibson and Couric at the cartoonish, sophomoric, obfuscation for which Palin is now becoming infamous.

"Oh, all of them." What kind of answer is that? Either she simply doesn't read, or she's so bizarrely paranoid about her image that she can't afford to give us even that much information about herself.

ROTFFLMFAO.

Did she really say that?

The other danger for this is that the mod. will go softly on the lady and much harder on the gent. To prove that she wasn't being biased toward Biden.

The worst we'll see from Biden is that same blinking astonishment we saw from Gibson and Couric at the cartoonish, sophomoric, obfuscation for which Palin is now becoming infamous.

Which, given the context of a 35 year national political career, is pretty bad.

Not only is Palin's credibility on the line tonight, the entire viability of the McCain campaign is as well.

Edited by Cleomenes

HK, I just watched the video.

It's pretty sad. I hope she will show improvement tonight.

Yeah, in her interview with Katie Couric. Watch the video and weep.

http://gawker.com/5057211/palin-reads-all-...-and-newspapers

...really...you read the KKK quarterly? Penthouse forum? Where's Waldo?

She is obviously not reading anything to do with Supreme Court judgments (Besides Roe/Wade of Course)...or anything to do with specifics of what her running mate has done in his career, or how the claim at the top of her resume(Being next to Russia and Canada as a foreign experience) is really tough to explain...

She knows "Joe Six Pack" though, doesnt she?(Even though she owns 5 homes and an airplane) boy that is critical isnt it? because we certainly need a person second in power to the most important position in the country who can relate to heavy beer drinkers dont we? Perhaps in time we can move forward and in 2012 or 2016 we can get a blue collar political tour where we have bumper stickers that read: You know you are a redneck presidential candidate when..." Who cares if the president can fix the problems of the country as long as they can bowl and drink, right?

At this point the bar is set so low for her, as long as she does not pass out or vomit she will be able to consider it a win. Even if she does pass out, it can be blamed on Biden and his overbearing style. It would be spun as a benefit.

This whole thing has become ridiculous. I'd love to see a woman in the white house too...but I want it to be a qualified woman.

The issue with the Palin/Couric dialogue is that Palin expected to be interviewed but Couric planned a gotcha cross-examination.

Waiting for similar treatment for Biden, but that will never happen..............

I have a sneaking suspicion that Palin will do a lot better than most people imagine. Unless they make her take off the headset, of course.

Just imagine if Hillary would have been the vice presidential nominee ... She would be able to be more aggressive and would destroy her.

(I'm not a fan of Hillary, but noone can deny she's a very smart and knowledgeable woman)

anyways, I'll surely tune in to this debate, I'd like to see Palin make a fool of herself again, and I also would hope Biden does a few gaffes for my entertainment ^_^

Edited by zitro1987

Yeah, in her interview with Katie Couric. Watch the video and weep.

http://gawker.com/5057211/palin-reads-all-...-and-newspapers

The video is priceless but the article underneath it and about it is completely false. She didn't say she reads four year old magazines in the dentist to keep up and she didn't say she doesn't know what the morning after pill is.

Just imagine if Hillary would have been the vice presidential nominee ... She would be able to be more aggressive and would destroy her.

Hillary would destroy any of the four in a debate. I don't like her political positions, but I'd much rather have her running the country than the four we got handed too us.

The issue with the Palin/Couric dialogue is that Palin expected to be interviewed but Couric planned a gotcha cross-examination.

...because Palin couldn't name one specific news source? I don't think that question was meant to stump her. I don't know how it could be misconstrued as part of "a gotcha cross-examination."

...because Palin couldn't name one specific news source? I don't think that question was meant to stump her. I don't know how it could be misconstrued as part of "a gotcha cross-examination."

Palin "couldn't name one specific news source"?

At what point was this in the interview? I saw Couric press for specifics, and Palin reply that she read and had access to many sources, not naming any one in particular.

Where did Palin fail the 'name a newspaper' test, as you put it? I didn't see that.

Palin "couldn't name one specific news source"?

At what point was this in the interview? I saw Couric press for specifics, and Palin reply that she read and had access to many sources, not naming any one in particular.

Where did Palin fail the 'name a newspaper' test, as you put it? I didn't see that.

I believe 'not naming any one in particular' would qualify as not naming a specific news source, rideron.

I haven't watched any of the debates as of yet--but I will tune in to watch this one--should be gooood.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Palin will do a lot better than most people imagine. Unless they make her take off the headset, of course.

Put your "special" helmet on, she's going to wipe the floor with Biden.

"I may not answer the questions as you or the moderator may like but I'm talking to the American people!" -Palin, 30 seconds ago

What? lol

I was moving furniture so I only tuned in at around the 40 minute mark, so I'm not sure how it was up until then..

But Sarah... its time for a reality check..

They DONT hate you because of your FREEDOMS and "TOLERANCE"...

EDIT: OMFG?

Did she just smile saying both she and biden "LOVE ISRAEL"?

ROFL!

Edited by InHuman