Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vice Presidential Debate

IrishAidan07

Put your "special" helmet on, she's going to wipe the floor with Biden.

Strangely enough, I mailed it back to you, a few days ago. There's an election coming up shortly.

Get used to disappointment.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• MID

• SilverCougar

• IrishAidan07

Near the end of the debate - the question was put to them about if they had had to change or compormise their pov about an issue to accommodate changed circumstance.

Biden waffled on about judicial ideology. A cerebral monlogue that will probably cause most people to go to sleep.

Palin stated she didn't have to compromise as "we have always found a way to work together"? So, what is compromise then?

Near the end of the debate - the question was put to them about if they had had to change or compormise their pov about an issue to accommodate changed circumstance.

Biden waffled on about judicial ideology. A cerebral monlogue that will probably cause most people to go to sleep.

He basically said, in a roundabout way, that he had learned how important ideology is in picking Supreme Court judges. I could argue that that is a rather unpleasant way to think about Judges that are ostensibly supposed to be unbiased, but I can understand where he was coming from. It was a legitimate example, even if it made him look okay.

Palin stated she didn't have to compromise as "we have always found a way to work together"? So, what is compromise then?

Palin repeated a hash of talking points that had little to do with the question, like she did for large parts of the debate.

He basically said, in a roundabout way, that he had learned how important ideology is in picking Supreme Court judges. I could argue that that is a rather unpleasant way to think about Judges that are ostensibly supposed to be unbiased, but I can understand where he was coming from. It was a legitimate example, even if it made him look okay.

I agree it was a valid example, however it wasn't the sort of example that will 'connect' with the American public.

Here's some more reaction from over the pond.

There are some classics in there!!!!! :lol:

One of my favourites:

Palin keeps using phrases like "Hockey stick Moms" & "Joe 6-pack" to connect with 'real' people - I am still trying to work out what Hockey stick mom implies but Joe 6 pack seems to say "The good ordinary decent drunkard couch potato fathers of America we understand you"

Surely American see themselves in a less patronising more positive light? Perhaps I am missing something cultural here and otherwise sensible folk in the US do actually aspire to being a sort of binge drinking Ken and Barbie?

A political commentator here in Australia stated that these pre-election debates between Vice Presidential candidates very rarely influenced American voters, when it came to their vote for President.

I wonder if this is true?

Karlis

ah now for my critique -

Well they coached her well . She didn't run from the stage crying or say ' I'll get back with you on that'.

But what Palin did bring was extremely scripted. She reminded me of someone off the movie Fargo . Someone trying to act Shakespeare while interjecting 'ya know' every once in a while. That's where you could see the inconsistency . What was hers' and what wasn't.

I know she skipped at least 2 questions . One being 'What is/would be your Achilles heel as VP'. She went off on some other tangent repeated before without answering the question. same words. same programming. as well as her lowering taxes in Alaska - she more than doubled the taxes on oil production causing a severe decline in production.

taxes on oil production Nor could she define how McCain was different from Bush.

Yet she did exceed didn't she ? I gotta give her and the coaching staff credit.

I would have loved to have seen Biden gut her like one of those moose she loves to field dress , but I also understand his reserve. I'm surprised he didn't go off. I think his pressured smile was actually him gritting his teeth. He didn't need to make her look bad to score points. Didn't need to state the obvious.

While Palin did better than anyone expected and she really did .. still no winner.

Sen. Biden?

I think he's too old. er..Sen BiOLDen

Who the hell said anything about this meaning she is qualified? How many people have been spouting that she is dumb as a box of rocks? Tonight, I think, proved otherwise. She can be prepped all day. Nobody knew the questions Iffle was going to ask.

The questions Iffle asked should've been expected and the candidates should've been prepared to answer. There were no curve balls. Questions about economics, foreign policy, war, health care, and energy should be expected and therefore prepped to answer. Some "debaters" dodged these basic legitimate questions.

Blowing a kiss to the audience, winking, and saying "dogone" and "heck" at the debate was too much "folksy" for me...it seemed rehearsed rather than genuine. I watched her at a post debate pro-Palin get-together and she seemed very genuine there though. I am pleased however that both candidates did well during the debate.

Edited by SoCrazes

Look, Joe Biden is a seasoned Senator, and did well last night, as did Governor Palin. Two completely different people, one having debated numerous times and one who had a first. As far as Palin winking, blowing kisses or even farting at the podium (which we don't know if she did), that's her way. Folksy yes, different yes, a winner, I'm not sure. So we can sit here and say Biden and Palin should have said this or that, or curved around some questions, but the bottom line is that this election is a hot one, definitely holding our country's interest and come November, those opposed or for either candidate will have to live with who is elected. Like it or not, the vote will be in and then we shall see...

Issues and policies aside, I would give the win to Biden. They clearly both had positives. But when it comes to negatives, I think that Palin had more. Several times when asked questions, she started talking about totally non-related issues. And her responses seemed very rehearsed. I know that they all are. But Biden seemed to articulate his answers clearer and they were easier to comprehend. They seemed to flow better. Palin came very close to having "mush-mouth" several times. And I did catch a glimpse of the " deer in the headlights look ". But only a glimpse. She was able to pull through it.

But from the beginning I gave the edge to Biden simply for his experience in debating. Palin is new to this. In a point spread I would have given Biden a seven point advantage.

Palin did good for herself though. She held her own. Good job for her.

Reading through all the replies to this thread .... I was of course not surprised at all.

The same die-hard liberals sided with Biden and didn't even give Palin a chance.

I will be the first to admit that I was rather nervous for Palin with all the negative attention the media has given her in the last few weeks, but I was surprised at how well she did. Biden did well also, but of course I don't agree with anything that the Obama/Biden ticket represents, but he did do well.

Another thing, picking on the way she says Nulcear ... why? I just said it out loud and actually I pronounce it closer to the way Palin pronounced it. I get picked on all the time for the way I talk ... doesn't mean I am less intelligent than the next person. Talking about grasping at straws just to try to dis-credit someone ..... but whatever works for you guys! :tu:

No bias,actually.I treat everyone the same...until they show me what they truly are by their words,deeds...etc.

I started "reading" people because of an innate curiosity.I just wanted to know what signs to look for to see if someone was being truthful or lying their hind ends off.It's worked for me for many years,and as I stated,no one has to acknowledge it.You may rank it in "personal opinion" if you wish,but for me it's a bit of very useful knowledge that has kept me alive and out of bad situations. :tu:

Edit: Oh,and just for the record...I really don't care for any of this election's prospects.I'd rather write in "Daffy Duck".

Agree with you there, we would be better off with Daffy Duck. There's nothing wrong with reading people. Lots of people do,and as you say, it can keep you out of a lot of trouble.My late father was like you in that respect,able to read people and situations.It's agood trait to have,especially nowadays.

This is gonna sound really superficial, but were those red pumps Palin was wearing? :lol:

OMG the debate must have been boring :blink:

I liked the way she handled her self on the debate. She done a lot better than what she had been doing when she first entered this race. But also the way she held her self as a working mom and how she talked about how to handle working and being a mother to her kids and a wife to her husband, it all hit a lot of people at home. Palin has got my vote. Although she may not have a lot of other people's votes but hey, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Either way I say good luck to both parties and we'll just have to wait until November 4, 2008 to see who wins this compain.

I thought Palin did a marvelous job. She came off as a warm, smart, down to earth everyday woman.

And of course instead of admitting she did do a great job, you say she was over prepped. I will guarantee there has never been on candidate that has been running for office that has NOT been prepped before a debate. It would be stupid not to. Biden was prepped, Obama has been prepped and McCain has been prepped. And NONE of them came off as likable as Palin did last night. Even democrats were admitting that she did a WONDERFUL job. You can be prepped all you want but you have to know what you are talking about and be believable and she was.

People do not give her credit where credit is due, she is a smart women, she has gone up against Large corrupt corporations and didn’t back down, she is NOT the push over or dumb *** that everyone is trying to make her out to be.

Most of you never even knew who she was, or anything about her until a few weeks ago. Now you all are experts on her faults. You can find anything you want about the opposing party and bring out the negatives.

I don’t see any other news interviews where they ask Obama or Biden tough questions, they are all soft interviews with padded questions. No one has put either one of them on the spot, it’s easy to sit in your glass house and throw stones.

No one has even mention that Biden had his "FACTS" completely wrong at least 10 times last night, and they are facts that anyone can check and see. He out right lied about McCain’s voting record. You would think he would have a fact checker before going on a debate.

OMG the debate must have been boring :blink:

I'm a photographer! I notice detail. I just find it odd that a vp canidate would wear red heals to a debate.

Biden's continuous and obvious lies were a bit hard to sit through, Palin did well but only in the sense that the media demonized her so much all she had to do was show she knew a bit about the issues and in turn show she was better than expectations of her.

...really...you read the KKK quarterly? Penthouse forum? Where's Waldo?

She is obviously not reading anything to do with Supreme Court judgments (Besides Roe/Wade of Course)...or anything to do with specifics of what her running mate has done in his career, or how the claim at the top of her resume(Being next to Russia and Canada as a foreign experience) is really tough to explain...

She knows "Joe Six Pack" though, doesnt she?(Even though she owns 5 homes and an airplane) boy that is critical isnt it? because we certainly need a person second in power to the most important position in the country who can relate to heavy beer drinkers dont we? Perhaps in time we can move forward and in 2012 or 2016 we can get a blue collar political tour where we have bumper stickers that read: You know you are a redneck presidential candidate when..." Who cares if the president can fix the problems of the country as long as they can bowl and drink, right?

At this point the bar is set so low for her, as long as she does not pass out or vomit she will be able to consider it a win. Even if she does pass out, it can be blamed on Biden and his overbearing style. It would be spun as a benefit.

This whole thing has become ridiculous. I'd love to see a woman in the white house too...but I want it to be a qualified woman.

I thought that bordered on the insulting as well. I am surprised to have not heard more about it from her critics or people in general.

No one has even mention that Biden had his "FACTS" completely wrong at least 10 times last night, and they are facts that anyone can check and see. He out right lied about McCain’s voting record. You would think he would have a fact checker before going on a debate.

PALIN: Said of Democratic presidential candidate Obama: "94 times he voted to increase taxes or not support a tax reduction."

THE FACTS: The dubious count includes repetitive votes as well as votes to cut taxes for the middle class while raising them on the rich. An analysis by factcheck.org found that 23 of the votes were for measures that would have produced no tax increase at all, seven were in favor of measures that would have lowered taxes for many, 11 would have increased taxes on only those making more than $1 million a year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PALIN: Criticized Obama's "plan to mandate health care coverage and have universal government run program" for health care, and added: "I don't think it's going to be real pleasing for Americans to consider health care being taken over by the Feds."

THE FACTS: Wrong on several counts. Obama's plan does not provide for universal coverage, only mandates insurance for children and doesn't turn the system over to the government. Most people would still get private insurance through their work. Obama proposes that the government subsidize the cost of health coverage for millions who have trouble affording it and he'd set up an exchange to negotiate prices and benefits with private insurers — with one option being a government-run plan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PALIN: "Two years ago, remember, it was John McCain who pushed so hard with the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac reform measures. He sounded that warning bell."

THE FACTS: Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska led an effort in 2005 to tighten regulation on the mortgage underwriters — McCain joined as a co-sponsor a year later. The legislation was never taken up by the full Senate, then under Republican control.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PALIN: Said the United States has reduced its troop level in Iraq to a number below where it was when the troop increase began in early 2007.

THE FACTS: Not correct. The Pentagon says there are currently 152,000 U.S. troops in Iraq, about 17,000 more than there were before the 2007 military buildup began.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PALIN: Said Alaska is "building a nearly $40 billion natural gas pipeline, which is North America's largest and most expensive infrastructure project ever to flow those sources of energy into hungry markets."

THE FACTS: Not quite. Construction is at least six years away. So far the state has only awarded a license to Trans Canada Corp., that comes with $500 million in seed money in exchange for commitments toward a lengthy and costly process to getting a federal certificate. At an August news conference after the state Legislature approved the license, Palin said, "It's not a done deal."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PALIN: Said a McCain-Palin administration "will support Israel," including "building our embassy ... in Jerusalem."

THE FACTS: Moving the U.S. Embassy from its present location in Tel Aviv to Jerusalem is a perennial promise of presidential candidates courting the Jewish-American vote. In fact, moving the embassy is actually required by U.S. law. But successive administrations of both parties, including George W. Bush's, have made the same pledge only to find that the realities of Middle East peacemaking have forced them to invoke a waiver to delay it. Jerusalem is claimed as a capital by both Israel and the Palestinians and Israel's occupation of east Jerusalem is not internationally recognized. The city's status is one of the key issues of disagreement in peace negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians.

SOURCE (Includes Biden screw-ups too)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biden's not the only one screwing up facts. Doesn't anyone get it?!! This is what politics is about, saying as much BS about the opposition as possible to make sure they don't get elected.

Obama, McCain, Biden, Palin. All are sprouting BS because thats the aim of the game.

Edited by Splodgenessabounds

SOURCE (Includes Biden screw-ups too)

LMAO ... I was getting ready to say .....

(I read this earlier this morning so I knew there were Biden misleadings as well ... and I was getting ready to post his)

Palin did pretty good nothing stellar though. She was staring at the telepromter with a look of fear that it might wink out. I found her no different than Bush, if Mccain wins it will just be another four years of Bush policy. That stupid wink was annoying, her fake down home attitude made me want to slap her around a bit. She doged the hard questions or the ones she wasn't preped for. As was said befor the joe-six pack (insulting) the "we both love Israel" bit was laughable and well a bit presumptuous. She did show a 100% improvement so good on her for that, to bad she won't be plugged in or have a teleprompter to guide her when she does her next interview. Biden should have showen a bit more teeth and growled a bit louder. He let Palin off easy :P Ok OK just so the righties don't get all up in my face about dissing Palin, she did look pretty darn hot ;) Oh and I'm a conservative to boot.

At the end of the day, the american people will have to vote on who's lies (spin) sound more believable.

A political commentator here in Australia stated that these pre-election debates between Vice Presidential candidates very rarely influenced American voters, when it came to their vote for President.

I wonder if this is true?

Karlis

I'll have to find a link, but I was reading stuff yesterday that say's just this, all the fluff aside, the VP debate has minimal if any influence on the actual vote. Unless of course, you throw in some unique difference like one being a Woman, that could be very good or very bad...but it's still not expected to be that big of an influence again, if any. I guess we'll have to see at the end of this road seeings how it's a new precedent.

I'm a photographer! I notice detail. I just find it odd that a vp canidate would wear red heals to a debate.

She should have told Biden so they could be twinners! That would have garnered them a few more viewers! (Maybe a whole 'nother set of voters...)