Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vice Presidential Debate

IrishAidan07

A political commentator here in Australia stated that these pre-election debates between Vice Presidential candidates very rarely influenced American voters, when it came to their vote for President.

I wonder if this is true?

Karlis

It is. Lloyd Bentsen (the Democratic VP in 1988) handed the Republican VP Candidate Dan Quayle his *** in the Vice Presidential Debate in 1988, yet Dukakis went on to get annihilated on election day. Vice President Dick Cheney pretty much mopped the floor with Democrat John Edwards in the 2004 Vice Presidential Debate, yet it made virtually no difference in the polls.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• MID

• SilverCougar

• IrishAidan07

Reading through all the replies to this thread .... I was of course not surprised at all.

The same die-hard liberals sided with Biden and didn't even give Palin a chance.

I will be the first to admit that I was rather nervous for Palin with all the negative attention the media has given her in the last few weeks, but I was surprised at how well she did. Biden did well also, but of course I don't agree with anything that the Obama/Biden ticket represents, but he did do well.

Another thing, picking on the way she says Nulcear ... why? I just said it out loud and actually I pronounce it closer to the way Palin pronounced it. I get picked on all the time for the way I talk ... doesn't mean I am less intelligent than the next person. Talking about grasping at straws just to try to dis-credit someone ..... but whatever works for you guys! :tu:

I think Palin is a good speaker after she has been rehearsed for days, yet she really didn't seem to know McCain at all or much about budgets or foreign affairs ......she is really a small town girl who relys on her feminne wiles winks and all..

.....where biden is savvy in foriegn affairs and his canidate..... ...

.i did feel a bit of knowing on her part with energy but it is really geared towards drilling ...I think she is just not abreast of the many things she should be for this position.......... ........

In many ways i think for Palin she may of got some of the negative light off of her for a time but she didnt help mcmcian at all ..... ......she just is not VP material not at this point..

I was moved by biden when he taked about losing his wife and son and having a son in iraq and he chocked up i was really touched by his humanity and for me tthat drove the win of Obama home..Not to mention Joe is just brilliant and it show...s

I was not happy iwth him as VP but any concerns i had have been layed to rest.......

Palin did pretty good nothing stellar though. She was staring at the telepromter with a look of fear that it might wink out. I found her no different than Bush, if Mccain wins it will just be another four years of Bush policy. That stupid wink was annoying, her fake down home attitude made me want to slap her around a bit. She doged the hard questions or the ones she wasn't preped for. As was said befor the joe-six pack (insulting) the "we both love Israel" bit was laughable and well a bit presumptuous. She did show a 100% improvement so good on her for that, to bad she won't be plugged in or have a teleprompter to guide her when she does her next interview. Biden should have showen a bit more teeth and growled a bit louder. He let Palin off easy :P Ok OK just so the righties don't get all up in my face about dissing Palin, she did look pretty darn hot ;) Oh and I'm a conservative to boot.

a good debater adjusts to the level of intellegence of his opponent, IMO it would of seemed arrogant and mean to go after a person who clearly is not savvy in debate..if you do that than noone listens to your ideas they get hung up on how nasty you are...

biden helped Obama with the debate helped him in ways that matters... with .'VOTES..."

Palin is really a naive small town girl she seemed terrified. she is not a strong confidnet lady as many tout her to be..Hilary is a strong lady she sort of sets the standards for strong .. . IMO .............

Edited by Tangerine Sheri

a good debater adjusts to the level of intellegence of his opponent, IMO it would of seemed arrogant and mean to go after a person who clearly is not savvy in debate..if you do that than noone listens to your ideas they get hung up on how nasty you are...

biden helped Obama with the debate helped him in ways that matters... with .'VOTES..."

Palin is really a naive small town girl she seemed terrified. she is not a strong confidnet lady as many tout her to be..Hilary is a strong lady she sort of sets the standards for strong .. . IMO .............

I have to agree and say Biden did do a good job holding back. I just wanted to see some good old mud flinging face to face from both sides. Might have caught Palin off gaurd and made her stumble a bit, ya I'm mean lol. She did look pretty scared!

I have to agree and say Biden did do a good job holding back. I just wanted to see some good old mud flinging face to face from both sides. Might have caught Palin off gaurd and made her stumble a bit, ya I'm mean lol. She did look pretty scared!

i just thought she was bold to even want to debate him, I tip my hat to her for trying, but I tip my hat more to him for his composure few that are truly of intellegensia would bash an opponent that had no experience..it says alot about him as as man and he didnt need to his savvy spoke for itself.....IMO... he is fair minded...and willing to listen...i if you are gonna learn the art of debate hes the man to learn from....

she was terrified IMO...

That stupid wink was annoying, her fake down home attitude made me want to slap her around a bit. She doged the hard questions or the ones she wasn't preped for. As was said befor the joe-six pack (insulting) the "we both love Israel" bit was laughable and well a bit presumptuous.

I agree that her whole "down home" attitude is purely fake.It's a shame that many will be suckered in by it.

I also agree about the "Joe Six-Pack"...that was a not-so-subtle insult which many would not catch.

People need to wake up and quit buying into the fake platitudes.

...really...you read the KKK quarterly? Penthouse forum? Where's Waldo?

She is obviously not reading anything to do with Supreme Court judgments (Besides Roe/Wade of Course)...or anything to do with specifics of what her running mate has done in his career, or how the claim at the top of her resume(Being next to Russia and Canada as a foreign experience) is really tough to explain...

She knows "Joe Six Pack" though, doesnt she?(Even though she owns 5 homes and an airplane) boy that is critical isnt it? because we certainly need a person second in power to the most important position in the country who can relate to heavy beer drinkers dont we? Perhaps in time we can move forward and in 2012 or 2016 we can get a blue collar political tour where we have bumper stickers that read: You know you are a redneck presidential candidate when..." Who cares if the president can fix the problems of the country as long as they can bowl and drink, right?

At this point the bar is set so low for her, as long as she does not pass out or vomit she will be able to consider it a win. Even if she does pass out, it can be blamed on Biden and his overbearing style. It would be spun as a benefit.

This whole thing has become ridiculous. I'd love to see a woman in the white house too...but I want it to be a qualified woman.

:tsu::nw::clap:

Palin did pretty good nothing stellar though. She was staring at the telepromter with a look of fear that it might wink out. I found her no different than Bush, if Mccain wins it will just be another four years of Bush policy. That stupid wink was annoying, her fake down home attitude made me want to slap her around a bit. She doged the hard questions or the ones she wasn't preped for. As was said befor the joe-six pack (insulting) the "we both love Israel" bit was laughable and well a bit presumptuous. She did show a 100% improvement so good on her for that, to bad she won't be plugged in or have a teleprompter to guide her when she does her next interview. Biden should have showen a bit more teeth and growled a bit louder. He let Palin off easy :P Ok OK just so the righties don't get all up in my face about dissing Palin, she did look pretty darn hot ;) Oh and I'm a conservative to boot.

I also felt like slapping her around a bit. So phony.

I feel the "Joe-six pack" comments also to be very insulting to the average American. What a stereotype !!

i just thought she was bold to even want to debate him, I tip my hat to her for trying, but I tip my hat more to him for his composure few that are truly of intellegensia would bash an opponent that had no experience..it says alot about him as as man and he didnt need to his savvy spoke for itself.....IMO... he is fair minded...and willing to listen...i if you are gonna learn the art of debate hes the man to learn from....

she was terrified IMO...

Some here have stated that the VP debate has little influence on the overall vote, but for me last night sealed it. Of the two evils I would have to vote Obama/Biden after that debate. There is no way she is ready to be VP let alone President, which could very well happen. Ya Biden has a history of being somewhat of a pitbull in the debate field, I was surprised by his resraint as well,and good for him. With out the teleprompter and the ear piece I truely believe she would have gaffed on every question. To me Biden came off the winner hands down. Palin just read right off the teleprompter not an independant thought came out of her mouth. Now if America wants a ventriloquist for a VP cool, better vote Mccain.

The funny thing is I didn't watch the Canadian debate last night lol Canadian politics is so dry/dull. Watching American politics makes our system seem so much simpler lol

I also felt like slapping her around a bit. So phony.

I feel the "Joe-six pack" comments also to be very insulting to the average American. What a stereotype !!

It did seem pretty odd that she would insult 90% of America and then ask for there vote. Yup phony forsure and man I'm having a hard time thinking some people thought that she was genuine :blink:

I'm Joe six pack... and I'm happy. All I want is a nice smile and a cheeky wink, and Palin supplied that.

My critique of the overall debate is as follows,

1, It was a bit.. blah blah, blahdly blah... know what I mean?

sniff..

I'm Joe six pack... and I'm happy. All I want is a nice smile and a cheeky wink, and Palin supplied that.

sniff..

You sure you don't live in a red county in the USA and just pretend to be British?

sniff..

Sorry, a "Joe Six Pack" would never say "Cheeky"...you gave up your location right off the bat. :P

You sure you don't live in a red county in the USA and just pretend to be British?

It was like the opposite of the McCain/Obama debate..

Joe Biden couldn't take his eyes off Palin.

Then again he's only human.

Well, at least I think he is... His smile's a bit strange..

I’m surprised no one has said anything about her “shout-out” that she did. How unprofessional can you get? It brought to mind an annoying 15 year old on MTV’s TRL:

“Like, OMG, I totally, like, want to give a huge shout-out to, like, all my friends back home in The Clem! WOOOOOO!!”

Do we really want someone like this as our VP? It’s just sad.

And I agree 100% that she was terrified. I’ve been Hard of hearing my whole life (deaf in my right ear and about 50% lost in my left). So I read people’s face and listen to their tone of voice when I can’t tell what they are saying, and I heard fear and saw anxiety.

Sorry, a "Joe Six Pack" would never say "Cheeky"...you gave up your location right off the bat. :P

yep I'm the British version of joe-six pack. ;)

I didn't realise that Americans don't use the word cheeky..

It's a good word.

cheeky

(UK, Canada) impertinent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Briti...merican_English

link

I’m surprised no one has said anything about her “shout-out” that she did. How unprofessional can you get? It brought to mind an annoying 15 year old on MTV’s TRL:

“Like, OMG, I totally, like, want to give a huge shout-out to, like, all my friends back home in The Clem! WOOOOOO!!”

Do we really want someone like this as our VP? It’s just sad.

And I agree 100% that she was terrified. I’ve been Hard of hearing my whole life (deaf in my right ear and about 50% lost in my left). So I read people’s face and listen to their tone of voice when I can’t tell what they are saying, and I heard fear and saw anxiety.

I fail to see how easing the mood a bit is being unprofessional. Candidates joke and laugh at debates all the time these days. If Biden had done something similar, would you sing the same tune?

Edited by IrishLexie

Yup.

Yup.

They accomplished what their parties wanted: both did well in presenting themselves on national tv without hurting the campaign. Therefore, both won this debate.

I don't think you can analyze this as a true debate...it wasn't set up as so. However, if forced to, I'd say that - Palin didn't do as well as Biden in adding substance to their responses and Paling didn't answer a lot of questions.

A side point, I wish Palin, or anyone else, wouldn't say "Joe Six Pack" - it makes me ill. For some reason, it evokes the image of an unshaven-drunk guy in a dingy white tee-shirt who just finished beating his wife.

Edited by SoCrazes

I don't think you can analyze this as a true debate...it wasn't set up as so. However, if forced to, I'd say that - Palin didn't do as well as Biden in adding substance to their responses and Paling didn't answer a lot of questions.

I don't understand this drive to expect the VP (or President) to be a walking encyclopedia of domestic and forgein knowledge. That what they have advisors and secretaries of this-and-that for!

Do you think the CEO of General Electric or IBM or 3M etc know how the shop floor manufacturing process works? Or the principles behind this-or-that product? Heck no! They know how to organize people and run a business group. The rest they have VP's and Directors for.

Same with the President and VP.

A side point, I wish Palin, or anyone else, wouldn't say "Joe Six Pack" - it makes me ill. For some reason, it evokes the image of an unshaven-drunk guy in a dingy white tee-shirt who just finished beating his wife.

She speaks like any man on the street would which is why she is so beloved. She doesn't talk down to people. She doesn't act like she's better than those she seeks to lead. She isn't trying to impress anyone with a pedigree.

Lie.

No lie. If Biden did a goofy "shout out" to people in mid answer, I'd still have been facepalming and going all "Oh ffs..."

I fail to see how easing the mood a bit is being unprofessional. Candidates joke and laugh at debates all the time these days. If Biden had done something similar, would you sing the same tune?

Before this debate I have never seen Biden talk, I knew nothing about him. If he did a shout-out I would have said the same thing. It is unprofessional.

I keep hearing “She has a great personality”

I think people are failing to see this is a Presidential election NOT a personality contest. Voting for someone because you like their personality and not because of their stance, in my opinion, is one of the stupidest things one can do.

It is. Lloyd Bentsen (the Democratic VP in 1988) handed the Republican VP Candidate Dan Quayle his *** in the Vice Presidential Debate in 1988, yet Dukakis went on to get annihilated on election day. Vice President Dick Cheney pretty much mopped the floor with Democrat John Edwards in the 2004 Vice Presidential Debate, yet it made virtually no difference in the polls.
Thanks for the answer, Guardsman, Blondigeist,

So, if "these pre-election debates between Vice Presidential candidates very rarely influenced American voters, when it came to their vote for President", then what is the purpose of these debates? Do such debates (broadcast nation-wide) simply "introduce ???" these individuals to the average American, without affecting their vote to any great extent?

If that is true for the VP debate, then to what extent do the three debates by the contenders for the Presidency influence voters? How strongly is the average voter's ballot influenced by these debates?

Politics is a strange game, is it not? :huh:

Karlis