Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moderater for VP debate

Sho_Sho

Is it just me, or do you find that Gwen Ifill may have a hard time being objective at the VP debate?

If she is writing a Pro Obama book, and the book will be released around the election date, and the success of that book will rise with Obama being elected, doesn’t it seem a little "special interest" for her to moderate the debate and be tougher on Palin than Biden?

I know if you are wanting Obama to win you will probably think No, she should be able to go ahead and moderate.

But for the sake of fairness on BOTH VP candidates It would really be a breath of fresh air to get an unbiased individual moderating the debates.

Every time I see an interview with Palin or McCain the interviewer doesn’t even hide their snideness towards them.

I can’t even watch t.v anymore without hearing McCain/Palin being slammed, so it would be nice to be able to watch the debate on a level playing field for once!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlindMessiah

• Guardsman Bass

• Incorrigible1

• Aztec Warrior

Well Maccain and Palin have both put bullseye's on there backs themselves and are rightfully being slammed IMO. I did not know the moderator VP debate was a pro-Obama supporter and if thats thats the case than yes it would be somewhat biased and they should pick someone else. Guess we won't know till tommorow night how fair the debate is. My guess is Palin will crack and come off looking incapable of running a country such as the U.S. with out a biased moderator and Biden will come out looking good from a lack lust performance thanks to Palin.

I just hope Biden's helicopter isn't forced down by enemy fire.....................

We need a fair and balanced moderator, someone like Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity. <_<

We need a fair and balanced moderator, someone like Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity. <_<

I always laugh out loud when I hear those words in the same sentence :lol:

The moderator for Thursdays debate, Gwen Ifill, did not disclose her bias toward Obama and is certainly not a neutral journalist. She is an open advocate of liberal Democratic philosophies, candidates and policies and should be replaced.

The premise of her book on Obama is supposedly an observation on him as being the first accomplished Black politican to achieve recognition and success in spite of his being an African American.

Some Black Politicans and leaders apparently unworthy of Ifill's time or attention; and not fitting her definition of 'notable success':

Clarence Thomas - First black Supreme Court Justice

Condelezza Rice - First Black woman National Security Advisor and First Black woman Secretary of State

James C. Watts - First black Chairman of a major Party (Republican)

Ken Chenault - CEO, American Express. First Black CEO of a Fortune 10 company

Colin Powell - First black Secretary of State, Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff (oh, sorry now that he endorsed Obama he is bookworthy).

Only liberal black political leaders that are worthy of her attention, interest and support.

Edited by rideron

Funny. Would you consider Ifill fair and balanced? Given the fact she stands to benefit, financially, should Obama win the election?

Or maybe someone like Oberman or Chris Mathews. :rolleyes:

I think she should be replaced, but I don't think this should be a cop out when Palin does horrible in the debate. Oh excuse me, if she does horrible :rolleyes: Not that I expect Biden to do well mind you

Every time I see an interview with Palin or McCain the interviewer doesn’t even hide their snideness towards them.

You're allowed to be snide to someone who is such an obvious political gimmick.

The moderator for Thursdays debate, Gwen Ifill, did not disclose her bias toward Obama and is certainly not a neutral journalist. She is an open advocate of liberal Democratic philosophies, candidates and policies and should be replaced.

The premise of her book on Obama is supposedly an observation on him as being the first accomplished Black politican to achieve recognition and success in spite of his being an African American.

Some Black Politicans and leaders apparently unworthy of Ifill's time or attention; and not fitting her definition of 'notable success':

Clarence Thomas - First black Supreme Court Justice

Condelezza Rice - First Black woman National Security Advisor and First Black woman Secretary of State

James C. Watts - First black Chairman of a major Party (Republican)

Ken Chenault - CEO, American Express. First Black CEO of a Fortune 10 company

Colin Powell - First black Secretary of State, Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff (oh, sorry now that he endorsed Obama he is bookworthy).

Only liberal black political leaders that are worthy of her attention, interest and support.

Funny how none of those people have been the presidential nominee. And being selected as the token black guy/girl in an administration doesn't really count as success to me.

:rofl:

Hey, at least they don't chant the mantra of Fair and Balanced, Fair and Balanced. :P

(Then again, Bush Is Evil is an equally annoying mantra)

O'Reilly is usually fair. He's an arrogant, obnoxious, idiot, but he's usually fair. Sean Hannity however is a rabid dog that needs to be put down.

As for the OP, it would be absurd to let someone who has publicly endorsed a candidate to moderate. We'll have a repeat of the republican primaries.

I've never seen Mathews but Oberman is getting put down for rabies too.

Funny how none of those people have been the presidential nominee. And being selected as the token black guy/girl in an administration doesn't really count as success to me.

:rofl:

So you're claiming that Colin Powell is unqualified and only got to such a high position because he's black? That's not racist or anything.

O'Reilly is usually fair. He's an arrogant, obnoxious, idiot, but he's usually fair. Sean Hannity however is a rabid dog that needs to be put down.

As for the OP, it would be absurd to let someone who has publicly endorsed a candidate to moderate. We'll have a repeat of the republican primaries.

How can we know O'Reilly wouldn't try to shout down both candidates though?

So you're claiming that Colin Powell is unqualified and only got to such a high position because he's black? That's not racist or anything.

That's not what I said and you know it. He lead one of the most devastating wars the US has been engaged in, that's qualification to me, but he was also irrational enough to fall for his administrations BS so I guess it evens out.

How can we know O'Reilly wouldn't try to shout down both candidates though?

Ya, it'd be a godsend to Obama and McCain. Palin and Biden can't have any gaffes if O'reilly is the moderator.

That's not what I said and you know it. He lead one of the most devastating wars the US has been engaged in, that's qualification to me, but he was also irrational enough to fall for his administrations BS so I guess it evens out.

It was implied. You said he was a token appointment. Look at how that sounds. He also bailed out on the administration because he realized they had gone astray. Better to fix a mistake than continue head first.

It was implied. You said he was a token appointment. Look at how that sounds. He also bailed out on the administration because he realized they had gone astray. Better to fix a mistake than continue head first.

Then I take it back about Powell, but I still haven't seen what Condoleeza Rice did before or since to earn her position.

EDIT: Just realized I've derailed the thread. Realistically, is there anyone objective enough to moderate a debate like this? What if you get someone who hasn't made public their preferences for the election and they manage to skew the coverage in one direction or the other? It doesn't help to have someone who's pro either candidate, so they should find someone else, like a foreign journalist with no strong opinions either way.

Edited by Cradle of Fish

Ifill was the moderator for the 2004 Vice Presidential Debate between Dick Cheney and John Edwards. Wikipedia has the questions they were both asked for the debate (keep in mind that it is wikipedia), so take a look at them and decide if she was being biased:

1. Vice President Cheney, there have been new developments in Iraq, especially having to do with the administration's handling. Paul Bremer, the former head of the Coalition Provisional Authority, gave a speech in which he said that we have never had enough troops on the ground, or we've never had enough troops on the ground. Donald Rumsfeld said he has not seen any hard evidence of a link between al-Qaeda and Saddam Hussein. Was this approved—of a report that you requested that you received a week ago that showed there was no connection between Abu Musab al-Zarqawi and Saddam Hussein?

2. Tonight we mentioned Afghanistan. We believe that Osama bin Laden is hiding perhaps in a cave somewhere along the Afghan-Pakistan border. If you get a second term, what is your plan to capture him and then to neutralize those who have sprung up to replace him?

3. When the president says that Senator Kerry is emboldening enemies and you say that we could get hit again if voters make the wrong choice in November, are you saying that it would be a dangerous thing to have John Kerry as president?

4. Mr. Vice President, in June 2000 when you were still CEO of Halliburton, you said that U.S. businesses should be allowed to do business with Iran because, quote, "Unilateral sanctions almost never work." After four years as vice president now, and with Iran having been declared by your administration as part of the "axis of evil," do you still believe that we should lift sanctions on Iran?

5. Mr. Vice President, the Census Bureau ranked Cleveland as the biggest poor city in the country, 31 percent jobless rate. You two gentlemen are pretty well off. You did well for yourselves in the private sector. What can you tell the people of Cleveland, or people of cities like Cleveland, that your administration will do to better their lives?

6. I want to read something you said four years ago at this very setting: "Freedom means freedom for everybody." You said it again recently when you were asked about legalizing same-sex unions. And you used your family's experience as a context for your remarks. Can you describe then your administration's support for a constitutional ban on same-sex unions?

7. President Bush has derided in John Kerry for putting a trial lawyer on the ticket. You yourself have said that lawsuits are partly to blame for higher medical costs. Are you willing to say that John Edwards, sitting here, has been part of the problem?

8. I want to talk to you about AIDS, and not about AIDS in China or Africa, but AIDS right here in this country, where black women between the ages of 25 and 44 are 13 times more likely to die of the disease than their counterparts. What should the government's role be in helping to end the growth of this epidemic?

9. Without mentioning them by name at all, explain to us why you are different from your opponent.

10. Whichever one of you is elected in November—you mentioned those three electoral votes in Wyoming and how critical they've turned out to be. But what they're a sign of also is that you're going to inherit a very deeply divided electorate, economically, politically, you name it. How will you set out, Mr. Vice President, in a way that you weren't able to in these past four years, to bridge that divide?

1. You and Senator Kerry have said that the war in Iraq is the wrong war at the wrong time. Does that mean that if you had been president and vice president that Saddam Hussein would still be in power?

2. Senator Kerry was asked about preemptive action at the last debate—he said, "You've got to do it in a way that passes the test, that passes the global test where your countrymen, your people understand fully why you're doing what you're doing and can prove to the world that you did it for legitimate reasons." What is a global test if it's not a global veto?

3. Part of what you have said and Senator Kerry has said that you are going to do in order to get us out of the problems in Iraq is to internationalize the effort. Yet French and German officials have both said they have no intention even if John Kerry is elected of sending any troops into Iraq for any peacekeeping effort. Does that make your effort or your plan to internationalize this effort seem kind of naive?

4. If this report that we've read about today is true, and if Vice President Cheney ordered it and asked about this, do you think that, in the future, that your administration or the Bush administration would have sufficient and accurate enough intelligence to be able to make decisions about where to go next?

5. Senator Edwards, as we wrap up the foreign policy part of this, I do want to talk to you about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Today, a senior member of Islamic Jihad was killed in Gaza. There have been suicide bombings, targeted assassinations, mortar attacks, all of this continuing at a time when the United States seems absent in the peace-making process. What would your administration do? First of all, do you agree that the United States is absent? Maybe you don't. But what would your administration do to try to resolve that conflict?

6. Senator Kerry said in a recent interview that he absolutely will not raise taxes on anyone under, who earns under $200,000 a year. How can he guarantee that and also cut the deficit in half, as he's promised?

7. As the vice president mentioned, John Kerry comes from the state of Massachusetts, which has taken as big a step as any state in the union to legalize gay marriage. Yet both you and Senator Kerry say you oppose it. Are you trying to have it both ways?

8. Do you feel personally attacked when Vice President Cheney talks about liability reform and tort reform and the president talks about having a trial lawyer on the ticket?

9. Ten men and women have been nominees of their parties since 1976 to be vice president. Out of those ten, you have the least governmental experience of any of them. What qualifies you to be a heartbeat away?

10. Flip-flopping has become a recurring theme in this campaign, you may have noticed. Senator Kerry changed his mind about whether to vote to authorize the president to go to war. President Bush changed his mind about whether a homeland security department was a good idea or a 9/11 Commission was a good idea. What's wrong with a little flip-flop every now and then?

Yeah find someone else.

Also, stop playing the victim reps, its kinda hard to take you seriously when you ask people to ease off while spilling lies and smear on the other sides tablecloth.

We shall soon find out tomorrow night. The eyes of the world will not only be on Biden and Palin. But also now the moderator.

I would guess that knowing this, she will now leave any political bias she has at home and not bring it out at the debate.

I guess Judge Clarance Thomas doesn't count nor does General Colin Powell?

The McCain campaign signed off on Ifill being the moderator after her book was on the shelves! They didn't look into Palin's background very hard at all and they didn't even google Gwen Ifill either, apparently. You want a President who never does even the most elementary research, making sweeping decisions on the flimsiest pretext, you've got your candidate in McCain.

Keep in mind that someone could be a staunch democrat and still be a very good moderator and interrogator at the debate. What we don't want is a solid partisan, and I've seen no indication that Ifill is some kind of Democratic Party hack.

The woman should have disqualified herself as moderator. Her vested financial interest is a bugaboo, and journalistic professionalism would demand she have removed herself.

ROTFFLMFAO.