Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Cartoon Villains Must Be Banned'

Still Waters

with all due respect children have been eating cereals like that for breakfast for years not all of them became obese or unhealthy it's just children never play anymore unless its video games it also might have to do with the fact that alot of families now never make dinner they just go buy fastfood and sit in front of the television and alot of people dont know when to tell their children no you cannot eat junk all day you just had junk 2 minutes ago I'm a daycare teacher I see it all the time and its sad :( they need to blame the parents of the children that are unhealthy not tony the tiger hes my homie lol

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolf MacCanine

• Marby

• GreyWeather

• goalienan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exactly!! :tu:

Back when I was a pup,we didn't have all the gadgets that are around now,so we had to make our own fun.Usually,it was all done outside the home,unless it happened to be a bad weather day.So...we would walk around the neighborhood, ride bicycles everywhere, climb trees, play some sort of game that had some physical activity (baseball, frisbee, basketball...etc.),...etc. And yes,if we were bored,the end result is we'd end up helping out around the house...sometimes even at a friend's house.That taught us not to ever say that we were bored to any parent.

Same here :yes: We hated being stuck in the house as it was so boring, and only played indoors if was raining. We couldn't wait to get outside to play, net ball, roller skates, swings, skipping, anything that involved plenty of exercise. We also lived near a farm and used to love playing in the hay loft, jumping off beams onto the bails of hay....those were the days ;) Young people nowadays have so many indoor things to do, they don't go out like we did.

Why does food aimed at children have to have so much sugar in them anyway....because they don't like the taste otherwise and won't eat them.

Exactly!! :tu:

Back when I was a pup,we didn't have all the gadgets that are around now,so we had to make our own fun.Usually,it was all done outside the home,unless it happened to be a bad weather day.So...we would walk around the neighborhood, ride bicycles everywhere, climb trees, play some sort of game that had some physical activity (baseball, frisbee, basketball...etc.),...etc. And yes,if we were bored,the end result is we'd end up helping out around the house...sometimes even at a friend's house.That taught us not to ever say that we were bored to any parent.

Boy, that's the truth and when it was time to come in the house, we all moaned and groaned... :)

Boy, that's the truth and when it was time to come in the house, we all moaned and groaned... :)

Nanners, Do you remember that your Mom always called you.....just as you started doing something fun?

You would be messing around all day, then as soon as you start something really fun your mom would yell "Dinner!"

Sheesh...Those were the days.

I was a frosted flakes munching fool. I even ate them as a snack. So did my boys But we had a healthy OUTDOOR lifestyle. They should put down the friggin game controllers!!! <_<

Lapiche

In my house the rule was we had to be home by the time the street lights came on. When we moved an area without street lights we headed home early anyway because it wasn't a good idea to be out late in that area.

I don't know.

I think these charaters are a bad example on our kids!!

I took this photo after Lucky and I went out bar hopping ->

linked-image

Too true, I don't trust that snidey leprechaun-

I get the impression, he loves to mock these obese kids..

Almost as if He considers it to be some kind of personal achievement?

linked-image

That's not fair :angry: we don't hear about all the good work they do.

Here's Tony the Tiger, warning an expectant mother about the dangers of child obesity.

linked-image

:lol::w00t: i am pmsl at that bill hill. :o ..............R.I.P chemical licker, < laughed to much had heart attack

The Honey Monster, Tony The Tiger, and Snap, Crackle and Pop have been branded 'cartoon villains' by consumer watchdog Which? for failing to promote healthy eating in children.

Other well-loved characters under fire include Moo the Dairylea cow, Coco the Coco Pops monkey and Quicky the Nesquik Bunny.

The characters were named in a Which? report for not helping in the fight against childhood obesity and poor diet.

Out of 19 children's food company cartoon favourites, not one was found to promote healthier products, researchers for the consumer campaign group found.

The Cartoon League Table was compiled by Which? after a survey found that two-thirds of people believe food companies should not be allowed to use popular characters to advertise unhealthy food.

Among the "cartoon baddies" highlighted by researchers was Moo the Dairylea cow. Which? said manufacturer Kraft's cartoon creation was present across much of Dairylea packaging. But they pointed out that the cheese products are often high in saturated fat and salt.

Dairylea Lunchables chicken 'n' cheese wraps contain more than a third of the maximum amount of salt a seven to 10-year old should consume, Which? said.

Tony the Tiger, famed for his 'gr-r-reat!' catchphrase, was also ticked off by the watchdog. The long-serving tiger's product Frosties contain over a third sugar, Which? noted.

Campaigners called for the advertising industry to amend the existing self-regulatory CAP and BCAP codes to encourage firms to use popular characters to help in the fight against childhood obesity and diet-related disease.

Clare Corbett, food campaigner at Which?, said: "Cartoons are great fun for kids. We definitely don't want to see the end of popular characters like Tony the Tiger and the Honey Monster, but we do want to see them promoting healthier products.

More Here

Why can't we Watchdog ourselves and not -or rarely purchase them in the first place ?

It seems everything is "forbidden" here in the U.S. as if we are small children.

Edited by momentarylapseofreason

You get the SAW-esque rooms ready, and I'll go buy the Scooby-van. (Who'd think people driving the Scooby-van were kidnapping Consumer Watchdog and PC idiots :P .)

I love it! Will get on it now!

Seriously, though, I get so tired of people blaming everything but the parents raising kids for their obesity/low self esteem/you name it. I grew up in an era where if you weren't good enough, you didn't make the team, losers didn't get trophies too, and parents were actually allowed to discipline children. If I did wrong, my parents took personal responsibility and made sure that I learned from it and owned up to what I did.

Cartoons are not responsible for anything, neither are supermodels, violent comics, or rock and roll. Maybe if parents took some control, made kids exercise, helped to build up their self esteem, and taught them that there is a right and wrong, some of these problems people pawn off on anyone but themselves wouldn't be so prevalent.

Seriously, though, I get so tired of people blaming everything but the parents raising kids for their obesity/low self esteem/you name it. I grew up in an era where if you weren't good enough, you didn't make the team, losers didn't get trophies too, and parents were actually allowed to discipline children. If I did wrong, my parents took personal responsibility and made sure that I learned from it and owned up to what I did.

Cartoons are not responsible for anything, neither are supermodels, violent comics, or rock and roll. Maybe if parents took some control, made kids exercise, helped to build up their self esteem, and taught them that there is a right and wrong, some of these problems people pawn off on anyone but themselves wouldn't be so prevalent.

Unlike supermodels, violent comics and rock and roll; these cartoon cereal characters specifically target kids, not their parents. The formerly listed items target adults who are responsible and can make their own decisions even if those decisions make no sense to us. Everyone remember Joe Camel. They had to stop showing his image because kids related to him so much (a cartoon camel that smoked cigarettes). Although in Joe's case, he more targeted adults, it's just that cartoons for so long have been aimed towards children in this part of the world that one wonders if Camel cigarettes understood this and used this image to get kids who grew up with the image to be their consumers. I'm just saying that this group's focus has some basis.

Unlike supermodels, violent comics and rock and roll; these cartoon cereal characters specifically target kids, not their parents. The formerly listed items target adults who are responsible and can make their own decisions even if those decisions make no sense to us. Everyone remember Joe Camel. They had to stop showing his image because kids related to him so much (a cartoon camel that smoked cigarettes). Although in Joe's case, he more targeted adults, it's just that cartoons for so long have been aimed towards children in this part of the world that one wonders if Camel cigarettes understood this and used this image to get kids who grew up with the image to be their consumers. I'm just saying that this group's focus has some basis.

Parents are in control of the money in a household containing children who are influenced by cartoon characters. If they say NO, then the kid doesn't get the sugary cereal. Pretty simple, so long as parents are willing to stand up to their children, which is what it comes down to. I'm sure that I am not the only one who got nothing out of a grocery store tantrum when I was a kid. So, really, crying that the ads are targeting kids, which of course they would, doesn't mean that the child is going to get what they want unless they have pushovers for parents.

Even Joe Camel, who true, seemed to target children, isn't going to be an issue if parents actually have some control over their children and don't smoke themselves. I'm a smoker from the Joe Camel era (don't like Camels personally), and really can only blame myself for picking up that first cigarette.

Nanners, Do you remember that your Mom always called you.....just as you started doing something fun?

You would be messing around all day, then as soon as you start something really fun your mom would yell "Dinner!"

Sheesh...Those were the days.

:lol: I sure do. I was quite the tomboy and would hang out in the schoolyard which was about a block away. We would just start a game of basketball or stickball when my mom (who didn't need a bullhorn) would yell to get home. And believe me, we got right home, no seconds wasted..Bought back memories... ;)

Well said! :tu:

As Marby later said,the parents should learn to control the kids when they start asking for certain things.The parents should also make sure that the kids are getting plenty of exercise.

I think that a lot of parents would benefit from something that my parents did back when I was a pup.They explained finances to us kids.They pointed out that with all of the things they needed to do in order to keep a roof over our heads,keep us clothed,get us educated,and keep us fed and healthy...we took up a large portion of their finances.They also explained to us just how much they actually made at their jobs.They also taught us that we didn't need every new gadget or toy that came out...and that we should not be jealous just because someone else we knew may have gotten one.They taught us to be happy with what we had...and how not to fall for every little sales gimmick that came along.

It's a shame that a large portion of society has become so lazy and pathetic and so willing to "pass the buck"...and so willing to give in to their offspring when one throws a temper tantrum.

Well said! :tu:

As Marby later said,the parents should learn to control the kids when they start asking for certain things.The parents should also make sure that the kids are getting plenty of exercise.

I think that a lot of parents would benefit from something that my parents did back when I was a pup.They explained finances to us kids.They pointed out that with all of the things they needed to do in order to keep a roof over our heads,keep us clothed,get us educated,and keep us fed and healthy...we took up a large portion of their finances.They also explained to us just how much they actually made at their jobs.They also taught us that we didn't need every new gadget or toy that came out...and that we should not be jealous just because someone else we knew may have gotten one.They taught us to be happy with what we had...and how not to fall for every little sales gimmick that came along.

It's a shame that a large portion of society has become so lazy and pathetic and so willing to "pass the buck"...and so willing to give in to their offspring when one throws a temper tantrum.

Great post, Wolf!

My parents did something similar, Wolf. I was taught the value of money from the get go. While they didn't get too deeply into their own finances with me, if I wanted something that couldn't wait for my birthday or Christmas, or it was deemed far too expensive and would have been the only gift I received on either day, I had to earn it. I had an allowance, but the amount always depended on the chores I did. I was never just given money. During my summer vacation, I went into the office with dad and did stuff around the office, whether it was filing, stamping stuff, or helping with the phones. I was paid by the hour for it, and whatever I put away and had by the end of vacation, they would match and it was put into my personal savings account. That taught me that I couldn't just get what I wanted because they could get it, or because I begged for it. You want it bad enough, work for it.

I was also taught from early on that while it's okay to have your teen idols, that the role models were not in the band or acting on TV. There was more of an emphasis on being my own person and doing my own thing rather than emulating celebrities or peers.

My mom worked for most of my childhood save for a few years after my sister was born, and as a working parent, and eventually a single parent, she made sure that we had a healthy breakfast in the morning and a home cooked meal at night. She is by no means a wonderful cook or June Cleaver, but there was no junk food in the house and fast food was something you ate once in a while on the way to a day at the beach or on a road trip. It's not easy being a parent, but taking the reins of responsibility when you become one is the point being made here, and many people nowadays would rather let the outside world do that, which is dead wrong.

Edited by Marby

What, and can they get kids to eat brussels sprouts and brochilli for breakfast?

I'd like to see thaqt!

Just you wait until Madison Avenue starts hammering kids with "Russell the Brussels Sprout" and "Rocky Lee the Broccoli"!

I have a confession.............. the sugar puff monster.........touched me once in a private place.

It was horrible, and I believe these cartoon villains should be removed... :cry:

*Runs away sobbing*

:P

I have a confession.............. the sugar puff monster.........touched me once in a private place.

It was horrible, and I believe these cartoon villains should be removed... :cry:

*Runs away sobbing*

It's ok chaoszerg, it's ok.... they caught him.

linked-image

Jeez, give me a friggin break. We're in the middle of a crisis and they may want the government to step in..what a hoot these idiots are. I can't imagine giving Tony the Tiger and my favorites Snap, Crackle and Pop, the boot....Wacky world... ;)

I know right. then they're going to ban super heroes from having to fight super villians. what are they gonna do? fight the polluters, car drives, bank robbers, cops, change your tires on your car because you've got a flat on the middle of the highway during rush hour?! I just think that society needs a wake up call...a damn BIG WAKE UP CALL!!!

Some people it seems; have far to much free time.

Good Journey.

Kyle Rajasthan.

I'll help.

Count me in too,