Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Comedian Jeff Dunham banned in South Africa!

MasterPo

From the Fox News Website:

(link to article: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,431866,00.html)

It's no laughing matter.

Funnyman ventriloquist Jeff Dunham is fuming after a ringtone advertisement based on his popular comedy skit, "Achmed the Dead Terrorist," was scrubbed from South African TV because it mocks Islam.

The ringtone was taken from a puppet routine performed by Dunham, a native Texan, in a TV special on Comedy Central. A 10-minute clip of the comedian's routine that was posted on YouTube has been viewed more than 66 million times since April.

Click here to see video of Dunham's act with Achmed the Dead Terrorist.

But the government of South Africa doesn't think it's funny. According to iafrica.com, South Africa's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) ruled that a GloMobile ringtone commercial featuring Dunham and his puppet was offensive to Muslims.

The commercial depicts Dunham holding his skeletal puppet, Achmed, dressed with a white cloth around his head and demanding that the audience keep quiet, uttering, "Silence! I will kill you!"

ASA officials said a South African man, Moegamat Khan, had filed a complaint that the commercial was offensive to the Islamic religion and created an impression that all Muslims were terrorists.

And the ASA agreed. "To associate this divine inspiration to a terrorist is offensive to the people who believe in [Muhammad]," the authority ruled. Muslims make up 2 percent of South Africa's population.

But Dunham begs to differ. In a statement to FOXNews.com, he said: "Achmed makes it clear in my act that he is not Muslim, so I'm sorry the gentleman Khan didn't see my entire show.

"I've skewered whites, blacks, Hispanics, Christians, Jews, Muslims, gays, straights, rednecks, addicts, the elderly, and my wife. As a standup comic, it is my job to make the majority of people laugh, and I believe that comedy is the last true form of free speech."

Dunham — whose other puppets include Peanut, Bubba J and Walter, a grumpy retiree — said he has no plans to retire the controversial act.

The comedian said moves like this stymie the freedom to poke fun at any group.

"I truly believe that laughter can heal many wounds," Dunham said.

In a jibe at the South African complainant's name, he said: "I thought Khan was awesome in Star Trek."

"If it would help things," he added, "I'm considering renaming Achmed, 'Bill.'"

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MasterPo

• Plainbob13

• Cradle of Fish

• el midgetron

I'd be more offended that such a lame performance artist is getting air time just for being able to talk without moving his lips.

I also wasn't aware that South Africa was so packed with muslims.

It's funny stuff. But most of his other puppet acts are poo.

Only this one, and a few of that old guy ones are any good.

Terry Fator, the guy that won America's Got Talent last year, is an outstanding ventriloquist and impressionist and I don't usually go for that sort of act.

I think nobody is reacting to this thread because this sort of response, by authorities when it comes to Muslims, is not that unusual anymore.

I also wasn't aware that South Africa was so packed with muslims.

It's not. The ban is based on only one complaint.

And according to the article muslims make up on 2% of the South African population.

It's not. The ban is based on only one complaint.

And according to the article muslims make up on 2% of the South African population.

You're right, South Africa folded to one guy. If they're gonna fold to so little, such a small muslim population could take over in a year or two.

linked-image i frigging love it, thanks to the person who put the you tube link up.

Im a terrorist, are you scared?linked-image

I think that Muslims need to be awared that some of the things that they believe sound *******ed to the rest of the world and be okay with being made fun of for it. Matter of fact, everyone should be able to laugh at themselves. I mean all comedians poke fun at something.

And technically comedians are REALLY making fun of the audience for being so ill informed that the same tired sterotypes are still, yes STILL funny.

"I KILL YOU!"

Beat me to it so: SILENCE! I Kill YOU!

Its important to understand that, in today's world, muslim extremists are considered the most dangerous enemy of "all free and prosperous nations"...

"they hate you because you are free and prosperous"... we're told that everyday by our political leaders and the MSM.... and then, in turn, the same

rhetoric is repeated over and over again by the western influenced populace's who often misrepresent or brand the enemy as strictly Muslim....

....... immediately following WW2 how popular was joking about Nazi's killing jewish people?.... it's clear that in most parts of Europe that it

is considered a crime to deny the holocaust yet that is not the question.... the question is how common was it for a comedian to create a comedy act that

portrayed nazi's who killed jewish people?... I'm guessing that out of poor taste or judgement most comedians refrained from such humor, immediately

following the holocaust, in an effort to ease social opinion on the whole population of Germany....

.... banning an act, that clearly has social implication's by today's world standards, could do more to prevent an pre-emptive retaliation as opposed to

the ramifications it might have to easing any future conflicts.......

..... how often have you laughed at somebody's expense when, say perhaps, they smacked their thumb with a hammer right in front

of you? .... many will find the immediate humor but most people understand the ramifications that could follow if no empathy is also offered....

..... my 2 cents .....

From the Fox News Website:

(link to article: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,431866,00.html)

It's no laughing matter.

Funnyman ventriloquist Jeff Dunham is fuming after a ringtone advertisement based on his popular comedy skit, "Achmed the Dead Terrorist," was scrubbed from South African TV because it mocks Islam.

The ringtone was taken from a puppet routine performed by Dunham, a native Texan, in a TV special on Comedy Central. A 10-minute clip of the comedian's routine that was posted on YouTube has been viewed more than 66 million times since April.

Click here to see video of Dunham's act with Achmed the Dead Terrorist.

But the government of South Africa doesn't think it's funny. According to iafrica.com, South Africa's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) ruled that a GloMobile ringtone commercial featuring Dunham and his puppet was offensive to Muslims.

The commercial depicts Dunham holding his skeletal puppet, Achmed, dressed with a white cloth around his head and demanding that the audience keep quiet, uttering, "Silence! I will kill you!"

ASA officials said a South African man, Moegamat Khan, had filed a complaint that the commercial was offensive to the Islamic religion and created an impression that all Muslims were terrorists.

And the ASA agreed. "To associate this divine inspiration to a terrorist is offensive to the people who believe in [Muhammad]," the authority ruled. Muslims make up 2 percent of South Africa's population.

But Dunham begs to differ. In a statement to FOXNews.com, he said: "Achmed makes it clear in my act that he is not Muslim, so I'm sorry the gentleman Khan didn't see my entire show.

"I've skewered whites, blacks, Hispanics, Christians, Jews, Muslims, gays, straights, rednecks, addicts, the elderly, and my wife. As a standup comic, it is my job to make the majority of people laugh, and I believe that comedy is the last true form of free speech."

Dunham — whose other puppets include Peanut, Bubba J and Walter, a grumpy retiree — said he has no plans to retire the controversial act.

The comedian said moves like this stymie the freedom to poke fun at any group.

"I truly believe that laughter can heal many wounds," Dunham said.

In a jibe at the South African complainant's name, he said: "I thought Khan was awesome in Star Trek."

"If it would help things," he added, "I'm considering renaming Achmed, 'Bill.'"

Why is it that no one can offend Muslims but they can offend everyone else? Kill everyone else, wherever they want to do it?

Why is it that no one can offend Muslims but they can offend everyone else? Kill everyone else, wherever they want to do it?

The wonderful world of Political correctness. Its a one way street.

The wonderful world of Political correctness. Its a one way street.

Ditto.

And few have the stones to stand up and say "Enough!"

His eyes where really scary and It spooked me a bit, but you gotta laugh! "He,he"

Blessed and all that Allah, Allah, respected, peace out! :tu:

"This Post is for comical use only". lol