Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lose your house? then you can't vote

zitro1987

Lose Your House, Lose Your Vote

Michigan Republicans plan to exclude African-American voters

By Eartha Jane Melzer

(Michigan Messenger)

The chairman of the Republican Party in Macomb County, Michigan, a key swing county in a key swing state, is planning to use a list of foreclosed homes to block people from voting in the upcoming election as part of the state GOP's effort to challenge some voters on Election Day.

"We will have a list of foreclosed homes and will make sure people aren't voting from those addresses," party chairman James Carabelli told Michigan Messenger in a telephone interview earlier this week. He said the local party wanted to make sure that proper electoral procedures were followed.

State election rules allow parties to assign "election challengers" to polls to monitor the election. In addition to observing the poll workers, these volunteers can challenge the eligibility of any voter provided they "have a good reason to believe" that the person is not eligible to vote. One allowable reason is that the person is not a "true resident of the city or township."

The Michigan Republicans' planned use of foreclosure lists is apparently an attempt to challenge ineligible voters as not being "true residents."

One expert questioned the legality of the tactic.

"You can't challenge people without a factual basis for doing so," said J. Gerald Hebert, a former voting rights litigator for the U.S. Justice Department who now runs the Campaign Legal Center, a Washington D.C.-based public-interest law firm. "I don't think a foreclosure notice is sufficient basis for a challenge, because people often remain in their homes after foreclosure begins and sometimes are able to negotiate and refinance."

As for the practice of challenging the right to vote of foreclosed property owners, Hebert called it, "mean-spirited."

more on http://www.coastalpost.com/08/10/02.html including stuff about Ohio.

This is ridiculous! Why can't people who are struggling vote!? this is against the law! voter suppression at its worst, benefiting the Republican Party as they would most likely tend to lean Democrat.

:no:

EDIT: check the first post on the 2nd page (post #15 i think) ... this source got hit by a lawsuit ... it may not be legit

Edited by zitro1987

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michelle

• SilverCougar

• goalienan

• msmischief

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect it will be legally challenged prior to the election. The good news, at least, is that it's become public knowledge before the election takes place, so it's fairness, or otherwise, can be assessed.

This is ridiculous! Why can't people who are struggling vote!? this is against the law! voter suppression at its worst, benefiting the Republican Party as they would most likely tend to lean Democrat.

Greg Palast discusses how vote fraud has been used in the past two presidential elections (http://www.gregpalast.com/night-of-the-living-vote-snatchers-from-steal-back-your-vote/) in his book "Armed Madhouse." Also check out http://www.stealbackyourvote.com/

Sounds consequent... people who lost their houses surely will not vote Republican.... :lol:

Umm... doesn't it just mean they can't vote in the location where they are no longer a resident because they lost their homes? They'd have to register and vote in their current home township or county.

The Michigan Republicans' planned use of foreclosure lists is apparently an attempt to challenge ineligible voters as not being "true residents."

People are supposed to vote from where they live.

Exactly...Every voter has a district according to your address, and if you move you have to re-register for whatever district you are in. Now, foreclosures can take a while to happen and can be stalled, unless of course the article is talking about a notice that the sherriff will be at your home on a certain date. I imagine this is something all of the States will have to take into consideration, but if your home is up for foreclosure and you are still living in it, then that is from where you would vote from.

Yeah.. however we're neglecting the fact that it's to late to reregister. So they're pulling this "Oh hay! You can't vote here kkthxbai!" thing rather underhandedly.

This isn't anything new. If you don't have an address, such as retired people that live in motor homes full time, you can't vote. They've been battling this for years and have found a way around it but I'm not sure how they did it. I'll have to ask our friends that live in theirs.

It's not a bias against a certain group because a lot of those people are very well off and vote Republican.

If those people knew that they were going to have to move they had to have made arrangments and just didn't plan on that aspect.

I would like to add that if anyone isn't registered to vote they still have until Monday night, October 6th to register.

Actually.. in WA state.. it's untill midnight tonight.

Please spread the word. :rolleyes: I know for a fact that if you go into any polling site regardless of if you are registered there they must take you vote. :yes: The vote will be put into an envelope and sealed and counted manually separately from the regular votes. They do this to make sure you don't turn up in two places. There is a signature list that you sign if you are voting. Its much easier than it seems. :tu: So tell anyone you know that if they are denied voting on election day to request this.

Yeah, unfortunately it's nothing new. Voter Intimidation has been going on forever. Download the PDF file or See it online in pdf.

The article states that they are training the election challenger volunteers "to make sure voters are who they say who they are.” Yet, won't details on what they'll require for people to prove who they are.

Michigan Messenger

A lawsuit was filed last month, because of this. Lawsuit against Michigan GOP

Here they try again in Montana, this time targeting the Native American reservations and University towns.Voter Suppression in Montana

Happening in Virginia to college students. Virgina Students

There are a few states doing a "clean up" to people who have their names with same birth dates listed twice. While I have no problem with this, because yes, people should update their info, I don't think doing it a month or two before the Presidential Election is ethical.

You can check your states Voter Registration Guidelines HERE

where do the registered homeless vote. and yes the homeless can register to vote.

where do the registered homeless vote. and yes the homeless can register to vote.

I'm not sure. I'm guessing if they are often at a local shelter, they may be registered at a nearby poll site, or lol..somewhere close to their city hall! I'm sure town officials would love that. :D

That will not happen, me thinks so. That is totally wrong.

The National Coalition For The Homeless gives a list of different states and what the requirements are to vote. Most have to designate a shelter, park or a street corner as their residence...