Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apollo 11 question

Mick78

Hi everyone , hope you are all good, I have what is most likely a very easy question to answer.

I'm a firm believer that we went to the moon but this has always made me curious. Apollo 11 footage of Armstrong and Aldrin on moon. It is a very famous piece of footage we see Buzz float by the camera but he is almost transclucent and through him we see the flag, why is this so ?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MID

• merril

• Mick78

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I remember the scenes you describe. I'm going to guess that after the signal is recieved and relayed to various locations (live T.V. ?), a ghosting effect of some sort may have resulted. I know certain antennas have structural elements that may result in a split signal.

Just a guess.

I think I remember the scenes you describe. I'm going to guess that after the signal is recieved and relayed to various locations (live T.V. ?), a ghosting effect of some sort may have resulted. I know certain antennas have structural elements that may result in a split signal.

Just a guess.

That's part of it, merril.

It's actually a rather complex situation which involved the slow scan black and white TV camera (which was never used again), the power involved, the antenna and processing capabilities at several locations, as well as the switching and transmission that took place from the signals origin at the Moon to the final TV feeds provided by MSC Houston.

A detailed discussion of the Apollo 11 TV system can be found at the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal, click on Introductory Material, and look for the Apollo TV Essay by Bill Wood.