Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Waking up with tiny cuts on my fingers

NosmoKing

This has happened to me repeatedly: I wake up in the morning with tiny cuts on my fingers.

I've noticed this strange occurence has been mentioned on this forum and other paranormal forums, and people have wondered if this has had a supernatural origin. I'm sure in my case there is a very natural reason for occuring with me but I can't figure out what it is. I'd much prefer to consider possible natural origins before jumping to supernatural conclusions, and I know there are several skeptics on this forum, so can you help me out?

Things to rule out: I don't sleep near anything with sharp edges; I have very short nails (so they can't be accidentally cutting me in my sleep)...I can't think of anything else at the monent. Maybe you guys have any ideas?

This isn't a major worry in my life. It's just something I've been wondering about over the years, and since similar cases have been mentioned on this and other forums any ideas would be appreciated :)

Well, does your bed have anything sharp on it? I'm not quite clear on the cuts. Are they bleeding or bloody? Do they look like paper cuts? I don't have a clue, but I want to narrow it down a bit more :)

samz ish magical x

I don't sleep near anything with sharp edges

Smart move.

I have very short nails (so they can't be accidentally cutting me in my sleep)...

If A is harder than B, then A can scratch B. Hardness is a searchable term. Your nails are harder than your skin.

Length is not typically a feature in human nails' cutting performance, although moderate length does contribute to accidental scratches. Edge sharpness makes it easier to cut things, but has nothing to do with whether it is possible in the first place.

A dull knife will cut you, a sharpened piece of cheese will not.

• Like 1

Samz ish, the cuts are never bloody. They basically look like paper cuts. They don't hurt. I just notice them after waking, and they're never there before I go to sleep at night.

Eight bits, my nails are really short, and I keep them filed with an emery board so the edges are smooth and rounded.

Once again, I assume there is a very normal reason for this. I have a cat, but it doesn't sleep in the room. And the cuts don't look like cat scratches. The cuts are very, very light; only a few mms long, and are straight.

Hm, maybe you put your fingers in your mouth while you sleep and your teeth caused this whole thing :D Hah, other than that, I don't know. I'll keep thinking! <3

Samz

Hm, maybe you put your fingers in your mouth while you sleep and your teeth caused this whole thing :D Hah, other than that, I don't know. I'll keep thinking! <3

Samz

Who knows, it could be my teeth :) I'm thinking it's probably not...but then it's a more likely possibility then something supernatural. Perhaps I'm subconsciously a vampire ;)

Thanks for the input.

Perhaps your hair? Perhaps you are dragging your fingers through your hair and its going taut and causing the paper cut? :)

Perhaps your hair? Perhaps you are dragging your fingers through your hair and its going taut and causing the paper cut? :)

I like that one. I'd pretty much say you've got it. Thanks. :)

Edit: for spelling

Edited by NosmoKing

Hah, I should have thought of hair! ;) Eh, teeth were always possible! :yes:

Hah, I should have thought of hair! ;) Eh, teeth were always possible! :yes:

Teeth are more interesting, definitely more creepy ;) ...but I'd say the hair has it hands down.

Another possibility. If you use harsh detergents or just tend to have dry hands, tiny cracks can apear on them, looking for all the world like tiny cuts.My husband gets them on nhis hands too, and I have also got them on my hands. Use some special cream like udder cream or a powerful skin ointment and the cuts will get better. His tend to do it if he goes out in the cold

This has happened to me repeatedly: I wake up in the morning with tiny cuts on my fingers.

I've noticed this strange occurence has been mentioned on this forum and other paranormal forums, and people have wondered if this has had a supernatural origin. I'm sure in my case there is a very natural reason for occuring with me but I can't figure out what it is. I'd much prefer to consider possible natural origins before jumping to supernatural conclusions, and I know there are several skeptics on this forum, so can you help me out?

Things to rule out: I don't sleep near anything with sharp edges; I have very short nails (so they can't be accidentally cutting me in my sleep)...I can't think of anything else at the monent. Maybe you guys have any ideas?

This isn't a major worry in my life. It's just something I've been wondering about over the years, and since similar cases have been mentioned on this and other forums any ideas would be appreciated :)

Do you have a cat? If so, is it unclawed?

Mine isn't, sometimes I wake up in the morning looking like Jim Caviezel after the scourging scene in The Passion of the Christ.

:sk :sk :sk :sk :sk :sk Do I get a prize!!!!!! :D

Your prize is you are ruler of the universe for one day (starting now). Use this prize wisely ;)

Snappydragon, that's a good idea. But I don't use detergents much and when I do I have rubber gloves on (like washing the dishes). Also, my mum gets tiny cracks on her hands during the winter, and mine look different to that. Usually for me, there are only one or two cuts at a time.

Gaivs, I do have a cat, but he doesn't sleep in my room. Also, I've had cat scratches and they look different to these scratches.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Watch out for insects, some can give you some harsh punishment, some spiders are known to bite.

Rat infestation, yes, rats do chew on human skin. And it can be very hazardous to your health.

if any of your sleeping materials (blanket, matress, pillow) have feathers inside them, the ends of the feathers can poke out and scratch ya pretty good

do you read alot or do lots of paper work? i get the sme thing but im pretty sure the actually are just little paper cut that you don't notice when you get them like i said it happens to me all the time and it was really confusing at first

edit: really bad typo lol!

Edited by fadinginnocence

• 4 years later...

id say the detergent theory or insect would be more rational than hair...u say u dont use detergents, well maybe its something else you do use...weird i came across this...cause its made me remember waking up with cuts on my fingers once that i couldnt explain. Think at the time I put it down to some cleaning product or something eh?

• 3 years later...
On 10/5/2008 at 7:35 AM, NosmoKing said:

I woke up this morning with cuts on both my palms and fingers, I have know idea where they came from I also felt the deepest one right when I woke up 

On 10/5/2008 at 7:35 AM, NosmoKing said:

I also woke up with cuts on my figers and palms and a few felt fresh as if they just happened before I woke up. I don't believe in paranormal things. And I did work the day before. But I'm only 20 so I know it's not dry skin or nothing. There as if someone took a razor blade and put little cuts all over my palms and fingers a few r pretty deep to. It could have something to do with my belt idk but looking for answers....

10 hours ago, Dakota3443 said:

And I did work the day before

Hello Dakota, can you tell me what sort of work you were doing? And whether you were doing it inside or outside, and if you were doing clerical or manual type work?

Why not post some images?

And can you elaborate on what this means?

On 11/30/2016 at 5:42 PM, Dakota3443 said:

It could have something to do with my belt idk but looking for answers....

On 30/11/2016 at 7:42 AM, Dakota3443 said:

I woke up this morning with cuts on both my palms and fingers, I have know idea where they came from I also felt the deepest one right when I woke up 

I also woke up with cuts on my figers and palms and a few felt fresh as if they just happened before I woke up. I don't believe in paranormal things. And I did work the day before. But I'm only 20 so I know it's not dry skin or nothing. There as if someone took a razor blade and put little cuts all over my palms and fingers a few r pretty deep to. It could have something to do with my belt idk but looking for answers....

Your only 20 so you definitely won't have dry skin or anything?

Age is nothing to do with medical complaints, be it minor or major, my friend is 19 and is a eczema sufferer, quite severe tbh, his arms are covered in dried skin and also has patches on his head and chest, you could also take a look at your local children's hospital and tell the patients they are not I'll because they are only X years old. 

If you work on cars, for example, its quite easy to cut yourself and not realise. 

• Like 1

Maybe you're sleepwalking, or doing other weird things in your sleep. It's not outside the realm of possibility. How would we know if we're asleep? 

Set up a cam?

• 1 year later...

I get them too. They are from dairy intake in my case. I recently developed a bunch of food allergies. I can’t eat wheat, dairy or soy without blisters or these paper cuts like wounds. Try to elimate dairy for three months and I mean really eliminate (eat or drink NONE) and then see if when dairy is reintroduced — if you get the paper cuts again. Hope this helps. 

Edited by Cre8tvshop52

Chip or scratches on your phone. You can get thin cuts that way and not even notice them until the next day when your skin has had time to show them.