Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Animal Teleportation

Dowdy

i got this info from a book.

in 1938 Ivan Sanderson was studying the ATTA of Leaf-Cutter ant. two Dutch scientists were his colleagues. in the course of their studies they became thoroughly mystified by a feature of the behaviour of the queen ant which seemed to defy rational explaination. they would break into one of the chambers containing a queen ant, and after covering it up again, would find that 'in a matter of minutes she had vanished'.

the queen ant's chamber is built underground, with walls up to three inches thick. it is perforated by a number of tiny portholes, giving access to the ants which feed and clean the queen and carry off her eggs to the nurseries. the queen spends her whole time eating and laying eggs, and since she is about 1000 times the size of the workers there is no question of her leaving the chamber in the normal way. here writes Sanderson, is the problem:

'It has been observer that, if you do get to a queen chamber, and carefully slice a side off it, you may observe the tightfitting insect within and can mark it carefully with a squirt of dye. as long as the chamber is left open, or resealed only by a piece of glass, nothing happens. often the queen dies or is taken apart by the workers. sometimes she just goes on egg-laying - dye and all. however, if you cover her up even for a few minutes, something happens. she vanishes!'

this could well be explained, and was originally thought to have been so and adequately, by the notion that her workers killed her and removed the remains. but don't forget the dye, which was in some cases sprayed on in very complex patterns.

'further digging in some cities within hours brought to light, to the dumbfoundment of everybody, apparently the same queen, all duly dyed with intricate identifying marks, dozens of feet away in another super-concrete-hard cell, happily eating, excreting and producing eggs!'

Sanderson continued to expound a belief that the ATTA queens travelled from chamber to chamber by teleportation.

what do you think?

and if you find a web site on animal teleportation could you please tell me :)

• Like 1

Dowdy,

That's certainly an interesting idea - an insect with it's own natural teleporter. The mystery of the disappearing Queen Ant that then reappears somewhere totally different is also very strange. Has there been any other evidence of teleporting insects before - and if the Queen does have the ability to teleport, how on earth does it do it ? I can't imagine how something like that could be genetically built into an insect. Given the intelligence of insects, it would be unusual for one to exhibit such an incredibly advanced technological ability. If ants can teleport about though, it wouldn't be long before science has figured out how, and managed to replicate it.

another animal who seems to be able to teleport is the termites (white ants) of Africa. one person suggested that the termite queens may develop teleportation as a way of moving to a new and larger quarters when the old ones become too much of a squeeze. once again we hear of a chamber with hard, thick walls, a huge queen and tiny service holes.

Mabe an advanced race of aliens came here and gave the ants and termites a very small teleportation machine to keep in their queen's chambers. ;D    Or the aliens performed genetic experiments allowing the insects to teleport themselves without the need for a machine ;D    Or...

Seriously though, I have never heard such a thing. It's very interesting. If it's true, then the theory would become fact, and it would be only a matter of time before I could have my very own teleportation machine. ;D   I cant wait!!

• 1 year later...

Hmmm...animal teleportation, technological advancement  is out of the question in this case, but there are stories about  tibetan? "shamanism" in which there are 9 levels to perfection; the last level being akin to teleportation but more spiritual than than scientific.

Good luck

• 3 years later...

Maybe the quenns can dig their own tunnels? They can be stronger than most people think original.gif

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
A few months ago I was at home and I saw a lizard looking at me, he was near to me at one spot. I shooed him away and he hid behind the leg of a table not too far from me so I went to look behind the leg of the table and did not see him which I thought was strange, then as I continued looking for this lizard I saw him in another spot a little distance from where I was so in otherwords it seemed as if the lizard basically teleported. At the time I thought it was strange, it seemed as if the lizard teleported but I did not even think that this was possible. I ended up concluding that perhaps the lizard had run very fast and that is why it ended up at that spot. Recently the same thing happened, I was watching television, the area I was in was dark and I saw a lizard on the wall, I turned away and looked on the television for about seven seconds when I looked in the same spot I saw the lizard previously I didn't see him anymore at the spot but I saw a lizard at a great distance from where the first lizard had been (no lizard was not at that particular spot before) I do not know if it is another lizard or the same lizard but if it was in fact the same lizard I do not see how it is possible that he ended up at that spot in a matter of seconds. I have had demonic spirits coming in and out of my house for a long time so either it is a demonic spirit coming into the form of a lizard to bother me, a person has changed their physical form in that of a lizard (like a skin walker), I am imagining things or a real lizard can actually teleport from one area to another as he pleases. God created this universe and there are things we humans will never truly understand.

Why did you post in a thread that is 4 years old and no, lizards cannot teleport.

A few months ago I was at home and I saw a lizard looking at me, he was near to me at one spot. I shooed him away and he hid behind the leg of a table not too far from me so I went to look behind the leg of the table and did not see him which I thought was strange, then as I continued looking for this lizard I saw him in another spot a little distance from where I was so in otherwords it seemed as if the lizard basically teleported. At the time I thought it was strange, it seemed as if the lizard teleported but I did not even think that this was possible. I ended up concluding that perhaps the lizard had run very fast and that is why it ended up at that spot. Recently the same thing happened, I was watching television, the area I was in was dark and I saw a lizard on the wall, I turned away and looked on the television for about seven seconds when I looked in the same spot I saw the lizard previously I didn't see him anymore at the spot but I saw a lizard at a great distance from where the first lizard had been (no lizard was not at that particular spot before) I do not know if it is another lizard or the same lizard but if it was in fact the same lizard I do not see how it is possible that he ended up at that spot in a matter of seconds. I have had demonic spirits coming in and out of my house for a long time so either it is a demonic spirit coming into the form of a lizard to bother me, a person has changed their physical form in that of a lizard (like a skin walker), I am imagining things or a real lizard can actually teleport from one area to another as he pleases. God created this universe and there are things we humans will never truly understand.

Where do you live that you have so many freaking lizards wandering around your home?

HN

Why did you post in a thread that is 4 years old and no, lizards cannot teleport.

4yrs old... This thread started in 2001?

Holy cow. Talk about an old thread.

4yrs old... This thread started in 2001?

The last post prior to Quick Silver 1's necropost was in 2005, four years ago.

This is still interesting, and no, I think teleportation is completely out of the question. All the same I think more could have been done to find out what was happening with the queen. Perhaps the workers carried her?

I don't know about ants, but I have it on good authority that nightcrawlers can teleport.

God created this universe and there are things we humans will never truly understand.

Oh, so true :yes:

Wonder if any links could be made between the ants, the superposition principal and the infamous double slit experiment.

Edited by OldTimer97

I wonder if Quick Silver found the thread by Google or by simply reading every single thread title till he found this one, which he decided he had to post on about his lizard.

Hey do not worry Quick Silver, post whatever you like. If it was against the rules, you would not have been allowed to do it.

I seriously do not think your lizard teleported. Probably more likely he ran up the table leg along the table and dropped to the floor out of your immediate range of vision. Actually teleporting would involve all kinds of stretching of time/space mumbo-jumbo.

I've been reading various forums for a long time, and this has got to be one of the most powerful thread-necromancies I've ever seen.

Sanderson continued to expound a belief that the ATTA queens travelled from chamber to chamber by teleportation.

what do you think?

I think that Sanderson's notion is ridiculous.

Either the queen (was) moved, or the entire chamber containing the queen was moved.

The experiment needs to be repeated to establish what truly occurred.

Teleportation? Sweet jesus, no!

Havn't you seen The Fly?

linked-image

Rats have collapsable skeletons enabling them to worm through a few tight spots. Perhaps the queen is similar.

Or perhaps the ants with some semblance of intelligence realized that a secret escape route was needed and built a trapdoor.

I've been reading various forums for a long time, and this has got to be one of the most powerful thread-necromancies I've ever seen.

Well, sometimes it is good to bring up a really old thread. I never got to read the original post before and I thought it was extremely interesting!

I'm not so sure if I believe in this whole teleporting theory. There must be some sort of logical explanation. I wonder if more studies were done since then?

Take care,

Lorelei :)

• 8 months later...

I'm really surprised everyone is dismissing animal teleportation so cavalierly. There is so much in the world that we don't know; it seems short sighted to assume something that is currently outside of the mainstream paradigm just doesn't exist. There are enough reports of out of place animals, such as the kangaroos in North Carolina, Oklahoma and Utah, in 1980, that it is apathy to fall back on the old 'they escaped from the zoo' explanation.

Sometimes old threads get new postings because people haven't seen them before. I've never seen this one before but find it very interesting.

• Like 1

I'm really surprised everyone is dismissing animal teleportation so cavalierly. There is so much in the world that we don't know; it seems short sighted to assume something that is currently outside of the mainstream paradigm just doesn't exist. There are enough reports of out of place animals, such as the kangaroos in North Carolina, Oklahoma and Utah, in 1980, that it is apathy to fall back on the old 'they escaped from the zoo' explanation.

Sometimes old threads get new postings because people haven't seen them before. I've never seen this one before but find it very interesting.

AHHHHHH ITS BACK FROM THE DEAD AGAINNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

you seriously think kangaroos can wilfully teleport? instant teleportation is scientifically impossible as it would require it object or item to be completely destroyed then reassembled and the other location (thus not true teleportation as what comes out the other end would not be the same as what when in merely a copy) nothing biological could produce this effect as it would require the apparatus the reconstruct the animal teleporting at the other end (this apparatus would have to be external to the animal in question)

so its impossible

right now thats sorted hopefully no more necroposting

more necro posting I'm afraid, this thread is fascinating. It reminds me of the quantum bees http://discovermagazine.com/1997/nov/quantumhoneybees1263. Surely though is there was anything to this teleportation idea people would have re-produced the phenomenon in laboratories by now in order to study it further does anybody have any links on the teleporting termites mentioned?

• Thanks 1

AHHHHHH ITS BACK FROM THE DEAD AGAINNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

you seriously think kangaroos can wilfully teleport? instant teleportation is scientifically impossible as it would require it object or item to be completely destroyed then reassembled and the other location (thus not true teleportation as what comes out the other end would not be the same as what when in merely a copy) nothing biological could produce this effect as it would require the apparatus the reconstruct the animal teleporting at the other end (this apparatus would have to be external to the animal in question)

so its impossible

right now thats sorted hopefully no more necroposting

Maybe the Kangaroos are using magic?

• 1 year later...