Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's first double arm transplant

Still Waters

Karl Merk, a German dairy farmer whose arms had been amputated after an accident, said he felt like a "whole man" again as he spoke for the first time since the operation in July.

"The feeling is indescribable. Every day I gain more mobility," said Mr Merk as he showed off the arms, which are being supported by a special "corset" while the healing continues.

Six years ago Mr Merk lost his arms in a farm maize threshing machine. Found by a colleague as he lay bleeding to death, he screamed: "Kill me, kill me!" But the man saved his life instead.

Doctors at the teaching hospital of the Technical University in Munich then planned a world first: to transplant two arms at once. The procedure was conducted over two days in July.

A team of 40 surgeons and nurses working in two operating rooms removed the arms from the donor, who had died only hours before, and transplanted them to mr Merk, who had only been left with small stumps just below his shoulders following his amputations.

The first step was to expose the muscle, nerves and blood vessels to be connected. Before the bones of the donor could be cut, blood vessels in Mr Merk's arms were filled with a cooled preservation solution.

Both arms were then removed exactly at the point matching the patient's arm stumps. First the bones were joined, then arteries and veins to ensure blood circulation as quickly as possible.

The surgeons then attached the muscles and tendons, then the nerves and finally the skin.

More Here + Video

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wickian

• The Silver Thong

• brothers

• Still Waters

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That is pretty crazy. If I lost both of my arms, and had the choice, I would have a hard time choosing between bionic arms or donor arms.

That is pretty crazy. If I lost both of my arms, and had the choice, I would have a hard time choosing between bionic arms or donor arms.

Well damn I would want the bionic arms like Steve Austin but well they are not there yet so donar arms would work just fine. Wow,wonder when the first donar head will be tried holy that would be cool ok maybe not lol

Wouldn't it be the head that gets the donor body?

Well damn thats a good question. I guess it would be the head getting the donor body, good point lol

Oh wait lets say if you are dying and your body has withered to nothing and someone said befor they died that there body could be used for science than it would be a donor body for the head on the dying body oh this is wierd

Edited by The Silver Thong

Just amazing what science these days can do. Before you know it they will replace almost all of the body. Its just amazing anyway.

I bet you anything that guy is going as Frankenstein's monster for Halloween.