Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black Dog/symbol for devil?

rachelluvsyou

ok...well last night i had a dream about a black dog. i woke up this morning with peculiar scratches on my face. i really didn't even notice them or feel them until my friend told me at school. when i looked in the mirror, which was in our clothing class, i saw a sign of the cross on its side and a vertical line by me eye and a horizontal line by my mouth. i don't quite know what these markings are, and i wanted to know if anyone has proof or some research that black dogs are the symbol for the devil. if so i wuld like to learn more about it. i had watched ghost hunters where they had investigated a place where people supposedly witnessed a black dog there and they had said it was a symbol for the devil...but i just wanna know for sure. is it myth? is my dream a coinsidence? plz let me know.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vampwitchenstein

• kiddglock

• Enigmatic Ghost

• rachelluvsyou

You can do a search on it and find more info than this but here is some from memory...

The Black Dog or Black Hog can be a symbol of evil or the devil for sure. It is more commonly an omen of something bad to come. Bad luck from the olden days when Europe and the British Isles were pagan. Pre-Christianity. This has continued today as a superstition. The most famous black dog in literature would be The Hound of the Baskervilles, a Sherlock Holmes story.

Many Black Cats get put to Death and Tortured as was with the Dogs many centuries ago, but if it is he you are searching for, people get that wrong as well, it isn’t Black at all, is that Black it the Closest thing to it, but it is not a Color at all…It is a Passage way, a Void from which outcomes and for which goes in, it is a voiding of Light and Life solid…The Black is used in references or as in correlation to Him, because Black is the only thing close to explain it/void…People need to leave the Cats and The Dogs alone…in fact leave the Devil Alone...

Pavot B)

Edited by Pavot

I don't know what to tell you about the scratches, but the first thing that comes to mind is that in the midst of that dream, you might have scratched your own face. I would stick to that theory unless something more happens. Quite frankly, if you can't know for sure, and you were there, albeit asleep, I can't know for sure either.

However, I love the Black Dog legends. It is an ancient concept that seems to be a part of the collective psyche in areas like the British Isles and some parts of the American South. Sometimes the Black Dog, or Black Shuck, as he is also known, represents the devil. Other times he is an omen fortelling death. Some seem attached to families, while most are rather random but specific to their locality. If you were to Google "black dog legend" or "Black Shuck", you would probably come up with enough to read on it for several hours.

But there are also reports, some of them first-person, of wayfarers (especially lone females) being protected by Black Dogs. That doesn't seem all that devilish to me.

But there are also reports, some of them first-person, of wayfarers (especially lone females) being protected by Black Dogs. That doesn't seem all that devilish to me.

I have heard this too. My Mom grew up in Black Shuck country (Norfolk, England) and many are proud of their legend and some also consider 'him' a good even helpful spectre. Like black cats. Here in America they're 'bad luck' and in England my Nana was always happy to see one as they were 'good' luck.

Black dogs are sometimes seen as guardians of a soul when it travels between planes & such. I can't remember where I read this, I'll have to find it.

Stoopid double post. Stoopid broadband glitch perpetrated by both the NWO and the FOL.

Edited by Blondigeist

I think black dogs are very helpful indeed, and I think the phrase "don't shoot the messenger" works beautifully here. I feel they're nothing more than messangers, bringing forth an omen, not necessarily one of death, to the viewer. I've only met them in dreams, and never in person, but each time I've seen one there was never the feeling of forboding, evil, or malace at all. I spoke to one, after requesting my spirit guide visit it for a friend, and the black dog told me that I was not to share what I had seen with anyone else (which, of course, was ridiculous, of course I'm going to share it--had to, for my friend). There was an enormous amount of power I felt from it, but I don't think it had any intention to hurt me or bring harm upon anyone. I think it was more or les a guardian. The black dog turned into a solider in the dream, and followed a line of others out into war before telling me not to share. So I have no reason to believe that they are a sign of anything evil or of any type of demon or devil whatsoever.

Stoopid double post. Stoopid broadband glitch perpetrated by both the NWO and the FOL.

hahaha that made me LOL!