Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

future evolution?

disturbed_bassist

A friend of mine recently introduced me to an interesting theory, the theory is that man millions of years from now be a brain simply surrounded by fat.. the reasoning for this is dependance on software and hardware that as time goes on is only increasing exponentially. being a brain inside a robotic body controlled by state of art software might not be too bad!

seeming though we can now use GE to do whatever the hell we want this theory seems daft to me but at least its humorous!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jaz

• Azael

• snuffypuffer

• Talon

daft? yep

Evolution relies on passing on more successful genetic traites to the next generation. This animals with these traites have advatages over other of their species they will live longer and some have a larger chance of producing young. Given a few thousand/million years these traites are spread throughout all members of the species. Enough changes to make the animal gentically different from the original make it a new species.

Humans no longer follow this rule, even the weakest of our species can now live long lives and breed. The same genetic material in this gernation will be in the next and the next and the next. Traites which give someone an advantage have no ability to give its carrier the advantage over the others to produce more children.

Even if we have new technologies there is no reason how any chain of genetic mutations which would turn us into brains surrounded by fat would spread throughout the species considering, if anything, it is disadvantagous compared to our current forms.

The fact is medicine has killed of survival of the fittest in our species, evolution for humans will no longer happen in our current society. However what could be happening is all these surviving gentic weaknesses are spreading and building up a time bomb of gentic problems for the furture.

Indeed your friends argument is 'daft' tongue.gifgrin2.gif

However what could be happening is all these surviving gentic weaknesses are spreading and building up a time bomb of gentic problems for the furture.

... I think we should ban the use of medicines to protect human genes.. heck.. maybe those <insert a cult name here> are correct laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

... I think we should ban the use of medicines to protect human genes.. heck.. maybe those <insert a cult name here> are correct

Hardly, banning the use of medicine on the basis of a theory which has not been proven correct and following some far right ideology is not the answer tongue.gif

Is it not true that one day we may be able to choose which genes are inherited ? We could evolve ourselves so maybe its not that big of a problem .

Yes I do agree that modern medicine has stopped (or at least drastically slowed down) human evolution. We are the only species that no longer has 'survival of the fittest'. And we are allowing as many bad genes to be passed as good genes.

Though as a species we have also evolved to have Conscience, guilt, morals, and ethics.

This is what seperates us from the other animals.

for example:

Wolves are willing to sacrifice a fellow member of their kind for the better of their species as a whole, and only the 2 strongest members of each pack (the alphas) are allowed to reproduce.

Humans are willing to sacrifice the evolution of their species to save someone they love and care about, and we give everyone the right to breed even if we know that their baby will have a terrible, incurable illness or deformity.

We have become seperated from the laws of nature. But, like also mentioned, while we are not physically evolving anymore- we are becoming more evolved in technology therefore someday we'll probably make up for all our lost evolution time by high-tech methods of selecting which genes are and aren't passed on. So even if someone with hereditary problems wants to reproduce, they will be able to chose not to have those bad genes passed on to their offspring.

So in humans, technological evolution has taken the place of physical evolution.

we are becoming more evolved in technology therefore someday we'll probably make up for all our lost evolution time by high-tech methods of selecting which genes are and aren't passed on. So even if someone with hereditary problems wants to reproduce, they will be able to chose not to have those bad genes passed on to their offspring.

Certainly better than following some cult belief that only perfect humans can breed thumbsup.gif

Although if it involves cloning I'm worried of what could arise. The removal of proneness to heart disease, cancer or altzimers etc could eventually lead on to removal of traits which have nothing to do with health and instead are about designer babies… that scares the cr*p out of me. sad.gif

Hopefully, instead medicine will just advance so far thats its like, take 1 tablet a month when pregnant and your baby will have prefect health... a pipe dream yes, tongue.gif but you never know.

The humans are now begining to own their own destiny, speaking of natural evolution of course. Genetic engenering and cybernetics will allow humankind to get almost any posible modification to their own bodys and genes...

Has anyone seen the movie Gattaca, I think that is what will happen if they play around with our genetic make up, soon people like you and I will become invalid's, it's a scary thought

I saw Gattica.... I don't wann live there crying.gif

I wanna live in a United Federation of Planets crying.gif

Has anyone seen the movie Gattaca, I think that is what will happen if they play around with our genetic make up, soon people like you and I will become invalid's, it's a scary thought

Great film BTW thumbsup.gif

Yeah i see where your goin but that was a very extreme view of where humanity will end up (assumin we wont blow ourselves to smithereens 1st).

I think we'll end up in the middle .

I wann be a member of the united federation of planets as well. grin2.gif

Humans will PROBABLY no longer evolve, since evolution is chiefly influenced by isolation, and humanity has a habit of going everywhere nowadays.

It is, however, very probably that all races will eventually be melded into one.

yes, within acouple hundred years all the races on earth will be blended pretty good. although, i see nothing wrong with this theory, it is the evolution of our technology which will change our being.

I think as we evolve and we explore strange new worlds, to seek out...er, sorry.

I think we will eventually find ourselves on new planets where the human race will evolve at different speeds and in different directions. Each form of humanity will be unique.

Yes, Ok, I referred to Star Trek but then, why not? alien.gif

I think Waterworld, the Kevin Costner movie may be a vision of how we will evolve in the future... the ice caps ARE melting more and more

A friend of mine recently introduced me to an interesting theory, the theory is that man millions of years from now be a brain simply surrounded by fat.. the reasoning for this is dependance on software and hardware that as time goes on is only increasing exponentially.

Oh great, not only we were fat from over-eating and inactivity, but so is our brain.

30 min, 3 times a week poeple is all you really need! get yourselves a walkman and books on cd's, your local liberey, pop in the cd, and go for a walk!

I think Waterworld, the Kevin Costner movie may be a vision of how we will evolve in the future... the ice caps ARE melting more and more

Yeah, but global warming is more or less a fairly insignificant concern blown out of proportion.

The earth just a few thousand years ago was a much warmer place than it is now.

In the last hundred years the global temperature has risen less than 2 degrees farenheit. And we're supposed to be concerned about this?

We are already evolving. Our jaws are getting smaller and smaller over the years. So its my guess that we will get taller and possible fatter and have small jaws/mouths and the tops of our heads will be quite large.

*P.S. I already know my reply is really really stupid.

To add on to my previous, crappy post I would like to say that because the human jaw is getting smaller this would mean that the theory of evolution is more "accurate," than that of creationism. The fact that our jaws are smaller than before (because our jaws are no longer prone to tough usage with the eating of tougher meat we no longer need our wisdom teeth) shows that we DO evolve. The process is slow as with any other scientific evolution or change, but it does occur and has happened to allow humans to be on the earth right now.

To add on to my previous, crappy post I would like to say that because the human jaw is getting smaller this would mean that the theory of evolution is more "accurate," than that of creationism. The fact that our jaws are smaller than before (because our jaws are no longer prone to tough usage with the eating of tougher meat we no longer need our wisdom teeth) shows that we DO evolve. The process is slow as with any other scientific evolution or change, but it does occur and has happened to allow humans to be on the earth right now.

Evolution is a result of breeding.

So, if a group of inbreds with small jaws kept breeding amongst themselves (Only selecting the members with the smallest jaws from each generation to breed) eventually you would get a population of small-jawed b*******.

On a global scale, it is logicly impossible.

Alot of interesting theories there.

If man does explore new worlds we will continue to colonise them. Different worlds will have different atmospheres, Gravities and Light / warmth factors. So if we do evolve then we will each evolve differently depending on the planet we are on.

Gravity = High: Stronger Humans / Low: Weaker Humans, or bigger buildings

Atmosphere= Different chemicals result in different evolutions

Light = Too Much and we become increably bright to protect ourselfs or slinty eyes, too little and we will have big eyes (Grey Style)

Warmth = Too much and we'll be skinny, too little and we'll be fat as hell.

So it does depend. Earth Humans have evolved into a state where we are optimised to live on this world effectivly. Therefore we don't need to evolve again.

We have reached our maximum for THIS planet.

Other planets will have evolutionary options, but thats further into the future.

Possibly we humans could evolve to become the first Martians!

Mars atmosphere is different, It has lighter gravity, less sun, CO2 For air.

So the first martians to evolve from us would be, a little bit wide (Fat), Possibly larger eyes, Their skin will be darker to get more light (For warmth) and they would have some sort of plant style Air conversion system to feed their bodies with oxygen or an alternative. God knows what they'll eat and how they'll build.

Thats for them to decide grin2.gif.

Dragon

Gravity = High: Stronger Humans / Low: Weaker Humans, or bigger buildings

Atmosphere= Different chemicals result in different evolutions

Light = Too Much and we become increably bright to protect ourselfs or slinty eyes, too little and we will have big eyes (Grey Style)

Warmth = Too much and we'll be skinny, too little and we'll be fat as hell.

That's assuming man cannot control the circumstances in the environment in which he lives (IE - Colonies ala Total Recall).

Your ideas aren't logical. Man would not colonize a planet or moon by simply running around on it's surface.

All those old movies where people find a planet's air breathable and immediately step down without space suits are really stupid.

A new planet will contain new pathogens and new diseases. Hence, even if the air is breathable, logicly the risk would not be taken until everyone is innoculated against all possible airborn disease.

Even then, man would still live in pressurized self-contained colonies.

Yeah, but global warming is more or less a fairly insignificant concern blown out of proportion.

The earth just a few thousand years ago was a much warmer place than it is now.

In the last hundred years the global temperature has risen less than 2 degrees farenheit. And we're supposed to be concerned about this?

dude! you are wrong. we should worry about this! during the last ice age (20 000 years ago) the average global temperature was only 10 degrees farenhiet less than it is today. the world is huge and when talking about AVERAGE change in temperatures 2 degrees is massive especially over a period of only 100 years not 20 000 like the last ice age!

heres a site that backs me up with the facts

http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA194.html

• 3 weeks later...

Alright I have a theory myself, I'm not saying it's the right one but I like it.

If we take a look at the evolution (the ape/man lineup) we can clearly see what changed physically. It's a somewhat constant change... loss of hair, smaller bones, less muscles, getting pale, jaw getting smaller and smaller and brain increasing in size.

Let's just imagine that those same changes with go on, after the "man" that we are right now. What could we get? I see this -- alien.gif

Funny theory uh? Maybe not reasonable but still interesting!

Let's push it a little further... some people say that time travel will never exist because we would have already had visit from "futur people". One thing is for sure, it's not for anytime soon. It would require an extreme amount of energy, more than the energy required to travel at the speed of light.

What if in 25 million years from now, our evolution ( alien.gif ) would have that ability of traveling at the speed of light... and travel through time? A flying saucer would make a nice design for a time traveling machine wouldn't it? grin2.gif

If alien.gif is our evolution in a far away future, then maybe "futur people" have visited us already... in a flying saucer!

All this sounds so silly, but hey it matches together doesn't it? I just like to imagine it and it makes me laugh at the same time.