Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

It was a dark and stormy night...

newbloodmoon

Halloween, Evil or Harmless  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Is halloween a harmless pagan holiday or is it the workings of some nefarious dark entity known as the devil

• No it's a simple pagan holiday to celebrate the harvest of the crops and the changing of the seasons.
    • The devil inspired this holiday to snatch souls away from his adversary the one true God.
    • What do Pagans and Christians have to do with anything, this is a holiday made to get free candy and play tricks.
    • None of the above, it's all just a bunch of hype.
    • Who cares, it's a stupid holiday anyway.

Ok writers and story weavers here is the challenge. In the spirit of Halloween, I want you to write your best horror stories and here are a few of the rules.

1) The story must be 200 words or less.

2) The story must start with "It was a dark and stormy night," (which does apply to your word count, so yes that's the first 7 words).

3) You can post multiple stories, but they must be separate postings.

4) Last but not least, the stories must adhere to the forum rules. (no baiting, explicit language etc. ).

So I will start this shindig with my own story.

It was a dark and stormy night, and despite the blazing fire roaring in the hearth I still had chills running down my spine. The wind howled and moaned like a hundred mourning widows crying over the dead bodies of their recently lost husbands. The oak tree out back would occasionally brush the roof with a bare branch, it sounded as if it were some unholy minion fighting for purchase on my roof top during this rain swept storm. Brutus my normally overbearing guard dog lay whimpering in the corner as he whined at every flash of light and peal of thunder that seemed to be directed at us an no one else. I sit here in my rocking chair, wrapped in the finest blanket my mother had stitched for me and sipped a nice hot cup of tea. But unfortunately I cannot shake the feeling as if some dark entity is lurking in the shadows of the night and peering into the back of my head, wishing for my untimely demise or even worse yet. To inhabit my body and take over my soul...

So folks this was my story, and I am really looking forward to seeing all the other creative souls out there jumping on the bandwagon and putting their stories out there as well. The stories do not have to continue where any other story left off. If you choose to do so then you must not continue off of one of your own stories with a different post as this would go over your 200 word limit for continuing your own story. Please no plagiarism, I want unadulterated creations of your own design.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• newbloodmoon

• She-ra

• The Original Chupa King

• SRCivic98

Perhaps I will add a second story to help kick off the creative juices if nothing else comes up from anyone. I encourage any and all to give it a shot, from the newest members of UM to the most experienced poster and mods are welcome as well.

It was a dark and stormy night. The shutters banged wildly so I startily awoke and ran to shut them. Moisture from the outside rains pattered on my silky white face. As I turned to retreat to my bed, I thought I heard a slight noise. My conscious brushed it off as nothing as I slipped under my warm and fluffy duvet. As I began to doze off I heard the noise again, this time much clearer and closer than before. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end as I knew I was not dreaming. With my duvet grasped firmly below my chin I looked left and right with only my eyes. I could see nothing. My body refused to move, no matter how hard I tried I was paralyzed with fear. Then I saw it. It was nothing I have ever seen before with piercing red eyes and draped in a black sihloette. It came closer. I was anchored in place. No matter how hard I tried I could not even scream. Then he came closer to my face. His face had changed and it seemed beautiful and sensual. I relaxed a bit only to find his fanged teeth melting into my creamy white flesh. I didn't want to move anymore. I didn't try to fight him away. I live only at night now with a crimson bow around my neck. I laugh at the strength I was given as I submissively gave in to the dark side.

meh I'll check for typos now...

very nice She-ra, thanks for playing along. As promised I will add another

It was a dark and stormy night as I traveled some long forgotten stretch of highway. My only source of noise at the moment was the pattering of the rain on my hood in this torrential downpour. The lightning in the distance was too far away for me to hear the peal of thunder over the rain. Just on a whim I decided to turn on my radio, perhaps I could pick up something other then just static. As I fiddled with the dials I had my eyes off the road for merely a moment. When I looked up a person had stepped in front of my car. I couldn't avoid them but slammed on my brakes and sent them hurdling over my car upon impact. I fish tailed for several yards until I came to a stop, it was a miracle that I didn't wreck myself. After several minutes catching my breath, I looked in my rear view mirror and I knew what I would find. I couldn't see much due to rain and was startled by a tapping on my window. The woman survived?! I rolled down the window crying when I noticed her smile. With open mouth she lunged... then there was darkness.

Edited by newbloodmoon

It was a dark and stormy night, when the vamipres come to bite, and the city is in terror with happiness and fright. At once upon my sight, the bat flew like a kite, he flew into my hair, or at least I thought he might. On my stairs I sat, beside my welcome-mat, and suddenly upon my knee a little hand did pat. I jumped up like a cat, thinking of the fearful bat, but when I looked I only saw a little boy named Pat. He asked for candy treats, a question I would meet, and show my gratitude for the extra thumping beat. I at once went inside, but my mind went for a ride, when boy Pat disappeared in front of my own eyes. This story isn't kind, the ropes they do quite bind, I'm sane I ripped my eyes out in real fear that's why I'm blind!

:devil:

Very nice Allfather of Valhalla, I like it very much.

It was a dark and stormy night as three witches danced in a circle around a fire. They chanted in unfamiliar tones as I hid behind a huge oak tree staring in amazement. Suddenly their clothes fell to the ground to reveal nothing but pocks and warts. These witches were the most evil known to the universe. They were the fabled child killers. I held myself silently quivering as they smelled the air. The dancing suddenly stopped and the witches spoke in hushed tones. I felt on display even though I was clearly hidden. Smelling and chanting their eyes turned flouescent green. They slowly moved in my direction. I was trapped. I could not run or move for fear they would surely see me. They came closer and closer and finally stopped. They mysteriously disappeared! The next thing I felt was fire burning my flesh. The chanting became wild and morose as I took my last sweet breathe of charred life.

**Okay wait I'm starting to scare myself now! :o **

It was a dark and stormy night on my first time alone as an adult. the sound of silence was more than I could bare as I turned on the news to hear the bad news across the broadband. I turn it off to return to my haunting silent beat. Sitting for hours alone and no one to talk to and nothing to hear. There wasn't even much around to do except sitting around and think of my best friend Lui. She came from a far and seemed to have become a star. I sit and wonder as my lights go out. I look for a candle and matches for some light but then became into a heart stopping fright. A figure of shadows and the cold air of death. His breathing was of no lungs and his blood of no heart. His bones are the color of snow white. He looks at me without a face to see, raises his sythe and aims at me. As I scream I awake and find my self back home with mom and dad and my girl Lui....he came for me....so when shall he come for you?

It was a dark and stormy night, and I had been trapped in this cabin for days now. What was to be a simple family camping trip has turned into a verifiable nightmare. My entire family have been killed by that mad man, or thing or creature whatever it may be I don't even know. My husband was the first to go as he was the "leader" of the pack, them my twelve year old son and his twin sister. I alone must hide crouched in fear as I listen to the wind howl and rattle the windows this night. How much longer do I have I wonder. I can't hear anything outside the storm beating down upon my shelter, perhaps if I just took a peek to see if this creature if finally gone. I fear that he might still be out there, waiting, watching, hoping I would make a mistake. If I don't leave soon then I will be to weak to fight, so here goes nothing. I creep towards the door, twist the knob and pull the door open. A flash of lightning bursts from the sky and the thunder hides my scream. I had chosen incorrectly, now I will surely die.

It was a dark and stormy night and as usual in this weather the electricity had already gone out more than once. This time Belle sensed it would not be going back on, as the rain was getting heavier and that usually meant lines would be down somewhere that would not be seen to until morning. Never mind, she would watch the electrical storm light up the valley below for a while longer and then head back upstairs to bed. The only constant pinprick of light came from the cigarette that she held dangling over the decking that backed onto the bush. CRACK! And a flash of light lit up the trees along the edge of the escarpment......and amongst them she thought she saw a figure clambering up the rocks towards her. Who would be out there at this time? Must have been my imagination, she reasoned. Again a thunderous clap and the intense light for a moment lit up the surrounds. The figure! It was a man, much closer, this time – too close to have covered that amount of space in the dark times between the light. She could see his face, pale, rivulets of rain running down into his straggly beard, eyes fixated on her, breathing hard and fast and already making swiping movements with the knife in his hand.

Just a reminder to everyone who posts. Your story has to be 200 words or less. Makes it a lot more challenging I know.

It was a dark and stormy night. The computer screen flickered as a bolt of lightning flashed outside illuminating the mini blinds and thunder shook your very insides for a split second. A Kodak moment perhaps if your were not so intent on reading a few posts on U-M scary as some of them might be on such a night. Browsing the forums you notice a new post, posted by...you! But, but you did not post it. You click. It reads like you...but you did not post it. Within minutes another post and another all posted by you or at least someone using your user name. You then scroll down and see your user name in chat. Attempting to join the chat you cannot for some reason as it just hangs as if loading. The java applet begins acting up...blasted! Or something else sinister is occurring you feel. Another flash of lighting, more thunder, the lights flicker then power completely go out! Looking towards the dark computer screen as more lighting flashes you curse the storm for now you will never find out what was going on. You then hear cursing in the other room where you left your laptop. Slowing getting up, walking to the door you turn the handle even much slower, your heart races. Who is awake in the other room? Who is in the other room? You know no one should be. You walk down the hall and you see yourself look up to you but the eyes, the eyes, those are not your....suddenly the doppelganger leaps towards you with murder in its eyes!

Edited by Rosewin

It was a dark and stormy night with the scent of refreshing lilac in the air. Lavendar wisps danced around the room in unison. Slowly the lavendar circled; creating a trance-like state. Leaving nothing to the imagination; a form appeared. Daring not to look into its eyes; covers pulled up over head. Whimpering is heard. State of confusion sets in until one eye peeks out. Not realizing the love and divine that was shunned; the misty wisps were completely gone. Never to return again. Blinking eyes shed a tear; for realization sets in that it was not meant to be feared. Scared and alone, once again, truly the scariest feeling of all.

"It was a dark and stormy night deep in the jungles of Africa. My party and I were in search of the elusive forest spirit that had been terrorizing the local villagers. It was difficult at best and nightmarish at worst. This creature seemed to move in and out of the forest killing my men at its leisure. I am writing down my account in the event I never return. Our guides had left days ago, myself and the others have gotten ourselves hopelessly lost. I am beginning to think that this creature really does exist and isn't some animal with a lust for human flesh. If only I could... Wait, I hear something off in the bushes. I shouldn't investigate but something compels me to." -- Last journal entry of Jedidiah Stonechild.

It was a dark and stormy night and I prayed for the dawn to come. Fear had consumed me and robbed me of my sleep. All the ghoulish stories I like to read this time of year has sent shivers throughout my body. The storm was the perfect ambiance to making a good scare. Another chapter finished for the written word, the only thing scary now is the job I must now face.

Okay it was short and sweet ending to a post I had fun creating and posting in. Perhaps others will get a chance to add to this as it is moved to the front page once more. Maybe everyone is done, either or it was a hoot and I would like to really thank all those who participated thus far.

Edited by newbloodmoon

Maybe everyone is done, either or it was a hoot and I would like to really thank all those who participated thus far.

Oh no we're not done yet :w00t:

It was a dark and stormy night as I walked home alone. Rustling in nearby bushes heightened my senses. My pace quickened as I turned the corner towards home. Silence relieved my nervousness as I non-chanlantly took the final steps to my home's sidewalk. Suddenly, a huge man jumped in my path. Paralyzed with fear, I stood, mouth agape. He grapped my shoulders so tightly I thought my bones would break. He wore a black silky mask and a long black coat. I shivered as he picked me up off my feet and held me towards the sky. I felt like some sort of offering to the god demons. He laughed in low hushed tones as he placed me back on earth. Then he mysteriously turned and walked away. I will never forget the feelings that night or the nightmares I've had ever since.

It was a dark and stormy night, I had just finished my summoning spell and was rather disappointed. I wandered home with my head hung low as the rain pelted my head and plastered my hair to my head. Several blocks I have walked to reach my home. I reached the door and unlocked it stepping inside, closing the door I tried the light and nothing happened. "Damn" I muttered at the burnt bulb, now I will have to scrounge in the dark to replace it. When the deed is done the light flicks on and a stranger sat at my table. "Hello, sunny boy. Beelzebub's the name, taking souls is my game" he motions across the table to an empty chair and indicates a parchment for me to sign. Ohh how I am doomed.