Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Debates Discussion

Saru

one of my suggestion is that if i sent a debate reqeust to one of the members and he didnt accept it or did not get any reply that why could'nt you put this in the formal debates board requesting for participants...........

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Evangium

• Abecrombie

• Dying Seraph

Its an interesting idea, i'll consider that for a future update.

Just a thought, but when editing a post (particularly after a lengthy peroid, or the other party has replied) perhaps people could please, voluntarily, state at the bottom of their post what changes they have made.

I like to use italics tags, like in these examples

edit:typo if some minor spelling or punctuation has been corrected, but no change to the context of your post, or *

edit:added reference to Smith/Parks case - though personally I don't agree that you should come back and add information, but each to their own...

*edit: just thought of some more information I wanted to add on punctuation, or some other point to support my argument, but it involves writing a whole new paragraph.

Now I wouldn't do this after my opponent has made his or her reply, since their response is based on version one of my post. To do this could make me look either inept and unprepared, or decietful and underhanded.

If they haven't posted, then I'll take the chance that those reading the debate will just think that I haven't taken the time to properly construct my argument and have been posting off the cuff.

Edited by Evangium

^ The old debates seasons had a rule that strictly forbade the addition of new information once a response had been submitted. Any form of editing was supposed to automatically concede victory to the opponent. Though in this system we don't specifically have a scoring system as we did with the old debate judges. That might probably change how people view the debate. I still think it would be courtesy to your opponent not to chop and edit once it's been submitted.

Just my observation :)

^ The old debates seasons had a rule that strictly forbade the addition of new information once a response had been submitted. Any form of editing was supposed to automatically concede victory to the opponent. Though in this system we don't specifically have a scoring system as we did with the old debate judges. That might probably change how people view the debate. I still think it would be courtesy to your opponent not to chop and edit once it's been submitted.

Just my observation :)

Unless it was a typo or similar small correction, as was suggested earlier, perhaps? Otherwise, as you say, any "major or imortant" change could have impact on the other party.

Kind regards,

Karlis

Maybe what's needed is a 'How to Debate Thread/FAQ' in the Important Topics, since I've noticed in a few other debates, that either one or both parties don't really have a clue...

I'm certainly no master at it myself, but I'd be more than happy to contribute what I can to such an endeavour.

Edited by Evangium

• 1 month later...
Unless it was a typo or similar small correction, as was suggested earlier, perhaps? Otherwise, as you say, any "major or imortant" change could have impact on the other party.

Kind regards,

Karlis

I agree. After I posted I saw all the grammatical errors I made, some where a word would not be understood so I had to go back and fix it so my words were readable. :lol: It was my own ignorance <_< but I wish there was a way to show that it was a grammatical repair or such and not comopletely{completely} :lol: changing things around.

Edited by Dying Seraph

I agree. After I posted I saw all the grammatical errors I made, some where a word would not be understood so I had to go back and fix it so my words were readable. :lol: It was my own ignorance <_< but I wish there was a way to show that it was a grammatical repair or such and not comopletely{completely} :lol: changing things around.

Well, one way you could do it, would be to change the colour of the parts you've corrected, but that's just time consuming and would probably look just as messy (and some more impressionable types may waste years of their lives trying to 'crack your code' ;) ).

Better just to give a quick description your edit in a post script.

Well, one way you could do it, would be to change the colour of the parts you've corrected, but that's just time consuming and would probably look just as messy (and some more impressionable types may waste years of their lives trying to 'crack your code' ;) ).

Better just to give a quick description your edit in a post script.

I'll do that from now on. Thanks for idea as I have just started my first debate and did not know what to do to show what I had editited. Thanks again.

I read that the old scoring is gone from the debates. And now after the debate people will get to share their opinions on the debate. However I was wondering would there be a poll at the end of a debate to show how many people favor one side of the debate or the other? Or will we still have to scroll through peoples posts for that answer?

I read that the old scoring is gone from the debates. And now after the debate people will get to share their opinions on the debate. However I was wondering would there be a poll at the end of a debate to show how many people favor one side of the debate or the other? Or will we still have to scroll through peoples posts for that answer?

No, it's a case of wait for people to post and scroll through those.

Unfortunately it seems that whilst many people will look, few will post. I guess a poll could solve that problem of knowing how well you went, but I don't know if it's possible to add one when the debate changes to open status....

Unfortunately, I think the problem you'll find is that judging a debate on the basis of a poll might simply equate to a popularity contest. Regardless of how well a debate is done, a prospective voter is more likely to vote for a friend than someone they don't know.

Just a possibility to consider :)

Regards,

Unfortunately, I think the problem you'll find is that judging a debate on the basis of a poll might simply equate to a popularity contest. Regardless of how well a debate is done, a prospective voter is more likely to vote for a friend than someone they don't know.

Just a possibility to consider :)

Regards,

Thanx Paranoid.

Makes sense. :yes: Didn't even think of that. I could see now how there could be a few flaws to doing a poll now that I thought into the matter. <_<

Well, back to the drawing board. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Q: My debate partner will not respond. He put his introduction, I put mine, and he left me hanging for almost a week. What do I do now?

Q: My debate partner will not respond. He put his introduction, I put mine, and he left me hanging for almost a week. What do I do now?

Either keep hanging or PM him to see if he's still interested in continuing the debate. If you don't get a response (or he says he's no longer interested) you could ask the mods to close the debate for now, as in the case of this debate Link

Edited by Evangium

• 4 weeks later...

How long does the other party get to reply? I mean we have been waiting for over a week for checktheevidence, but they failed to reply.

I say they lose.

ETA: sorry - didn't read this page before I posted. I still say they lose.

Edited by Obviousman

• 3 months later...
How long does the other party get to reply? I mean we have been waiting for over a week for checktheevidence, but they failed to reply.

I say they lose.

ETA: sorry - didn't read this page before I posted. I still say they lose.

At the present we donot have any debate timeouts so you keep waiting for the other member however once Invision Board 3 comes debate timeouts may be introduced or so Saru says

Thanks

B???

• 2 weeks later...

I am so so sorry I am posting this in this topic but I just joined and I need help.

I do not know how to upload say my Photo or pick a photo to represant me.

And I do not know how to fill out my info for my profile.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Ah i'm sorry Biferi I hadn't checked this thread in a while and I missed your query.

You can access all the profile options available by clicking on My Controls from the menu up at the top. Once you are in there chose Edit Profile Information and Change personal photo respectively to edit your profile and personal photograph.

Let me know if you run in to any problems.

I am so so sorry I am posting this in this topic but I just joined and I need help.

I do not know how to upload say my Photo or pick a photo to represant me.

And I do not know how to fill out my info for my profile.

Thanks

Thanks I see it.