Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Example debate - Pepsi vs Coke

UM-Debate-Bot

MySummerJob vs Saru

This is a formal 1 vs 1 debate, full details on how the debate system works can be found in our Debates FAQ. The debate will begin with an introductory opening post from each participant followed by 4 body posts and finally a conclusion.

The computer has randomly chosen MySummerJob to post first.

MySummerJob is arguing in favour of Coke

Saru is arguing in favour of Pepsi

Once the debate is complete the thread will be open to member comments.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ODIN-X

• MySummerJob

• Saru

• ravergirl

Introduction

Lol it works!

Anyway, like my post, Coke is the first and original product. It came before Pepsi =)

Yes it does :lol:

Ok so that was your introduction post, so now for mine.

Introduction

In this debate I will be arguing in favour of Pepsi over coke. While I can't say I really drink much of either by arguing in favour of Pepsi I am exercising a good opportunity to demonstrate how a debate thread works so that everyone else can see one in action.

Ok that's both our introductions out of the way now, so next it is your turn to make your first of four main body posts which in this case will be in support of Coke. ;)

Coke is better than Pepsi because it is a patriotic symbol (for America.) What do you imagine when you think of the past, when you think of drinks in... say the 50's! Well, you better think of Coke, because thats where the soda industry started! With coke in food joints, homes, and work place. So that is one reason Coke owns Pepsi!

I am done with my first body... I am not so good at debates >_<... Maybe I should have chosen Punk for me and Rap for you... Oh well, Coke and Pepsi do have a kind of war going on anyway XD

Edited by MySummerJob

One thing to consider with these two products is the name, which of them sounds better ?

"Pepsi" sounds fresh, exciting and represents the type of chilled fizzy drink perfect to quench your thirst on a hot day. "Coke" on the other hand, well what can I say, its another word for cocaine and a type of carbonaceous residue left over from the distillation of coal.

Coke has a better mascot on it. Coke has a cute Polar Bear with Penguins. Maybe even a nice Santa Clause laughing away happily as he drink a Coke in a commercial. Coke has a more nice consistent mascot with them... Pepsi on the other hand... Well, they don't aim for cute... in fact I don't think they have a mascot(s)? Which makes coke better, because when you think of Coke. You think of a cute Penguin or polar bear. All Pepsi has for its self is its logo and its fans.

Logos and names are all very well, but which tastes better ?

Lets take a look at the "Pepsi Challenge", a contest that was rolled out across shopping centers and stores around America in the 70's. A table was set up on which was placed two blank cups, one containing Pepsi and the other containing Coke. Passers by were asked to try both and see which one they liked best.

The result ? Pepsi came out on top. ( Source )

This is a good indication that Pepsi tastes better than Coke to those who don't know which is which.

Ahhh, but in your link I found a quote which could dispute your claim that Pepsi tastes better!

In his book, Blink, author Malcolm Gladwell ascribes the success of Pepsi over Coca-Cola in these tests to being a result of the nature of "sip tests", which would fail to account for the cloying effect of excessive sweetness and glutamate and the complementary but counter-intuitive long-term preference for an item that would consistently lose in a blind sip-test comparison. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi_Challenge

So as you can see, the Initial sip might taste good, but what about the long term effect? I mean, sure some stick with Pepsi, but some get sick of it and migrate over to Coke. Also as a kid I couldn't taste any difference till I got older. Now I drink Coke and it pleases me. Pepsi has a weird tang to it. IMO

(Forgot IMO)

Edited by MySummerJob

sure some stick with Pepsi, but some get sick of it and migrate over to Coke.

Perhaps, but then some people who drink Coke would also get sick of it and migrate over to Pepsi.

Even if we accept the "sip test" argument of Mr. Gladwell it would mean that Pepsi is believed to taste better on the first sip than Coke does while Coke requires more than a sip to fully appreciate its taste.

Pepsi is therefore better at impressing people in 'sip tests' than Coke.

Perhaps, but then some people who drink Coke would also get sick of it and migrate over to Pepsi.

Even if we accept the "sip test" argument of Mr. Gladwell it would mean that Pepsi is believed to taste better on the first sip than Coke does while Coke requires more than a sip to fully appreciate its taste.

Pepsi is therefore better at impressing people in 'sip tests' than Coke.

Sure, you could say all that, but then why is there fans of Coke? Because Coke is well liked all over...

Why is there Coke in other countries? Why does Pepsi imitate some of the things Coke makes? (Okay so I set myself up for the same question about Coke, but meh)

Also why are there more stuff advertising Coke then Pepsi? (IE: Coke Dolls, Old fashion Coke bottles, Coke Recipes. Also soome Coke house supplies and clothing.)

All of these because Coke is better of the two! =3

(Okay so I set myself up for the same question about Coke, but meh)

You're right, the same thing could be said with "Coke" substituted for "Pepsi".

Also why are there more stuff advertising Coke then Pepsi? (IE: Coke Dolls, Old fashion Coke bottles, Coke Recipes. Also soome Coke house supplies and clothing.)

More advertising doesn't necessarily mean the product is better, just that it is more heavily advertised. One could speculate as to why Coke requires so much advertising. :P

Ok that's more or less the end of this debate now, we've done our introductions and our four main body posts and now its time to finish off with a conclusion from each of us to draw this example debate to a close.

Coke might have lost the battle... It still hasn't lost the war!

(Yeah I suck at debates =/...)

Edited by MySummerJob

Conclusion

Coke and Pepsi are both popular choices and while Coke might sell more Pepsi seems to appeal to more taste buds than it's polar bear drinking counterpart. At the end of the day though its really down to personal choice.

This concludes our little example debate, this should give everyone else a general idea of what a formal debate is, how it works and how it is structured. Debates can go on for twice as long as this one and be filled with much longer posts covering all aspects of a topic, it all depends on how deep you want to go and what you are discussing.

Now that the debate is complete i'll set this thread to [Open] which means other members can now post in this thread and comment on what we've been talking about, feel free to say what you thought.

Thanks to MySummerJob who is officially the creator of the first formal debate of this new section. :tu:

The coke guy got it wrong. The first soft drink was sasperila(the fore runner of rootbeer.). The pepsi guy got it wrong, most people couldn't tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi in those taste tests. Pepsi just simple should those who could.

I do not think there was a winner in this debate. Oh, and I don't drink anything with caffine in it.

Edited by danielost

COKE AND PEPSI ARE THE SAME THING!

Ahh... ye olde coke vs. pepsi debate....lovely LOL

Long ago, when I was young and carefree, I used to drink Coke. Then they decided to come out with the new coke, which sucked, so I switched to Pepsi. Was I ever so happy when they came back out with CocaCola Classic because Pepsi wasn't as good as Coke. Well, that classic never tasted like Coke used to, to me, and I found Pepsi still better than either Coke product, so I stuck with that, to this day. Over tyhe years, I found that the only noticable difference (for me) with Coke and Pepsi, was the way it is bottled. If it's in a can, I love Pepsi but can't stand Coke, because of the taste & smell once the can is originally opened. If they come in a bottle, it doesn't matter. And if I get either in a fountain drink, I swear it's a rip off and not the real thing of either product.

But that's just me. Everyone's tastes and what they experience are different. I still prefer Pepsi, but since both products are alike, Coke comes in for a close second to what drink overall I would prefer. Then again, whatever's on sale is best as well LOL

<font size='5' color='#800000'>MySummerJob </font><font size='5'>vs</font> <font size='5' color='#800000'>Saru</font>

This is a formal 1 vs 1 debate, full details on how the debate system works can be found in our Debates FAQ. The debate will begin with an introductory opening post from each participant followed by <font color='#800000'>4</font> body posts and finally a conclusion.

<Br>The computer has randomly chosen <font color='#800000'>MySummerJob</font> to post first.

<font color='#800000'>MySummerJob</font> is arguing in favour of Coke

<Br><font color='#800000'>Saru</font> is arguing in favour of Pepsi

Once the debate is complete the thread will be open to member comments.

Pepsi. Hands down. It's the drink for all GOOD Goddesses!

Ahh, the good ol' marketing ploy - convincing us that there are only two options. Coke or Pepsi. In many ways it's a lot like politics. America is polarised into Republican or Democrat. Australia has its Labour or Liberal parties. And all society just KNOWS that there are only two choices. Except that there aren't. There are dozens of political parties, each with their own ideals. Pepsi and Coke have conned us all into thinking these are the only options.

The sad thing is, it works. Coke really is "the Real Thing" :P

Here in the Middle West, we've gained a large Hispanic population. An interesting consequence is the Hispanic population themselves import large quantities of soda pop bottled south of the border. It seems the imported product is sweetened with real sugar, while the domestic product is chock full of high fructose corn syrup. Ah, for the good old days of honest to goodness sugar sweeteners!

The coke guy got it wrong. The first soft drink was sasperila(the fore runner of rootbeer.). The pepsi guy got it wrong, most people couldn't tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi in those taste tests. Pepsi just simple should those who could.

I do not think there was a winner in this debate. Oh, and I don't drink anything with caffine in it.

in my office we all drink a different soda. we can tell the difference between coke and pepsi by smell as well as taste. matter o f fact the sodas that we drink are coke, pepsi, diet coke, and dr. pepper.

based on the debate I chose water.

If you live in Atlanta, and order Pepsi, you would be be-headed...I used to drink only Pepsi, but now it's Coke. As for those taste tests that they used to have at the mall, half the folks got them wrong...A little sip didn't cut it... ;)

COKE AND PEPSI ARE THE SAME THING!

Um. No they are not.

Pepsi is much sweeter and Coke has a more pungent flavor.

Thats like saying coffee and tea are the same.

It comes down to personal preference.

I noticed that during the summer I drink more Pepsi and during the winter I drink more Coke...

Why? I am not sure. Maybe it is my subconcience deciding for me.

Maybe I crave the sweeter beverage during the warmer months.

Either way,

Mountain Dew rules.. :lol:

The majority of every restaurant I've ever eaten at serves Coke. Very rarely do I come across one that serves Pepsi. So either they're getting a very good deal from Coke or they know that people prefer it over Pepsi.

Mt. Dew is probably what keeps Pepsi profitable.