Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Last Debate

InHuman

I got home about 40 minutes into the debate, so I don't have the full picture yet.

But all I can say is that quite a few times Mccain looked dumbfounded and completeley lost/nervous.

Obama also spent waay to much time defending his points when he coulda just laid out the misconception, and then attacked Mccain on his stuff.

Oh and Joe the plumber? .... ( I thought it was Jose...)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AROCES

• Incorrigible1

• SoCrazes

• MaggieDruydess

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really watch the debates anymore, they're just spouting the same crap, and dodging the same questions, they've been saying/avoiding for months. About the only thing that could change my opinion of them at this point is if the following information on Obama is released;

1. Occidental College records — Not released

2. Columbia College records — Not released

3. Columbia Thesis paper — ‘not available’

4. Harvard College records — Not released

5. Selective Service Registration — Not released

6. Illinois State Senate schedule — ‘not available’

7. Law practice client list — Not released

8. Certified Copy of original Birth certificate — Not released

9. Embossed, signed paper Certification of Live Birth — Not released

10. Harvard Law Review articles published — None

11. University of Chicago scholarly articles — None

12. His Record of baptism– Not released or ‘not available’

13. His Illinois State Senate records–’not available’

But all I can say is that quite a few times Mccain looked dumbfounded and completeley lost/nervous.

I think you had it mixed up then, Obama is the black guy not McCain. :tu:

That was an excellent, very enjoyable debate with plenty of back-and-forth between both candidates.

I think Obama wins on this, in large part because McCain couldn't take him down. He tried - with the "spread the wealth comment", with Ayers, and so forth - but he couldn't do it. He did manage to get a few good hits in, though; Obama was more or less entirely wrong on the free trade issues, and McCain was right to point out that unilaterally NAFTA was idiotic (particularly since Canada is by far the largest foreign supplier of oil to the United States). At the same time, Obama hit him back hard on several issues; he knocked McCain into Repeat-Talking-Point-Anecdote Mode after correcting him, twice, on what the Obama health care plan would be.

In the end, I doubt it matters; the final debates rarely do unless they're the only debates.

I don't really watch the debates anymore, they're just spouting the same crap, and dodging the same questions, they've been saying/avoiding for months. About the only thing that could change my opinion of them at this point is if the following information on Obama is released;

12. His Record of baptism– Not released or ‘not available’13. His Illinois State Senate records–’not available’

Where in the law does it require colleges andd states to release private information? I wouldn't want people to have access to my private info. As far as his senate record, you can go to the senate website and see how he voted.

IMO, McCain painted himself as "another 4 more years" with his health care plan (I wonder how long the insurance industry has been lobbying for that deal where they can "cherry pick" their clients and the average "Joe" is left uninsured?), the voucher plan, and of course the wars.

From the way I understand the voucher plan is that it only benefits those who can afford to send their kids to private schools. Please correct me if I'm wrong; but, the way I see it is that if a pubic school "fails" (NCLB) in my town I could receive a $1,000 reduction ($1,000) in the cost of sending my child to a private school. The two private schools in my area cost over $8000 a year. I'd have to fork out at least $7,000 to send my child there...this is not in the budget for over 90% of the population. Net result of the voucher program is a $1,000 discount, at the taxpayers' expense, for the wealthier people. Sounds like, as McCain put it, "Class Warfare" to me.

12. His Record of baptism– Not released or ‘not available’

13. His Illinois State Senate records–’not available’

Why do you want to see his birth certificate or baptism record?

When someone runs for the Presidential office, they don't have the option to that much privacy tot heir past anymore. The American people have a right to ANY past information about a potential candidate. I simply cannot trust a man who intentionally hides nearly all of his personal past, especially when even the records of said past cannot be found.

Politics are not my forte but i am interested in whom will be our next president!!! I vote for Corvis lol

I got home about 40 minutes into the debate, so I don't have the full picture yet.

And Obama looked ridiculous with his smarmy, smirky smile, as he wrote notes. What's with all the notes, Barry?

Alot of hot-air out of both of their mouths. But until we allow 3rd party candidates a voice in these debates, this is what we'll always have.

Correct me if I'm incorrect, but I still didn't hear any programs or services BHO would cut due to the economic crisis.

Correct me if I'm incorrect, but I still didn't hear any programs or services BHO would cut due to the economic crisis.

I believe he said he was going to cut subsidies for insurance companies.

I believe he said he was going to cut subsidies for insurance companies.

Maybe you're right. As if that could possibly solve BHO's entire needs in the cutting department. Heh!

BTW, Barry kept mentioning how he'd utilize his pencil and scalpel and take care of budget cuts in a careful manner. What the heck is he talking about? From Wiki:

Line Item Veto Act of 1996

Presidents have repeatedly asked Congress to give them a line item veto power. According to Louis Fisher in The Politics of Shared Power, Ronald Reagan said to Congress in his 1986 State of the Union address, "Tonight I ask you to give me what forty-three governors have: Give me a line-item veto this year. Give me the authority to veto waste, and I'll take the responsibility, I'll make the cuts, I'll take the heat." Bill Clinton echoed the request in his State of the Union address in 1995.

The President was briefly granted this power by the Line Item Veto Act of 1996, passed by Congress in order to control "pork barrel spending" that favors a particular region rather than the nation as a whole. The line-item veto was used 11 times to strike 82 items from the federal budget by President Bill Clinton. [3][4]

However, U.S. District Court Judge Thomas F. Hogan ruled on February 12, 1998, that unilateral amendment or repeal of only parts of statutes violated the U.S. Constitution. This ruling was subsequently affirmed on June 25, 1998, by a 6-3 decision of the Supreme Court of the United States in the case Clinton v. City of New York. The case was brought by the then New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani.

A constitutional amendment to give the President line item veto power has been considered periodically since the Court ruled the 1996 act unconstitutional. Some scholars, including Louis Fisher, believe the line item veto would give presidents too much power over government spending compared with the power of Congress.[5]

Edited by Incorrigible1

I watched. I wasn't impressed. There was very little NEW information given, just the same things regurgitated. The only thing I can say with certainty is McCain is NOT getting my vote.

I did not like the personal attacks that either of them made in ads. I really wish one of them had taken the high road.

You are correct, the moderator asked him again but Obama elected to be vague and just said he would look into programs that is wasteful and not needed. Other than the subsidies for insurance,

he has no clue which govt programs does not work and he wants to be the President.

Edited by AROCES

I watched. I wasn't impressed. There was very little NEW information given, just the same things regurgitated. The only thing I can say with certainty is McCain is NOT getting my vote.

I did not like the personal attacks that either of them made in ads. I really wish one of them had taken the high road.

I agree with you...I know that they have to work really hard to get facts and figures down so that they arent incorrect in these debates, but after the first two I got the facts down good enough to parrot what I heard in the third debate for either side. It seems to me that either of them could have come up with something new...It is not exactly like they were playing Trivial Pursuit up there...

Mccain turning into a cranky old man wasnt impressive...I know he was trying to look tough, but it just ended up looking like he was about to yell at obama to get out of his yard...it was ridiculous...

Three debates...same junk. I am so glad they could work "joe the plumber" in there... :huh: I saw him being interview...that was pretty funny...he was glassy eyed and overwhelmed the poor fella...

This is all just silly in my opinion...

I thought McCain started off strong and tapered off toward the end. McCain's best moment was when he firmly told Obama that he wasn't Bush and that if Obama wanted to run against Bush, he should have run 4 years ago. McCain also did better on the free trade issue, and perhaps moderately better on the tax issue (although I didn't see the entirety of that part).

Obama destroyed McCain on healthcare. Obama not only laid out his healthcare plan with good specificity (something he doesn't always do), but also managed to defend his plan against McCain's criticisms, and managed to make sharp attacks on McCain's healthcare plan. McCain didn't adequately explain his healthcare plan, and failed to make strong attacks on Obama's. Obama also easily dealt with various attacks on his record by McCain, which I think may be due just as much to McCain's failure to press the issues as to Obama's succinct and direct answers.

Overall, I have to say that Obama was more impressive to me in the debate than McCain was. I will vote for McCain because I agree with him on more issues than I do with Obama, but Obama displayed the better performance last night.

IMO, McCain painted himself as "another 4 more years" with his health care plan (I wonder how long the insurance industry has been lobbying for that deal where they can "cherry pick" their clients and the average "Joe" is left uninsured?), the voucher plan, and of course the wars.

From the way I understand the voucher plan is that it only benefits those who can afford to send their kids to private schools. Please correct me if I'm wrong; but, the way I see it is that if a pubic school "fails" (NCLB) in my town I could receive a $1,000 reduction ($1,000) in the cost of sending my child to a private school. The two private schools in my area cost over $8000 a year. I'd have to fork out at least $7,000 to send my child there...this is not in the budget for over 90% of the population. Net result of the voucher program is a $1,000 discount, at the taxpayers' expense, for the wealthier people. Sounds like, as McCain put it, "Class Warfare" to me.

The voucher plan is really the charter plan. anyways its in the plan stage ...what happens if the child leaves the public school and goes to a charter the money goes with them........

the charters (public education also) are doing very well and they are competing very strongly with the public educational system and winning....our charter grew from 5000 or so last year to 10,000 this year..

I am in one in California its a virtual academy thats what they call it its done at home here , we have all the perks for the perfect educational situation for the child and the lions share of the money goes towards the education because there is little to no overhead..it requires time and commitment though on the parents part Obama mentioned this by the way.....

and the test scores are off the charts of course any kid getting a one on one education with every resource at our fingertips does very well ( the kids test in the 95 to 100.percent range consistently) .not to mention the curricula reflects the direction we are headed globally in other words it encourages critical thinking and prepares the child to compete globally within an economic base that includes college...few understand that our economic base is 80 percent college required the days of decent jobs with a HS diploma are gone... so far we have the worst educated kids and the lowest college enrollment rate i. People have to think ahead if they have kids.........charters have programs most PS will not be getting due to money and IMO phasing out over time..........The NCLB made a few really rich the manufacturers of the NCLB materials that is.... ...eventually PS will be charter anyways....

it has to be otherwise we are looking at a 3rd world country status..without education empires fall and they fall hard....

anyways mccain bores me he represents the old geezer mentality, he encompasses what is wrong with capitalism ..... and obama is our next president what else is there to add.....

Edited by Tangerine Sheri

I really try to avoid posting my thoughts on politics as it is one of the fastedt ways to make enemies but last night this came to mind and I apologize in advance it if offends anyone.

McCain made the comment "throwing money at the problem."

What does he think he is doing by giving everyone $5,000 to go out and get medical insurance? What kinds of penalties will he impose on people who use the money for something else? Not to mention that giving $5,000 doesn't fix the problem with the insurance industry. If anything it will cause a price increas. And on top of that, It wouldn't matter how much money he gave some people. I can't get insurance because of my cancer, so how does $5,000 help me other then trying to make arrangments to make things a little less difficult for my husband and children AFTER I AM DEAD!?

Obama's idea at least addresses the problem. If people with pre-exsisting conditions can get insured in a MASS program, that will not only give people insurance but drive down the price.

America is what? the 2nd riches country in the world? and the most techilogical? But we can't even see to it that every citizen had medical coverage? WTF is that?

American's pay enough in taxes that medical should not cost us anything more then we already pay in taxes.

I really try to avoid posting my thoughts on politics as it is one of the fastedt ways to make enemies but last night this came to mind and I apologize in advance it if offends anyone.

Nothing wrong really with expressing your thought, don't worry about making enelise who don;t respect your right to free speechuiet really

is just watching your surroundings anworst tham having

McCain made the comment "throwing money at the problem."

What does he think he is doing by giving everyone $5,000 to go out and get medical insurance? What kinds of penalties will he impose on people who use the money for something else? Not to mention that giving $5,000 doesn't fix the problem with the insurance industry. If anything it will cause a price increas. And on top of that, It wouldn't matter how much money he gave some people. I can't get insurance because of my cancer, so how does $5,000 help me other then trying to make arrangments to make things a little less difficult for my husband and children AFTER I AM DEAD!?

McCain wants to give you tax credit, not hand you $5,000.00 So you go provide yourself an insurance of your own and then you pay less in taxes with your tax credit.

Nothing wrong really with expressing your thought, don't worry about making enelise who don;t respect your right to free speechuiet really

McCain wants to give you tax credit, not hand you $5,000.00 So you go provide yourself an insurance of your own and then you pay less in taxes with your tax credit.

that still wont help me, or the other thousands of people with pre-exsisting conditions.

Maybe you're right. As if that could possibly solve BHO's entire needs in the cutting department. Heh!

What did McCain say he was gonna cut? I can't remember. Was it the thing about earmarks and pork barrel spending? I think that neither of them said alot about cutting programs because that has a negative connotation and people don't want to hear about good things that might have to be postponed or canceled, they want to hear about the new stuff they're going to do.

Just my opinion.

What did McCain say he was gonna cut? I can't remember.

Then it might behoove you to find out before posting. Just a suggestion.

that still wont help me, or the other thousands of people with pre-exsisting conditions.

Tell me, do you want a system that is better generally or just beneficial to certain situation?

Pre existing condition been addressed before, I say look it up I just can't remember the policies on it now.