Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

`Joe the Plumber' Owes Back Taxes

questionmark

`Joe the Plumber,' Who Dislikes Obama Tax Plan, Owes Back Taxes

By Ryan J. Donmoyer

Oct. 16 (Bloomberg) -- ``Joe the plumber,'' the Toledo, Ohio, man whose complaints about Barack Obama's tax plan were featured in the final presidential debate, owes the state of Ohio almost $1,200 in back income taxes.

According to records on file with the Lucas County Court of Common Pleas, the state filed a tax lien against Samuel J. Wurzelbacher for $1,182.98 on Jan. 26, 2007, that is still active.

Wurzelbacher was thrust into the national spotlight this week when he told Obama he worried that the Illinois senator's proposals to roll back Bush administration tax breaks for Americans earning more than $250,000 would prevent him from buying a plumbing business that would earn between $250,000 and $280,000 a year.

Republican John McCain, the Arizona senator, pointed to the exchange during the debate last night when he turned to the camera and said, ``I will not stand for a tax increase on small- business income.'' Directly criticizing Obama, he added, ``what you want to do to `Joe the plumber' and millions more like him is have their taxes increased and not be able to realize the American dream of owning their own business.''

Today, at a rally in Downingtown, Pennsylvania, McCain said that ``the real winner last night was `Joe the plumber.'''

Wurzelbacher's home telephone number is unlisted, and efforts to reach him by calling his neighbors and family were unsuccessful. Attempts to reach Wurzelbacher at the plumbing company where he works were also unsuccessful. The address on the lien and other records for him matched the address published by the Toledo Blade, which also noted the lien.

A Lien

The state of Ohio places a lien on real property after several steps to try to collect a tax debt, according to John Kohlstrand, a spokesman for the Ohio Department of Taxation who said he couldn't discuss any specific case.

If a delinquency notice goes unheeded, the Department of Taxation issues a billing notice, Kohlstrand said. If that is ignored, a more formal assessment notice is sent. Failing to appeal an assessment or losing an appeal puts the debt into the hands of the state attorney general for collection. The attorney general typically sends a collection notice and simultaneously files a lien.

``The taxpayers may not necessarily know about the lien,'' Kohlstrand said, although they would receive other notices.

In Wurzelbacher's case, the lien indicated that the notice was sent to a previous address in Toledo.

Full story, source: Bloomberg

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MasterPo

• questionmark

• SoCrazes

• AROCES

Wurzelbacher was thrust into the national spotlight this week when he told Obama he worried that the Illinois senator's proposals to roll back Bush administration tax breaks for Americans earning more than $250,000 would prevent him from buying a plumbing business that would earn between $250,000 and $280,000 a year.

I wonder if he can buy the plumbing business even though he doesn't have a plumbing license?

I wonder if he can buy the plumbing business even though he doesn't have a plumbing license?

Oh boy...I wonder if Joe could go back to just being good old Joe Six Pack?

Oh boy...I wonder if Joe could go back to just being good old Joe Six Pack?

probably, since there are layoffs. and beer can be cheap if you but the cheap kind.

Neither Joe the Plumber or his employer have a license. I hear a can of worms being opened.. :blink: Foirgot to add that Lucas County where both Joe and his employer live require licenses...

Edited by goalienan

Neither Joe the Plumber or his employer have a license. I hear a can of worms being opened.. :blink: Foirgot to add that Lucas County where both Joe and his employer live require licenses...

I can buy a medical business (or open one) and don't have to be a doctor. The business owner doesn't necessarly have to be licensed. It probably helps but not required.

Is the business a plumbing business or a contractor/handyman service?

I can buy a medical business (or open one) and don't have to be a doctor.

This is news to the AMA and the licensing boards of every state in the union.

Fine, he is not a plumber and he owes taxes. Now who gets taxed if Obama becomes President?

Those with an income of over a quarter of a million dollars.

Not Joe.

Edited by AlexG

Even on a recession?

Have you actually even looked at either candidates plan?

Would you even bother to read the plan if a link was provided?

Then why did Obama say he might not increase tax if economy stays weak?

How many threads to we need to deal with the same question?

I can buy a medical business (or open one) and don't have to be a doctor. The business owner doesn't necessarly have to be licensed. It probably helps but not required.

From what I understand it's a plumbing business, and even if it was a contractor they would still have to have a State license...

Then why did Obama say he might not increase tax if economy stays weak?

I agree. We're in a recession. The government shouldn't raise anyones's taxes at this point.

Poo, I wouldn't go down this road...it's a sure loser. By the way, 350 isn't out of the question.

This is news to the AMA and the licensing boards of every state in the union.

I own stock (guess that makes me even more 'evil') in a number of bio-techs and pharmacutical companies but I'm not a doctor. Guess I should expect a knock on the door from the Medical Police any time now.

I own stock (guess that makes me even more 'evil') in a number of bio-techs and pharmacutical companies but I'm not a doctor. Guess I should expect a knock on the door from the Medical Police any time now.

You don't read news do you? The plumber is outed, quit beating a dead horse.

You don't read news do you? The plumber is outed, quit beating a dead horse.

You just can't stand it can you? :rofl:

The news is not about Joe, his name, his profession, his tax situation, his licensing, etc.

The news is the truth finally came out of B. Hussein Obama's mouth on the record for the whole world to see. And no amount of back-peddling will take that away.

This is typical Democrat SOP - when the message is true try to destory the messenger.

Believe it or not there are a lot more Joe Plumbers in the country than "enlighted" people. :yes:

You just can't stand it can you? :rofl:

The news is not about Joe, his name, his profession, his tax situation, his licensing, etc.

The news is the truth finally came out of B. Hussein Obama's mouth on the record for the whole world to see. And no amount of back-peddling will take that away.

This is typical Democrat SOP - when the message is true try to destory the messenger.

Believe it or not there are a lot more Joe Plumbers in the country than "enlighted" people. :yes:

The "taxes" would hardly affect Joe, because Joe does not earn over 250.000 a year. And those that do would pay $125 more a month per $50.000 additionally.

How many people can you give a job with $125? right.... to imperil one job the person would have to earn at least $750.000 if we assume minimum wages paid and 5/8.

Just because the reactionaries don't know how to calculate (the national debt in combination with tax cuts is a good example of that) don't assume that everybody is mathematically challenged.

How many people can you give a job with $125?

You buy a newspaper or coffee for $1.00 and you gave someone a job. That's how a growing healthy economy works.

And BTW, that's "trickle down". ;)