Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

`Joe the Plumber' Owes Back Taxes

questionmark

You buy a newspaper or coffee for $1.00 and you gave someone a job. That's how a growing healthy economy works.

And BTW, that's "trickle down". ;)

As you said...you just forgot to mention that it is totally irrelevant who spent the dollar... just that somebody did. From own experience I can say that from a certain earnings level on you save more than you spend....

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MasterPo

• questionmark

• SoCrazes

• AROCES

You just can't stand it can you? :rofl:

The news is not about Joe, his name, his profession, his tax situation, his licensing, etc.

The news is the truth finally came out of B. Hussein Obama's mouth on the record for the whole world to see. And no amount of back-peddling will take that away.

This is typical Democrat SOP - when the message is true try to destory the messenger.

Believe it or not there are a lot more Joe Plumbers in the country than "enlighted" people. :yes:

...Because the McCain campaign has been a paragon of Virtue?

The "truth", as you put it, has been published for months. Obama's tax plans have been openly available and distributed through the Internet. There have been a zillion media stories on it.

Feel free, however, to keep promoting his tax plan.

You buy a newspaper or coffee for $1.00 and you gave someone a job. That's how a growing healthy economy works.

And BTW, that's "trickle down". ;)

Trickle down = getting pi**ed on.

It was tried for 12 years in the Reagan-Bush era, and resulted in a deep recession with the highest unemployment rate since the depression.

But hey, lets try it again, right?

`Joe the Plumber,' Who Dislikes Obama Tax Plan, Owes Back Taxes

By Ryan J. Donmoyer

Oct. 16 (Bloomberg) -- ``Joe the plumber,'' the Toledo, Ohio, man whose complaints about Barack Obama's tax plan were featured in the final presidential debate, owes the state of Ohio almost $1,200 in back income taxes.

According to records on file with the Lucas County Court of Common Pleas, the state filed a tax lien against Samuel J. Wurzelbacher for $1,182.98 on Jan. 26, 2007, that is still active.

Wurzelbacher was thrust into the national spotlight this week when he told Obama he worried that the Illinois senator's proposals to roll back Bush administration tax breaks for Americans earning more than $250,000 would prevent him from buying a plumbing business that would earn between $250,000 and $280,000 a year.

Republican John McCain, the Arizona senator, pointed to the exchange during the debate last night when he turned to the camera and said, ``I will not stand for a tax increase on small- business income.'' Directly criticizing Obama, he added, ``what you want to do to `Joe the plumber' and millions more like him is have their taxes increased and not be able to realize the American dream of owning their own business.''

Today, at a rally in Downingtown, Pennsylvania, McCain said that ``the real winner last night was `Joe the plumber.'''

Wurzelbacher's home telephone number is unlisted, and efforts to reach him by calling his neighbors and family were unsuccessful. Attempts to reach Wurzelbacher at the plumbing company where he works were also unsuccessful. The address on the lien and other records for him matched the address published by the Toledo Blade, which also noted the lien.

A Lien

The state of Ohio places a lien on real property after several steps to try to collect a tax debt, according to John Kohlstrand, a spokesman for the Ohio Department of Taxation who said he couldn't discuss any specific case.

If a delinquency notice goes unheeded, the Department of Taxation issues a billing notice, Kohlstrand said. If that is ignored, a more formal assessment notice is sent. Failing to appeal an assessment or losing an appeal puts the debt into the hands of the state attorney general for collection. The attorney general typically sends a collection notice and simultaneously files a lien.

``The taxpayers may not necessarily know about the lien,'' Kohlstrand said, although they would receive other notices.

In Wurzelbacher's case, the lien indicated that the notice was sent to a previous address in Toledo.

Full story, source: Bloomberg

Your right the man that doesn't have a plumbers license and owes 1200 in taxes is a much bigger threat than a man who is friends with a man who bombed the Pentagon and represented a group that is now being charged in 12 states of voter Freud.

Trickle down = getting pi**ed on.

It was tried for 12 years in the Reagan-Bush era, and resulted in a deep recession with the highest unemployment rate since the depression.

But hey, lets try it again, right?

Obama said he might try it again if the economy stays weak. :tu:

From what I understand it's a plumbing business, and even if it was a contractor they would still have to have a State license...

Perhaps licensed as a contractor.

I'm not going to debate Ohio labor laws and regs. It's not the point.

The point is:

1) Joe has a goal/ambition to own his own business by buying a business. Millions of Americans want the same thing. Millions have done just that too.

2) Most importantly, he got B. Hussein Obama to say what was really his intention. This proves what is really in his mind about public policy!

ps- It also proves what many have been saying in that B. Hussein Obama is only good with prepared teleprompter speeches. If a "dumb", back tax, non-licensed, fanstasizing plumber wanna-be can shake him up like this what will heads of state and far less friendly world powers do to him?!?! :o

just for anyone who wants a laugh:

"Joe the Plumber vs Joe six-pack" - mortal kombat style :P

EDIT, forgot the link

Edited by zitro1987

in related news:

October 17, 2008

Joe the Plumber? Not a plumber. And not even called Joe

Philippe Naughton

Joe the Plumber's story has sprung a few leaks. It turns out that the man held up by John McCain as the typical, hard-working American taxpayer isn't really a proper plumber and owes nearly $1,200 in back taxes.

And, officially at least, he isn't even called Joe.

The burly, bald Samuel J Wurzelbacher first came to public attention when he stopped Barack Obama on the street in Toledo last weekend and complained about his plans to raise taxes on America's wealthy.

“I’m getting ready to buy a company that makes $250,000 to $280,000 a year,” he told Mr Obama. “Your new tax plan is going to tax me more, isn’t it?”

Footage of the encounter soon made it to YouTube and caused a stir with conservative bloggers. It was also seized on by John McCain who mentioned "Joe the Plumber" no fewer than 20 times during the final presidential debate on Wednesday night.

Mr Wurzelbacher became an instant celebrity, fielding calls during the debate and facing reporters outside his home near Toledo the following morning for an impromptu news conference broadcast across the nation.

Then came the backlash. A bit of digging soon uncovered the fact that Mr Wurzelabacher doesn't have a plumber's licence. He acknowledged that, but said he did not need one because he works for someone else at a company that does residential work.

Local officials said that he would still need to be a licensed apprentice or "journeyman" to work in Toledo, which he is not.

And then there was the matter of his taxes - according to court records, Mr Wurzelbacher owes the state of Ohio $1,182.98 in personal income tax. Last January the Ohio Department of Taxation filed a claim on his property until he pays the debt.

Even if Mr Wurzelbacher was in a position to buy the plumbing business he works for, it would be unlikely that his personal income would ever climb over $250,000. Currently he earns much less, he admits, so would probably be in line for a tax cut under Mr Obama's plans.

Full story, source: The Times

------------------------------------------------------------------

fifteen minutes of fame over and McCain one screw-up richer.... end of the story

uh...

oops?

I'd say people who thought this plumber dude was a turn around for McCain... when it really just blew up in his face.

I'd say people who thought this plumber dude was a turn around for McCain... when it really just blew up in his face.

Let's say, just for S&G's, Joe was a total fabrication. A characterature.

So what?

You can't deny what he expressed represents the hopes and dreams of millions of Americas (as well as the actual achievements of millions of Americans).

And you can't deny it got B. Hussein Obama to say something rather startling!

The latter being what the media, if it was truly objective, should be focusing on.

Joe isn't running for office!

It's what Obama said that made the headline, so the media and Obama is talking about the individual instead.

By the way, let me repeat what Obama said to Joe the plumber, " I will spread the wealth around".

Edited by AROCES

My wife likes to watch some of those reality shows on VH1 and MTV. Tonight she was watching the finally of "I Love Money". The winner was a young woman. Don't know her occupation but let's face it: Not too many doctors or lawyers or Wall Street types go on those shows. ;) I'm sure her income before this was well below 3-figures.

Her prize: $250,000 - B. Hussein Obama's magic number for "the rich"!

Yet according to B. Hussein Obama she is now "rich" and he will grab a bigger chunk of her winnings to "spead the wealth around" because others deserve a chance too.

Now I'm not suggesting game shows as a realistic way to achieve wealth. But just think of it: This will probably be the biggest amount she will ever receive in her life. A few weeks before she was ordinary. Now with this one great success she has become "evil rich" and is going to be smacked with bigger taxes!!

To put it another way: Today your poor, tomorrow you hit the once-in-a-life-time mark, and suddenly someone like B. Hussein Obama steps in and says "Nice job. Now we have to take most of it from you to give to others who didn't make the mark."

Where is the fairness in that??

Let's say, just for S&G's, Joe was a total fabrication. A characterature.

So what?

You can't deny what he expressed represents the hopes and dreams of millions of Americas (as well as the actual achievements of millions of Americans).

And you can't deny it got B. Hussein Obama to say something rather startling!

The latter being what the media, if it was truly objective, should be focusing on.

Joe isn't running for office!

I still find it funny that you think saying B. Hussein Obama means anything.

I still find it funny that you think saying B. Hussein Obama means anything.

I just using the man's name. Are you ashamed or embarrassed of his name?

BTW, nice way to try to avoid the subject.

My wife likes to watch some of those reality shows on VH1 and MTV. Tonight she was watching the finally of "I Love Money". The winner was a young woman. Don't know her occupation but let's face it: Not too many doctors or lawyers or Wall Street types go on those shows. ;) I'm sure her income before this was well below 3-figures.

Her prize: $250,000 - B. Hussein Obama's magic number for "the rich"!

Yet according to B. Hussein Obama she is now "rich" and he will grab a bigger chunk of her winnings to "spead the wealth around" because others deserve a chance too.

Now I'm not suggesting game shows as a realistic way to achieve wealth. But just think of it: This will probably be the biggest amount she will ever receive in her life. A few weeks before she was ordinary. Now with this one great success she has become "evil rich" and is going to be smacked with bigger taxes!!

To put it another way: Today your poor, tomorrow you hit the once-in-a-life-time mark, and suddenly someone like B. Hussein Obama steps in and says "Nice job. Now we have to take most of it from you to give to others who didn't make the mark."

Where is the fairness in that??

This is passive income and I haven't heard Barack's plan for it. At the moment, the tax liability for passive income is very very high.

I just using the man's name. Are you ashamed or embarrassed of his name?

BTW, nice way to try to avoid the subject.

No, but you aught to be ashamed of acting like a third grader playing name games... :lol:

This is passive income and I haven't heard Barack's plan for it. At the moment, the tax liability for passive income is very very high.

I'm sure she will be required to withold 20% at least from her winnings (presuming she gets it all as a lump sum and not a pay out over the years).

But more over, do ytou seriously think he's not going to go after interest and dividend income too?!

No, but you aught to be ashamed of acting like a third grader playing name games... :lol:

Like Phalin or McPhalin or Dubbya? ;)

I'll ask you the same thing I asked Silver: Are you embarrassed, ashamed or made uncomfortable by his name?

Me thinkist you doth protest too much.

I'm sure she will be required to withold 20% at least from her winnings (presuming she gets it all as a lump sum and not a pay out over the years).

But more over, do ytou seriously think he's not going to go after interest and dividend income too?!

Who knows, most who get in office don't live up to their campaign promises. Right now, IMO, Obama is promising a rosier situation than McCain. McCain hasn't said anything concrete other than his health care plan (which would ruin millions of people lives) and the voucher system for education (which is a discount for the rich to send their children to private school). McCain hasn't distanced himself from Bush neither and Bush is the "front man" for the economic crisis we're heading into. History has proven that tirckle down doesn't work. It sure sounds and looks like the right plan but has proven horrendous when put into play. We're $10 trillion in debt ($33,000 per citizen - I have 3 kids - that puts my household at $165,000) and much of the debt was garnered under Repub trickle-down economics. Time for a change my friend.

I think anyone would be wrong to go after interest or dividend income. The retirement of millions would suffer and dividends already suffer a double taxation.

Who knows, most who get in office don't live up to their campaign promises. Right now, IMO, Obama is promising a rosier situation than McCain.

You're an adult. Do you believe everything a person tells you??

Use your mind. You said it yourself a rosier situation. With 3 kids you've been around the block before. Look me in the eye (so to speak) and tell me in your heart you understand how Obama's tax policy and other policies will change your life and the country for the better now and into the future!(?)

I've been to the Obama tax cut website too. It claims I will save around $4k under his plan. I don't buy it. It can't.

Think about all the things he wants to do:

Bail out the institutions.

Spend to the get the economy going better.

Plans for tax cuts for he claims 95% of the people

Plans for better subprime housing.

Plans for a better social retirement program.

Plans for universal health care (BTW, did you hear about Hawaii's - he's home state! - plan being cancelled after just 7 months!)

And then there's the countless unforseen events like hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, possible military action or terrorist activity, etc.

Do you seriously believe he can finance all that and still give you and 95% of the population any sort of meaningful tax cut?!